Home
Posted By: OrangeOkie Ruining the National Anthem - 05/30/16
Leave it up to a darkie to ruin the singing of our National Anthem
Very informative post.
methinks everyone puts their own spin on it. some I like, some I don't. live with it.
Indy 500 fan, eh? Agreed.
It should be performed exactly as written. I've heard some wonderful renditions that are ruined with the addition of some warbling high notes late in the peace.
Singers need to sing along to this:

Posted By: Owl Re: Ruining the National Anthem - 05/30/16
2016 National Memorial Day Concert link

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365765896/
The music to our anthem was originally a British drinking song written for a men's social club. Can you imagine what a bunch of drunks could do with it?
I think I've seen that with some renditions.
No matter what the preformer's race is the National Anthem should be respected enough to be performed as written not with artistic interpretation.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

That started in MLB back in the late 70's or early 80's. I found the bastardization of the national anthem disgusting back then.

Could be worse: Obummer could arbitrarily declare "The Internationale" to be our new national anthem. Congressional Republicans wouldn't say one word if he did it.
[quote=OrangeOkie]Leave it up to a darkie to ruin the singing of our National Anthem [/quote

Not very appropriate when the worst ever was Roseanne Barr.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
No matter what the preformer's race is the National Anthem should be respected enough to be performed as written not with artistic interpretation.
I WILL say that Rucker did not go wild with the ever present black melismas. (Apparently, more notes makes it better) Rucker is just a bad singer. Very poor choice.
Never knew that fugly dyke was a singer, just thought she was an obnoxious biotch who liked to scratch her cooch in public. Perhaps the natives (crabs) were restless.
Never knew that fugly dyke was a singer, just thought she was an obnoxious biotch who liked to scratch her cooch in public. Perhaps the natives (crabs) were restless.
She's not a singer. Who the hell picks these people? Honestly, for a real singer, the National Anthem is not that difficult. Personally, I am sick of every dang song being blackified. White people like music too.
Posted By: RWE Re: Ruining the National Anthem - 05/31/16
Consider yourselves fortunate to still hear it.

Plans under foot to unseat the Star Spangled Banner because of its war imagery.

Too violent.

Need something with rainbows....
The most disgraceful rendition of all time has to have been Rosanne Barr with her crotch grabbing screeching. You can watch this if you like but I don't recommend it for anyone who's an American.

Posted By: Rye77 Re: Ruining the National Anthem - 05/31/16
I have to say, slightly off topic, that I am a bit taken back by the apparent racism that exist on this forum. Does it really matter what color the person singing is? Are white folk not just as guilty of fuggin' up the Anthem? I seem to recall a string of them that bobbled the words, forgot words, sung off key...

It's one of the hardest pieces of music in the world to get correct because it wasn't written correctly to begin with. It was a poem set to music, not lyrics written to notes. I am not giving them a pass on the personal liberties taken with it, but I will say the darkie comment is just plain sh*t.
Couple of things . First, it is not a hard song to sing, for a trained singer. Heck, Rossini or Shoenberg are hard to sing....I studied voice for 35 years, and sang professionally from 18 to 42. Second, the song has been bastardized by a lot of people, it's true. The current all consuming desire to change the style of all music to a black style is tiresome for people who do not like that style. The National Anthem as an official piece, was done as written until black singers felt the need to "improve" it. In my opinion, they did no such thing. They just made it a cartoon. The last couple of years, we have been getting hammered pretty heavily with Afro Centrism. Tired of that, too. Plenty of songs are poems set to music. It is often the lyrics that inspire the choice of music, whether lifted from another song, or original. Cant say it makes for a song that is any more difficult to perform.
Here is the rendition under discussion from the official NBA website:

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/playoffs/2015/06/16/0041400406-gsw-cle-play1.nba/
Marian Anderson could sing. If anyone remembers her.

Originally Posted by Rye77
I have to say, slightly off topic, that I am a bit taken back by the apparent racism that exist on this forum. Does it really matter what color the person singing is? Are white folk not just as guilty of fuggin' up the Anthem? I seem to recall a string of them that bobbled the words, forgot words, sung off key...

It's one of the hardest pieces of music in the world to get correct because it wasn't written correctly to begin with. It was a poem set to music, not lyrics written to notes. I am not giving them a pass on the personal liberties taken with it, but I will say the darkie comment is just plain sh*t.
It's true that a few here are very racist. However, there are many others who aren't so much total racists but are fighting back against the deep racism coming from the white house, news media, and Black Lives Matter. I've had the acquaintance of some very good black folks over the years but I highly resent what's now being crammed down our throats by the liberals and black racists.
I have to say, slightly off topic, that I am a bit taken back by the apparent racism that exist on this forum.

As a person that tries not to be racist, they have been making it very hard the last several years, not to be. Our current President and several in the House and Senate have helped Him in this effort. I do think it is not appropriate for this site, but I just try to look past it and look at the good things. miles
Posted By: Tracks Re: Ruining the National Anthem - 05/31/16
I make a raciest joke from time to time, and I'll admit that sometimes raciest feelings come out, but I'd like to think my jokes aren't vicious.
Of course there are people who are always looking for something to be offended by so they can pump up their crusade.
I dont' recall saying I enjoy the modern renditions.

but for what it's worth, I decided to reinforce my comments about the level of difficulty. Below is an excerpt from this page.
http://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/2014/05/why-is-the-national-anthem-so-hard-to-sing.html

Turns out, there is an answer to that question and we have just the experts here on staff who can help us out. I interviewed Kenneth Slowik, the Director of the Smithsonian Chamber Music Society.

"It has a lot to do with the range," he said. "It's a very wide range. Basically, the notes are very high." Okay, fair enough, but how high are we talking?

"High f—it's traditionally sung in Bb major because going higher than that makes it hard for the altos and basses singing to get to the high note, and going lower makes it hard for the tenors and sopranos to manage," he said.

Educator Dan Holm, a tenor who frequently sings the Star-Spangled Banner for, and much better than, me during the Flag Folding Ceremony, agrees, "I'm always practicing the first part of the song to make sure I'm low enough, but still starting in a comfortable place so I can hit both the high and very lowest note. If I don't, I just switch the octave I'm singing in."

Folk musician Pete Seeger might agree. In this video from Smithsonian Folkways, he invites the audience to join in and assures him he's using a "a very, very low key, so everybody can sing it," which they do.

Even trained choirs and singers have trouble with the song, and some flat out refuse to sing it because it is too difficult. So if people whose livelihood is singing can't do it, what are the untrained to do?

Kenneth offers sage words of wisdom: "Probably, it's best to be sung the way it was originally intended, that is to be sung as the Anacreontic Song, that is to say, a traditional British Gentleman's Club song—where you can really belt out the top."

Another important tip: get the lyrics right. If you think "O'er the ramparts" is a tough line, just be glad we typically don't sing beyond the first stanza, which contains challenging phrases such as "foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes" and "fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?"

and another:
http://associationsnow.com/2013/07/why-is-it-so-hard-to-sing-the-star-spangled-banner/

Part of the difficulty with “The Star Spangled Banner” is its wide-ranging melody that skips around a lot, Henderson said. “Most popular songs today are not written with that wide of a range.”

There’s also the bit at the end, the last stanza where singers have to hit a particularly high note on “free” in the last line: “O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.”

“In most people’s voice, in the traditional key it’s sung, that’s a difficult place even for professional singers to make sound good,” Henderson said.

Add to that the fact that most people often forget the lyrics—originally a poem written by Francis Scott Key in 1814 after the Battle of Baltimore during the War of 1812—and the song becomes a land mine of potential blunders.

NATS member Robert Edwin believes that a lot of people forget the lyrics because very few understand what is actually going on in the song.

“Only a very small number of people have come into my studio with any idea of the ‘who, what, where, when, why, and how’ of the song,” Edwin wrote in the association’s Journal of Singing. “In order to diminish the chances of public failure and subsequent embarrassment for your students when they perform our national anthem, a short history lesson should precede any singing.”
rock chuck,

I am in agreeance that the current administration has done more to create a racial divide than anyone in history. I will also admit that subcultures in this country are riddled with ignorance and small mindedness (of all colors). I can see where folks would become jaded, but lets not forget; you should not discriminate against those that were born as they were, but more so against someone who has chosen to be what they are.
And I stand by my comments as well. Any singer that cannot sing 1 and a half octaves, the range from low b flat to f, needs to find another teacher. Most people have about two octaves minimum. You DO have to find the proper key, like anything else. Pretty easy piece, really. Nessun Dorma, from Turandot, goes from low d to a high b natural. NOT an easy piece, especially since (unless sung as a concert aria, not in the opera) it must be done in the original key. Just my opinion as a lifelong professional singer with decades of study.
This one doesn't seem too easy either:

Not a singer in any way!, however our former babysitter is, won multiple national contests, has a masters degree in performing arts. She is scared to death to sing the National Anthem, as was her school mates, and signing it, or learning to, was a requirement for one of the core courses.

So why are they all nervous signing it? I've heard her sign it and she nails it every time, but:

1) Usually you are solo, no music, so pace is an issue
2) It's a wide range of notes
3) the people listening are all VERY aware of what it should sound like, so don't miss a single note.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Ruining the National Anthem - 05/31/16
Rucker has been singing it pretty much that way at various sporting events since at least 2010, and he still gets the gigs. You can find the video from this year's Indy 500 on Youtube. It sounds like he embellished it a little more this year, but it is still basically the same arrangement.

I don't care for it, but it apparently doesn't offend the people who pay him to perform.
Sounds like ANY performance, to me. Singing is hard stuff. When you perform live, people only remember the one goofy note, no matter how good the rest was. You get one chance. Makes ya kinda edgy....Everybody has their Waterloo. The people I sang with were not intimidated by the National Anthem, but everybody has something. The Anthem has taken on this mystical air of difficulty. I dunno why.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Ruining the National Anthem - 05/31/16
It's just a song. And I sincerely doubt the singer caused nearly the harm to the song that years of complacent neglect, destructive back-biting, and acquiescence has done to our culture and it's essential place in the world.

And here I was thinking Whitney in her day hit it clear out of the park....

Birdwatcher
Definitely not ruined, and considered a benchmark performance, but still too stylized for my taste.
Originally Posted by mathman
Singers need to sing along to this:

One more time. Play this and imagine a great singer following along, tempo, phrasing and all.
Couldn't agree more Rye77

While I don't like the racism perpetrated by our current potus or the thug lifestyle it's not as simple as color, it's a matter of choices and dignity

This is how it needs to be done. The yodeling and voice fluctuations are like tattooed people trying to signify their individuality. Save it for bar fights and beach parties, the National Anthem is more than just a song...

https://youtu.be/AcyCBdfgzWs
Deja vu singing (and ruining) the national anthem tonight on the NBA game (Cavs - Warriors)
Originally Posted by mathman
Definitely not ruined, and considered a benchmark performance, but still too stylized for my taste.

100% correct.
Originally Posted by RickyD
It's just a song.

Gotta disagree Ricky.

That song is as much 'America' as the flag.

The hair on the back of my neck stands up when I hear it done properly
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is how it needs to be done. The yodeling and voice fluctuations are like tattooed people trying to signify their individuality. Save it for bar fights and beach parties, the National Anthem is more than just a song...

https://youtu.be/AcyCBdfgzWs

Generally, I think kids do the song the best justice as they simply sing it as written.

At HS swim meets when we have a kid with an outstanding voice, singing a-capella, is the very best version.
Posted By: djs Re: Ruining the National Anthem - 06/02/16
The absolute worst rendition of the National Anthem was by Rossie O'Donnell. Shrill and an obvious slight.
I'm a fan of the traditional anthem especially when done in public or special event. I've heard it butchered enough over the years to make my head spin. Some just aren't top-notch singers and neither am I so I give them an A for effort. Rosie had to be the most disrespectful ever. That was just junk.

I want to hear the real anthem at events but this one made me smile a bit. (I'm a metal junkie)

https://youtu.be/c8C7i9kdEf8
Originally Posted by benchman
She's not a singer. Who the hell picks these people? Honestly, for a real singer, the National Anthem is not that difficult. Personally, I am sick of every dang song being blackified. White people like music too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

RoseanneBarr is jewish -so no need to wonder how she got picked .
"They" put her up there to do just what she did -DISRESPECT ANYTHING/EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THIS COUNTRY ...
A manly performance:

Cavs - Warriors' game last night . . .

[video:youtube]SZyGdX6cqWI[/video]
Too breathy and draggy.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by RickyD
It's just a song.

Gotta disagree Ricky.

That song is as much 'America' as the flag.

The hair on the back of my neck stands up when I hear it done properly

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Rickyd says a lot of things of late that I wouldn't have thought he would say . crazy
© 24hourcampfire