Home
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Electric shavers - 04/30/16
Nothing to do with politics but what kind do you use? No use in blasting all of them and saying that they are all junk and anybody with any smarts would never use one. I can't use a shaver that has a blade and am in need of a new electric one so what's your favorite?
Posted By: Chris_EOD Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
I use a Wahl beard trimmer with no guard. If I'm not sporting a beard it's stubble length only since my last day in the military.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
Use the wahl hair clippers and do hair and beard at the same time, they both grow at about the same rate and get cut at about the same rate...

Phil
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
I've had a Braun for over 10 years but I can't recommend it. You can't wear the thing out but it takes a lot of work to get a close shave with it.

I read a review of shavers a while ago and they said that those triple head Norelco's are hard to beat.

The testers said that they would use the others then use the triple head Norelco to finish up with.

I've been meaning to get me one of them.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
When travelling and cannot use a safety razor on my face and head I use a Norelco. My son is on sever blood thinners along with his other cancer treatments and cannot use a blade of any kind. We got him a Norelco and it works for him too.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
I have a Norelco that's at least 20 years old. I replaced the batteries 7 or 8 years ago and it's in need of new heads. It's not as good as the newer ones but it works. I don't use it all the time, though, just when I'm on the road or need a quick touchup.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
I have an old Braun that has lasted quite well, but shaving my face is like cutting a wire brush, so, sorry, I need a blade razor.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
If you make it through the next 60 years....ask yourself that question again!!
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
My pop can't use a blade. He uses a norelco also.
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
I've used a Braun in one form or another for over 45 years. Their screen seems to me to be superior without the bite.

However, any screen with slots for long hairs will bite. I just had delivered a couple of Model 60 battery operated Braun travel shavers. Two AA batts will last three weeks, and the shaver continues to give a comfortable shave for about a year.

Norelcos always seemed too big in my hands and you can buy a lot of AA batteries bulk for the $70 difference in price, not to mention the additional cost of screens and blades.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
So far Norelco seems to be the most popular. I used one for about twenty years finally replacing it two years ago with one of their best but the blades are pretty well shot and you have to replace the complete head which is about the same price as a new shaver so I guess it's off to Costco for a new one.

Thanks, ya'll.

Ivan
Posted By: Odessa Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
I have owned a number of Norelco's, all but the first one were Triple Headers. I did buy a Remington once (the Victor Kiam commercial sold me) but I ended up throwing it away and buying another Norelco. The model I have now is a Norelco rechargeable and can be used wet (if you have a need to shave in the shower). I have been pleased with the performance over the decades I've used them.
Posted By: Joseywales Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
I've been through this. I have tough wiskers. I tried wet shaving with the old Gilette flat razors, electrics, etc. Here's where I come out.

If you have time each morning, wet shaving is the cloest and easiest on dry skin.

Electric shavers need speed. Mine is a Panasonic with 13,000 RPM, linear motor. I can't use one with less speed. It just won't eat the wiskers.

The more blades against your skin, the more damage you're doing.

I ended up shaving with my Panasonic daily. And touch up with a Gillette double blade razor.

I don't have to shave every day, so I use the Panasonic as a first pass, then shave with hand razor against the grain. Works great, very close, no dry skin.

Hot water is your enemy! I shave with neutral temp water and when I'm done shaving, I rinse with the coldest I can stand. Then blot dry and finish with a decent after shave. Very happy with the results. I never knew what I was missing until I tried a good aftershave.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I've had a Braun for over 10 years but I can't recommend it. You can't wear the thing out but it takes a lot of work to get a close shave with it........

+1
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
Electric shavers don't shave as close as a blade can. It's not going give you as good a shave as blades so adjust your expectation accordingly. I've had a braun for several years and am pleased with it. My first electric was a norelco. One of the cheap ones and performed to it's price point.
The braun is expensive and performs well. Just not as well as a blade.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
If you make it through the next 60 years....ask yourself that question again!!

I sure hope I don't last THAT long!

Posted By: GratefulShooter Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
Although it may not be the first brand name that comes to mind Panasonic makes some very good electric shavers. I've been using one for more than five years, I replace the foil and blades each year and it continues to provide a very close shave. My old model is probably roughly equivalent to the newer Arc III model. It has a high-speed motor (13000rpm), and the original rechargeable battery still holds a charge for nearly a full week if I take it on the road without the charger. It also works either wet or dry, and probably shaves even closer when used wet, but I rarely ever bother with that as the dry shave is quite close and smooth.
Posted By: Joseywales Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
^^^^^ Ditto. I have 2 Panasonic 13,000 RPM. Got the second one for dirt at a BOSCOV's close out. They are mostly found online for some reason.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
I've used Norelcos since the mid 70s. Corded, cordless rechargeable, 2 head, 3 head, travel size, whatever. They work. They work best if you don't switch back and forth between types of razors, and if you shave pretty much daily. They don't like long hair, several days of beard growth.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
Us Norelco now days, sure do miss the Sunbeam corded ones I used to use.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
I have been running a Braun for the last several years. It was their top of the line about 10 years ago. Battery still lasts over a week on one charge and it is pretty easy on my skin, while giving a decent shave.

The triple rotor Norelco's burn my skin.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
Norelco
New blades yearly
Blow out with canned air weekly
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Electric shavers - 04/30/16
I asked the same question on here a couple of years ago and Braun was the most recommended. I bought a Series 5 and have been very pleased with it so far.
Posted By: charleeontop Re: Electric shavers - 05/01/16
????
How is it that the rechargeable batteries in the Braun I have had for 10 yrs still holds a charge for 2 weeks.
The battery in my phone lasts less and less as the year goes and has to be replaced at least yearly??
© 24hourcampfire