Home
Has it been leaked yet?

Presumably a head shot?
760 in 270 with basket weave stock, see-throughs and redfield tv screen scope.

130 corelokts of course
Who's the tranny that pulled the trigger?
A certain person on here who wears leopard thong underwear. whistle
Gorilla had it's hands up and said don't shoot.

#GorillaLivesMatter
110 9mm roundsI
Don't listen to these fellas, it was a tacti-cool 223 AI.😚
Gorrilla lives matter !
It's illegal to discharge firearms in the city there. They used archery tackle.

I agree with what they did, but that gorilla was an incredible animal.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

#GorillaLivesMatter

Too funny!!

#GorillaLivesMatter
According to its mother, it was a great guy who never got in trouble and had plans to study medicine if he ever finished reform school.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

#GorillaLivesMatter
According to its mother, it was a great guy who never got in trouble and had plans to study medicine if he ever finished reform school.

Black, unarmed, dead at 17.

#GorillaLivesMatter
mutha phookin hi-point dawg.
Originally Posted by whelennut
110 9mm roundsI

I didn't know he was shot by the NYPD.
Whenever I have to "take out" a Gorilla my preferred "rig" is a Western Star logging truck or a Heavy Kenworth oil patch "sow".

....speeds in the range of 60 mph seem to do the trick, all this higher velocity stuff is just hot air.

GTC
Originally Posted by rem141r

130 corelokts of course

They called in Ingwe?

Did he wear a leopard skin?

130 corelokts of course

This gets my vote for post of the day!!
Stupid children are not an endangered species. Silverbacks are.

The stupid a-holes who were screaming and yelling should have been taken out by a 22RF with a can. Then the kid could have been rescued.

There have been two previous incidents like this where calmer heads prevailed and no one died.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gorilla-carries-year-boy-safety-fell-enclosure-1996/story?id=39479586

https://www.thedodo.com/gorillas-rescuing-children-harambe-1834000221.html

Originally Posted by GunGeek

130 corelokts of course

This gets my vote for post of the day!!

It was posted yesterday.

#GorillaLivesMatter

Black Labs matter.
Another azzinine campfire thread. Who cares?????????
Originally Posted by gunswizard

I care. Never know when 'planet of the apes' might actually happen. I figure it's at least as probable as the zombie apocalypse.
Hope they didn't poke too many holes in the hide. Make some fine boots, gloves and wallets..
Yes. Interested in the details, and amazed they had the expertise and equipment on had to handle the event in short order.

Any one know what the duration of the event was from beginning to end?
Since it was East of the Mississippi I'd bet it was a standard round but if he'd have been "out west" then it would be a magnum
.308?
I got a little bit of a behind the scenes tour at Marine World in Vallejo CA about 20 years ago. There was an announcers booth toward the rear of the stands where the lion/tiger show was performed. There was a gun locker in there, and for every show a rifleman hand to open the locker, load the rifle, and be on standby. The rifle was a BRNO .375 H&H, I don't remember the model number but it was the one with the integral flip up peep sight.

I have no clue if they continue that practice. But suffice to say, I wouldn't be surprised if a Zoo had a true fighting rifle on the grounds.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I got a little bit of a behind the scenes tour at Marine World in Vallejo CA about 20 years ago. There was an announcers booth toward the rear of the stands where the lion/tiger show was performed. There was a gun locker in there, and for every show a rifleman hand to open the locker, load the rifle, and be on standby. The rifle was a BRNO .375 H&H, I don't remember the model number but it was the one with the integral flip up peep sight.

I have no clue if they continue that practice. But suffice to say, I wouldn't be surprised if a Zoo had a true fighting rifle on the grounds.

Very likely...
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. Interested in the details, and amazed they had the expertise and equipment on had to handle the event in short order.

Any one know what the duration of the event was from beginning to end?

I read it was approximately 10 minutes.

Dave
I heard he missed twice, so I'm assuming a 270 Kimber Montana.

#silverbacklivesmatter

I know who I'm dressing up as this Halloween.
[Linked Image]
A bit off subject but a good friend of mine and archaeologist was doing museum conservation work at the American Museum of Natural History. His boss came up to him one day and said "Hey Alan, you know something about guns, don't you????"

Well naturally Bud told him a little (har, har). Boss brought out 3 or 4 rifles, can't remember the number now, and said "these are some of the rifles they used to collect specimens with back in the day, would you clean em up???" They were all G&H Springfields in .30 Govt. 1906.

Originally Posted by gunswizard

Obviously you do because you clicked on the fugking thing.

Suck on THAT "wizard."

Dave
back in the day when I worked at a couple zoos in MI I did see the rifles a time or two but was never involved in the drills and don't remember the caliber(s). Open-sighted long action bolts though.

other throw-away musings...

-- one of the zoos had to quickly re-design their lion exhibit after a kid hopped a 5 foot barrier fence and walked up to the main pen by the employee access doors. He's turned around faced out and a lioness took advantage of the distration, reached out hooked his jacket collar with a claw. They grabbed him away in a minor tug of war. (I heard about it the next day).

-- I've darted several animals (a tiger, 4-5 wolves, a lynx, and a leopard) and it takes a good 20 minutes of pissyness before they're out enough to approach --- except the lynx. The guy manning the gun hit it in the femur and that intra-medullary injection dropped it right out of the tree like a stone. (we had to use a drill chuck to get the dart out)

the zoo vet there had a tackle box full of mangled steel darts angry animals had shredded while going night-night.
there really was no choice but to shoot the gorilla
There was a witness who was telling about the "barriers"

The three barriers consisted of bushes, a 10 or 15 foot drop down a wall to the enclosure floor and the moat. No fence or guard rail at all
all in keeping with the feel-good "open air enclosures" they're going to now. Don't want to have any fences obscuring the view*

*this design is predicated on the public not being stupid enough to drop the 15' from the wall to the moat but, well, you know how some people's kids are....

wink
The witness also said that the woman turned away for a few seconds was astonished how quickly the kid was out and over the wall before anyone really grasped what was going on
I hope the tacticool team that took the big ape out were wearing GoPros. Anxiously awaiting the leaked video.
The last I read, they said, "..it was a few seconds, but could have been a minute." The child had been telling her, "I want to swim with the gorillas." She kept telling him no. Can't imagine why she didn't move him along from the area. Or at least watch him more closely, knowing he wanted to touch the hot stove so to speak...
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

#GorillaLivesMatter

Black, unarmed, dead at 17.

#GorillaLivesMatter

I'm in for a tee shirt!!!

Originally Posted by 1Nut

#GorillaLivesMatter

Black Labs matter.

I'm in for a tee shirt for this one too!!!
I know at one time the NC Zoo in Asheboro had Model 70 Winchesters in .375 H & H on hand (some scoped, some open sighted) and practiced with them at least semi-regularly.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Whenever I have to "take out" a Gorilla my preferred "rig" is a Western Star logging truck or a Heavy Kenworth oil patch "sow".

....speeds in the range of 60 mph seem to do the trick, all this higher velocity stuff is just hot air.

GTC

Busy here this time of year, and I left this hanging,....maybe giving the impression that the idea is to SQUASH Gorillas, with heavy trucks.
eek eek eek

The way this actually works is that one hangs a nice 30 ton Crosby snatch block of of his headache rack's little jib crane,....and basically does a "Drive by head shot",.....

No muss, fuss, or bother,....paint scratched, blood, guts or brains on your "rig".

As noted,...anywhere's from 55 to 65 MPH will let the block swing out tangentally in an arc, handsomely, and effectively, "Bonking" the offending Simian.

We put over ripe watermelons on posts, by way of practice targets....
Good practice drill, for the REAL thing. whistle

Just be careful that none of these, "10 ton blocks at 80 MPH" types delude you,....slow and heavier WORKS.

GTC
Originally Posted by Joseywales
The last I read, they said, "..it was a few seconds, but could have been a minute." The child had been telling her, "I want to swim with the gorillas." She kept telling him no. Can't imagine why she didn't move him along from the area. Or at least watch him more closely, knowing he wanted to touch the hot stove so to speak...

Are you a parent?

Dave
Times have changed since the early to mid 60's when I worked at our zoo. I was in highschool and stayed for my first summer after HS.

The Portland Zoo's rifle for putting down creatures in need of such was a .30-40 Krag. A carbine with receiver sights. This may not be fancy enough for today. It leaned in the corner of the foreman's office.

The Zoo's foreman over the animal keepers was a guy named Bill Scott. One of the finest to ever walk the earth.

The two occasions I remember most was a polar bear and a bull elk.

In the case of the polar bear a gardener had slipped and fallen into the cage while maintaining a flower bed. A bear was dragging him around by the head.

As to the elk, it was in rut and tried to spear several people through a chain link fence, myself included.

The Krag put both animals down handily.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC

Yeah, a 42 million grain projectile at about 88 fps usually does the trick!
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Joseywales

Are you a parent?

Dave

Saw some video of the "barriers" today; they weren't impressive at all. Looked like there was a 3' tube bar/rail that the kid could have just walked right under, then a hedge that was just under 3'. Now I've read there was a 3rd barrier, perhaps another 3' fence past the hedge, but if there was, you couldn't see it over the hedge.

If the kid went under the 3'bar, crawled on top of the hedge, which wouldn't be tough for a 4yo since he's light enough to get up and stay on top of the hedge, and then jump; he would be through the "barriers" in seconds.

The story that the kid was out of sight for a few seconds would appear to hold up after seeing that view of the barriers. What's more, if the kid went under the bar and into the hedge rather than climbed on top of the hedge, he would be lost in the hedge, the only time anyone would have seen him is when he went over the 3rd barrier which (if it really is there at all), is only 3' tall, with lots of things for the kid to climb on to scale...

Given what I saw, I'd say the mom's story is very plausible.
© 24hourcampfire