Home
Posted By: 66niteowl ALONE ..who's next - 04/28/16
I say Mary Kate is next ...
Posted By: add Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/28/16
Is this a southern thing?
Posted By: Lonny Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/28/16
I had to laugh after listening to that black guy talk before being dropped off and seeing him tap-out in 6 hours... Hell, I could take a nap for 6 hours...

I also find it amazing how some people are so uncomfortable with being alone. Not to mention how some are absolutely terror-stricken at the thought of bears, cougars, and wolves...

In that area, I'd think a person would stand a higher chance of being killed by a falling snag, struck by lightning, or cracking your head after slipping on a slick rock than being killed by a cougar or wolf.

But hey, the pred thing is what makes it sell.
Posted By: djs Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/28/16
What's this all about?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/28/16
i'd have no problem, i enjoy being alone, its how i hunt most of the time.
Posted By: Pittu Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/28/16
Hell, I spend most of the time when I am with people, trying to figure out a way to get them to leave.
Posted By: Wyogal Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/28/16
Randy is next.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/28/16
I didn't get around to watching last season, had intended to try this one out, but probably won't. The first couple minutes was caught at the end of somethign else I'd DVR'd. Is the giant fat chick a tranny? Sure as hell looked like it.
Posted By: Tracks Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/28/16
The guy who burned up his fire starter.
Good as gone.
Damn stupid to be careless with life saving items.
Posted By: Lonny Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/28/16
Originally Posted by Tracks
Good as gone.

I don't understand losing something that important either?? There was a guy last year who lost his also IIRC? He left right after that. It might be a way to leave without saying you are giving up.

What surprises me is the people who claim to be "Survival instructors." Outside of possibly the military, who in the hell makes their living teaching wilderness survival? I live in an area surrounded by millions of acres of wilderness and don't know a single person who makes a living as a wilderness survival instructor. It must be a yuppie urban thing.
Posted By: centershot Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/29/16
Originally Posted by djs
What's this all about?

Reality TV - actually a pretty decent show.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/29/16
Like the Walking Dead?
Posted By: ingwe Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/29/16
Originally Posted by stxhunter

My thoughts exactly Roger. Build a cozy shelter, a fire, and leave me in the woods with the bears and cougars and wolves....and I'd sleep like a baby!

Id have to tap out after a couple weeks of no Egg McMuffins though.... grin

I did get a charge out of the black guy being schitt scared of bears laugh
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/29/16
Might be a fun show to volunteer for. But I'm probably not good looking enough... smirk
Posted By: RAS Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/29/16
For this week, I believe it will be the guy who dropped his fire stick. If he cannot find it or it is unusable when he does, he is toast.

The guy who is basically crying that he is away from his wife, for 6 days, isn't going the distance either. Good lord, 6 days.

I really liked the last season. Hope this season turns out to be as good.

Actually, this show and Forged in Fire are the only shows I watch.

Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/29/16
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Randy is next.

well thanks.....I guess cry
Posted By: Wyogal Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/29/16
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Randy is next.

well thanks.....I guess cry

Wasn't Randy the guy who burned up his fire stick?
Yeah, I think so. I don't think he'll last. He's got a little concentration problem.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/29/16
Yep, the guy who burned his ferro rod, he's next.
Posted By: CCCC Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/29/16
Alone often is good, 'specially when hunting. Good for the soul.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/29/16
Yeah, the guy with no firestarter is toast. He's supposed to the big survival guy. I guess we'll see if he can make a fire with a bow and spindle. But he's also been pretty lousy at getting food as well.

By the way, for anyone who has missed the first 2 episodes, you can watch them at History.com
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/29/16
The first week, it seemed like they picked more people with better survival skills than last year.
But the second week, one guy did even stay for the first night. He took a look at all the bear [bleep] he was stepping in and said GET ME THE HELL OUT OF HERE!
This season they have some women out there. One appears to be really tough and has some skills to make it. But like some of the others, she has family and young kids at home. That will make for long days and weeks.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/29/16
Originally Posted by Tracks
Good as gone.

I think so too, but he's also got other problems that he's struggling with. No food yet.

I think there will be a couple more before long. Major whining going on, with a few.
Posted By: Tracks Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/30/16
The ocean is the food source and the beach is the hardware store. Anytime spent away from the beach is wasted.
Shelter is priority one
Fire is priority two
Comfort is not essential.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/30/16
Originally Posted by Lonny
What surprises me is the people who claim to be "Survival instructors." Outside of possibly the military, who in the hell makes their living teaching wilderness survival? I live in an area surrounded by millions of acres of wilderness and don't know a single person who makes a living as a wilderness survival instructor. It must be a yuppie urban thing.

Funny...I was thinking the same thing last night Lonny....
Wonder where they find enough students to make a living with a bow-drill....which most of em can't use outside the comfort of their back yards anyway....

I especially liked the guy who found the dead duck saying he didn't want it laying around and attracting predators....which made sense until he added the fact that Cougars were more likely to be attracted to the carcass than a Bear would be....

It's an OK show but I can only get through about half of am episode before the whining gets to me and I change channels....
Posted By: Lonny Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/30/16
Charlie, I also had to laugh at the guys worry that the dead duck would attract cougars...

Hell, even my wife giggled at that and she is a long ways from being any sort of "wilderness survival instructor."

Discovery must purposely pick people who they know will bare their soul in front of the camera and shed a few tears when things get the least bit rough.

I keep waiting for a person to be on the show that can really do something and practically thrive by using their smarts and the gear they are given. The guy last year who built the canoe, tepee, and banjo, was pretty sharp.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/30/16
I had to laugh after listening to that black guy talk before being dropped off and seeing him tap-out in 6 hours... Hell, I could take a nap for 6 hours...

I also find it amazing how some people are so uncomfortable with being alone. Not to mention how some are absolutely terror-stricken at the thought of bears, cougars, and wolves...

We're watching it too.
Funny seeing the African bail after only 6 hours...what a joke.

I think most people would suffer most from the isolation and boredom.

For $500 Grand I'd sure give it a Helluva run... wink
Posted By: Lonny Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/30/16
Sal, I think you are right on with the isolation and boredom thing...

Just look around at our daily lives and how most people are connected, conversing, or watching something all their waking hours. We are surrounded by so sort of stimuli all the time.

Take away other humans, their phone, computer, TV, any reading material and most people are lost with what to do with their own thoughts.
I keep waiting for a person to be on the show that can really do something and practically thrive by using their smarts and the gear they are given. The guy last year who built the canoe, tepee, and banjo, was pretty sharp.

Yep....he was pretty ambitious....I was surprised when he dropped out....

Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by stxhunter

My thoughts exactly Roger. Build a cozy shelter, a fire, and leave me in the woods with the bears and cougars and wolves....and I'd sleep like a baby!

Id have to tap out after a couple weeks of no Egg McMuffins though.... grin

I did get a charge out of the black guy being schitt scared of bears laugh

Same here.....I get along with me better than anyone I know....

And I'd win that thing hands down cause while all the other idiots were dickin' around with fish nets and tarps I'd be building a brewery.... grin
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/30/16
I'm no expert and have never been to Vancouver Island. But no way would I ever take my favorite down sleeping bag to tarp camp in a rain forest. That lady will be one of the next to quit.
Posted By: ingwe Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/30/16
Watched it last night...when the guy found his resident duck dead and decided not to eat it cause it might be infected. I understand that...but then he threw it away....

Apparently he didn't mind wasting 4-5 pounds of bait for critters from crabs to coons. Also apparently he's not hungry yet...

I think the hot schitt loner with the hippie beard that burnt up his firestarter will be next...
Originally Posted by Salmonella

We're watching it too.
Funny seeing the African bail after only 6 hours...what a joke.

I think most people would suffer most from the isolation and boredom.

For $500 Grand I'd sure give it a Helluva run... wink

I don't know how a person could get bored...building a suitable shelter for long term comfort would be high on my priority list and an on-going endeavor. Between that, gathering wood, eats and other stuff, I don't understand how in the world a person could get bored...there'd always something that needed doing.

I agree about the black guy tapping out so quick, but my younger brother probably would have tapped out BEFORE he hit the beach...I've never seen somebody as afraid of bears as him & it's gotten worse since he had the stroke.
The last time I went deer hunting & took him with me, he wouldn't sit on a stand without me within eyesight... crazy
Posted By: tkinak Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/30/16
http://www.history.com/shows/alone

For the folks unfamiliar you can watch the previous episodes here ^.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/30/16
This is a tough list to narrow down to just ten items. That they will provide two tarps and a headlight helps my list a lot. I have changed my list four times...

*We will provide the following items to each participant. These items do not count towards the 10 special items.
1. 2 safety tools (may consist of a canister of wild animal repellant, an air horn and/or 1 flare)
2. 1 rules and regulations guide
3. 1 backpack
4. 1 camera pack
5. Camera equipment
6. 1 emergency flare
7. 1 satellite phone
8. 1 emergency personal flotation device
9. 1 first aid kit (military type – tourniquet, wadding, ace bandage, alcohol, plastic bag, etc)
10. 1 small mirror
11. 1 20×20 canvas tarp
12. 1 10×10 tarp for protecting camera and equipment
13. 1 GPS tracking device
14. 1 head lamp
15. 1 emergency rations pack to include water and food

*Each participant must choose TEN total items from the following list. Selections are final. Once chosen, no items may be swapped out or replaced. These will be each participant’s unique tools used to survive in the wilderness on camera.
Shelter
1. 12×12 ground cloth/tarp (grommets approved)
2. 8 mm climbing rope – 10M
3. 550 parachord – 20m
4. 1 hatchet
5. 1 saw
6. 1 ax
Bedding
1. 1 multi-seasonal sleeping bag that fits within provided backpack
2. 1 bivy bag (Gore-Tex sleeping bag cover)
3. 1 sleeping pad
4. 1 hammock
Cooking
1. 1 large (no more than 2 quart) pot, includes lid
2. 1 steel frying pan
3. 1 flint or ferro rod set
4. 1 enamel bowl for eating
5. 1 spoon
6. 1 canteen or water bottle
7. 1 bear canister
Hygiene
1. 1 bar soap
2. 1 8 oz tube of toothpaste
3. 1 face flannel
4. 1 40 m roll of dental floss
5. 1 small bottle bio shower soap
6. 1 shaving razor (and 1 blade)
7. 1 towel (30” x 60”)
8. 1 comb
Hunting
1. 1 300-yard roll of nylon single filament fishing line and 25 assorted hooks (No lures)
2. 1 primitive bow with 6 Arrows (must be predominately made of wood)
3. 1 small gauge gill net (8 m x 2 m OR 1.5 m deep x 3.6 m long and 2” [50 mm] mesh)
4. 1 slingshot/Catapult
5. 1 net foraging bag
6. 1 3.5 lb roll of trapping wire
Food
1. 5 lbs of beef jerky (protein)
2. 5 lbs of dried pulses/legumes/lentils mix (starch and carbs)
3. 5 lbs of biltong (protein)
4. 5 lbs of hard tack military biscuits (carbs/sugars)
5. 5 lbs of chocolate (Simple/complex sugars)
6. 5 lbs of pemmican (traditional trail food made from fat and proteins)
7. 5 lbs of gorp (raisins, m&m’s and peanuts)
8. 5 lbs of flour (starch/carbs)
9. 2 lbs of rice or sugar and 1 lb of salt
Tools
1. 1 pocket knife
2. 1 hunting knife
3. 1 Leatherman multi-tool
4. 1 sharpening stone
5. 1 roll of duct tape or 1 roll of electrical tape
6. 1 small shovel
7. 1 small sewing kit
8. 1 carabineer
9. 1 LED flashlight
10. 1 pair of ice spikes

The following items are PROHIBITED. This list is not exhaustive. Any item not listed above is also prohibited.
1. Fuel or matches
2. Bug spray/mosquito repellant.
3. Sunscreen/chap stick
4. Sunglasses
5. Beauty products
6. Map (detailed topographical)
7. Compass
8. Unapproved technology (anything with a battery or an engine, eg. cell phones, computers, watches, etc.)
9. Professional snares
10. Firearms of any kind
11. Ammunition
12. Explosives or gunpowder
13. Animal poison
14. Professional fishing rods
15. Fishing lures, flies, bait kits
16. Fishing traps
17. Food or beverage (except the options from the selection list)
18. Decoys
19. Animal calls
20. Tree stands
21. Professional bows or crossbows
22. Scopes of any kind
23. Tents or shelters
24. Stoves, pressure cookers or other cooking appliances
25. Hydration packs
26. Fire pits
27. Electric or propane lanterns
28. Inflatable boats
29. Filtration, purification devices, iodine tablets
30. Coolers or food storage boxes (except optional bear canister)
Posted By: Mathsr Re: ALONE ..who's next - 04/30/16
I hunted bear on Vancouver Island once a long time ago. The bears didn't seem skittish at all and there were plenty of them. I didn't see any deer, squirrels, coons or other small game the whole time I was hunting, but I saw some elk several times. Wonder what kind of rules they have about hunting and moving around looking for some productive areas. One of the options was a bow n arrow and I understand that bear meat is very good.

My guess would be that the guy without the ferro rod set would be the next one to tap out. That place was wet. He is going to have a problem coming up with a couple of dry sticks to rub together and make a fire. Not saying it can't be done, but in losing his fire starter, he gave himself a real disadvantage.

© 24hourcampfire