Home
Interesting blog piece, about the push by the Mizzou faculty to change the climate of race relations there.
Same school where that whack job lady professor who called for 'some muscle over here' worked.
The inference is that if the nutters on the Mizzou faculty keep stirring up chit, the GOP controlled legislator might defund some of the trouble makers.
Other side of this is the push by liberals at Missouri, to brand and label every white person as being racist. Ludicrous, but that's what is happening all across academia.
link to story HERE

look at the video of faculty members telling white folks what's wrong with them.
The results of these actions are showing up at MU with enrollment. Fall of 2015 was off target for freshmen enrollment by a few thousand. Hitting them in the bank account will turn things around as quickly as anything else could.
If they continue down this road , here's what happens:

- Applications and enrollment decline

- To combat that, Mizzou lowers acedemic standards

- In order to combat their image as a "racist" school, they use this application and enrollment shortfall as an opportunity to recruit more "minority" students

_ "Non - Minority" applicants see this, and apply elsewhere. They go to U. of Arkansas, Iowa or OU, or Nebraska if they want the Big School experience.

- Enrollment collapses to 1/2 of what is is now, there will be widespread faculty layoffs, and everybody will sit around and wonder "what happened??"
The [state]college 'experience' is dieing a slow death
They are biting the hand that feeds them. Never a good idea. Somebody has to pay for it. The people that HAVE been paying for it are saying "I don't wanna".
I think they already had a 25% drop in new admissions to the freshman class this year.
Originally Posted by hatari

- In order to combat their image as a "racist" school, they use this application and enrollment shortfall as an opportunity to recruit more "minority" students

They aren't seen as a racist school here in MO, they are seen as Liberal wacko's. Nobody is sending their kids to be indoctrinated by lib wacko's where there are plenty of other choices in state.

There has been a lot of talk about it in this state. Everything from people refusing to go the sporting events to people not considering letting their kids attend school there. MU administration is learning, or they will be learning shortly what pile they've stepped in.

I'm not sure what will happen at other universities in more liberal states, but Missourians don't like what they have seen coming out of MU.
Why they were ever allowed into the SEC, I'll never know.
Bulldoze it and plant cotton where it used to be. Cotton grows good in Missouri.
Offer a PHD in Cotton technology. You want an education? There it is.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I think they already had a 25% drop in new admissions to the freshman class this year.

You are correct. In fact, they have "shuttered" 2 dorms due to the drop. No way in hell would I send a child there. Rock Chalk.
Thank God my girls went to University of Nebraska. Mizzou can go under as far as I am concerned. We have had some good football games though.
Agreed.
Wife and I both got degrees from MU and we were both very surprised to see the racist label applied so broadly there last year.
We both recalled a mixed bag of races, ethnicity,and nationalities...and folks got along very well.

I guess we are what some like characterizing as being "blind to our own racism" folks....which I totally resent and deny.

Disagreeing with Obama's policies does not mean we are racist!

'nough said.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Bulldoze it and plant cotton where it used to be. Cotton grows good in Missouri.
Cotton in most of Missouri is a relatively recent development. In the slave days, it was only grown in large quantities in the bootheel. Up around Columbia and along the big river it was known as "Little Dixie" due to the number of slaves, but agriculture resembled the rest of the border states more than the deep south where cotton was king. Corn, wheat and hemp were the cash crops in most of Missouri. Cotton was planted in fair quantities in the 1990's but isn't worth as much as other crops. Some planted it for the government subsidies. Kansas was the same way.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Interesting blog piece, about the push by the Mizzou faculty to change the climate of race relations there.
Same school where that whack job lady professor who called for 'some muscle over here' worked.
The inference is that if the nutters on the Mizzou faculty keep stirring up chit, the GOP controlled legislator might defund some of the trouble makers.
Other side of this is the push by liberals at Missouri, to brand and label every white person as being racist. Ludicrous, but that's what is happening all across academia.
link to story HERE

look at the video of faculty members telling white folks what's wrong with them.
Almost all state-run colleges are full of liberal professors and administrators. Oklahoma is not far behind Mizzou in this.
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Originally Posted by Calhoun

You are corect. In fact, they have "shuttered" 2 dorms due to the drop. No way in hell would I send a child there. Rock Chalk.
My daughter is a Gifted, straight A student and talented athlete. The Jayhawkers will never see a dime of our money.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Cotton in most of Missouri is a relatively recent development. In the slave days, it was only grown in large quantities in the bootheel. Up around Columbia and along the big river it was known as "Little Dixie" due to the number of slaves, but agriculture resembled the rest of the border states more than the deep south where cotton was king. Corn, wheat and hemp were the cash crops in most of Missouri. Cotton was planted in fair quantities in the 1990's but isn't worth as much as other crops. Some planted it for the government subsidies. Kansas was the same way.

It's not all *that* recent. My father's family grew up in the bootheel and the whole bunch of them survived the depression by pickin' cotton.

When I was a kid they still had vast fields of cotton growing in the delta land along the Mississippi River.

We'd occasionally drive over there on Sunday afternoons in the summer and as soon as you crossed the river it was cotton fields as far as the eye could see.

The last time I was over there those same fields were planted in soybeans.

I have never seen a Missouri cotton field outside of the Boot Heel.
If a lib, feel good university administration allows this kinda stuff to flourish, things will get out of hand. I hate to see any school go down the tube, but maybe the Mizzou experience will become a model in how not to run a large school.

You can never satisfy these leftists. Give them an inch, they'll want a mile.

Not unlike militant Islamists. They never have enough 'till they have it all.

People vote with their feet and their dollars. The political revolution now underway is a push back to Obummer and his leftist stuff, P.C. gone amuck, used by the left as a tool to intimidate the majority into submission to the minority.

Dumb and dumber... crazy

Elections have consequences.

DF
In the old days there was plenty of cotton up there. It was the cash crop. You'd grow cotton and corn on your small farm.

But that is neither here or there. Mizzou has always had pretensions of being better than they are as a university. Their journalism school is quite good, one of the best. What kind of people are drawn to that nowadays? That should tell you something.
My boss is a diehard Missouri fan, with an engineering degree from there. Travels there from several states away to go to games each year. He is disgusted and said no more money going there in the way of ticket purchases or alumni donations for him.
The libs in charge at Mizzou have clearly drunk the kool-aid, big time.

They will fail to see the cause-effect relationship between their batschit-crazy actions and the decline in enrollment, alumni contributions, etc., and will blame the school's financial crisis on "racist white folks". There is no reasoning with these communist idiots.
This:

Glenn Reynolds, the Instapundit, hits the nail on the head:

So they really haven’t learned their lesson yet.

There is only one way they will ever learn. Mizzou depends on the GOP-dominated state legislature for its funding. The legislature has the power to defund entire departments, and tenure does not protect professors whose departments are closed. Academia has been out of control for generations now, alienated from the society that sustains it, insisting on its privileges and entitlements. Nothing would do more to “encourage the others” (in Napoleon’s famous words) than defunding entire departments.

I'd be really pi$$3d that a school like that got one cent of my tax dollars. Everyone in Missouri should call their reps, repeatedly.
"Does the University of Missouri have a death wish?"

I hope so. If we stop co-signing student loans we can sit back and watch a bunch of them die. The good ones will live.
Liberalism always self destructs if given enough rein. Sometimes I wonder why we don't let them get what they want more often.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Why they were ever allowed into the SEC, I'll never know.

For basketball to give Kentucky someone to deal with. Problem is Mizzou has stunk at basketball for more than 5 years.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
My boss is a diehard Missouri fan, with an engineering degree from there. Travels there from several states away to go to games each year. He is disgusted and said no more money going there in the way of ticket purchases or alumni donations for him.

I hope the KSU wildcats are not headed down this path.
All of academia needs to be 'purged'!!
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
All of academia needs to be 'purged'!!

This!
Grand daughter who came from a Republican family attended and received her teaching certificate from MU. Went in as a strong conservative and came out a very weak one. Picked up a Liberal boyfriend in the deal.

I told her prior to entry in MU that her leanings would take a left turn due to the Liberal contaminated teacher factor. St Louis, Kansas City & Columbia (MU)largest Liberal strongholds in the state.

Degree from their hasn't been viewed very highly for several years. GW
...Almost all state-run colleges are full of liberal professors and administrators. Oklahoma is not far behind Mizzou in this.

Oklahoma State is an exception to this trend.
Mizzou has a tremendous problem with perception. Because the liberal mainstream media love anything to do with an allegation of racism, they blow things far out of proportion. The fact is that a SMALL contingent of very vocal liberal faculty and students make a disproportionate amount of noise, and the press is all over it. In actuality, the student body at Mizzou is far more conservative than at most schools, certainly more than any of the Big Ten schools, including the one I attended..

My daughter will receive her Masters from Mizzou in a few weeks, and I've spent a great deal of the at that University over the last five years. The vast majority of the student body is as disgusted as the rest of us at the antics of a few liberal blowhards. Surprisingly, many (obviously, not all) of the faculty are similarly disgusted by what is going on.

Mizzou's freshman enrollment is down by 6% for next year, not 25%, and part of the reason the two dorms closed is because a new one opened.

Rather than excoriating an outstanding school and most of those who attend there, look at what is really going on, and support the overwhelming number of normal folks who are there against the small minority of vocal whiners.

By the way, my daughter, who went in as a moderate conservative, is coming out as a strong conservative. Her boyfriend, who is from Chicago, also leans conservative. There is hope!
The seeds of this "perfect storm" of a train wreck weren't planted yesterday...

Strong leadership must be lacking at Mizzou.

Just looking at it from the outside...

DF
© 24hourcampfire