Home
Riggle gave Leno a ride in this 2,500hp Barracuda at Irwindale Speedway to knock a check off of Leno’s bucket list. Unfortunately, they were at the circle track instead of the drag strip. After doing a killer wheelstand for Jay, he couldn’t get it stopped in time before the bank. He turned to avoid going towards the wall and the car simply couldn’t handle it. The car tipped and rolled a few times. Thankfully, both of these American icons are safe, but the legendary Hemi Under Glass is not looking so good. Check out the video below to watch the carnage unfold.

“This is only the second crash I’ve had in the 50 years of running this car.” – Bob Riggle

What video?
What a wreck.

I went to the Mopar Nationals in Vegas probably 15 years ago, and Bob was billing it as Hemi under Glass' last showing.

The oddities I noticed were the rear axle is reversed, so the pinion faces the rear. A gear box attaches to the pinion due to the engine being partly above the axle. The floorpan is a plastic sheet so when he is doing a pass he can see in front of the car.

When he got to the line to do a 1/4 mile pass he did a little show, probably to test the car. Crowd pleasing lift and maybe a 100 yard burnout. I believe the whole place was watching this "last pass" of HUG. Then, in what seemed like slow motion, he stood the car on the wheelie bars, it looked like he lifted the throttle, then he mashed the go pedal and the dang thing wheelied the whole 1/4 mile. What amazed me the most was that he had done the pass in under 11 seconds, I believe.

Luckily before the pass when I was looking over the car, I saw Bob was selling and autographing Mattel HUG toys, and I bought one.

Cool car and driver

Back up to our arriving at Las vegas motor speedway:

Dad went with me to the track and when we approached the drag strip he heard lots of popping sounds of the Vipers that were running the track, and dad asked why they had such poor tuning. They were still running the vipers when we got to the wall next to the track, and I explained that the popping was the drivers hitting the Rev limiters and not shifting fast enough to reduce the time the engine was running with not all cylinders firing. He used to drag race street cars back in the late 50's, so he had no idea what a rev limiter was.

Allen
shows fine for me.
Cool! That's one for the books. Glad they got it on film.
Now THAT is an "E" ticket ride if ever I saw one!!!!
Damn, what a ride!

Little weldin', a little bondo she'll look like new.
Northern Dave will have that fixed by this afternoon.
"2,500 horsepower on two wheels. What could go wrong?"
Cool -not the wreck part .
Wow! Both are lucky to walk away. Leno ain't no spring chicken either.
Oh no! Hemi Under Glass wrecked! With Leno in it no less.....

TFF.......

Casey
That'll buff out.
I suspect the size of Leno's jaw helped lessen the force of the impact.
I watch jay lenos garage on youtube quite often, mostly motorcycle stuff, way better than the late show.
Jay had the presence of mind to keep his right arm inside the window, otherwise it would have been bad.

Glad they are both okay, but I'm thinking Bob oughta consider golf over 2500 hp cars...
Originally Posted by add

Beat me to it!
laugh

I was gonna say "hope he didn't break his JAW!"

Has there ever been a more punchable chin?
grin

Just imagine Gunner500's upper cut.

I'd pay to see that!!!

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

LOL
well now we know why there are stickers on the bottom of the car...
Damn shame, a guy in my area was dealing on that car not long ago I believe, sale fell apart.

What would be more fun for two Old timers then wrecking a 2500 hp drag racing legend!!!!!!!!

Seriously at their age you probably should try harder to keep the shiny side up!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Originally Posted by add

Beat me to it!
laugh

grin

Only a fool aims at a chin bone that Sturdy, would be like punching someone in the top of the head!
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

LMAO
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Originally Posted by add

Beat me to it!
laugh

grin

Only a fool aims at a chin bone that Sturdy, would be like punching someone in the top of the head!

True

But a huge target for a hook!
Jay Leno is a douchebag.

That car is bitchen - too bad it was wrecked.
Jay kept a good sense of humor.
Funny as hell.

The old guy wasn't so cocky after.
Originally Posted by hemiallen
The oddities I noticed were the rear axle is reversed, so the pinion faces the rear. A gear box attaches to the pinion due to the engine being partly above the axle.

Allen

Gearbox out of Vdrive drag boat.
Originally Posted by wyoming260

Brow bone is a different story.

It's the angle of attack that counts.

I'm tellin' ya, Gunner500 knows how to take good care of chins.... and lisps...

grin
As was said earlier Jay kept his arm inside. Could have come out bad.
Besides that, you can always slap 'em up ready for a whirl kick.

That chin ain't gonna hurt a good pair of boots none.

As was said earlier Jay kept his arm inside. Could have come out bad.
That Cuda is a mess...What a car! My oldest sister had a boyfriend who came out to the farm to picker up when I wes in Jr. High and it was a Cudddda!
this thread is about men stuff walt, scurry along now.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by hemiallen
The oddities I noticed were the rear axle is reversed, so the pinion faces the rear. A gear box attaches to the pinion due to the engine being partly above the axle.

Allen

Gearbox out of Vdrive drag boat.

Good point

I had a 1960 Sanger V drive with a Mondello built 392 hemi with about the same casting V drive gear box now that you mention it.

Sold it and some other toys to buy my 70-440 Cuda.
I'm partial to the first HUG -
old enough to have the wrap-around rear glass.
CLASSIC !!!
I'll bet that wasn't on his bucket list!
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
That Cuda is a mess...What a car! My oldest sister had a boyfriend who came out to the farm to picker up when I wes in Jr. High and it was a Cudddda!

You bumped your head again, didn't ya.

I remember all of those old wheelie machines from back then. The Little Red Wagon, The Paddy Wagon, The Back Up Pick Up, Hurst Hemi Under Glass,..

If you want to recall those old days and how casual everybody was about everything, check out this video and watch Bob Riggle take a ride in the bed of the Back Up Pick Up. No seat, no harness, no belt,..no nothing. Just an old open face motorcycle helmet on and he jumps in the bed of the turned around wheelie machine and goes for a ride.

There's no way anybody would be allowed to do something like that today.

Originally Posted by stxhunter
this thread is about OLD men stuff walt, scurry along now.

Feel better now?
Awesome crash! I'll give them credit though - neither one of them pissed themselves! grin
Leno looks like a cabbage patch doll in that helmet
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Awesome crash! I'll give them credit though - neither one of them pissed themselves! grin

Leno came out remarkably composed and his nearly first inclination seems to have been checking to Riggle's well being.
Neat!! I wonder if Leno needs to repeat the test to fulfill his newly expanded bucket list?
FWIW, the car rolled 1 time.
The "editing" makes it look like multiple rolls.
© 24hourcampfire