Home
Walmart really scared the crap out of Yeti with those new cups of theirs. What I think scares them the most is that people aren't stupid, and have figured out that if Walmart can make a healthy profit selling the same cup, for $10, that Yeti charges $40 for, then SOMEBODY is doing some serious price gouging...........

Yeti V Walmart

Yeti Coolers suing Wal-Mart over 'confusingly similar' items

By Robbie Neiswanger

This article was published April 17, 2016 at 5:45 a.m.

Yeti Coolers Inc. is suing Wal-Mart Stores Inc., claiming drinkware products sold by the retailer are patent and trade dress infringements, among other complaints.

The Austin, Texas-based company, which produces and sells heavy-duty outdoor equipment such as coolers and drinkware, filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas last week.

Yeti said items sold by Wal-Mart are "confusingly similar imitations" and alleges the retailer "has purposefully advertised, promoted, offered for sale, sold and distributed, and continues to advertise, promote, offer for sale, sell and distribute drinkware products that violate Yeti's rights."

Martin Thoma, a principal at Little-Rock based brand leadership firm Thoma Thoma and author of Branding Like the Big Boys, described the lawsuit as a "David vs. Goliath" case with a relatively young company challenging the retail giant. Yeti was founded in 2006.

"A brand is not that tangible thing itself, but it's everything that thing connotes and stands for and creates in the mind of the customer," Thoma said. "So Yeti is clearly concerned that all of its intellectual property, its designs, its advertising, and its brand building are being co-opted by another manufacturer and retailer."

Yeti's claims against Wal-Mart involve three heavy-duty insulated drinkware items it developed, manufactures and sells -- a Rambler Colster beverage holder, and 20- and 30-ounce stainless steel Rambler tumblers.

The United States Patent Office issued a design patent for the Colster beverage holder on March 29, while Yeti claims it owns trade dress rights in the overall look and appearance of the others.

Trade dress typically refers to the visual appearance of a product or its packaging. Federal law protects the trade dress of a product if it is distinctive and if any imitation is likely to cause confusion for consumers. A design that is functional cannot be protected under trademark law.

Mark Henry, a registered patent attorney with Fayetteville-based Henry Law Firm, believes the lawsuit is "fascinating" because it blends design patent and trade dress protection on drinkware, something that could be viewed as a functional item. He predicted it could be tough to show for some of the products, but said the case will be a "substantial" one for Yeti.

"This case brings design patents, which protect the ornamental appearance of something, and then a trade dress, which is the customer association of that brand," Henry said. "They are putting to the test the shape of their cups and they're claiming that their look is so famous that it's entitled to trade dress protection. That's pretty amazing. Think about it: a cup."

Yeti said in its complaint that it has created "unique, distinctive and non-functional designs" to use with its insulated drinkware. The company also said it extensively and continuously promoted and used its designs for years in the United States and, as a result, they have "become well-known indicators of the origin and quality of Yeti's insulated drinkware products."

Yeti sells its insulated beverage holder and 20-ounce tumbler for $29.99, and the 30-ounce tumbler for $39.99, according to the company's website.

Similar drinkware products are listed on Walmart.com. Ozark Trail insulated koozie cups and 20-ounce tumblers are $7.74, while 30-ounce tumblers are $9.94.

The patent and trade dress claims are among nine counts listed in Yeti's lawsuit. Others include trade dress dilution, unfair competition and unjust enrichment. The company is asking for Wal-Mart's products to be recalled and destroyed, and for customers to be refunded. Yeti also is seeking monetary damages.

Wal-Mart spokesman Randy Hargrove said the retailer is in the process of reviewing the complaint and "will respond appropriately with the court."

Wal-Mart has been involved in other infringement-related disputes. The company reached an undisclosed settlement in a trademark infringement case with Adidas in 2008 and, more recently, was among about 30 retailers sued by Converse for trade dress infringement. The U.S. Supreme Court sided with Wal-Mart in a case against children's clothing designer Samara Brothers, Inc., in 2000.

Yeti has been aggressive in defending its products lately, filing a trade dress infringement suit against Missouri-based Mammoth Coolers last December. The company claims Mammoth is selling coolers that are "confusingly similar" to several in its Tundra line, which can range in price from about $300 to $1,300.

Yeti also filed lawsuits against China-based stainless steel drink ware manufacturer Zhejiang Zhuosheng Industry & Trade Co., and restaurant outfitter The Boelter Companies the same day it sued Wal-Mart. Both lawsuits were trade dress infringement claims over 20- and 30-ounce stainless steel tumblers.

Unlike the Wal-Mart lawsuit, the claims didn't also include patent infringement.

"Yeti has worked really hard to develop that brand image and brand reputation," Thoma said. "They've spent a lot of time, intention, money and effort in building that.

"So it's an obligation, or imperative, to any company to strongly defend its brand."
Gonna run up there tonight before they get pulled.
I bought one of the Walmart mugs for $7.47 instead of the same thing in a Yeti for $32

Seems to work well. And I was in retail long enough to know Walmart is making a 50% gross on them, so what is Yeti making?
I didn't think I needed a stainless cup from Walmart till just now.

I may file suit to protect my brand image regarding, chairs, forks and sheets of paper. whistle
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Yeti also filed lawsuits against China-based stainless steel drink ware manufacturer Zhejiang Zhuosheng Industry & Trade Co., and restaurant outfitter The Boelter Companies the same day it sued Wal-Mart. Both lawsuits were trade dress infringement claims over 20- and 30-ounce stainless steel tumblers.

But, but, "free trade"!!!!!

Trump responded Sunday at a rally in Staten Island, NY, saying that over the course of the past thirty years, China has "waged an economic war against [the United States]."

"You have to look at my response to China," Trump said excitedly. "Because it is what someone has to say. Because we can't continue to get ripped off like we're being ripped off. You've got to look at it... I'm not talking about war. But they have waged economic war against us."

"And I'm not angry about China, in fact I respect them... I'm angry at our leaders for being so incompetent that they allow it to happen. And I said this as part of my response to the Wall Street Journal when they just called. I said, in the history of the world, this is the greatest theft ever perpetrated by anyone or any country, what China has done to us."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/04/17/trump_im_so_happy_china_is_upset_with_me.html
Wife bought one, we compared ice water in them, the walmart one was not as good. BUT it wasn't bad either....
Originally Posted by rost495
Wife bought one, we compared ice water in them, the walmart one was not as good. BUT it wasn't bad either....

This guy had different results.

https://www.facebook.com/Whoisthisreally/posts/10205893033073543#!/Whoisthisreally/posts/10205893033073543
Well, they just confirmed that it's a good'un...
If Yeti was building something in the USA and charging 2-3 x as much, I could sympathize a little. However, slapping your name on a $4 Chinese cup and charging $30, while having the gall to criticize Walmart for selling a $4 Chinese cup for $7 is another thing. All these are is an Aladdin or Thermos with a plastic lid (tumbler) or the same thing that you drop a can in (colster). I have little sympathy for a company that charges ridiculous prices for stuff they didn't even really invent or build. Bubba mug was pretty much the same thing, and has been around for years. You can get one for $10....
Originally Posted by add

In this area they are out of stock and the warehouse is empty too. Once word got out how good they were, there was a run and they are gone. I started looking as soon as I found out about them and they were already gone.
I hate to break it Yeti, but they don't have an exclusive on stainless steel insulated cups. They have been around for a long time.

I'm betting that WalMart can outspend them on the legal budget too. wink
Originally Posted by fburgtx
If Yeti was building something in the USA and charging 2-3 x as much, I could sympathize a little. However, slapping your name on a $4 Chinese cup and charging $30, while having the gall to criticize Walmart for selling a $4 Chinese cup for $7 is another thing. All these are is an Aladdin or Thermos with a plastic lid (tumbler) or the same thing that you drop a can in (colster). I have little sympathy for a company that charges ridiculous prices for stuff they didn't even really invent or build. Bubba mug was pretty much the same thing, and has been around for years. You can get one for $10....

I'm with you, F-Yeti!

I bought three roto-molded Igloo coolers over the last couple of years, largely because they were made in the USA!!!!!!

This lawsuit is like free advertising!
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Originally Posted by add

In this area they are out of stock and the warehouse is empty too. Once word got out how good they were, there was a run and they are gone. I started looking as soon as I found out about them and they were already gone.

This......just checked on line and still out of stock...and none in local stores
I looked for them a couple of weeks ago in the wal-mart near home in Mississippi and they didn't have any. I'm in Reno on a work trip and after reading this thread I went to the wal-mart next to the hotel and they had them. I picked one up, maybe I should grab another before they get pulled.
I was in a wal-mart last saturday, saw one of the 30 oz. cups, (only one on the shelf) and it sure looked like a copy of my 20 oz. Yeti. Looked to me like it could have come right out of the same factory, even had the same lid as mine. So maybe Yeti has a legit gripe. Forgot what the price was but it was a lot less than my Yeti 20 ouncer. I got mine as a retirement present to myself a few months ago and I don't think wal-mart was carrying those things yet. I really like the Yeti but now I'm wondering if it was a bit of an overpriced rip-off?
I doubt that Walmart will even bother to pull them. Yeti doesn't have a chance in hell of winning or surviving their tangle with Walmart. I've long known Yeti was way overpriced and never got suckered into buying one. I guess Yeti felt they had nothing to lose as they were going down either way.
[bleep] yeti and walmart...
Originally Posted by seal_billy
[bleep] yeti and walmart...

^^^^^this^^^^^
None in stock at our closest local Walmart here either. Store clerk said they sold every Ozark Trail tumbler and can koozie they had when the word got about them being comparable to the Yeti brand products. Said too they had 120 on backorder but no idea when or if they would actually get them. Looked on line at all the Walmart stores within 30 miles and none show any in stock.

I read somewhere last week that the Ozark Trail insulated cups were a special 'one time' run for Walmart and not likely there would be anymore.

A week or two ago Walmart's website showed they were not only out of stock but also had, "this product is no longer available".

The times I have checked online since then still show "out of stock" for the Ozark Trail tumblers and can koozies but it doesn't have "this product is no longer available" anymore.
Who the [bleep] looks at a price tag?

Dave

Agreed.
Send me a signed check and I'll send you a 70B 1911 w/pachmayr's.
and we wonder where all the 22 ammo is
Are y'all just now figuring out that Yeti is over-priced?
Originally Posted by blanket
and we wonder where all the 22 ammo is

The Yeti/Walmart cup makes for a great .22 cache.
I never had a Yeti, but I can brew a pot of coffee and dump 20 oz in my Ozark Trail mug and it will be nearly 4 hours before it cools off enough to drink. The first test was a cold beer in the mug. I put the lid on it and drank a six pack, then drank the one in the mug and it was as cold as the six that came straight out of the fridge. I'll stop at Walmart in the morning and see if they have any left for a spare.
Bill
FK walmart
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Some folk aren't there yet...
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

The (over) price is part and parcel of the brand marketing. Gotta admire Yeti for how successful they were at doing that.

Looking forward to seeing what Yeti's next, reinvented wheel 'gotta have', product is going to be since social media has pointed out that the Emperor's new clothes can be bought at Walmart for 8 bucks.

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I hate to break it Yeti, but they don't have an exclusive on stainless steel insulated cups. They have been around for a long time.

I'm betting that WalMart can outspend them on the legal budget too. wink

You are correct, my ss Nissan mug and two thermoses work great and were given to me in the early to mid-90's.
Hell I dont want my coffee hot for 4 hours. I usually piss it out in less than 3.
Originally Posted by deflave
Who the [bleep] looks at a price tag?

Dave

I do. When paying for a hooker. Believe me, you don't want to go below $15
I bought two of the Ozark Trail 30 oz. tumbler and two of the koozies after reading about them on here. They are good. That's for sure.

I should clarify. The tumblers are good. Have not used the koozies yet.
Yeti just committed suicide. They let the cat out of the bag.
If folks didn't know before now they know that the Yeti schit ain't no better than the Walmart schit.

Mike
There was one guy in California who successfully sued Home Depot after they knocked off his Christmas Tree stand, which was patented. So you can beat a big retailer in some cases. But trade dress claims are more difficult.

When Igloo and Coleman kept selling super-duper "5 day" coolers that would only keep ice 2 days, with hinges and latches that were frequently breaking, I admired Yeti for actually building one that kept ice cold longer, and was extremely durable. That I could respect. And the "super coolers" you see for sale in the market usually cost about the same as a Yeti.

Their Super-mugs? Ummmm....I think Thermos had that done a looonnnggg time ago. I bought one as a gift, and yes it works nicely, but they really didn't innovate that.

Originally Posted by carbon12
The (over) price is part and parcel of the brand marketing. Gotta admire Yeti for how successful they were at doing that.

Once they got Jim Shockey pimpin' for them I succumbed to their marketing genius. (not!)
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Yeti just committed suicide. They let the cat out of the bag.
If folks didn't know before now they know that the Yeti schit ain't no better than the Walmart schit.

Mike

Nah, no one will ever drive a diesel F250 jacked up so far that you need a stepladder to get in it with an Ozark Trails sticker on the back.
I think I'm going to grab a couple and test them against my Yetis just for chits and grins.

Dave
I think I'm going to grab a couple and test them against my Yetis just for chits and grins.

Dave

If you manage to get ahold of an extra 20 oz one, let me know. They're gone around here..........
Thanks for the heads up. I got a couple to test against my yeti's. No worries about paying too much, life is too short for warm beer!

I just want to be like deflave- schits and grins seeking.

Dave

If you manage to get ahold of an extra 20 oz one, let me know. They're gone around here..........

Hilham, he may even throw in for the shipping too.

Love "Campfire Nice"!
Originally Posted by add

Dave

Hilham, he may even throw in for the shipping too.

Love "Campfire Nice"!

I never heard of that as being applicable to Deflave............ wink
Any cooler that can keep ice frozen for more than 3 days should be called Tracy.

If they don't, I have a lightly used yeti I can sell you.

Dave
Originally Posted by 17_wizzer
Thanks for the heads up. I got a couple to test against my yeti's. No worries about paying too much, life is too short for warm beer!

I just want to be like deflave- schits and grins seeking.

I have the tumblers and the can holder thing. Although I don't know why because I've never held the same beer for more than a minute.

Dave
I seriously doubt the yeti reps have been physically torturing people into buying their products. If they can sell virtually all they make for $35 then more power to 'em.
Wife just picked up 3 30oz at our local Walmart, so there are some out there.
Last week when I got mine there was eight of the 30 oz, a bunch of 20 oz and a bunch of koozies. Today there was only 3 – 30 oz. left and none of the others. So I bought all three.

Life IS too short for warm beer

Yeti

[Linked Image]

Ozark Trail

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
maybe they mentioned it in the article but my Wal-Mart didn't have the Ozark Trail tumbler, they had Mossy Oak that looks just like the one pictured here but is was $14.97

They had 2 left and I was going to buy one then I asked myself...why in the hell do I want that?

btw, we have the yeti already.
Went to WM to buy OT cups to 10X on the Free Classifieds.

WM had CCI .22LRs on the shelf but was selling the last two bricks of cups to the scalper dude in line in front of me .

Always seem to be behind the entrepreneurial curve. whistle
Originally Posted by RWE
Any cooler that can keep ice frozen for more than 3 days should be called Tracy.

Lordy that.
I got a few of the 20oz ones and some of the beer holders.

I can tell you right now that the beer holder by Wal Mart holds bottles 100% better than the beer holder from Yeti.

Testing them side by side now. 10 pieces of ice per cup. 16oz of water. Thermapen monitored.

We shall see.

Clark
50 years ago I bought a nice thermos jug for $12.00; holds 8 cups of coffee...and still works!! It's ridden in my backpack on many hunts and made thousands of miles....on the road!!
You live in the south. Hot schit stays hot down there regardless of receptacle.

Dave
I got a few of the 20oz ones and some of the beer holders.

I can tell you right now that the beer holder by Wal Mart holds bottles 100% better than the beer holder from Yeti.

Testing them side by side now. 10 pieces of ice per cup. 16oz of water. Thermapen monitored.

We shall see.

Clark

Interested in seeing the results
Yep she sure does. grin
Originally Posted by ingwe
I bought one of the Walmart mugs for $7.47 instead of the same thing in a Yeti for $32

Seems to work well. And I was in retail long enough to know Walmart is making a 50% gross on them, so what is Yeti making?

Probably the same, or less, since Yeti is made in America.
Funny, all my Yetis are made in China.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by ingwe

Probably the same, or less, since Yeti is made in America.

Yeti is as American as Mandarin orange pie.......
It has been my observation that Texan's love Yeti's as they do Bluebell ice cream.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Funny, all my Yetis are made in China.

Yeah...the mugs are made in China.....
Here we go. 16oz of water per cup. 32oz of water were dispensed from the faucet to the measuring cup to ensure relatively consistent temps.

10 pieces of ice per cup.

Yeti at start:

[Linked Image]

Wal-Peasant at start:

[Linked Image]

70ish on the back porch:
[Linked Image]

Start time:
[Linked Image]

End time:

[Linked Image]

Clark
Drumroll please....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What does all this mean? It means I have more money than sense and way too much free fugkin' time.

Clark
You live in the south. Hot schit stays hot down there regardless of receptacle.

Dave

As usual...you ain't got a damn clue! I've spent more time at 10,000' on the side of a mountain that you'll spend in two lifetimes! But...I will admit....I ain't never been as 'high' as you!!
Clark/Dave/Travis,

good work but needs replicates.

Not mathman.

Have you tested them with beer for those still drinking? wink

Geno

PS, sometimes wal-mart is the best.........................

many times not!
Great test.

7 pages,...3600 hits,...about a cup

,....from Walmart.

You cain't make this up.
I have a hard time buying either one.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

,....from Walmart.

You cain't make this up.

Didn't Teal get over 100k hits on that terrible 2 chicks and a cup thing?
More importantly, early on Teal told me not to look. I'll be forever grateful. What's been seen.... smile
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I have a hard time buying either one.

Think 90* in the shade this summer Sammo. I myself am thinking pontoon cruises. wink
Bro, light beer ice cold from a cooler is down the hatch way before it has a chance to get warm.

I can see where they would be nice for higher octane brews.

,....from Walmart.

You cain't make this up.

Nothin' 'stainless' on that thread.
laughing

,....from Walmart.

You cain't make this up.

Maybe,..I don't recall.

I guess I shouldn't talk. I got a pair of stone washed Liberty overalls today that I'm pretty enthused about.

I just didn't realize that cups were such a big part of life.

I drink iced tea out of pint canning jars. I have 3.

I think one was made in China.
I would drink iced tea out of just about anything.

Hold the sugar.
Bro, light beer ice cold from a cooler is down the hatch way before it has a chance to get warm.

I can see where they would be nice for higher octane brews.

Not quite as many trips to the cooler when mowing may be another reason...

Aw hell, who am I kidding...

I bought them because I read about them on here and Yeti's prices kind of piss me off. blush

grin

The wife is pretty tickled with hers for ice water at work though. So there is that
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I ain't never been as 'high' as you!!

Few have.

Dave
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Clark/Dave/Travis,

Not mathman.

Geno

many times not!

Geno's East,

I am not a beer drinker. I'm a beer destroyer, as such I have always seen aftermarket beer holders as useless.

Until recently. Apparently in Japan those doy-doy'ing mothahfugkas drive around with huge bottles of Saki because the cupholders tend to remind me of late summer nights. They rattle and clank and spill.

This cures that problem and really helps me fill the hole:

[Linked Image]

Dave
Yep I got the Walmart ones too..

they do work pretty good but maybe 2/3rd as long as a true YETI.

But for 1/3rd the price of a YETI.. That is a sweet deal.

YETI is crazy expensive
Hilliam,

I grabbed you a 20oz.

Dave
I would drink iced tea out of just about anything.

Hold the sugar.

You're sweet enough...

Travis
Drumroll please....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What does all this mean? It means I have more money than sense and way too much free fugkin' time.

Clark
Sell one or both and buy some grass seed!! Mini-Flave has to have something to mow.
I just have him rake the dirt.

Dave
Good test....

I've long thought that anything "Yeti" contains, by default, a large amount of overpriced and hyped up BS. Much like "UnderArmor" and "Northface". The stuff works, yes, but not twice as well as a competitor costing half as much.
I just have him rake the dirt.

Dave
Good practice if he plays baseball.

,....from Walmart.

You cain't make this up.

That's a different cup...
Not sure which performs better.
I have the smaller Yeti and it keeps my coffee very hot for hours.
I'm pretty sure all double-walled stainless cups will keep hot stuff hot for hours.

If I drink enough tonight, I will conduct a heat retention test. Anything is more exciting than watching Cruz get his ass kicked.

Dave
Hilliam,

I grabbed you a 20oz.

Dave

That's mighty nice of you. Do I need to take out a loan to pay for it? I've heard of your predilection to scalping.......
There were 4 can coozies and a few 30 oz cups, I bought the koozies and will buy the cups for anyone that wants one, shipping can't be too much I bet, there's one on the way home ifn people want me to stop.

That's mighty nice of you. Do I need to take out a loan to pay for it? I've heard of your predilection to scalping.......

I only screw people when I need money.

And seeing that my Section 8 application was just approved, you're safe.

Dave
PM sent.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Clark/Dave/Travis,

Not mathman.

Geno

many times not!

Geno's East,

I am not a beer drinker. I'm a beer destroyer, as such I have always seen aftermarket beer holders as useless.

Until recently. Apparently in Japan those doy-doy'ing mothahfugkas drive around with huge bottles of Saki because the cupholders tend to remind me of late summer nights. They rattle and clank and spill.

This cures that problem and really helps me fill the hole:

[Linked Image]

Dave

Looks like quite the workable solution.

I wonder, are they planning an extra large size for the true beer drinkers..... you know, the fellas who like their "40's"? Yeti wouldn't cater to them, but Wally's....... you bet.

Geno

I stopped drinking 40's when I moved here. You see them sometimes but none of the quality stuff.

Dave
You shouldn't be drinking quality stuff straight from the bottle anyway.
Originally Posted by mathman
You shouldn't be drinking quality stuff straight from the bottle anyway.

This doesn't apply to Scotch, does it?
What a fascinating thread....
I stopped drinking 40's when I moved here. You see them sometimes but none of the quality stuff.

Dave

What, Old English 800 isn't quality stuff? I thought that stuff was everywhere.

OK, what about Schlitz Malt Liquor or Colt 45 (That's a good one for gun lovers, right?)

Geno

PS, probably not importing cajuamas of Superior up from Mexico yet, are they? Maybe down Cali way but not all they way to MT.
Yeti threads...more staying power than Megyn Kelly threads.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Yeti threads...more staying power than Megyn Kelly threads.

Of course. No one actually LIKES Megan Kelly........
You guys conned me into buying some of these.....
Originally Posted by high_country_
You guys conned me into buying some of these.....

Me too.... I got a couple of the 30 oz er's and I put 1/2 ice and 1/2 water yesterday at 11:30 and there is still a piece of Ice in the water they work pretty good for $10 bucks!
Dang, I feel like an idiot after spending $29 for a Yeti last fall and now seeing the Ozark Trail cups for a 1/3 the price. All that said, I still had to pull the trigger on some Ozark T's today.
Ozark's could become as elusive as 22 lr.........
Time wasting test #2:

Started at:

[Linked Image]

Employed:
[Linked Image]

Unemployed:

[Linked Image]

End:

(Insert pic of clock reading 8:50 even though I forgot to take this pic)

Employed:

[Linked Image]

Unemployed:

[Linked Image]

Clark
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

I actually found some of those today. $7.99 per 100. Mini-mags.

Dave
A bunch of bean flickin' about some sippee cups......
You bastards must be transgender.

Slave

P.S. The 30 oz. kept ice, with some vodka for texture, for 2 hours tonight while I mowed my moms field.
I had so much fúckin' ice left I poured a bunch more vodka in the bitch and am chugging that shít as I type.
These silver beauties are amazing.
Walmart is the greatest shopping experience ever.

Time wasting test #2:

Started at:

[Linked Image]

Employed:
[Linked Image]

Unemployed:

[Linked Image]

End:

Employed:

[Linked Image]

Unemployed:

[Linked Image]

Clark

Stepnine,
Thanks for doing the Lord's work on the stainless.
Your experiments are amazing.

Shalom
Time wasting test #2:

Started at:

[Linked Image]

Employed:
[Linked Image]

Unemployed:

[Linked Image]

End:

Employed:

[Linked Image]

Unemployed:

[Linked Image]

Clark

Does this mean that if I pour warm beer in there, it's going to STAY warm?????

Jeff
Plenty of the 40 oz cups available at my local Walmart yesterday. The locals must not have gotten the memo. Of course, a red plastic cup is considered upscale around here. Not much money left for luxuries in the budget after buying smokes and Mickey's Big Mouths for the month.

Originally Posted by wageslave

P.S. The 30 oz. kept ice, with some vodka for texture, for 2 hours tonight while I mowed my moms field.

This isn't the same "mom" you always post a picture of, is it?

Dave

Stepnine,
Thanks for doing the Lord's work on the stainless.
Your experiments are amazing.

Shalom

I'd hate to see you wasting your shekels.

Dave
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Does this mean that if I pour warm beer in there, it's going to STAY warm?????

Jeff

No more testing.

I have Trump/Cruz debates that need tending to.

Clark
Originally Posted by atomchaser
Plenty of the 40 oz cups available at my local Walmart yesterday. The locals must not have gotten the memo. Of course, a red plastic cup is considered upscale around here. Not much money left for luxuries in the budget after buying smokes and Mickey's Big Mouths for the month.

I spent all my money on cups.

Dave

Dave

From the looks of your kitchen decor, I can tell. At least you have a picture of "Mom" up on the wall.
That's my living room, dumb ass.

Dave

Dave

From the looks of your kitchen decor, I can tell. At least you have a picture of "Mom" up on the wall.

Family has always been off limits here, wtf is wrong with you?
He must be a cyber-bully.

Clark

This isn't the same "mom" you always post a picture of, is it?

Dave

Yes.

My report on my 30 oz. experiment has been concluded.
I have determined that 2-30's is alot of cold vodka.

Still had alot of ice in it this morning, which was good.
I used that ice on my forehead.
They have now started scalping these on eBay.
Clark: thank you so much for your in-depth testing. It confirms I made the wise consumer choice with Ozark.

Now....back to my peeps at Walmart! laugh

Still had alot of ice in it this morning, which was good.
I used that ice on my forehead.

TFF.

Crazy fugker.

Clark

That doth not bode well for thee.

Dave

TFF.

Crazy fugker.

Clark

Dude,
I pre-functioned with the koozies and some road sodas......
They were boss.

That doth not bode well for thee.

Dave

Dang. I KNEW I should have waited to post that........
If anyone wants some of these, Walmart is currently showing the 20 oz ones in stock on their website.
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

I actually found some of those today. $7.99 per 100. Mini-mags.

Dave

You live a charmed life!

Pretty good price too....
If anyone wants some of these, Walmart is currently showing the 20 oz ones in stock on their website.

In for 40! I'll pack 'em with .22 ammo and make a fortune! F U, Campfire, Ima be rich!!!!
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

In for 40! I'll pack 'em with .22 ammo and make a fortune! F U, Campfire, Ima be rich!!!!

laugh
Gonna try the 30oz out. Found two on eBay for $40 shipped. Yeah, someone doubled their money on me. But 2 for 1 compared to yeti.

Our local store had plenty the other day when I bought 6 of the 30 oz, 1 20, and two beer holders.
I looked at the Wal-Mart I work at today and could find none there.
After reading this thread, I went to every Wal-Mart in town and bought all they had. I'll be posting them in the classifieds, slightly marked up, of course.

Thanks for the heads-up. I just picked up two of the 20 oz. ones for a little over 7 bucks a piece at a Wal-Mart in Pueblo. They also had the 30 oz. ones for a little over 9 bucks a piece.
I just bought a 20oz and 30oz @ Walmart in Phoenix yesterday.

There must have been 50 of each on the shelf...
All this talk about cups. Why no testing on the Wally World roto molded, yeti inspired, coolers?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-26-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler-Grey/49229405

$96 vs the yeti roadie 20 which is $250

They also have a 52 qt, and 73 qt.

Sold out online and harder to find in store than 22lr.

Well, not really ever had these type of cups before.

Used for 2 days now and I'm sold on them.

All this talk about cups. Why no testing on the Wally World roto molded, yeti inspired, coolers?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-26-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler-Grey/49229405

I'd be interested to see how they compare to the Coleman Xtremes that run about half again as cheap. I bought a couple Colemans after reading their favorable reviews compared to the Yeti, been very happy with them.

Yeti.....A company built on an old saying

A fool and his money......
Has anyone come up with a cheap handle for these cups? I found a couple at wally world the other day.
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
Has anyone come up with a cheap handle for these cups? I found a couple at wally world the other day.

Handles? Yes. Cheap? No.

eBay Yeti Handles

I have one of the 26 qt coolers. Have yet to try it but it works great as an ottoman/step stool. I should put some ice in it and test.
This thing is great.... Filled it with coffee to see how long it'd keep it hot, stayed HOT for about 3 hours, and warm and drinkable for about 2 more.

[Linked Image]
So with all this ruckus on this thread, I had to stop at WM on the way home just to check. Of course they were out, said they had a 1,000 on order. Said they would never get them. Lawsuit will stop them.

First time in WM in a long time.

Went by WM and picked up the last 3 20's on the shelf. If nothing else, they will make good stocking stuffers. There was a bunch of 30's, but I didn't take any of them.
Originally Posted by Wtxj
So with all this ruckus on this thread, I had to stop at WM on the way home just to check. Of course they were out, said they had a 1,000 on order. Said they would never get them. Lawsuit will stop them.

They were selling them online yesterday, so I don't think they're very concerned with the lawsuit. They have a lot more lawyer funds than Yeti does.
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Yeti.....A company built on an old saying

A fool and his money......

I got to agree, though I've seen very positive posts regarding their ice chests, I seen them in person at the local Ace hardware last week...My first thought was they had the price marked wrong because I could have bought ten colemans for the same price...turns out they were on sale... eek
For anyone wanting one and can't find them, RTIC is the same thing just a few dollars more. Walmart also has the Mossy Oak brand tumblers in their coffee mug section that work just as well and have a spill proof lid. I have some of all of them between the wife and I and we cant tell a difference in performamce between Ozark, RTIC and Mossy Oak.

If you can call a $100 cooler a deal, I think their 26 qt may be their best product when compared to the cost of a 20 qt Yeti Roadie.
I do know Grizzly coolers will stay cold very well. My friend let my brother and I borrow his while we were working for him last August. It's dark green and sat in the August sun on the tailgate for two days and the ice didn't melt.

But there's no way I'd spend $5-600 on a cooler.
Originally Posted by mtcurman

Same here Ben, even though I'm basically rich +$500 is just too much for a cooler.

Seriously though, $50 is more my budget!

Same here Ben, even though I'm basically rich +$500 is just too much for a cooler.

Same here Sam, but I'm not rich...

If I had a $500 cooler, I'd be worried about having it stolen while not in camp or having it blown off or lifted from the back of the pickup. Too much stress for a cooler!! smile

Hell, I'm not sure our frig is much more than $500...
Lonny, good points, not to mention $500 could buy a lot of beer..........

I'm more of a beer rich, cooler poor type of person. That and an ice machine is never more than an hour or two away.

WAY out in the hills for extended periods of time the super cooler makes sense.
I have two Yeti coolers.

One was a gift, the other, I found on a road after it had fallen from someone's truck. So, I didn't pay for them.

Like them both well enough. They work.

But I wouldn't have forked over $800 for two ice chests. wink

Oh hell no!
Ingwewife just bought three of the 20 oz. Ozarks from the Wally World here. No, they aint worried about the lawsuit....
A buddy of mine son was stationed in the Philippines and called his dad and said he could get Yeti 48qt coolers for $50.00 new!

He asked if I wanted one, I said hell ya, shipping cost $100, so I have a yeti for $150.00 and am not sure it's worth even that much?

But at least I am cool now cuz I drink my beer out of a Yeti! crazy

As another poster has said a fool and his money will soon part!

Oh hell no!

Yep, take a generator, or buy a dry ice maker.
I'd rather miss out on an $20 dollar cup then have to spend my time in a Walmart.

Besides I have a Stanley thermos for hot stuff, and anything cold no worry.

They were selling them online yesterday, so I don't think they're very concerned with the lawsuit. They have a lot more lawyer funds than Yeti does.
This. Walmart won't stop selling them at all. Look how many other products, that they sell that look like other products.
The only time of the year I use a cooler that ice will melt is Antelope season but my big Igloo coolers have yet to ever fail.

We use 3 coolers and at Yeti prices that would be a fortune.

Price per cubic ft of Yeti vs a Kitchen refrigerator?

I bet those Yetis cost more.....just silly imo
I can't find a 20 anywhere!

Yup, I'd rather just buy another rifle or binos or LRF or more bullets and powder.....grin

I have no trouble with my little $15 Coleman.. laugh
I can't believe how many hunting camps I see right along the road where guys will have one or two Yeti's just sitting out in the wide open though.. Way more trusting than I'd be!
Those cups are easy to come by here, apparently. Buddy bought 3 yesterday and the shelf was full.
I can't believe how many hunting camps I see right along the road where guys will have one or two Yeti's just sitting out in the wide open though.. Way more trusting than I'd be!

Same here Ben....around here they're also a status symbol for all the brand new flatbeds with OR/WA plates parked at Costco...

Only thing I find odder than leaving a $300+ cooler out and unattended is this thread...
Can't believe how worked up folks around here can get over something so silly as a cup....
No wonder 22 ammo's become extinct..... crazy
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Only thing I find odder than leaving a $300+ cooler out and unattended is this thread...
Can't believe how worked up folks around here can get over something so silly as a cup....

Laffin', for sure... I only got one because I was in Wallyworld anyway getting camp grub.

Laffin', for sure... I only got one because I was in Wallyworld anyway getting camp grub.

Yea....even funnier is the same guys that are standing at WM when the doors open to get their hands on one of these precious cups wouldn't be caught dead buying "inferior" groceries from evil WM....
Duh inannet will tell ya what Wally's has these tumblers in stock, ya'll don't has to go driving to every store to find yourself one or two.

Let your fingers do the walking kinda sorta thing.

To me it's not so much about the Yeti knock-off $10 Ozark Trail cups per se as it is the "The Emperor's New Suit" truth about the overpriced Yeti cups.

As always, YMMV.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Duh inannet will tell ya what Wally's has these tumblers in stock, ya'll don't has to go driving to every store to find yourself one or two.

Let your fingers do the walking kinda sorta thing.

Ordered mine that way. Pick up in store next time we go there.
Sams Club has been selling the Igloo Sportsmans Coolers for a couple of years now.

Several magazines reviews have shown them to be built as good as with a few features that are nicer than the Yeti's at half the cost. I have both the Igloo Sportsman 20 QT and 55 QT and they work as well as my buddies Yeti's. 20QT was $99 and the 55 QT was $199.
Think I was the first to grab one of these of the shelf at the nearest Walmart.

Great piece, beats the bones out of the $25 Tervis Tumblers (double-walled plastic) we have in the cupboard.
For you guys that can't find these, I have 10 of the 20 ounce ones that I managed to get a hold of. If you want them, then $10 each, plus whatever the shipping costs.

Troy
Hahhahahah a..

Cup gouging.

LMAO.

Dave
Hahhahahah a..

Cup gouging.

LMAO.

Dave

Yep. A whole $1.50 over what I paid for them, which I figure should cover the Paypal fees...............
I'm just fugkin' with you.

I'd not give a fugk if you charged $100.00.

Dave
I'm just fugkin' with you.

Dave
I know that. You can't help it.
Yes I can.

I just get bored if I don't.

Travis
They still had them locally a few days ago, camping section.
Was at the local Sam's Club yesterday and by the entrance where they display the new products, they now sell a package of two Member's Mark branded 30 oz insulated cup for 19.98. The cups look very similar to the 30 oz Ozark Trail and Yeti except the lids have a sliding cover over the sip opening. 10 bucks a cup which beats the Walmart OT price of 14.00 bucks/cup.

BTW, I believe Sam's and Walmart are both controlled by the same family

[Linked Image]

Carbon,

That's a good deal.

Travis
Maybe updated lids that close will soon be available.

Doth thou not read the read the thread of doth?

Clark
Picked up two of the Ozark Trails at a distant WM last week. They work just fine. Now I find out I could have saved by going to Sam's. Someone has to pay for my overpayment, so I guess I need to see a lawyer.

Clark

Hast thou seen the spare lids for sale?

Clark

Hast thou seen the spare lids for sale?

Maybe.

10.00 bucks a spill-proof lid at Sam's. Comes with a spare cup.

Actually, I did not test if the Member's Mark lids would also fit Yeti 30 oz tumblers.

But, looks like there are aftermarket lids that are spill proof at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Splash-Resist...&sr=8-2&keywords=yeti+lids+30+oz

[Linked Image]

7.89 free shipping.
Yeah, after I wrote that I did a quick search, and yes, for the price of a tumbler at Wal-mart you can buy a Yeti lid that closes.

WM or someone will have them available cheap soon, I betcha.
I would think so.

That seal has to wear out eventually.

Dave
No idea if the genuine Yeti can/bottle koozie is as bad but the Ozark Trail clone is a tough buggar to get the plastic retaining ring/seal screwed on and back off again with a regular 12 oz soda can in it.
It's the same.

Travis
It's the same.

Travis

Thanks, good to know.

Glad I didn't pay the Yeti price and still would have to wrestle with it anyway.

Best to not open can until after retaining ring is screwed on.
I have both the Igloo Sportsman 20 QT and 55 QT and they work as well as my buddies Yeti's.

I will soon be buying a new cooler, and I have a neighbor that uses a Pelican. He swears by it, but it is priced along the lines of a Yeti. I want a good one, but would rather not spend my life's savings unless it is worthwhile. That said continuously trying to find ice to add during the summer is a hassle. What say all of you? miles
A Yeti cooler will insulate better than a lot of conventional coolers, but the main benefit to them is they are built like a tank.

No broken hinges, cracked lids, broken latches, etc.

Dave
Miles,
I bought my 55Qt. Igloo Sportsman Rotomolded coolers at SAM's club. They were $199 ea. I'm not sure if they still carry them or not. Internally, Igloo refers to them as the SAM's CLUB special. You might give them a call. It was a heck of a deal.

You might also look at Grizzly Coolers made in Decorah, Iowa, USA?
I am a member of Sams club, but seldom go there anymore. When they quit those large cans of Hills Brothers coffee and the chicken dog treat fiasco, really slowed me down there. I tried Hills Brothers at other places in the smaller cans, but it was not as good. Maybe they reformulated is why Sams quit them, but I no longer use it. I really have not found a replacement coffee that satisfies me, and I have tried a bunch. miles
Well, if you want a good deal on a cooler, maybe you can overcome that Hills Brothers hurdle and march your ass back down there like Kingston advised.

Dave

Originally Posted by milespatton
I am a member of Sams club

Nothing like paying fees to be a member and then not going . . .
Well I just got off the phone with Sam's Club. It seems they won't sell you just the cooler. You've got to buy a 50lb. bag of Jamacian Jerk Chicken dog treats and a 14lb. can of Member's Mark coffee before they will even show you the coolers.
Yep, give em fifty bucks, so you can shop there and save money.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I am a member of Sams club

No dog treats? No Hills Brothers?

FUGK. YOU!!!!

Dave
if spending $400 on a cooler is going to wipe out a man's life savings, maybe he should just eat a 12 guage
So I made a special trip to Sams early this morning.
Saw no Yeti lookalike cups anywhere.
Asked, they said are we out. they were not moving well so we discounted the price and they are gone now.

My luck with the WM/Sams stores.
Maybe I should go in them more often.
Asked, they said are we out. they were not moving well so we discounted the price and they are gone now.

Did you buy a cooler?

Shopping needs change. I may or may not renew. miles
Originally Posted by slumlord
if spending $400 on a cooler is going to wipe out a man's life savings, maybe he should just eat a 12 guage

Pay day loan on a Yeti would be pretty epic.

Dave
Originally Posted by slumlord

Pay day loan on a Yeti would be pretty epic.

Dave

It's probably been done
It's probably been done

Doing without beer a day or two might take care of the problem. miles
What problem?

Dave
It's probably been done

Then what would you put in the cooler?
It's probably been done

Then what would you put in the cooler?

Hills Bros. iced lattes.
Originally Posted by kingston

Did you buy a cooler?

I have had the Yeti coolers for the past 4 or so years.
I fact bought one big one each for the sons 2 years ago.
Gets hot here in Tx and they work.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sure enough, they are good for chairs.

Suddenly this thread became much more interesting.

And, I'm now a Grizzly cooler fan.
You just can't resist sending threads straight to the basement can you Kingston? lol
Nice umm ahh coolers.
You just can't resist sending threads straight to the basement can you Kingston? lol

Every one of those pictures has a cooler in it.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Nice umm ahh coolers.

The thread is about cups!

Every one of those pictures has a cooler in it.

grin
There are, at minimum, D cups in every one of those pictures.

Does that equate to the 30 oz. or the 20 oz. that nobody on here can seem to find?

I mean, who in the fugk in their right mind would want a 30 oz...
Who tha fugg wants the 20oz version? Your schidt stays hot or cold so you don't have to run for more hot or cold shidt when things get lukewarm.

Doing a search on Amazon I found a tumber version for my roadies: http://www.amazon.com/12-TANK-Stain...;sr=8-48&keywords=tumbler+cooler+cup

I'm shooting for a DUI. Going to head out after a few more vodkas.
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

I'm shooting for a DUI. Going to head out after a few more vodkas.

A man's got to have goals

Does that equate to the 30 oz. or the 20 oz. that nobody on here can seem to find?

As long as they're both the same size, I'm happy.

Us southerners drink a lot of sweet tea. We like to drink it from a big container that will keep it really cold. The 30 ounce tumbler fills the bill.

As always, YMMV.
[Linked Image]

Well WM had a few left from their last order.
Bet they are made at the same factory in China, just a different name on the side.
Wait, not enough care given to above pic. So here

[Linked Image]
I got the 20oz Yeti for Christmas last year and somehow this past Thursday/Friday I managed to lose it - probably when I went to a couple garage sales and left it on a table somewhere when I went to look at something.

I was at Walmart with my wife today and found the identical looking 20 oz Ozark Trails mug for $7.74 and the 32 oz model for $9.98. I bought the 20oz just like pictured above.

And just think, you know they all have good ice in them, and I'm always looking for good, free ice!
© 24hourcampfire