Home
Posted By: shrapnel Fried Chicken - 07/11/16

*Yup, some people can’t handle the truth!*

*My teacher asked what my favorite animal was, and I said, "Fried chicken."*

*She said I wasn't funny, but she couldn't have been right, because everyone else laughed.*

*My parents told me to always tell the truth. I did. Fried chicken is my favorite animal.*

*I told my dad what happened, and he said my teacher was probably a member of PETA.*

*He said they love animals very much.*

*I do, too. Especially chicken, pork and beef. Anyway, my teacher sent me to the principal's office.*

*I told him what happened, and he laughed, too. Then he told me not to do it again.*

*The next day in class my teacher asked me what my favorite**_live_* *animal was.*

*I told her it was chicken. She asked me why, so I told her it was because you could make them into fried chicken.*

*She sent me back to the principal's office. He laughed, and told me not to do it again.*

*I don't understand. My parents taught me to be honest, but my teacher doesn't like it when I am.*

*Today, my teacher asked me to tell her what famous person I admired most.**I told her, "Colonel Sanders."*

*Guess where I am now...*

Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Fried Chicken - 07/11/16
I like fried chicken too. grin
Posted By: chris112 Re: Fried Chicken - 07/11/16
Kid just can't win.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Fried Chicken - 07/12/16
smile smile
Posted By: Snake River Marksman Re: Fried Chicken - 07/12/16
Who's got a killer recipe for fried chicken?
I'm looking for a very crunchy coating with lots of flavor.
I emailed KFC because it's close to what I'm after but so far (2 years waiting now) they haven't answered.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Fried Chicken - 07/12/16
Don't eat fried chicken, too greasy; but baked or grilled w/no skin or in a casserole is ok. Been known to drive 40 miles each way for chicken fried rice.
Posted By: mathman Re: Fried Chicken - 07/12/16
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Don't eat fried chicken, too greasy; but baked or grilled w/no skin or in a casserole is ok. Been known to drive 40 miles each way for chicken fried rice.

In the left lane?
Posted By: RickyD Re: Fried Chicken - 07/12/16
A quick google shows chicken fried rice to have 12 grams of fat while fried chicken has 16. You saved 4 grams of fat for a 80 mile drive. No judgement. Personal choice.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Fried Chicken - 07/12/16
Probably should have just lied and answered "fried teacher" the first time. Now, that MIGHT be worth a trip to the office
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Fried Chicken - 07/12/16
That's a good one Shrap. My "hen", I mean wife, chuckled at it too laugh
Posted By: dassa Re: Fried Chicken - 07/12/16
Originally Posted by mathman

In the left lane?

Took him two hours each way.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
i eat fried chicken because it has more fat and flavor.none of that chik-no-flavor-fillet crap for me.i'll take KFC.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
Originally Posted by chris112
Kid just can't win.

In todays society, honesty just can't win....
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
Love some fried chicken. Would love to step back in time and have grandma's again.

I think southeast Kansas must be some kind of fried chicken destination. Can think of 8 off the top of my head, 5 are within 10 miles of each other, all within 30 miles of the middle one, 2 are on adjoining property. A Friday/Saturday night it is hard to find a parking spot in the first two's lots. Most of these go back to Depression era, started as widow wife serving fried chicken to the men going to the coal mines in the area.

Chicken Annies
Chicken Maries
Gephardt's
Chicken Maries Annex
Chicken Maries Girard
Barto's Idle Hour
The Chicken Shak
Kick's Chicken (Missouri side)
Posted By: edk Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
if ya can't even eat fried chicken you are pretty much dead anyway. Life is for living and enjoying it. Nothing in moderation is gonna kill ya. Eat and enjoy. ED K
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
Originally Posted by dassa

In the left lane?

Took him two hours each way.

All the while bitching up a storm because everyone was ridding his a$$
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
Among fast-food brands, I like Popeyes mild best. Some grocery stores turn out good chicken too, others not so much.

My current method for home-fried is to salt and pepper the pieces and then dredge them very well in flour, a little seasoning there won't hurt either- or just use a prepared mix. Then I place the pieces in a pan that is well-oiled to the point it pools up a bit. Bake at 325-350. When the chicken starts to brown and before it sticks too badly, turn it with tongs, being careful not to disturb the flour mix too much. By this time the chicken fat will have added grease to the pan. Slop the pieces around in the grease so all the flour gets wet with it. The color of the coating will tell you when it needs turning while it finishes cooking. Essentially the chicken fries in a mixture of oil and chicken fat, giving it a great flavor. Get it brown, but don't overcook. Whole wings cooked this way are the best.

Chesapeake Landing, between St. Michaels, MD, and Tilghman Island, serves a platter that features half a fried chicken and two of their awsome crab cakes. Too much chicken for me, but pretty dang good.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
Cheesy, I recall an episode of "Food Wars" where Annies and Maries were pitted against each other. Much spirited support on both sides and I can't remember who the judges decided was better.

But let me park there for a month and I'd have an opinion...

I ration myself to once a month or so with fried chicken, so I relish each and every bite. Surprisingly, I've had some of what I thought was best from supermarket delis. Better than the Colonel any day.

Oh, and I loved the joke.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
No more for me, it may contain a bomb.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Cheesy, I recall an episode of "Food Wars" where Annies and Maries were pitted against each other. Much spirited support on both sides and I can't remember who the judges decided was better.

I saw that episode, and I can't remember which one was the winner either. There was some 'creative' liberties taken with some of the 'storyline', but nothing too out of line.

I can't remember which one we go to, Annies or Maries, they're kind of off the beaten path, the one with the vintage 1960's rooster that lays an egg with a toy trinket in it when you put a quarter in.....fried chicken with homemade white bread and honey to eat while you wait.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
Fried chicken is the best stuff ever, throw in a watermelon and I'm in heaven. I'm a white dude just so y'all know.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
best take out fried chicken was kenny's with deep fried biscuits and honey. caravan was a very close second.

Posted By: Hunt41Ram Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
From the South but have been in Colorado for 37 years and hard to find good local fried chicken places out here. Met a friend from Denton at Babe's Chicken Dinner House in Roanoke, TX when I was in Fort Worth a few years ago. I remember it being very good chicken. We were visiting our son in Houston last year and he drove us out to Round Top on Sunday for lunch at Royers Round Top Cafe. He got us there at 11:00.....an hour before they opened to get in line. Small place but great fried chicken and terrific pies. Can't wait to go back.

Hard to beat good fried chicken with all the fixins! Anyone know a good place in Colorado?
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16

WTF?? Squat to pee too?
Posted By: mathman Re: Fried Chicken - 07/13/16
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

WTF?? Squat to pee too?

Well, he does like to enforce the speed limit by rolling road blocking in the left lane.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Fried Chicken - 07/14/16
Shortly after Katrina wiped out the 9th Ward of New Orleans a so-called 'journalist' was interviewing a resident of that location.

The question was..."How has this flooding affected your churches"?

The response from the person asked this question was "Us don't know nuthin bout dim churches....we bees gittin us fried chicken frum Popeyes!"
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Fried Chicken - 07/14/16
Bojangles, Popeyes, Hardees. None of those close to here anymore. But any trip of 100 miles will get me there. Sevral local private places do a good job. Fried clucker is just flat good. Takes a nasty cook to screw it up, if it is not raw/dried out.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Fried Chicken - 07/14/16

In the left lane?

Zinnnnnng!
© 24hourcampfire