Home
http://southdakotahunting.com/article/earley-buck

http://ujs.sd.gov/uploads/sc/opinions/27590.pdf

Would you?

The record seems to disclose that Earley possessed sheds from a prior year and set out to scare Ericsson away from what would become Earley's state record deer.

Looks to me like Earley trespassed on the farmer's land where Ericsson had permission to hunt and Earley did not. Put out mineral blocks which are illegal in this state. Acted numerous times to threaten Ericsson away from that property and ended up with a state record buck.

Wonder if it was worth it?
That amounts to poaching in the least (my opinion) Don't records need to be for legally and ethically taken game? Sounds like Earley should not have the right to own firearms; and should be taken out somewhere and whupped.
Yeah, he sounds like a real dousche............
I have known some people that were like Earley and most were likely to spend a good bit of their life looking over their shoulder or in the company of LEO's. To me acting like Earley would never be an option, even if it was a world record.
All of that court mumbo-jumbo doesn't get the trophy hanging on Ericcson's wall. No hunting story for the good guy. The fool wins all.
I know the Earley type. No use for them at all.
BS! They should strip the deer and the record from the azzhole! And fine him for threats and trespassing and give him a few days or so in the pokey plus public service, while revoking his license if all this is true.
Hollow victory.

It's like cheating at cards. You may win, but you won't have anyone invite you to the games anymore.

Shame that when the stakes are high, the ethics get lower.
Depends on the stakes really.
My guess is that he will do jail time over meth or heroin.
I play by the rules. Makes life harder, but it's the real deal.
Originally Posted by benchman

But you could change that depending on the stakes, right?
I'm not much of a hunter these days. But anybody that gets emotionally involved enough with bagging a deer to do stuff like that isn't wired right.
Truly sad story. But like many already mentioned when, ego, fame and money get mixed with men and hunting - this crappy/illegal behavior isn't that surprising.

I always hope that someday justice will prevail but not holding my breath.

I bet that Cabela's or another collector offered Earely quite a bit of money for the rack too. All part of the issue.

Average hunter loses again.
It reflects badly on the rest of us as well.

The antis cherry pick stories like this to further their agenda to take away your hunting privileges.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Why would you say that? No.
Could we petition Boone & Crockett, and Pope & Young to have this A-hole's name removed from the books - for unethical conduct?
I won't change due to the stakes.

Not a bit. I actually passed a bit iffy shot on a big muley once just because I was not sure.

Almost everyone I have known would have emptied out just in case they could hit him.

Doesn't much matter what the stakes are. Even lots of money.

At least I hope there is nothing that would change my stance.

If he had a trespass order against him he took the deer illegally. When all is said and done I would imagine he will lose the record as well.
Originally Posted by rost495

Not a bit. I actually passed a bit iffy shot on a big muley once just because I was not sure.

Almost everyone I have known would have emptied out just in case they could hit him.

yup why i didn't take a iffy shot on the yuge biggly big buck i saw this past season.

Why would you say that? No.

Because a bunch of you are dealing in absolutes without knowing the stakes.

So you wouldn't shoot a deer at night with a spotlight in July if it was the only way to feed your family?

I sure as hell would and do it with a smile.
I would not, but that earley prick would only threaten me once!

Sure it does, you'd do it to feed your family, at least I would hope you would.

under those circumstances i would.
Sorry, but the Erickson guy sounds like a real pussy. I'll be damned if I'd let a guy intimidate me into removing my trail cameras and then leaving the property I'd been given permission to hunt....and stated that he was initially afraid to leave his vehicle? Shouting obscenities at me? Telling me to get my [bleep] and get out of there? And he's the one with permission to be there?

I've had stuff like that tried on me before and it turned out very bad for the other people involved. The times it's happened to me it was settled right then and there, with no intervention from law enforcement, attorneys, etc.

Damn guy...grow a pair. I quit reading after the first page.
To feed my family? Yes. To kill a big deer, no.

At least Kirt Darner did it right...
You can't eat records.
It's just a damn deer.

No justification for an illegal kill excuse to feed your family in this day and time. Welfare is available to everyone including illegals. Your hungry and welfare is unobtainable every community has food pantries to assist those in need.

Survival situation in the wild would justify those actions but a rare thing this day and time. GW
Yes but some people were raised to have a sense of pride.

I've not poached a deer to feed my family but I'm certain my mother wouldn't be here if it weren't for deer season being shall we say "extended" by her Dad and older brother.

And besides all that Steelhead states that it would be done to feed your family, not if you had to choose between poaching a deer and getting food stamps.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
If he had a trespass order against him he took the deer illegally. When all is said and done I would imagine he will lose the record as well.

I could have missed it, but I didn't read where he was trespassing, where he killed the deer. What I understand is, Early did trespass, but had a court order not to get on the land, anymore. It sounds as if he did have hunting rights on some adjoining land, and wanted to keep Erickson from hunting anywhere in the area.

Not saying Early was right, I believe his behavior and selfishness is terrible and certainly speaks volumes for the type of person he is. Wouldn't turn my back on him for all the money in the world. True definition of a scumbag.

But, did he kill the deer illegally?

I gotta give it to you, you think way outside the box and are very correct about absolutes. I doubt I'd have to shoot a deer with a spotlight in July to feed the family, fairly sure I could do it during light hours. But I get the point and you are right. We are lucky to have land here and likely due to that we'd never have to harvest illegally since we'd have many other means to feed the family, but you are correct, for some things I"d break a law or 3 if need be.

And I hope I'd never have to be at that point to break it, as noted but that's life you are correct.
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
No justification for an illegal kill excuse to feed your family in this day and time. Welfare is available to everyone including illegals. Your hungry and welfare is unobtainable every community has food pantries to assist those in need.

Survival situation in the wild would justify those actions but a rare thing this day and time. GW

I'd poach deer out the game wardens yard before I'd go on welfare.
I did question Erickson's behavior and response too. Seems like a firm GFY was in order as a response and perhaps that was the response, we simply don't know from this record.

I have to admit chuckling at Earley and his lawyer bringing this very public appeal and providing grist for the mill in such a manner. It seems like they might have decided to let well enough alone. Ooops.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I'd poach deer out the game wardens yard before I'd go on welfare.

Food pantries are not welfare, normally are ran through church organizations that are funded by contributions by Christians and non Christians both. Friends helping friends in need. GW
Oldman, we don't know where he killed the deer or under what circumstances but we'll probably find out.

As you point out he trespassed on the Grommersch's land to put out his (illegal) mineral blocks, and to put out his hay bales (not sure why he did that) antler traps (I confess I don't know what an antler trap is) and other items. He also interfered with Ericsson who it seems to me was hunting, again a crime in this state. I would say his actions to Ericsson were assaults and, laughing as I type this, "exhibition driving" as he drove away...ha.
If you spend much time in the woods/deerstand its not healthful to alienate other hunters. Always wonder about those hunting accidents from stray bullets.

Best to have someone drop you off in this area if you are trespassing/poaching as unattended vehicles seem to catch on fire.

Risky business trespassing/poaching as well hidden trail cameras identify the problem as well as game. GW
Lead and a backhoe.
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by 12344mag

I could have missed it, but I didn't read where he was trespassing, where he killed the deer. What I understand is, Early did trespass, but had a court order not to get on the land, anymore. It sounds as if he did have hunting rights on some adjoining land, and wanted to keep Erickson from hunting anywhere in the area.

Not saying Early was right, I believe his behavior and selfishness is terrible and certainly speaks volumes for the type of person he is. Wouldn't turn my back on him for all the money in the world. True definition of a scumbag.

But, did he kill the deer illegally?

^^^THIS^^^

In Early's defense, we don't know from the article where he actually killed the deer. However, if he was caught dragging the deer out off of this land, the deer, his gun and his truck should've been confiscated and he should've been lock up in jail.

Early's a scumbag.
If you spend much time in the woods/deerstand its not healthful to alienate other hunters. Always wonder about those hunting accidents from stray bullets.

Best to have someone drop you off in this area if you are trespassing/poaching as unattended vehicles seem to catch on fire.

Risky business trespassing/poaching as well hidden trail cameras identify the problem as well as game. GW

I had a situation a few years ago. I hunt on a farm and only 3 guys have permission. We each stay in our designated areas. Early in the season, I was talking to one of the other guys that hunt there and he told me that there were a couple of Hispanic guys poaching around there with guns during bow season. Evidently they were friends of Roberto who was the farm hand at the time.

During Early Muzzle Loader season, we had a period of Does only. This monster 10 point comes out and I almost squeezed on him, but my ethics got in the way and I let him walk figuring there's a lot more time to catch up with him legally. That's not to say one of the other guys wouldn't shoot it first, or someone on adjoining land might get him, but fair is fair. I spend more time there than anyone else, so my odds are greater.

A few weeks later it was bow season again and as I headed out for an afternoon hunt and getting close to one of my ladder stands and I see this guy sitting in a tree near it and he's got a gun. So I talked to him and was friendly and asked him if he had any luck. He said yes, and that he had killed the biggest 10 pt. he'd ever seen in his life. The SOB shot my deer.....illegally. POACHER!! So I asked him if he had permission. He answered "yes, from Roberto". I said that Roberto doesn't own this farm. I didn't say anything about the fact he was carrying a gun during bow season. I didn't want to start any schit, after all, he had the gun and I had a bow. I told him that this is my regular area on this farm and I'd appreciate it if he wouldn't hunt here, but for now, I'd go to another one of my stands. He said thanks and in the future he'd stay away from me.

I got to my stand and I thought my head was going to explode. I came real close to calling the Game Warden, but the I thought about the fact that he knows where I am.

The next day I called the landowner and told her what the deal was and she told me she needed to have a talk with Roberto. I never saw that guy again.
I obtained a copy of the transcript of the hearing.
Looks like Earley brought in a picture of the deer

Earley: "so fast forward to the second encounter, which was another mile away, on the same section of land, Your Honor. We were both--this is the deer or whatever. This deer was in front of my tree stand on Moriarty's ground. Karl Sterud owns the ground behind that. And Grommersches own the ground behind it on the other side of the section.

Later on, The Court: "Nobody is polite over a deer like that."

And finally the part that makes me laugh. The Court after granting the protection order: "Okay I hope one of you gets him this fall. You (Earley) are going to have to do it with a bow."
Depends on the stakes really.

You mean steaks!

This kinda schit is so gay. If you need a book to tell you what a "record" or "trophy" is or isn't, you're pretty much a [bleep]. And if your goal in life is to put your name amongst other [bleep], have the phuqq at it.

Early's looks like an unsavory character.

Where did he kill the deer? On property where he had permission? Might have missed it but I didn't see it mentioned.
Take the high road.
Might cost you in the short term.
Never the long.

Don't expect a reward for it either........but don't be surprised if something good should happen in timely fashion.

Karma.
The deer was killed about a month after the case was heard in circuit court.
So we don't know exactly where the deer was taken and whether he had permission to be there at that time.
Jealousy and deer hunting go hand-in-hand.

After the grief caused by Earley, if I were Ericsson, this Earley feller would have happened into a string of mysterious bad luck and misfortune. wink
Originally Posted by SKane

After the grief caused by Earley, if I were Ericsson, this Earley feller would have happened into a string of mysterious bad luck and misfortune. wink

Yes that's called applied Karma in my area. GW eek smile
Originally Posted by SKane

Yes that's called applied Karma in my area. GW eek smile

LOL. I freaking love it.
Originally Posted by BKinSD
The deer was killed about a month after the case was heard in circuit court.
So we don't know exactly where the deer was taken and whether he had permission to be there at that time.

Thanks.

Early sounds/looks like a rural thug. People that let horns get under their skin like that need a life.
looks to me like a proteined to death whitetail any way. those white antlers sure look like a farm raised deer to me.
© 24hourcampfire