Home
http://registerguard.com/rg/opinion...nst-those-who-insult-our-ideals.html.csp

You call me racist. You call me sexist. You call me ignorant. Sadly, this is not uncommon in America.

A disheartening example is President Obama’s infamous condemnation of the right: “It’s not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them.”

To what do I owe this honor? I am a Caucasian who goes to church. I intentionally married a woman who wanted to be a stay-at-home mom. I believe that it is wrong to kill another human being at any stage of life. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness — these are the simple liberties of a free society.

Yet I am reviled.

On May 6 I took my daughter, a high school senior, to Donald Trump’s presidential campaign rally in Eugene — a chance to witness history. Trump put on a good show and we left. As we walked to the car, we passed two people holding anti-Trump signs, shouting “Racist!” toward people leaving the rally.

I stopped. They were alarmed. One of them declared, “I have the right to free speech!” I agreed and allowed them to make their case. They repeated a few throw-away lines, such as “Love, not walls.” I then asked for my turn to make my point. “No!” they spat.

Vladimir Lenin’s quote immediately came to mind: “A lie, told often enough, becomes the truth.” Genocide, not liberty, is Lenin’s legacy.

My grandfather, Leo J. Herrera, came to America from Mexico, lawfully. My grandmother, Elizabeth Windt, came to America from Germany, lawfully. They met and married. English was not their native language, but they spoke it anyway. They wanted to become Americans.

I ask nothing more, nor less, of other immigrants — enter lawfully, speak English, become Americans. But you call me “racist.”

You call me sexist. The left sees itself as “pro-choice.” My wife and I have four children. My wife chose to be a stay-at-home mom. Nevertheless, the left denigrates my wife’s choice to raise her children. Worse, the left sees men and women as interchangeable, neither having any inherent value different than the other.

The left is mistaken. Women have gifts that men do not — bringing forth life is feminine, not masculine. Saint John Paul II said it best in his Apostolic Exhortation on the Family: “The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value.”

I will send my second daughter to college in the fall. She will find her own path. Some of my advice she will take, some she won’t. If she chooses motherhood over money and career, I will not count my tuition dollars as wasted. Sadly, I expect the left to damn her with faint praise.

You call me ignorant. You tell me it is wrong to be a skeptic. This is odd when one considers that science is most simply defined as “skepticism, organized.” The scientific method requires continuous inquiry, testing and verification. I do not claim to know everything. But I do have a bachelor of science degree from the University of California, Davis, and a law degree from the University of Oregon. I can apply verifiable facts to difficult problems.

Lately, we have struggled with the rights of transgender and similarly situated people. Lost in this debate are the few verifiable facts. We know that a person’s 23rd chromosome is the primary determinant of gender — XX for female and XY for male. Ordinarily, this is conclusive, but not always.

Dutch track athlete Foekje Dillema was banned from competition in 1950 and stripped of her records after she failed a “sex test.” A study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine shed some light on her condition, stating: “Decades later, DNA analysis indicates that Foekje Dillema had a 46,XX/46,XY mosaic condition.” She had both XX (female) and XY (male) genes.

Olympic Gold Medalist Bruce Jenner is an XY male. He has recently transitioned to Caitlyn Jenner in a very public manner. This is clinically termed gender dysphoria. Jenner and Dillema have completely different situations and require different solutions. Contrast this to Obama’s one-size-fits-all public school bathroom mandate.

Yet you call me “ignorant.”

I will not submit to the left’s labeling me “racist” or “sexist” or “ignorant.” My children do not know why I am so hated, but I am. Tellingly, Jenner states, “I have gotten more flak for being a conservative Republican than I have for being trans.” Which brings me back to Donald Trump. Trump is no savior. What he is is a fighter. And he has chosen to fight those who hate me, hate my wife, hate my family and hate my church.

So I am all in.

Brian Thompson practices law in Eugene.

BMT
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
You actually think anybody's going to open that chit ?

WTF, Over ?

GTC
Posted By: BMT Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
Browser issues with all these ads.

Fixt.

BMT
Posted By: logger Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
And in the Register Guard to boot. Nicely done, but when it comes to the legal stuff, bearcats trump ducks.
Posted By: Scott F Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
Well said. We raised six kids and my wife stayed home until they were grown.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
You hit the nail on the head BMT.
Posted By: Snake River Marksman Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
I like it!
Posted By: 700LH Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
Well said.
Posted By: BamBam Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
Spot on! Thanks for sharing that with us, at least for me it was very refreshing.
Posted By: Stevil Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
' I believe that it is wrong to kill another human being '

thats where you lost me.

[bleep] Pro lifer get a life douche bag !

Religous nutters have had there say for too long
Originally Posted by Stevil

thats where you lost me.

OK then. I have permission to kill you? Or does your position only apply to someone else's life?

BMT
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: TRumo - 05/25/16

thats where you lost me.

Well, it's good thing the innocent don't have YOU in their corner fighting for them...
Posted By: 4ager Re: TRumo - 05/25/16

thats where you lost me.

Great; you believe in unjustified murder at any stage of life. Since you Aussies have no problems bringing in Muslims that love to kill you, and you have given up your right to self defense, we can assume you have no problem with someone murdering you whenever they feel like it because you merely inconvenience them.

The sooner, the better, in fact.
Originally Posted by BMT

thats where you lost me.

OK then. I have permission to kill you? Or does your position only apply to someone else's life?

BMT

We should understand that Stevil is: 1) Aussie, 2) an adolescent, 3) irrelevant, 4) completely lacking in intellectual ability or integrity, and 5) a mere troll.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: TRumo - 05/25/16

thats where you lost me.

Well, F U C K Y O U A S S H O L E!
Brian,

Very well written and spot on. I agree on all points. Based upon most of the comments you got on the linked article at the Register-Guard, it would seem that they have an extremely liberal audience.

Thanks for posting!
Brian- Great job with the content of the article and getting them to publish it!

I read the article in the RG this morning; but did not know at the time that it was from a fellow 24 CF member. It was nice to see that printed in the local liberal paper.

Yes the RG is a very liberal paper in one of the most liberal strongholds in the entire USA. But... There are a number of conservative people that live here. Unfortunately, not enough to sway the crazy liberal voting in this most blue of states. But does not stop me from voting or standing for what is right!

And that includes the rights of all human beings- born or unborn

Stephen
Great editorial BMT.

I don't understand what compels some retarded reject half a world away to comment on our politics? Some neutered liberal limp wrist thinks we GAF about what she thinks?tff
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: TRumo - 05/25/16

thats where you lost me.

Your mother had a chance - early on. Too bad, we'd all be better off.
I'm not a pro lifer but I thoroughly enjoyed your editorial and find you a man of good and honorable character.

Stevil on the other hand represents everything that is wrong with people and especially liberals.
An embryo aint a human being, lol 4ager run out of water have ya ?
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
Don't feed the f ucking troll!
I love when all the delisional religious douche bags gather n hold hands....
Posted By: Steelhead Re: TRumo - 05/25/16

Luckily I ain't religious and you are still a load your mom should have swallowed
Posted By: rrroae Re: TRumo - 05/25/16

Well, I'm nothing close to religious, could care less about abortion and I still think you're a world class horse's azz.

You're simply another overseas liberal who had their balls neutered but still thinks preaching to us in that whiny liberal tone while going on and on with the HuffPost talking points will somehow intimidate us. Sorry junior, many here despised Bush but that in no way excuses Obama for the trainwreck administration he's run.
trainwreck aside the religious loonies have had a say for far too long !!

Im a conseervativ in the true sense, something thats been lacking in ur Politics for a long time.

I just enjoy countering those who proclaim to be conservative but in reality are just as delusional as the hard left and the Radical Muslims.

Stone away and Im entilted to a say when ur Politics have a massive bearing on our economy and way of life, so suck it up Buddy !
Well stated.
Posted By: night_owl Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
Nicely written sir.
Posted By: rrroae Re: TRumo - 05/25/16

Im a conseervativ in the true sense, something thats been lacking in ur Politics for a long time.

Then you must think Australia's immigration policy should be one we mirror and that Obama is king of the nickel head club for his immigration policy.

Of course with as thick as you lay on the Obama love, I find that very hard to believe.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
Great Post BMT
Posted By: CCCC Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
BMT - very well said, and done so in a way that got it published in an adverse journal. Good work.

I just enjoy countering those who proclaim to be conservative but in reality are just as delusional as the hard left and the Radical Muslims.

Stone away and Im entilted to a say when ur Politics have a massive bearing on our economy and way of life, so suck it up Buddy !

You're a lying adolescent.

Far from religious, but the biological fact that the baby is human and therefore a human life is irrefutable.

You've been shown up and shown out, boy. That's glaringly obvious.
Originally Posted by CCCC
BMT - very well said, and done so in a way that got it published in an adverse journal. Good work.

Exactly. Brian is eloquent - when he needs to be. wink
Originally Posted by rrroae
I'm not a pro lifer but I thoroughly enjoyed your editorial and find you a man of good and honorable character.

Stevil on the other hand represents everything that is wrong with people and especially liberals.

Well said and well said to the OP
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by CCCC

Exactly. Brian is eloquent - when he needs to be. wink

DAT hurt my feelers. I writes good lots laugh

More seriously thanks to all for the compliments.

BMT
couldn't have said it better trips

yep BMT fine job on the letter to the editor.
BMT

Hope that article opens some blind eyes in Oregon. If not hope it causes a few Liberals loose some sleep. GW
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
When you stopped with your daughter to confront those retard #nevertrumps I thought you were too polite.
Nicely done, BMT.
Bravo sir, bravo!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
Brian, great read. Thanks for putting it out there.

And..

Stevil is nothing more than akin to a common internet troll living in his mother's basement below her garden, which he occasionally weeds for pot and beer money.
BMT, you done good, and I admire the professional stones it takes to put that out in Eugene. ;-{>8
It feels good to put it all out there once in a while. Kudos to you!
Always fun on this site to see men who act like real men (gentlemen) and those who have no idea of what civil discourse means.

The former will read. consider, may agree or disagree but do it as men.

The latter call names, have foul mouths, cast aspersions on parents/family, are racist, are homophobes, are scared of superior women and when all fails will gang up to get the person they cannot best banned from the site because, and only because, they hate them.

While I believe the people in Australia are on the wrong path and risk (as are the EU and UK) a bloody internal religious war, it's not my place to curse at them, say they should have been aborted or their fathers semen eaten by mom.

I can make my case with history, facts and cool logic.

Since bigoted fools like these are so easy to out think, name calling is not required to utterly defeat them in the court of rationale debate.

That is not their environment. Most would be more at home at a KKK rally or painting swastikas on a synogouge.

They, unlike you, have not the courage to express oneself in a public forum like a newspaper rather, confining themselves to website where they can hide and where (they think) their scurrilous behavior will have no consequences.

BMT, congratulations, but prepare yourself for a big helping of more irrational insults, followed by lies, followed by stupid pictures to degrade you and finally, eventual demands by the 20 or so who really run the site, that you be expunged from their safe little world of mutual admiration.

Don't even try to point out that they fracture the site's rules:

"FORUM RULES

1] Please be respectful of other posters at all times. The ability to refrain from personal attacks, obscenities, and flame wars is a minimum requirement for a log at the Campfire."

As nobody cares.

good luck.

Very well said, should be required reading for RobJordan.
I like it. Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by BMT

Fixt.

BMT

Read it,....re-read it.

Thanks and BRAVO !

GTC
Nice try 1000is but plenty of women are offend by the article, but hey Religions been repressing woman for thousands of years.

Posted By: stomatador Re: TRumo - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Luckily I ain't religious and you are still a load your mom should have swallowed

Pro-choice options are often exercised one generation too late.
Posted By: Shodd Re: TRumo - 05/25/16

thats where you lost me.

Killing should be legal friend

So I hope your not offended when I put a bullet in you. If you disagree well then your a hateful bastard

Shod
Originally Posted by 1000is
Always fun on this site to see men who act like real men (gentlemen) and those who have no idea of what civil discourse means.

The latter call names, have foul mouths, cast aspersions on parents/family, are racist, are homophobes, are scared of superior women and when all fails will gang up to get the person they cannot best banned from the site because, and only because, they hate them.

While I believe the people in Australia are on the wrong path and risk (as are the EU and UK) a bloody internal religious war, it's not my place to curse at them, say they should have been aborted or their fathers semen eaten by mom.

Since bigoted fools like these are so easy to out think, name calling is not required to utterly defeat them in the court of rationale debate.

That is not their environment. Most would be more at home at a KKK rally or painting swastikas on a synogouge.

They, unlike you, have not the courage to express oneself in a public forum like a newspaper rather, confining themselves to website where they can hide and where (they think) their scurrilous behavior will have no consequences.

BMT, congratulations, but prepare yourself for a big helping of more irrational insults, followed by lies, followed by stupid pictures to degrade you and finally, eventual demands by the 20 or so who really run the site, that you be expunged from their safe little world of mutual admiration.

"FORUM RULES

1] Please be respectful of other posters at all times. The ability to refrain from personal attacks, obscenities, and flame wars is a minimum requirement for a log at the Campfire."

As nobody cares.

good luck.

Hi Larry.

As nobody cares.

good luck.

I care

Now go F'K yourself

Shod
Posted By: jdm953 Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
Do a DNA test and ask science.When your DNA is complete you exist.
An embryo aint a human being, lol 4ager run out of water have ya ?
Posted By: smokepole Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
Nice try 1000is but plenty of women are offend by the article......

What, you showed it to your friends over a stiff cup of herbal tea and some scones? Did the tea help with the cramps?
Posted By: hatari Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
Originally Posted by 4ager

We should understand that Stevil is: 1) Aussie, 2) an adolescent, 3) irrelevant, 4) completely lacking in intellectual ability or integrity, and 5) a mere troll.

Interesting. Explains a lot. Probably lives in Mother's basement gaming 18 hours a day too.
Posted By: KFWA Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
if its online, I'm interested to know what kind of comments its receiving
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: TRumo - 05/26/16

thats where you lost me.

When you're ready to have reasonable debate over such things I'll be pleased to delete the following pic, but until then you sound like a rabid idiot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bellydeep Re: TRumo - 05/26/16

Crack pipe much?
Posted By: Sponxx Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
I think this is an excellent editorial, whether it is about Trump or not. This all could be said about the conservatism vs liberalism, without citing any candidates. Matter of fact is conservatives of any kind (religious, political) are viewed as prehistoric vile being by those who only have very open minds as long as you share their beliefs:
Right of speech only if you say what they want to hear, or sexual choice, or whatever.

Regarding embryos or not being human or not, I believe they are. I don't believe in abortion, but it is legal here and I suck it up. Legal, ethical and moral don't always align.

BMT, I also have 4 kids, and my wife does an amazing job raising them. They way I view it is instead of one "succesful woman" now are family has the potential for 4 successful, well raised and educated lifes.
Thanks for the clear writing.

Posted By: smarquez Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
When you stopped with your daughter to confront those retard #nevertrumps I thought you were too polite.

It's called the high road.

"FORUM RULES

As nobody cares.

good luck.

*long sigh* Very well said. I miss Mr. Coleman.
Nice article and good job!
Posted By: RickyD Re: TRumo - 05/26/16

thats where you lost me.

St.Evil from the pit of Hell. You and those like you are what is wrong with the world.
Originally Posted by Sponxx
BMT, I also have 4 kids, and my wife does an amazing job raising them. They way I view it is instead of one "succesful woman" now are family has the potential for 4 successful, well raised and educated lifes.

My wife thought about going back to work after our first son was born. Then realized she couldn't, once he arrived. She didn't want someone else raising him or being the one to hear his first words (or the next two).

I can't see how anyone could fault that decision. Or frankly, that it's anyone else's business.
Great read. I am 33 years old, married, with a single daughter who my wife has sacrificed to stay at home and raise / home-school. We are god-fearing Christians who work for everything we have, save what we can for retirement, and enjoy our lives as conservative outdoors-people.

I know I am the enemy of the left and I am reminded of that everyday I watch or listen to the news.

Your editorial is spot on.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
BMT;

GREAT article!

Glad to see the liberal RG had the guts to print it!

More people need to read sound reasoning.

Virgil B.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
Well said and well done.
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
Very well written BMT, thank you very much for sharing with us!!!

Stevil.... Go get you crayons and coloring book and get back to work, the short bus will be by soon to pick you up!

Seriously kid , leave the political discourse to the adults.

"FORUM RULES

As nobody cares.

good luck.

THIS, coming from one of the several currently active log-in personas for the continually banned Larry Root is just hilariously ironic (or, hypocritical; take your pick).
Realistically, at this point, I'd lean more towards "sad"...
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
Well the tally on THIS thread shows about 80% men and 20% the "usual suspects".

It appears there is a direct correlation between post count and inane comments. The more the more silly. I see where 34% of 18-34 year olds are living at home. Our high count posters are probably their parents ..... computer addicts as well.

Could there be hope ? Probably not.
Posted By: smokepole Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
If you didn't have to change your moniker so often youd have a pretty high post count yourself.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Sponxx

My wife thought about going back to work after our first son was born. Then realized she couldn't, once he arrived. She didn't want someone else raising him or being the one to hear his first words (or the next two).

I can't see how anyone could fault that decision. Or frankly, that it's anyone else's business.

I'll never pass judgement on someone who put their kids in daycare to provide a better life for themselves and their kids

Before I had kids I had a guy tell me once "I'd live in a damn trailer before I let someone else raise my kids" and it stuck with me.

The flipside of that is with my wife staying home with the kids, I got serious about my career and in a short time, it wasn't a matter of us doing without anymore (within reason).

I won't retire a wealthy man but I wouldn't trade my decisions (now maybe when i'm old and living off dog food I may say differently)
Posted By: oldman1942 Good Editorial ! - 05/26/16
Originally Posted by smokepole
If you didn't have to change your moniker so often youd have a pretty high post count yourself.

Are you searching for "you would" ?

Yes it is high, but not 15/day.

Doubt you or any of the other "pile ons" have any idea of the why of the first ban. Hint: it had to do with trolls making up rules not on the site rules.

As with ALL threads on this site, once anyone tries to be adult or stay on topic the loon clique (+-20) swoops in
on them to assert their OCD control over their tiny little cave on the Internet.

Easily spotted as they never:
-buy from members
-buy from sponsors
-defend anyone under attack
-reveal who they really are And

always have a high post count.

Since you're (a contraction of "you are" for the short bus crowd) so hung up on banning, you might read the rules.

Adios

Posted By: BMT Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by BMT

Fixt.

BMT

Read it,....re-read it.

Thanks and BRAVO !

GTC

My pleasure.
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
BMT;

GREAT article!

Glad to see the liberal RG had the guts to print it!

More people need to read sound reasoning.

Virgil B.

Thank VB

How is Vanda?
Posted By: kwg020 Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
You espoused a lot of logic BMT. And 99% of us here at the Campfire agree with you. We are in your choir.

Unfortunately the people who really need to read your editorial and think through the talking points you wrote about, probably won't read it or refuse to read it let alone think those talking points through and digest the wisdom you put into print.

But, it puts a lot of things into perspective at least for those of us in the choir. I'm all in as well.

Well done.

kwg
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Definitely the best part of him ran down his mama's leg. It's hard to believe that out of 10 million sperm, he was the fastest

Great editorial BMT!
Hey Steelhead I find it interesting that u choose to denigrate my mother in such a light, shows what a coward you are !

Careful he may know your mother.
Hey Steelhead I find it interesting that u choose to denigrate my mother in such a light, shows what a coward you are !

Tick, tock, Tick,, Toc,, Tick,,, Tock,,, Tick,,,, Tock,,,, Tick,,,,, Tock,,,,, Tick,,,,,,,,, Tock,,,,,,,,,, Tick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Your progressive experiment has been an abject failure. It was amusing at first, but as usual, you overplayed your hand. We're tired of it. It's costing us money.
Originally Posted by kwg020
You espoused a lot of logic BMT. And 99% of us here at the Campfire agree with you. We are in your choir.

Unfortunately the people who really need to read your editorial and think through the talking points you wrote about, probably won't read it or refuse to read it let alone think those talking points through and digest the wisdom you put into print.

But, it puts a lot of things into perspective at least for those of us in the choir. I'm all in as well.

Well done.

kwg

Oddly, it appears that the people I directed this towards (the hard left) are NOT the ones who needed it. I have been effusively thanked by stay-at-home moms.

It appears they wanted a someone to stick up for them. Glad I could help.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
Truly liberated women have the guts to stay at home.
Posted By: Stevil Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
rlott you make little sense...but I guess thats not a great suprise
Posted By: smokepole Re: Good Editorial ! - 05/26/16
Adios

Damn, it worked!!!
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'll never pass judgement on someone who put their kids in daycare to provide a better life for themselves and their kids.

Me either.
Posted By: jdm953 Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
He is saying that your mask has fallen off.
rlott you make little sense...but I guess thats not a great suprise
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by BMT

Fixt.

BMT

Read it,....re-read it.

Thanks and BRAVO !

GTC

My pleasure.

My firewalls did NOT like the first link,....
God, these days, WTF knows.

Hope you will write DAILY, and prolifically. Just wish old Howell were around to see that "make every word count" is alive, and well.

GTC
Posted By: atvalaska Re: TRumo - 05/26/16
There are some real a/holes in the newspaper comet section,,,,,

Really, I thought it was a shot at you, pun intended.

Reading comprehension is real bitch for some.
Well written BMT. If it's ok with you I'd like to put it on Face Book.

Do you have a link to the article?
Link on page 1
Go ahead
Posted By: BMT Re: TRumo - 05/27/16
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by BMT

Fixt.

BMT

Read it,....re-read it.

Thanks and BRAVO !

GTC

My pleasure.

My firewalls did NOT like the first link,....
God, these days, WTF knows.

Hope you will write DAILY, and prolifically. Just wish old Howell were around to see that "make every word count" is alive, and well.

GTC

Thank you.
© 24hourcampfire