Home
We were thinking about going back to Yellowstone again this year but decided to go someplace new: Glacier National Park.

We found a couple of nice places to stay on the West side and want your opinion on them. Nyack (Hwy 2) or Bigfork.

Watcha think?
Nyack has a train tracks going right through the middle of it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4394087,-113.8100452,504m/data=!3m1!1e3

Bigfork

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bigfork-Montana.html
Bigfork is on Flathead lake, ~45 minutes to the West Glacier entrance with lots of food choices and yuppies. Kalispell is closer, but a bigger town. Nyack is closer to the park but won't have may options for food or services like gas, and you may enjoy oil trains 24/7. There just is not a whole lot between West Glacier east to Browning (on the Rez)

Don't forget a trip up the Northfork to Polbridge and Boweman lake. You will probably see more Grizzly on the eastside around iceberge lake and St Mary, but it can be a windy bugger on that side of Rockies to camp.

I'd stay in Columbia Falls. Actually, I am staying south of there right now in a campground. The drive from Bigfork to the park seems to take forever, from Columbia Falls you can be there in a few minutes, and there are a couple of decent places to eat in CF.
We stayed in a VRBO house west of Whitefish last year. Doing it again, we would stay closer to the park. Columbia Falls wouldn't be a bad idea.

We enjoyed the red jammer bus tour. Saw moose, deer,elk, bear, mountain goats from the bus.
Columbia Falls, or maybe North Forty, or just any old motel in C Falls. Kalispell is fine, too, it's only 12 minutes further.

The trick is to get your can out of bed in the morning and race everyone to Logan Pass or whatever your jump-off point is going to be for whatever hike you're planning. You can come back to town early and get caught up on sleep in front.

I would say Nyack or the Izaak Walton at Essex might be an option if it's your intent to visit the park less traveled. But since it is your first trip, you're best off doing Columbia Falls (civilization at a reasonable price) and some light park-and-walk day hikes. Get up early, drive smart (not fast, too many park cops), park well. One of the best local perverted pleasures is to get done hiking and make a big show out of getting in the car, it's like watching sharks circle chum as the desperate seek your spot. Then, when you all get inside and belt up, HAVE A SNACK, then leave.

Furthermore, the trains at Nyack are cool. Kind of a neat counterpoint, but I'm biased as trains paid my way through school. And the railroads of course p1mped for the creation of the park in the first place.

Finally, don't spend a dime in Whitefish except maybe at Army Navy or the auto parts stores. They have a resort tax, the downtown merchants are greedy slime, and the city council is flat-out Communist.
I kinda liked this place:

[Linked Image]

But it's on the East side.

All good information. Please keep it coming....
Up
Sako, I would try and stay on the east side. Perhaps a motel in St. Mary. Start making your calls now. Shooting for the very ass end of June can be a perfect time. The Going to the Sun Road should be open (hopefully) 100% and the crowds are smaller.

We like to park at the Many Glacier campground area and do our day hikes from there.

Not sure how many days you plan on staying.

Ptarmigan Falls. Ptarmigan Tunnel. And Iceberg Lake are our favorite day hikes from that area.

Dave
In my one trip there, we rented a tiny cabin at the KOA. It was priced right, clean enough, and very close to the park.
Red Eagle motel in Browning.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Red Eagle motel in Browning.

Seeing that no one responded to my post, I am following up to make certain the OP understands this suggestion was purely tongue-in-cheek.
I didn't respond because I was hoping he'd do a post-trip write up.

Thanks for ruining my fun.

Dave
Ha! Geesh, I am glad my wife found a VRBO cabin. OK, whats with the "Red Eagle" accommodation? Five star?
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Ha! Geesh, I am glad my wife found a VRBO cabin. OK, whats with the "Red Eagle" accommodation? Five star?

Only because there isn't a six-star rating.

Tons of loving dogs with no owners. Really nice people with gold painted goatees. Nobody breathes with their mouth closed. It's awesome.

Dave
Sako,

Where is your cabin at?

Dave
Originally Posted by deflave

Tons of loving dogs with no owners. Really nice people with gold painted goatees. Nobody breathes with their mouth closed. It's awesome.

Dave

Sounds grand.

The wife found a place on Hwy 2 near Nyack. May have to cancel now that I found out about Red Eagle.
Red Eagle is uber!

Dave

Sounds grand.

The wife found a place on Hwy 2 near Nyack. May have to cancel now that I found out about Red Eagle.

Nothing like a summer vacation in Browning, friendly postcard little town at the base of the rockies. Best food and hotels in Montana laugh . I guarantee your wife will never forget the experience.

If your staying in Nyack, bring a cooler with food. Not a lot options for dining. It will probably be cool in the evenings, so bring jackets.

Dave

My conscience just couldn't allow it.

Now if it were piddler on the roof from UT or some of our other fine upstanding pricks, I would've let the advice stand.
Note to self, Tarkio has a conscience. Dave, not so much.
Dave thinks he's funny.

But he's really just an ass hole.

Clark
Clark or Dave, any 5 star gun shops within 50 miles?
I know there are some good ones in Kalispell but can't recall the names.

Not really my AOR.

Clark
I know there are some good ones in Kalispell but can't recall the names.

Not really my AOR.

Clark

Frontier , black rifle stuff
Snappy's
Sportsman Ski Haus
Murdoch's Ranch supply

I have found some screaming deals in that Ski Haus.

Dave
Murdochs in Kalispell has a really really damn excellent selection of S&Ws.
Checked out the web pages and it looks like I can do a little gun browsing. Thanks. Seems like the whole family will enjoy Murdochs.
tag
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I kinda liked this place:

[Linked Image]

But it's on the East side.

I was on the Many Glacier Trail Crew in 1960 and often wandered into the Many Glacier Lodge on weekends. Beautiful old lodge! I spent one night there in 2004 following a reunion in Missoula and loved it all over again. Any of the Glacier Park lodges are great places to stay.

Just keep in mind that if hiking on the trails, Glacier is prime Grizzly Bear country.
You also might consider the Isaac Walton Inn in Essex (MT) on the Southern end (West side) of the Park. It's a nice place (but it does sit alongside the RR tracks.

see: http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/

© 24hourcampfire