Home
Probably been asked before but it IS Friday night...

Thought of asking for favorite live albums but expanded it to DVD performances or even a live show you've been to.

Some of my fave live albums:

Nine Tonight
Live Bullet -- Bob Seger and the boys

Live in Arnhem--Tina Turner (was a 60-something GRANNY! at the time)

SRV--about all of his shows on DVD. The growth from a little shy to guitar god is amazing and, with the exception of MAYBE Hendrix, I've never seen anyone more at one with his instrument.

Van Morrison's Montreux performance (1980, IIRC)--ol Van might be the one guy who could give Axl a run for his money on mercurial performances but he kicked ass with a great band on this one.

Hendrix--Band of Gypsys album. Killer tone and Jimi at his roots!

Clapton--Unplugged. Pure, true acoustic set. Lord, my buddy and I have played all those songs untold times out live...

Clapton--One More Rider (more on this one later)

Eagles Hell Freezes Over--missing Felder but still kicked ass. Possibly Eagles at their best.

Allman Bros At Fillmore East--dude, come on...it's the Allman Bros!

Queen Live Killers--Freddie and the guys. Certainly one of the most gifted bands--musically.

Springsteen--Live in Dublin--lot of good stuff on this album

I haven't been to a lot of concerts but two of my faves were both at Sun Valley. One with Keb' Mo solo and another with him and Bonnie Raitt. First one I was sitting on the grass about 20' from the stage. For you guitar guys, the second concert he had the best ES-335 Tone I have heard ANYWHERE on any album or live. Tried to see what amp he was using but couldn't make it out.

The one I didn't go to that I'll probably regret till I die is Clapton's One More Car, One More Rider tour. It was in Boise on a weeknight and I should've just tried to get off work and go--the album is awesome!

Been to many,many shows,seen that Clapton tour in Buffalo.
Too many favorites,but probably the overall best was Clapton's guitar festival in 13 @MSG. Went both nights,so many high level players,derek trucks,keb mo,gary clark jr.vince gill,just to name a few.Some of the groups played and many great jams,here's one of my favs

The live show that immediately came to mind, Al Di Miola at the Rainbow Music Hall, Denver '77 Elegant Gypsy album.

I once saw Allison Krauss and Union Station backed by the Nashville Symphony perform in the Ryman Auditorium.

I've seen a lot of shows, but for musical excellence, none could touch this one. Everyone on stage was a top tier musician.
Beatles and the Rolling Stones in Jacksonville. Both were great concerts. I don't go to a lot of them though.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I once saw Allison Krauss and Union Station backed by the Nashville Symphony perform in the Ryman Auditorium.

I've seen a lot of shows, but for musical excellence, none could touch this one. Everyone on stage was a top tier musician.

Bet that was a fantastic show! I've seen her twice, once with Union Station and the other with Robert Plant. Plant is one of the great vocalists of the ages, but that night on several songs he sang back-up for her. She is an amazing talent.

Another one I remember is Lyle Lovett. I barely knew who he was when I went to that show, but it was amazing. They call the show Lyle Lovett and His Large Band for a reason. There were times when there were 15-20 people on stage.

Hillary Hahn performed live in Anchorage a few years back. I was left with the impression I'll probably not see a better live performance in my life time.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Beatles and the Rolling Stones in Jacksonville. Both were great concerts.

Dang Sam, way to go...! Those bands are a far cry from Slim Whitman.
Best show I've ever seen was Chris Ledoux. Second was Jason Isbell.
Roy Clark, small outdoor venue.
Joe Walsh, small indoor venue.
Chris Isaack, medium venue.
Grateful Dead large outdoor concert.
Some in the 70's not so sure, as I was having far to much fun to really care.
Clapton was excellent.
How to choose just one, of so many, so far apart?

Charlie Byrd
Tito Puente
Arturo Sandoval
Mongo Santamaria
Count Basie (led by Jack Foster)
Dave Frishberg
Scatman Caruthers
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Probably been asked before but it IS Friday night...

Thought of asking for favorite live albums but expanded it to DVD performances or even a live show you've been to.

Some of my fave live albums:

Nine Tonight
Live Bullet -- Bob Seger and the boys

Live in Arnhem--Tina Turner (was a 60-something GRANNY! at the time)

SRV--about all of his shows on DVD. The growth from a little shy to guitar god is amazing and, with the exception of MAYBE Hendrix, I've never seen anyone more at one with his instrument.

Van Morrison's Montreux performance (1980, IIRC)--ol Van might be the one guy who could give Axl a run for his money on mercurial performances but he kicked ass with a great band on this one.

Hendrix--Band of Gypsys album. Killer tone and Jimi at his roots!

Clapton--Unplugged. Pure, true acoustic set. Lord, my buddy and I have played all those songs untold times out live...

Clapton--One More Rider (more on this one later)

Eagles Hell Freezes Over--missing Felder but still kicked ass. Possibly Eagles at their best.

Allman Bros At Fillmore East--dude, come on...it's the Allman Bros!

Queen Live Killers--Freddie and the guys. Certainly one of the most gifted bands--musically.

Springsteen--Live in Dublin--lot of good stuff on this album

I haven't been to a lot of concerts but two of my faves were both at Sun Valley. One with Keb' Mo solo and another with him and Bonnie Raitt. First one I was sitting on the grass about 20' from the stage. For you guitar guys, the second concert he had the best ES-335 Tone I have heard ANYWHERE on any album or live. Tried to see what amp he was using but couldn't make it out.

The one I didn't go to that I'll probably regret till I die is Clapton's One More Car, One More Rider tour. It was in Boise on a weeknight and I should've just tried to get off work and go--the album is awesome!

Best live shows I've seen were a few of the many Dead shows I went to, Sonic Youth in the early 90's, SRV, Zappa..... trying to think of my favorite live recordings and kinda blanking at the moment.
Pantera and white zombie at the San Jose event center. Nothing like being up close and personal at a show like that
Originally Posted by antlers

true, but then I knew Slim personally. He lived in Middleburg FL, and I used to eat lunch with him.
Originally Posted by antlers

Sam and Ingwe used to hunt T-rex with flint knives back in their youth. wink
Dan Fogelberg and Gordon Lightfoot.
The Greatest show I have ever seen live?

Bob Hope gave a USO show on my base when I was a young Marine.
He and his lovely wife entertained us for almost 2 hours.
It was cool then.
Its historic now as he passed shortly after.
Flogging Molly. Everyone of their live shows I've been to has been great.

Always had a good time at The Reverend Horton Heat shows.

Social Distortion used to put on a good show.

Grateful Dead just for the spectacle.

Body Count was a lot of fun when I saw them back in the early 90's

Easily the best concert Ive been to was Crystal Gayle.
Don Williams and Merle Haggard together
Third Day
I wish I could have seen Neil in his younger days:

Live albums, KISS Alive, KISS Alive2,

Live show, Metallica and Ozzy on the master of puppets/ultimate sin tours.

Sepultura, Alice in Chains and Ozzy

Volbeat last year was great saw them with 5 finger death punch who completely sucked

Robin Mark, a northern Irish contemporary Christian singer song writer was great.

Dave Matthew's back in the 90s

Megadeath on the rust in peace tour, AMAZING LIVE

I saw Pantera on the Vulgar display of power tour it was great. RIP Darrel

Saw GnR twice one was great the other time was horrable, drunken idiots you know...

Overkill at the Eagle Auditorium in Millwakee they killed it!

Biohazard, really good live although that's not really my usual cup of tea.

Stuck Mojo in Atlanta.

Sevendust

Saw Slayer in Millwakee they were entertaining, even though Kerry kings lead work SUCKS.

I went to so many shows in the 90s I can't ever remember them all.

Aaron Lewis...every time.
Best Live Concert and album by the way
Lynyrd Skynyrd One More For/From the Road
Dec 23d 1976 with the CDB! Tickets were $6.50!

ETA: Civic Arena Pittsburgh, PA
2d Favorite

Joan Jett

1980ish Holland House Clarksville, TN
I luv rock and roll was charting

1986 or 1987 Flaming Mug Fayetteville, NC
Up close and personal, no stage just on the floor; also had back stage pass

Joan is the best, she has always played small venues near Army bases for the troops!
Merle Haggard
Seen: (national acts people would recognize)

Garth Brooks
Chris LeDoux
Brooks and Dunn
Joe Diffie
Frank Turner
The Architects
Flogging Molly

Best - Flogging Molly, hands down and 2nd is a LONG ways back.

Worst - Garth Brooks. I'm talking 1997, basically his hey day and I never understood the panty wetting calling him a great showman. It was boring and cliche. Stale. I'd not see him again for free.

JD McPhearson is coming to Green Bay next month - I'll go see him next.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

I've always liked Krauss with the Union Station. I got a friend that played the bass for Union Station in Krauss's earlier years. His name is John Pennell, He wrote several songs She covered including the title track to her album "Every time You Say Goodbye".

John also co-wrote the song Alan Jackson recorded titled "Meat and Potato Man."
Lots of talented folks out there that don't normally stand in the spot light for sure....
Garry Allan, hands down. I saw him at a fairly small venue of about 1K people. The guy sounded fantastic and absolutely sang his heart out for the entire show.

Not a live video, but one of my favorites:

© 24hourcampfire