Home

The Great Manta weighed over 5,000 pounds and was caught in Brielle, NJ, 1933.

[Linked Image]
Zebco?
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Zebco?

202 and a crawler. smile

Wonder if he decoyed em with that little one he has stuck on his hand?
doubt that lol . i snagged one off the end of bobhall pier that was at least 14ft acroos it proceeded to strip about 200 bucks of line of my reel before i could even think about breaking it off.
That would have made Steve Irwin have 2d thoughts.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
That would have made Steve Irwin have 2d thoughts.
Not that a 5000 pound wild animal is not dangerous, but Manta Rays have no barb.
What does a 5000 lb Manta Ray eat?

Anything it wants to.
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
What does a 5000 lb Manta Ray eat?

Anything it wants to.
And it wants plankton. They're filter feeders.
Zebco?

4 pound test
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Zebco?

202 and a crawler. smile

and, on 6# test line!! smile smile
Saw one about that size while fishing off a bridge in Miami back in the '60s. Looked like a big black tarp swimming through the water.

Had one about 6 feet across swim by my Dad's Bertram 31 off Pensacola. Threw a lure at it hoping there was a cobia underneath, but no cigar.

Amazing what you can see out there.
Them things edible? If so I bet they were sick of eating it by the time they ran out.
My Google Fu is strong today. Real story but pic is a model of the real ray. Small photo of caught ray with story here-
http://www.deepseanews.com/2014/10/the-mysterious-case-of-the-missing-manta-bits/
I love humans.

It's big! It is incredible! Let's kill it and take a photo!"
Link says it was entangled in the fishing boat's anchor and anchor line, almost capsizing the boat and Coast Guard shot it multiple times.
One can only hope they had a refrigerator handy.
well maybe the photo is a hoax but manta rays have been documented with a wing span of 21 ft.
Link that I posted stated that the photo was of a "mount" of the ray and there is a photo of the actual ray hanging from a boat lift, size looks about the same. Not a hoax but there was a full size mount created for display. Thought it was an interesting explanation of how the ray in original photo looked so pristine.
Originally Posted by WillARights

Wonder if he decoyed em with that little one he has stuck on his hand?

Nope. Story says that is a baby born after the ray was brought ashore.
Now we know where the engineers got the idea for the Stealth bomber!!
© 24hourcampfire