Home
Posted By: 66niteowl Rebels or Yanks - 06/29/16
I know we have a few members here that call the "Show me state" home. Would they be classified as yanks or rebels these days ?
Posted By: Scott F Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/29/16
Yes.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/29/16
Originally Posted by Scott F
Yes.
I like that answer!
Posted By: Scott F Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/29/16
I grew lived in MO from 5the grade until I graduated and left for the Navy in '68. It all depended on what part of the state you were from. True southerners would anyone from that far north a #&!!(@ yankee a$$ hole.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/29/16
I lived in Southwest Misery for awhile and it was weird. You would have normal people and then you would have Yankees living side-by-side and they had always lived there and their families had always lived there, yet some were normal and others were Yankees.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/29/16
According to Justin Wilson, anybody that lived North of the Red River was a Yankee. I surely hope that He was speaking of the Little Red River in Arkansas and not the Red River of Texas, which I suspect that He was. miles
Posted By: ldholton Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/29/16
Varies a lot city to city county to county around here
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/29/16
Originally Posted by milespatton
According to Justin Wilson, anybody that lived North of the Red River was a Yankee. I surely hope that He was speaking of the Little Red River in Arkansas and not the Red River of Texas, which I suspect that He was. miles

Justin also said anyone who lived north of Bunkie,La was a damned Yankee. Bunkie is almost dead center in the state.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/29/16
The Red River, along the North Dakota/Minnesota border flows North - right into Canada!
Posted By: billy336 Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/29/16
Yanks, all of em
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/29/16
Midwesterner's
Posted By: Muffin Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/29/16
I think that no matter how I answer I will be labled a RAAaaacist!
Posted By: ldholton Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/30/16
Originally Posted by billy336
Yanks, all of em
Explain ?
Posted By: milespatton Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/30/16
Justin also had one bit where He was going duck hunting with a friend that lived way up North, up around Shreveport. miles
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/30/16
Originally Posted by 66niteowl
I know we have a few members here that call the "Show me state" home. Would they be classified as yanks or rebels these days ?
Are you looking to pick a fight or do you want the history? The best reading is that Missouri was about evenly divided at the outset of the War Between the States. Lincoln and the other Black Republicans made some moves that were heavy-handed, such as calling for troops from the slave state, of which most people were of southern descent, to quell the "rebellion". Missouri had many economic ties to the north and as such, initially had voted against secession, although their Governor, Claiborne Fox Jackson, was strongly secesh. Lincoln's man in Missouri was abolitionist General Nathaniel Lyon who, instead of negotiating with Jackson and General of the state militia, former Governor Sterling Price, ran them out of St. Louis and then lead the Federal Army into Jefferson City. Most of the legislature fled and the Union installed an illegal puppet government. The Missouri legislature then re-convened in Neosho and voted for secession. They are the twelfth star on the Confederate Battle Flag. The Union didn't recognize this as legal since they didn't have a quorum. The Missouri state capitol was moved to Marshall, Texas, where it stayed for the remainder of the war.

As for sentiments, all of this worked against the Union and a return to the Bleeding Kansas days resulted, with Union militias of Jayhawkers and Redlegs preying upon defenseless Missouri civilians after Price's army was order across the Mississippi in 1862. This gave rise to Confederate Partisan bands such as Colonel William Clark Quantrill's who were acting in self defense and defending the home folks. Unfortunately, like most guerrilla bands, despite some great successes, they did not have the ability to hold ground and thus the Yankees held all the big population centers whilst the guerrillas ruled the countryside.

Eventually the Union subdued the east enough that it could turn its attentions to Missouri and the guerrillas were defeated. Most eventually went home or moved away and lead productive and respectable lives, some under aliases to prevent retaliation from the Yankees.

One of the Generals during the war, charged with subjugating Missouri for Lincoln, had remarked that due to the actions of renegade Union forces under notables such as Charles Jennison and Senator James Lane, Missouri, initially a "Conditional Union" state, had turned "more secesh than Northern Virginia,". So it is safe to say that Missouri was more southern than northern. This mirrors the fate of the Kansas Territory before the war.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/30/16
Originally Posted by milespatton
Justin also had one bit where He was going duck hunting with a friend that lived way up North, up around Shreveport. miles

grin
Posted By: billy336 Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/30/16
Originally Posted by ldholton
Yanks, all of em
Explain ?

Geography. Too close to Canada. Virginians don't think they're Yanks either.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/30/16
Missouri was a blood bath for both sides. Pick your hero, he will be the other fellows villain.
I'd say it was neither yankee or rebel territory.
Posted By: Mittenman Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/30/16
Jessie James was from MO so to me a rebal state. I think of East coast suburbanites when I think yank.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/30/16
Yanks, all of em
Explain ?

LMAO you need help with you geography. and your an idiot
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/30/16
Yanks, all of em
Explain ?

Interesting........
A good percentage of friends and other Southerners disown Floridians. All perspective I guess !

George.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/30/16
Originally Posted by NH K9
Yanks, all of em
Explain ?

Interesting........
A good percentage of friends and other Southerners disown Floridians. All perspective I guess !

George.

Only because of the invention of air conditioning. Yankees have ruined south Florida.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Rebels or Yanks - 06/30/16
Everyone east of the Rockies and west of the Sierras/Cascades is a Yankee.....(CO too:)
© 24hourcampfire