Home
Posted By: FOsteology Asheville NC - 04/25/16
Anyone here on the 'fire a resident of Asheville?

If so, please shoot me a PM if not opposed to answering some questions regarding this local as I'm still in the process of weeding through my list of possible relocation destinations, and Asheville is one remaining on the list.

Much obliged.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
Not a resident but know several that are. Sometimes called the San Francisco of the SE.

I would try to answer any questions you have.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
Here's something to look at.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Asheville-North-Carolina.html
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
Prayers sent
Posted By: ro1459 Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
Remember that North Carolina has heavy tax's compared to SC, GA and TN. When we decided to stay in TN it was the NC Tax's that made the decision for us. It would have cost us $2,750 a year more to live there than TN. Just a thought. Good luck.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
Are you a Transgendered Bathroom peeker?
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
Asheville is the LIBERAL locus in western NC. Truly the land of fruits and nuts with a healthy population of most every stripe of FAR LEFT loon.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
<ack> Sounds like Asheville can be crossed off the list.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
I didn't want to get in on it because I've never even visited there. But it's on the way to the coast of NC where I frequently visit.

That entire area down there is fairly congested with people because of its proximity to Smokey Mountain National Park.

It's a pretty area, but I'm always glad to get out of it when I'm passing through.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
Absolutely beautiful part of the country ruined by freaks
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
POTUS and the 1st Booty bought land there, that's all I have say.
Posted By: InternetGuru Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
The only good thing about Asheville is the numerous small beer breweries. Thankfully they fill growlers to go.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
The city of Asheville is a rat hole of libs. The areas around Asheville are pretty darn nice. Not my favorite part of the mountains, but pretty darn nice.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
A "fire resident of Asheville." What the hell is that?

I live 25 miles nw of Asheville and go into town all the time. What do you want to know?

[Linked Image]

Here is the view from my living room. Life is good here.
I like mountains and I like snow.
Posted By: hatari Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
Fost,
I take Mrs. Hatari to Asheville 3-4 times per year. It is a beautiful part of the State. People are telling you fact. It's a college town - UNC A'ville. You got the weirdo liberals that go with them. There are good eats in town and an explosion of microbreweries. The Biltmore is more like a State Park than anything else. You can get an annual pass, hike the grounds picnic, raft the French Broad river.

Outside of Asheville is conservative.

I heard Obama bought land there, but Moochelle ain't having a vacation home the South, you can bet her large ass on that. Not enough adulation to be had. Barry will go to Hawaii.

Love to visit but I'm not retiring there unless the weirdos and libs all die off. Then it would be a damn good place!
Posted By: moosemike Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
Billy Grahams hometown and home of the Vanderbilt mansion. Rather nice town but congested. It has it's liberal parts too and is known as the San Francisco of the east. It has some beautiful architecture.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Asheville NC - 04/25/16
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Anyone here on the 'fire a resident of Asheville?

If so, please shoot me a PM if not opposed to answering some questions regarding this local as I'm still in the process of weeding through my list of possible relocation destinations, and Asheville is one remaining on the list.

Much obliged.

My sister lives there. That alone would be reason not to go there.
Posted By: RWE Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
A "fire resident of Asheville." What the hell is that?

Seriously? You didn't get that?

If I had to work in Asheville, it would be worth a long commute.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Asheville is the LIBERAL locus in western NC. Truly the land of fruits and nuts with a healthy population of most every stripe of FAR LEFT loon.
That's what we heard the day we arrived with the bike in the toy hauler to tour the Blue Ridge Parkway.. One day in town convinced me the guy who told us that was understating to the MAX!!

San Fran's got NUTHIN' on Asheville...
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
How about some of the other communities up in the mountains? Waynesville, Maggies Valley, Hendersonville, Brevard, and even Boone way up in the northern end?

Surely there has to be a handful of Conservative/Libertarian communities up in the mountains.
Posted By: RWE Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
Boone is Appalachian State - liberal

Hendersonville is just an odd town.

Waynesville and Maggie valley are both quaint and conservative from what I've seen.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
North Wilkes area is nice and pretty conservative. Boone/Blowing Rock is a smaller version of Asheville.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
Originally Posted by FOsteology
How about some of the other communities up in the mountains? Waynesville, Maggies Valley, Hendersonville, Brevard, and even Boone way up in the northern end?

Surely there has to be a handful of Conservative/Libertarian communities up in the mountains.

Look to SW VA for that, and a lower cost of living and cheaper tax rate. Or, to TN for more of the same. All will give you the geography/environment you seek.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
I live 25 miles nw of Asheville, near Marshall. Different county.
The locals here are conservative and believe in the second amendment.
Lots of outsiders like me have moved in, in the past 20 years. Lots of Florida Yankees have moved to the mountains.
These outsiders run the gamut from liberal goofballs to libertarian/conservatives like me.

Yes Asheville is a liberal hippy hangout. But there are some great restaurants. I love Indian food, Mela restaurant is right in the hippy district on Lexington Avenue.
Girlfriend and I go down there about twice a month to get my fix of Tikka Masala, damn that is some great Indian food.
Walking to the restaurant we see the whole parade of the hippy freak show, with all the tattoos and nose piercings ets. Doesn't bother me it is rather interesting.
Anyway, if you want to live out in the country, shoot the 30-06 right off your porch and mind your own business this is a great place to live! I love it up here.
Bought 39 acres 20 years ago, before the real estate boom. Paid, believe it or not $58 K for the property, you can't do that today.

[Linked Image]

Here is my house, the near cabin is the addition that I just built last year. This is my castle and I am the King!
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
Here is an interesting story that tells you about the life and times of Asheville.
Several years ago, there was a little poaching bust about 30 miles southwest from my place.
There was an orphaned fawn, mom got killed by a car. The little buck took up with the cow herd. Little deer figured he was a cow.
Well, two years later, he was a nice 8 pointer, out in the meadow munching grass with the cows. Every afternoon 8 or 10 cars would stop and look in wonder at the tame deer, take pics etc.
So, one afternoon, a stupid hillbilly stopped there, and shot the deer dead with his .30-30
Right in front of a dozen witnesses.
When the deputy arrived, hillbilly was out in the meadow gutting the deer.

This was not in Buncombe County, Asheville. This was two counties over to the west, a very rural and conservative area.
The hillbilly got 2 weeks on the chain gang for shooting a deer out of season, and for trespassing while deer hunting. Minor misdemeanor stuff.

Unfortunately for him, the story made the news in Asheville. The [liberal, goes without saying] Federal DA in Asheville investigated the guy. Turned out he was a convicted felon. Rang him up on FEDERAL "convicted felon with a firearm" charges. Now, he needed a really good lawyer.
Why didn't his local sheriff ring him up on "convicted felon with a firearm" charge? Because, in North Carolina, if you have committed a non violent felony, have done your jail time and probation, you are allowed by state law to have one deer rifle.

But not so under federal law. US Attorney in Asheville threw the book at the hillbilly and he got 7 years in federal prison.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
Think Tryon, Sparta, or Todd, all in N.C. Thumbs up to Greeneville, Tennessee too.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
My daughter is graduating from Boone in a few weeks so I have been immersed in Watauga county for a few years. Nice place and I would move there in a flash. Not as liberal as you would think. Some very conservative old money there.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
My daughter is graduating from Boone in a few weeks so I have been immersed in Watauga county for a few years. Nice place and I would move there in a flash. Not as liberal as you would think. Some very conservative old money there.

That's one of the reasons I have Boone on my list. Plus, I have a sheit ton of family in the Piedmont Triad. Close enough to family.... yet far enough away! wink
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

+1. Much of Watauga County rocks. I went to App. in the 90s and loved it. I lived off campus, among the locals, and I really grew to like them.
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Think Tryon, Sparta, or Todd, all in N.C. Thumbs up to Greeneville, Tennessee too.

I love Sparta and I'm not a mountain person at all. One of my favorite outdoor trips was a guys trip where we floated the New River with some old college buddies fishing for smallmouth. We camped overnight at a primitive campground only accessible by water...it was a blast.

Asheville sucks plain and simple unless you don't mind being surrounded by hippies that haven't bathed in 2 months or tree hugging know-it-all liberals.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Asheville NC - 04/26/16
swannanoa/black mountain is nice laugh

But I'm not a helpful campfire 'doobee'

© 24hourcampfire