Home
Got any favorite dinner recipes for camping you'd care to share?

Thanks!
Tacos in a bag is fun.

individual bags of doritos, fritos etc.
taco meat
tomatoes
sour cream
lettuce
cheese
hot sauce

fill up the bag with whatever you want and dish it out with a spork

Dutch oven Chicken Salsa tacos

couple chicken breasts - frozen is fine
salsa
tortillas
taco fixings

cook the chicken in the salsa and shred
make tacos
taters, carrots, onions sliced to the same size, add salt and pepper, wrap in foil.....throw it in the fire...

eat when you think its done.... smile

I usually add a steak cooked on a grill of some sort....but that is optional
thick hamburger pattie,...cut up a tater,..some onion,,..wrap it in aluminum foil and lay it on the edge of the fire. Flip it every now and then.

I realize that it's not very creative, but it's about the best hamburger you'll ever eat and the taters come out very good too.

It's really a fine meal.
Posted By: EdM Re: Dinner recipes for camping? - 05/17/16
Not sure if it is a favorite (darn close) but the first meal of about every trip will be grilled Costco 1/4+ pound hot dogs in their fatazz buns with mustard, onions and tomatoes.
I like stuff that you can cook in one pan...easy to make...and keeps well...
Some good German Sausage sauteed with zucchini, peppers and onion is one of my favorites....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some good ranch beans and Chorizo is good too...I make my own beans but canned will do...
Fry the Chorizo and then add the beans...continue cooking until the beans are hot...sorry no pix...
Upper choice angus top sirloin, cut into 2 ince cubes, tossed in olive oil and a course monteral seasoning.
Cooked over open fire to med rare.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ribka Re: Dinner recipes for camping? - 05/17/16
a good deer or elk chili and bannock bread

I usually pre cook and freeze chili but easy to make on camp stove

The meat veggies taters in foil is always good too

But love the bannock bread

http://50campfires.com/bannock-the-original-camping-bread-unusual-but-delicious-camping-foods/
A good bun, cook large elk hamburger medium rare topped with bacon, blue cheese and a egg cooked over easy.

When served you stick a tooth pick in the egg so the yoke runs thru the burger.

Boiling water and a Mountain House entree.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
thick hamburger pattie,...cut up a tater,..some onion,,..wrap it in aluminum foil and lay it on the edge of the fire. Flip it every now and then.

I realize that it's not very creative, but it's about the best hamburger you'll ever eat and the taters come out very good too.

It's really a fine meal.
We do this every year on our family vacation. Easy to do, and tastes great.
We like to cook veggies on the grill. We've got one of those wire baskets for the grill. Cut up some peppers, onions, 'shrooms, zuchini, etc,. Throw 'em in the basket with some chicken chunks or steak junks marinated in Italian dressin, put on the fire and enjoy!
Posted By: shaman Re: Dinner recipes for camping? - 05/18/16
Funny y'all should ask. I gave myself the challenge the other day of making something out of a can of Kroger canned Corned Beef. It's kind of the beef version of Spam.

It finally dawned on me that it would probably respond well to a Zip Sauce. Zip sauce is wonderful stuff. It comes from Detroit. I discovered it 10 years ago.

Kim's Zippy Sauce

That's my review from 2006. Over the past 10 years, I've expanded my uses of Zip Sauce. It works great with venison steaks, and one of the family favorites is a beef round bottom roast slow baked and served in Zip Sauce.

So what I did in this case was heat a skillet and throw the whole can in along with the ingredients from the zip sauce recipe. It's all pre-cooked, so it is just a matter of heating it up enough for all the flavors to mix. I served it as a crumble, so it would get done quickly.

Slam, Bang, Done. Zip Hash.

Angus is getting together a post-graditation camp-out early next month. This will be one of the things he serves.

Shrimp Ka Bobs - Cut up some "stop light peppers" and onions in large chunks. Marinate shrimp, peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes in Italian dressing and creole seasoning. Skewer so the shrimp is sandwiched between chunks of veggies to keep shrimp moist. Cook on grate over open fire. Don't overcook!

I'm really just tagging a good thread. We are planning a camping trip in a couple of weeks. smile
This:

http://starkist.com/products/tuna-creations%C2%AE-hickory-smoked

And this:

http://www.knorr.com/product/detail/246101/cheddar-broccoli

Makes the best fugkin' tuna casserole you'll ever have.

Dave
To the OP, what kind of "camping"?

This:
[Linked Image]

Or this:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: powdr Re: Dinner recipes for camping? - 05/18/16
Chili Beans:

Take a large pan or dutch oven.
5 ingredients
1lb hamburger
1 large can tomatoes whole or use the diced tomatoes
1 large can(the giant size)ranch style beans
1 large onion diced
4oz chili powder
You can easily put all of these ingredients in a left over shopping bag and tie the top in a knot till your ready.
Cook the meat ground up style w/onion, drain meat and add tomatoes mashed between your fingers, add chili powder and cook till it simmers for twenty minutes. Don't over cook. This really is a good and easy meal. Prep time 10minutes. Serve w/buttered crackers, bread, or cornbread. Serves 4 hungry people. powdr
Posted By: okie Re: Dinner recipes for camping? - 05/18/16
Originally Posted by bubbajay
taters, carrots, onions sliced to the same size, add salt and pepper, wrap in foil.....throw it in the fire...

eat when you think its done.... smile

I usually add a steak cooked on a grill of some sort....but that is optional

We call that a "Hobo" dinner. Add whatever meat you like or happen to have and it's on! If cooked in a pot it is "Whatchagot" stew...
Posted By: bobmn Re: Dinner recipes for camping? - 05/18/16
Get a copy of "The One-Burner Cookbook" by Harriett Barker
beef tips ,carrots taters and anything else you like in a dutch oven.dig a hole line with hot coals grease the lid and cover it up til evening.kids will love doing this.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Dinner recipes for camping? - 05/18/16
Call Pizza Hut for delivery. grin
our grandkids just love those "hobo dinners" described above done on a grate over the fire....

Originally Posted by northern_dave
To the OP, what kind of "camping"?

This:
[Linked Image]

Or this:
[Linked Image]

Tent (canvas, wall style) camping in a state park, we cook over a campfire, in a Dutch oven and/or over a propane Coleman stove.
Yep hobo packets are my fave but we put the meat in the foil along with spuds,carrots & onions

Have done it with bison, sheep medallions & moose meat

Tks my fave

If I'm grilling meat I like to wrap sweet onions in foil toss in coals and cook until the outer layer of onion is black

Slice that baby open add some butter if you like & mmmmm perfect compliment to a steak
Originally Posted by 270winchester

Tent (canvas, wall style) camping in a state park, we cook over a campfire, in a Dutch oven and/or over a propane Coleman stove.

I usually prepare to cook whatever we can catch or kill in the area. This puts pressure on the campers to get out there and do something if they want to eat, and usually results in a more satisfying trip. Just make sure there are enough staples to get them through a couple of meals with the main ingredients. (Bacon, potatoes, cheese, onions etc.) Don't forget something green if you're going for more than a day or two.
Posted By: Wyogal Re: Dinner recipes for camping? - 05/18/16
Originally Posted by ribka
a good deer or elk chili and bannock bread

I usually pre cook and freeze chili but easy to make on camp stove

The meat veggies taters in foil is always good too

But love the bannock bread

http://50campfires.com/bannock-the-original-camping-bread-unusual-but-delicious-camping-foods/

Yeah, I like to precook a couple meals and freeze for the first day. Usually setting up camp takes a little time, and its nice to have something ready to warm up.

Chili is a good one too. Yoopper pasties is a favorite.

We call it slum gully; fried ground beef or venison, with fried taters or hash browns, onions garlic, peas and carrots, maybe some fried bits of bacon. Pour some cream of mushroom soup over it when its warm and mix it up. some rolls or bread.
Posted By: Owl Re: Dinner recipes for camping? - 05/18/16
Depends on how much clean up you want to do.

If it's just me, a can of Dinty Moore beef stew works.

If it's the whole fam damnly, that's another story.

They live a HUGE dutch oven full of green chili, or a big ol' pot of beans.

Once I had to take a bunch of boy scouts out. They asked what to prepare for dinner. I told them to bring a foil dinner. And they did.

I wrapped pizza up in foil and brought it.

Taught them a whole new meaning to foil dinners. Boy, were they jealous :-)
Posted By: EdM Re: Dinner recipes for camping? - 05/18/16
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Some good German Sausage sauteed with zucchini, peppers and onion is one of my favorites....

I do the same but with Italian sausage and some diced tomatoes added.
Posted By: EdM Re: Dinner recipes for camping? - 05/18/16
Originally Posted by deflave
This:

And this:

Dave

I can't stand the smell of a tuna casserole let alone the taste. crazy
This:

And this:

Dave

People actually EAT tuna casserole!????

No, really?
foil packs are the ticket. burger,onion & taters, kolbassi & taters, ham & taters. you get the point. anything & taters wrapped tight in aluminum foil and sat on the coals is perfect. you can make them all before you leave and pack them in the cooler like that and the best part is theres no dishes.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I do the same but with Italian sausage and some diced tomatoes added.

That'd work too although I try to avoid tomato's in my cast iron...
Originally Posted by snubbie
This:

And this:

Dave

People actually EAT tuna casserole!????

No, really?

It's not really a casserole....more like some boiled water with a couple of packages of processed crap dumped in.....
I have no shame though...I'd eat it and go back for seconds.... grin
I avoid tuna in the summer in brown bear country.
make cowboy sumbitch.....

Fry kielbasa sausage, taters, nunions, in a CI pan. When done toss in the scrambled eggs, top with cheddar*.

*Yanno, cheese, not stripper tips. (hint)
Fresh trout wrapped in foil with a few pats of butter and some pepper. Foil wrapped potatoes and onion with salt & pepper. Throw in some pepper flakes for spice.

From quail camp -

Cut meat off quail breasts
Bread and fry
Put in tortilla with cabbage, onions, cilantro and white sauce (like from fish tacos).
Cheep box of Spanish rice.
Cheep beer of your choice.

Get up next day shoot another limit-

Put green Chile between pieces
Wrap in bacon, brush on a 1/2 bbq sauce 1/2 beer sauce.
Grill over mesquite coals
Fry 1lb bacon remove bacon, use grease to fry taters and onions in dutch oven. Crumble bacon over fried taters and top with cheese. Cover dutch oven long enough to melt cheese.

Posted By: RNF Re: Dinner recipes for camping? - 05/18/16
A easy to make soup.

2 lb hamburger browned with 1 medium size chopped onion then mix with
2 cans rotel tomatoes
2 cans ranch style beans
3 cans minestrone soup.

Takes about 30 minutes to make.
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1
From quail camp -

Bread and fry
Put in tortilla with cabbage, onions, cilantro and white sauce (like from fish tacos).
Cheep box of Spanish rice.

Get up next day shoot another limit-

Put green Chile between pieces
Wrap in bacon, brush on a 1/2 bbq sauce 1/2 beer sauce.
Grill over mesquite coals
Fry 1lb bacon remove bacon, use grease to fry taters and onions in dutch oven. Crumble bacon over fried taters and top with cheese. Cover dutch oven long enough to melt cheese.

Dang that sounds good. Love quail anyway
I do a lot of camping, and a lot of camp cooking. Most of it involves fire and cast iron. smile
Chili is always popular.
[Linked Image]
Chili. No beans, no tomatoes

Two pounds NY Strip Steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, lightly salted
Two tablespoons lard
2 cups beef broth
Two fresh Poblano peppers
8 fresh red chili peppers
4 dried Chili Mulato peppers
4 dried Guajillo peppers
10 dried Chile Arbol
4 dried California peppers (Anaheim)
1 medium white onion, fine diced
4 cloves garlic, fine diced
1 teaspoon Penzy's ground Cumin
2 teaspoon Penzy's medium chili powder
2 teaspoon Penzy's Mexican Oregano
1/4 cup masa harina corn flour

Using a cast iron pot, melt the lard over medium high heat. Add in the cubed beef, and sear on one side only. Remove from the heat, add in the diced garlic and onion, and the beef broth.
Place in a 225F oven for two hours, stirring once or twice.
Remove from the oven, and place the pot on a low heat burner. Add in the rest of the ingredients, stir well, and simmer for another hour.

The dried peppers should be seeded, and cut into large pieces. Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle, and place the peppers on it. Heat on high for a minute or two per side, but do NOT BURN the peppers. Use no oil.
Place the peppers in a bowl, and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 20 or so minutes. Place the peppers and the water into a blender. Pulse several times. Do not reduce to a puree. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pepper pieces from the liquid, and add to the chili. Add the liquid as needed to the chili, to make sure the chili does not dry out when cooking.

Mix some of the liquid from the chili into the masa harina. Add this back to the chili until you get the consistency you want.

© 24hourcampfire