Home
Weed n feed seems to be a cruel joke, what is the secret to getting rid of the yellow lawn weeds?
Someone's gonna say napalm... I just don't know who yet....
Napalm. As is Campfire custom, I've not read any of the replies so sorry if it's already been mentioned.
The only luck I have had... is to mow them short a few times. Then they die out.....
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Napalm. As is Campfire custom, I've not read any of the replies so sorry if it's already been mentioned.

First reply... does that mean I've been here too long? lmao.
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
The only luck I have had... is to mow them short a few times. Then they die out.....

10-4, I guess we'll try that.

That would be ET! smile
2,4-D, be careful of wind drift.
Pick the greens, fry them in ba con grease, add some vinegar and eat them
2-4 D

dandilions are broadleaf weeds.
weed-b-gon seems to work well on large areas.
Yesterday it was so windy, I tried pouring a 5 gallon pail of water onto the ground and it wouldn't go. I tried it 7 times, not a drop went on the ground. Canada got 35 gallons of precip yesterday. (south wind)

You're welcome Canada!
Ortho Weed-B-Gone. I've got a couple of acres so I bought this little handy dandy sprayer that I drag behind my tractor. It hooks up to the battery and has an electric pump. You've got to get'em early in the season when they're cranking and before the bastrds start spreading their demon seeds.

Weed and feed sucks. You have to put it down when the grass is wet so the granules will stick to the leaves of the broad leaf weeds. Plus, you ought to feed in the fall.
Ortho weed b-gon can be purchased at Walmart and other retailers. Works for me. Can also be bought in concentrate by the gallon if you have a large job. Small area like lawn use a hose end sprayer.

If this fails invite a passel of vegetarians over for dandelion salad. GW
Was trying while you were posting StoneCutter. Least Dave got the same answer from two people on here. Pretty hard to do in the political season. GW
Dave if you are doing the yard just get some weed be gone.
it comes in a bottle that has a hose attachment on it.

Just screw on the garden hose and turn it on,water the yard and it will get them.
Works for diacondria(just think i sent spell check into spasms).
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
2,4-D, be careful of wind drift.

BINGO..........
24-d amine formulation Not esterr.
Weed be gone for plants already maturing. When I plan ahead, winterizer fertilizer with a preventative in it does a pretty good job.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Just screw on the garden hose and turn it on,water the yard and it will get them.

This is easiest. Ortho weed b gone is 2, 4-D by the way. Best to catch the weeds when they're young and growing.

I was getting out the hose this weekend to spray the lawn and the wife asked "what are you doing?"

So I replied "getting ready to spray for weeds," to which she replied " but we don't have any weeds," to which I replied "that's right."
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
[Linked Image]

Yep, look at the ground, it works.
Borrow my nephew and tell him not to touch them. crazy
it looks like weed b gone has pulled way ahead of napalm.
I would start to like them,and try to grown them bigger better and more of them!....when ever I try that approach with stuff in the garden ....stuff dies,its got to work that way for d-lions to .
Thanks for the water, Dave. We needed it here. Could you send some to southern Manitoba now? They need it too.
If you have a Tractor Supply, they have a product especially for broad leaf weeds. It will not kill your grass. I have used it around our pond and barn as well as our four acre backyard. No grass was killed. But it will kill anything else it touches including small trees. It is sold in a concentrate for around $75. You will also need to keep small animals off the yard for several hours. Strong stuff but really works.
Originally Posted by Redneck
24-d amine formulation Not esterr.

That kills it like a mofo, but I need to get a tow behind sprayer.
Why mess with them ?
I like to see then in bloom. After they go to seed, not so much.
Brightens up the yard, and you can mow just before they hit the seed stage.

Myron
lots of nitrogen and patience
Originally Posted by highwayman
Thanks for the water, Dave. We needed it here. Could you send some to southern Manitoba now? They need it too.

You're welcome.

I'll watch the wind for Manitoba water delivery.

Just a warning, I've been eating a lot of asparagus and I do pee outside. So, sorry in advance for that.

grin
Originally Posted by speedsixman
Why mess with them ?

Myron

Seriously? You OBVIOUSLY don't have the Carolina broadleaf variety. They will literally spread to over 1 foot in diameter, before long there is ZERO grass and nothing but the boardleaf's.

Yankees
This chit is taking over, we'll be getting after it with the weed b gone.
Weed be Gone, which I believe is 2-4-D works well for me. If your neighbors don't control them its an on going battle.
I got a little lax last year and I'm paying for it this year. Darn things are seriously trying to take over. Weed b gone works well like the others have said, but the county weed and pest dept sells 2,4 D concentrate cheaper than Wal-Mart.
Trust me Dave, go 2,4-D. I've had to hit them twice with the 'Weed b Gone'

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-amine-400-2-4-d-weed-killer-1-gal?cm_vc=-10005
Weed n feed seems to be a cruel joke, what is the secret to getting rid of the yellow lawn weeds?

Weed N Feed is a total joke - just a way to separate money from homeowners..

I have to assume you have a Fleet Farm store up there somewhere.. Go to the "farm" section and look for the herbicide section.. The product is "Gordons" , yellow and red label, the the name is "Amine-400"

It's 46.47% active ingredient 2-4-D, and the proper mix is about one quart/acre using a minimum 10 gallons water mix/acre..

I just sprayed my lawn twice inside 2 weeks; the dandelions were easy, but the Mouse-Eared Chickweed is a tough sob to eradicate..

The second spraying I upped the concentration a bit to 1.25 qts/acre.. The little bastids are finally turning brown, but I bought another 2.5 gallons of concentrate so I can hit 'em again in mid-fall..

I hate freakin' weeds in a lawn...
You can be the next Spano..

2,4-D is the Schnizzle.! Just don't get it within half a mile of tomato plants. One whiff and they're dead as Dillinger...

There is a product called "Speed Zone" that is supposed to go on at 1 oz. to a gallon. It burns the tschidt out of broadleaves; even kills ground ivy.
And you need to reseed over the dirt patches later on, dandelions love dirt spots in the yard.
Steelhead

"Seriously? You OBVIOUSLY don't have the Carolina broadleaf variety. They will literally spread to over 1 foot in diameter, before long there is ZERO grass and nothing but the boardleaf's."

I guess not. Ours don't get that large or invasive. Just scattered plants.
Just regular mowing keeps them pretty much in check.

If I had yours, I might be putting on some 2,4D.

Myron
2-4-D, the 48% from your local C0-Op 0r farm store, not Home Dept. or the like.
Just keep it away from the flowers, wives don't seem to like that.
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Pick the greens, fry them in ba con grease, add some vinegar and eat them

Cicoria.

But skip the bacon grease. smile
Right on.

So, "mouse eared.." Something or another? We're getting over run by a small clover like weed as well. It's not as bothersome as the dandelions but it still don't belong.
I never worried about dandelions other than to make some wine out of.

But I do want to know more about the car in your avatar. Am I right in thinking it's a '64 Galaxy XL? My cousins got one with a 390 and a 4 speed. It's a screamer.
7mm

This is a DOW Chemical product, see your local farm supply store. Works great on the dandelions and even thistle in my lawn.

Curtail® M Herbicide

Curtail® M herbicide translocates to the roots of stubborn perennial weeds, providing outstanding control of Canada thistle. In addition, Curtail M also controls many annual broadleaf species, such as wild mustard, wild buckwheat, pigweed, lambsquarters, volunteer sunflower and more. Curtail M contains clopyralid and MCPA, and it is helpful for small grains growers who want the superior crop tolerance offered by MCPA in their weed control programs, but still require powerful broadleaf weed control.

Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I never worried about dandelions other than to make some wine out of.

But I do want to know more about the car in your avatar. Am I right in thinking it's a '64 Galaxy XL? My cousins got one with a 390 and a 4 speed. It's a screamer.
7mm

Here ya go.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...935/64_Ford_Galaxie_project.#Post9294935
Thanks everybody, armed with this new knowledge we will no longer head into a gunfight armed with a knife.

"weed n feed" Shmfffffffffffff

ffffff

fff
Pick the flowers and make dandelion wine out of 'em
Years ago I had about 3/4 acre of lawn that was full of dandelions. Local place sold me some concentrate (don't remember what) but also sold me some blue dye to put in with it once I'd mixed up a batch. Using a hand sprayer, I hit each dandelion. The blue dye was a real help in being able to tell which plants had been treated from those I had missed.

Didn't read any posts other than what the OP asked. The answer is Trimec Classic. with about 26% 2,4-D. Buy a gallon jug for about $55 and get a good hand sprayer or if you have a large yard, a 10-25 gallon pull behind sprayer.
3 oz per gallon of water.
I have over an acre and hand spray every day in the early growing season. Right now I have very few growing and I'm surrounded by fields and pastures of yellow flowers.
Persistence is the key. Oh and it won't kill the grass.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by plainsman456

This is easiest. Ortho weed b gone is 2, 4-D by the way. Best to catch the weeds when they're young and growing.

I was getting out the hose this weekend to spray the lawn and the wife asked "what are you doing?"

So I replied "getting ready to spray for weeds," to which she replied " but we don't have any weeds," to which I replied "that's right."

Weed B gone is a mix of 2,4_D, MCPP, and Dicamba. If you have tomatoes or grapes nearby be careful of wind and volatility drift. especially because of the dicamba component.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Seriously? You OBVIOUSLY don't have the Carolina broadleaf variety. They will literally spread to over 1 foot in diameter, before long there is ZERO grass and nothing but the boardleaf's.

Are you talking about the Carolina geranium? That stuff should be on the FBI's most wanted list.

[Linked Image]

Had that stuff at my Gma's place and it got out of hand. Killed half the Bermuda off in 2 years. Had to use roundup early in the year while the Bermuda was dormant to kill the Carolina geranium, then apply heavy fertilizer to the Bermuda to fill in the remaining bare dirt spots..
Originally Posted by Flyer01

This is a DOW Chemical product, see your local farm supply store. Works great on the dandelions and even thistle in my lawn.

Curtail® M Herbicide

Curtail® M herbicide translocates to the roots of stubborn perennial weeds, providing outstanding control of Canada thistle. In addition, Curtail M also controls many annual broadleaf species, such as wild mustard, wild buckwheat, pigweed, lambsquarters, volunteer sunflower and more. Curtail M contains clopyralid and MCPA, and it is helpful for small grains growers who want the superior crop tolerance offered by MCPA in their weed control programs, but still require powerful broadleaf weed control.

Just don't put Curtail down if you have trees you'd like to keep. http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld02B008.pdf

If you have an average size suburban lawn, I'd pick the flowers to keep them from going to seed and spot treat with Weed-B-Gone. If your neighbors don't use herbicides to control dandelions, you're job of spot, stalk, and treat will never end. One of my neighbors has small children and a dog, so he doesn't use herbicides on his lawn, nor does he use a dandelion fork to remove them, so his lawn is more weed than grass.
Originally Posted by walt501
Years ago I had about 3/4 acre of lawn that was full of dandelions. Local place sold me some concentrate (don't remember what) but also sold me some blue dye to put in with it once I'd mixed up a batch. Using a hand sprayer, I hit each dandelion. The blue dye was a real help in being able to tell which plants had been treated from those I had missed.

that could be helpful for being sure of coverage,
buy a goat.
Originally Posted by 700LH
buy a goat.

Yep.

Two birds, one stone.

Dave
buy a goat.

Best plan yet!

[Linked Image]
The trick with many herbicides is to spray the evening before a hot day, at least 80' F. Sometimes hard to do in the northern states before dandelions go to seed. In cooler weather you need a stronger mix.
Thanks, Dave. Beautiful car! Gotta love the classic lines of them old Fords.
7mm
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Thanks, Dave. Beautiful car! Gotta love the classic lines of them old Fords.
7mm

Ummm....

Nevermind. laugh
24D.

[Linked Image]

Any brand will work fine as long as 24D is the ingredient.
buy a goat.

Best plan yet!

[Linked Image]

Not the kind you drive.

The kind you ride.

Dave
get the stronger stuff, about the same price and goes farther

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Originally Posted by Flyer01

Curtail® M Herbicide

Just don't put Curtail down if you have trees you'd like to keep. http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld02B008.pdf

This is what I used to use in a 16 gallon sprayer that mounts to the back rack of a 4 wheeler.

That was before my 4 wheeler blew up and my tank fell off a shelf and broke the crap out of everything.

Curtail M knocks the crap out of dandelion, pigweed and thistle and I think it took the clover too.
Scott's Turf Builder Weed n' Feed or TB/+2 Weed Control.

Are you talking about the Carolina geranium? That stuff should be on the FBI's most wanted list.

[Linked Image]

Had that stuff at my Gma's place and it got out of hand. Killed half the Bermuda off in 2 years. Had to use roundup early in the year while the Bermuda was dormant to kill the Carolina geranium, then apply heavy fertilizer to the Bermuda to fill in the remaining bare dirt spots..

No
Went to TS and got a jug of the Gordons 400 Amine and a new sprayer.

Weed n Feed should just drop the "N".
for me it was good grass with good dirt under it. i planted a big section of my old garden with penn state blend grass seed about 15 years ago and it is the only section of my yard with no dandelions. the penn state stuff is spendy but it is well worth it. stays green even in the hot part of summer.

Are you talking about the Carolina geranium? That stuff should be on the FBI's most wanted list. AT #3 right after ground ivy at #2 and whoever the $#%^&@#%^ was that planted the #$%@^&$# stuff as a ground cover at #1.

[Linked Image]

Weedmaster is the bomb. Kills almost any broadleaf plants, but leaves your grass alone. It's a bit expensive, but a little goes a long way.
Eat them, there are a lot of good recipes---
Definitely 2-4-d amine formulation, but you need to spray more than once. 2-4-d is a contact herbicide and won't get the ones that have not sprouted yet and dandelions sprout over a 2-3 week periods
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Weedmaster is the bomb. Kills almost any broadleaf plants, but leaves your grass alone. It's a bit expensive, but a little goes a long way.

Weedmaster is 2-4D.
[Linked Image]

So, which part of your front yard is this?

blush grin
Before they bloom you eat the leaves like salad. After they bloom, you pick the flowers and make wine. Why on Earth would you want to get rid of them. They are a gift from Heaven.
Redneck home brew sprayer. 25 gallon tank with 2gpm pump. 3 nozzles. Don't know how much I'm pushing, but 2 ounces to gallon of 2-4D driving fast enough to wet the leaves.

[Linked Image]
Get the 46% 2,4-D from Tractor Supply AND a good backpack (4 gal) sprayer. Also, add a bit of surfactant to help the water stick better (some just use dish soap). Lastly, it's more effective if you spray while they're blooming.

I had dandelions in my pasture that must have been 30-40 years old, they had roots about 3/4 inch across and looked like long carrots.
Originally Posted by hatari
2-4 D

dandilions are broadleaf weeds.

I tried some Ortho Max or something along that lines this spring as it was on sale, should have just bought the 2-4 D. Works a hell of a lot better
I prefer Crossbow which is 2,4-D and triclopyr.
The key to true broadleaf control is treating in the fall, Memorial Day or later in the north. At that point, all broadleafs that are going to sprout for the year have done so, and any good contact herbicide will kill them well since they are absorbing nutrients to send them straight to the roots.

Then it is simple to maintain with something like weed-n-feed in the spring, or simply spray heavy each fall.
A heavy application of Varget and toss on a lit Cigar as you head to the shop!
2 others that work well are LV6 which is a stronger form of 2 4 D. The other is Milestone. It kills all broad leaf plants and has a residual effect for about 3 years. It is expensive though.I really like it for Thistles and kills them when other herbicides won't.Either will kill dandelions easily.
2-4-D Amine. And dont forget to mow high and mow often. Short cut grass is a haven for weeds to sprout.
2,4D amine concentrate. Weed-B-Gone has 2,4D as an active ingredient, but lacks much power. Follow directions for mix then add just a bit more for a knock-out punch. Add a surfactant like orange oil or old fashioned dish soap so the herbicide will stick to the broadleaf. Apply in the early am when dew is on the grass and the weed's pores are open. It also helps to see your tracks so you get good coverage and not too much overlap. Try to make sure there's no rain in the forecast for a few days. Tank on a wheeler or tractor will save your back for that big patch of grass you have.

I used to do it summers for a large lawn outfit for 4 years. Weeds will be less when your lawn (grass) gets stronger. Aerate and overseed spring and fall. Crabgrass pre-emergent in the spring, slow release nitrogen in summer, weed and feed in the fall. Cut lower spring and fall, higher in heat of the summer; never more than a 1/3 of the grass blade, and water about an 1" a week. That's all there is to it! cool
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
[Linked Image]

So, which part of your front yard is this?

blush grin

Must be the part that doesn't get much water.

Goats are the best deal. After they get Dave's yard in shape he can rent 'em out. And eat some of the youngens.
atse,

Milestone is probably fine for the OP, but don't use it where livestock will graze, (or hay grown).

Myron
I got a major handle on my lawn and the dandelion patch by mowing every 2 or 3 days for the last couple weeks and they're practically all gone.
AcesNeights,

"I got a major handle on my lawn and the dandelion patch by mowing every 2 or 3 days for the last couple weeks and they're practically all gone."

I'll for sure never get a handle on mine, then.
I really don't mind a few.

I'll be d@amned if I'm going to mow every 2 or 3 days.
Sound like a plan, though if they really bother you.

Myron
They don't really bother me. The chickens like them hell even my lab will choose a salad from time to time. I don't mind mowing as I get on the John Deere and get lost in thought, it's the damn thistle I don't like.
2, 4, D purchased at about 50% active ingredient mixed as a 3% solution (about 1.92 ounces per gallon) with about 10 drops of dish detergent added. Mist the yard about twice a summer. Kills broadleaves, but is harmless to grasses.

Higher concentrations will rapidly top kill but not take out the roots.
Dandelions?

Triclophlor eats em for breakfast, but pre-emirgence.

A real weed had to be invented by Germans.....Creeping Charlie. Triclophlor as well. A spring dose can barely control them. Fall is the time to get rid of weeds.

Odd, Norwegians bitching about dandelions....

Getting rid of weeds starts in the fall. Making them gone in June is almost a year behind and wasting dollars in the process.

Weeds die best when they have to feed, as does grass strenghthen when it needs to be fed.
Toxins stored in broadleaves means they dont live to make the next season....
AcesNeights,

About the only thing that will kill thistle, is Curtail M with clopyralid. Or -

Do a search for "cloropyralid" herbicide. It is the straight stuff available under several different names, even from the same manufacturer.

These are NOT to be used where kids will be playing. They are pretty much for professional use, but I was able to purchase some a few years ago,

Myron

The quickest, most thorough job of getting rid of dandelions over a large area I've ever seen was a company of basic trainees, dress-right-dress in a straight line, armed with mess kit spoons.
joken2,
"The quickest, most thorough job of getting rid of dandelions over a large area I've ever seen was a company of basic trainees, dress-right-dress in a straight line, armed with mess kit spoons."

That is downright funny!

That would work until they came back up from what root was too deep for the spoons.

Myron
Right on.

So, "mouse eared.." Something or another? We're getting over run by a small clover like weed as well. It's not as bothersome as the dandelions but it still don't belong.

2,4-D should work on that too.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Didn't read any posts other than what the OP asked. The answer is Trimec Classic. with about 26% 2,4-D. Buy a gallon jug for about $55 and get a good hand sprayer or if you have a large yard, a 10-25 gallon pull behind sprayer.
Trimec costs double for the amount of product you need. And at the rate you're applying, it's literally 50% of a standard dose for broadleaf weeds.

That 2.5 gallon jug of Amine 400 costs $43 and the concentrate's nearly 47%.. AND you can cover 10 acres at that rate. Yer payin' twice the price for the "Trimec" name.. Just to give you a comparison.. smile

get the stronger stuff, about the same price and goes farther

[Linked Image]
That IS the stuff I use - same concentrate percentage/different manufacturer.. Ergo, right on! laugh

Originally Posted by MadMooner
Went to TS and got a jug of the Gordons 400 Amine and a new sprayer.

Weed n Feed should just drop the "N".
Smart man - good job..

Originally Posted by stomatador
Get the 46% 2,4-D from Tractor Supply AND a good backpack (4 gal) sprayer.
Fine for a very small lawn - but ND just added what looks like 2-3 acres of seed..
Also, add a bit of surfactant to help the water stick better (some just use dish soap). Lastly, it's more effective if you spray while they're blooming.
.......AND when the temp is north of 75 degrees..
I get my 2,4-D in a 2 1/2 gallon jug from my local COOP and mix my own. Not sure about the 3 or whatever ounces per gallon of water, I go by the glugs. I mix mine up pretty strong and them yellow devils don't stand a chance.
Got ready to do some spraying yesterday with my ATV mounted sprayer. I have already used it this year, but yesterday it had pin holes in all the hoses. Looked like somebody poked them with a needle. Could not see them until the pressure hit and then I took a shower. miles
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I get my 2,4-D in a 2 1/2 gallon jug from my local COOP and mix my own. Not sure about the 3 or whatever ounces per gallon of water, I go by the glugs. I mix mine up pretty strong and them yellow devils don't stand a chance.
If it's the 47% stuff then yes, 3.2 oz/gallon is correct (for covering 4,300 sq/ft). You can go a tad higher, but do not exceed 15% (roughly) more than that. All that would do is burn the foliage but not get to the root and you'll be right back where you started in a few months..

Originally Posted by milespatton
Got ready to do some spraying yesterday with my ATV mounted sprayer. I have already used it this year, but yesterday it had pin holes in all the hoses. Looked like somebody poked them with a needle. Could not see them until the pressure hit and then I took a shower. miles
WTH happened to those hoses??
If you have hard water, it might be good to add some ammonium sulfate (AMS) to the tank as well. I buy mine at Tractor Supply in the herbicide section.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by muleshoe
If it's the 47% stuff then yes, 3.2 oz/gallon is correct (for covering 4,300 sq/ft). You can go a tad higher, but do not exceed 15% (roughly) more than that. All that would do is burn the foliage but not get to the root and you'll be right back where you started in a few months..

I mixed some Remedy Ultra to take out some tough huisache brush. Mixed it strong for IPT treatment, and saw some tough weeds I'd been wanting to hit for while... So I sprayed them while I had the sprayer going. Even though Remedy is broadleaf, it killed the grass around the weeds too... Oh well... wink
Why mess with them ?

Crap, mine can have no yellow when I go to bed, wake up to a yard of yellow by mid morning, and have seeds blowing around by late afternoon. Those things always amaze me how fast they transition.
The guy across the street from me does no yard work until the city leaves him a warning note. Knee-high "grass" which is composed mainly of weeds. Some of them noxious and invasive, such as Dyer's Wode.

And damndelions. Lots and lots of damndelions.

I put down a bag of pre-emergent fertilizer very early every Spring, follow that up with Weed & Feed in late Spring (like now), and two more feedings in early August and late October.

I get very few damndelions, unlike all my other neighbors. The few that show up appear at edges and other thin spots. For those, I either dig or use a spot spray. Not enough of them to warrant napalm (to bring the thread full circle.)
Dave the 24d products all work well on what you are targeting post emergence, spray before seeding at a young stage for best control. There are really good 24d products out there that are broad spectrum as well and have long residuals which will only have the need to spray once a year (Grazon is one) but may not be available in your area without licensing. Pre-emergence products are a good choice too and can go down to prevent the unwanted seed from sprouting. Atrazine is a good one. Get a handle on it for a couple of years and you may be able to skip a couple of seasons. Good luck...
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The guy across the street from me does no yard work until the city leaves him a warning note. Knee-high "grass" which is composed mainly of weeds. Some of them noxious and invasive, such as Dyer's Wode.

And damndelions. Lots and lots of damndelions.

You need to visit your neighbors house in the middle of the night with a few gallons of Round-Up. wink
When I was unemployed I would take a weed pulling fork and crawl around the yard pulling them up one at a time. Right after a rain is a good time. Otherwise the root breaks off and no real benefit.
But if you pull out the root they don't come back.
You can try Weed be gone and Weed need but I suggest pulling them out. You can make wine out out of them I have been told.
Do not hire the USU grounds crew, they can't tell the difference between glyphosate and 2-4,D.

On the other hand they did kill the dandelions.

[Linked Image]
OOOOPPPPPSSSSS! sorry about that. My bad! Can we talk about that promotion now?

Or was it 'No habla englais"
[Linked Image]images by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr
stomatador.

That is what you call a 'low maintenance' lawn !

Been tempted a few time to do that myself.

Myron
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
OOOOPPPPPSSSSS! sorry about that. My bad! Can we talk about that promotion now?

Or was it 'No habla englais"

No language excuses. Apparently it was a labeling mistake BUT he sprayed half the hill before he decided that it didn't smell like 2,4-D (glyphosate/roundup is pretty much odorless). His supervisor took the fall.
roundup smile
Originally Posted by stomatador
Do not hire the USU grounds crew, they can't tell the difference between glyphosate and 2-4,D.

On the other hand they did kill the dandelions.

[Linked Image]

Oh chit!!

I know a guy that accidentally did that to his lawn right before his sons grad party. Lol! It was some free chemical, he thought it was 2-4D I think but it was more like roundup. Nice brown lawn for the grad party, killed the whole thing. Lol
Roundup... (2-4-5-T?) Works every time. Them dead spots in the lawn only last a couple years, A year longer than dog-chit, but those yellow bastids are GONE. Mostly I use it on peripheral stuff- like on the gravel driveway.

Don't do it near the lilac bush or anything important- wife did. After 5 years, the thing is starting to look like it might live after all....

Wee-b-gone doesn't kill the grass, but works slower. Sometimes takes a couple shots a few days apart.

Fighting dandelions is like fighting ISES.... no end to it.
Fighting dandelions is like fighting ISES.... no end to it.

Dandelions do not bother me but white flies in my Gardenias do, and I can't get rid of them. On some advice that I received, I use a granule fertilizer called Rose and flower care that is supposed to take care of the problem, but it is just temporary. Any ideas? miles
WTH happened to those hoses??

No idea. Like I said, I have already use the thing this year and no freezes since, so that is not the problem. I just cut off a length when the first one showed, but they kept popping up. Like I said, looked like a needle was shove into them. Squirrels tear up everything here, but they make bigger holes. Leave an extension cord out for a little while and they eat the insulation off. Have had them cut the hoses on a propane torch, but this is different. miles
Tordon mixed with a little Warbex and some sour gasoline?
So we put all this poison into the environment to kill a native plant with a pretty yellow flower. That's nonsense if you ask me. Kentucky Blue Grass is the real invader.... unless its in Kentucky of course. whistle
Originally Posted by coat4gun
So we put all this poison into the environment to kill a native plant with a pretty yellow flower. That's nonsense if you ask me. Kentucky Blue Grass is the real invader.... unless its in Kentucky of course. whistle

Yea right

I like to save my environmental napalm for the true evil native weed... poison ivy. grin
You put up one of two signs, depending on your neighbourhood. Either:

U-Pick Dandelion Farm: Free Picking on Weekdays

or

Dandelion Farm: Please do not steal

Why mess with them ?

Myron

Yankees

Perfect! Then no need to mow. Lawns are overrated anyway.

Since I started beekeeping and getting my own raw honey, dandelions in my yard get a pass.
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Why mess with them ?

Myron

Yankees

Guessing you missed it.

Perfect! Then no need to mow. Lawns are overrated anyway.

Since I started beekeeping and getting my own raw honey, dandelions in my yard get a pass.
Steelhead,

You didn't include the rest of my response to that:

"I guess not. Ours don't get that large or invasive. Just scattered plants.
Just regular mowing keeps them pretty much in check.

If I had yours, I might be putting on some 2,4D."

Myron
I have a new pump and spray bar for the 4-wheeler. It is going to be weed Armageddon tomorrow around the farmyard.

Every year we end up with gallons of various uber-nasty chemicals left over from crop spraying. I know basically zero about the different sprays but am thinking LV6 or Outlaw?
Sam,

"Every year we end up with gallons of various uber-nasty chemicals left over from crop spraying."

I assume that you keep the leftovers for the next year. Most of them will keep just fine until the next season.

The only one that I remember had a label that said it could 'freeze below 42 degrees' was a surfactant, and I don't know if it would be useable again once it warmed up.

Myron

Originally Posted by coat4gun

Hey, Sherlock, dandelions are not native to North America.....
Hey, Sherlock, dandelions are not native to North America.....

Most of the problems are not Native. grin miles
Thought we had the perfect solution when one of our two dogs developed a taste for dandelion heads. Unfortunately, the little twerp now prefers them AFTER they've gone to seed.

Fiskars ... this company makes some great tools. Including axes, garden tools and a dandelion puller tool.
Cover them with snow.
© 24hourcampfire