Home
All:

My wife really likes this breed and wants to get one someday. Does anyone here have one, or had one in the past? If so, what was your experience with this critter?

Memories...

The females are sweethearts, very good dogs, naturally protective of their people but still sociable. The males can be fine as well, but unless you plan to breed, I would have them neutered.

Mauser was 116 lbs, all muscle. He could be touchy with adults, but one time a ~4-5 year old boy tried to tackle him, before the boy's father or I could stop him. Mau thought it was great fun, and licked the kid's face. Our hearts started again.

A teenage boy once tossed him a football, despite me warning him Mau would chew it up. He basically destroyed the football in one bite. They are powerful animals, and thorough obedience training and socialization is a must.

[Linked Image]
Great dogs that need structure, purpose, and training to be at their best.
Most guys just don't have the time or inclination to make a great Rott.

Our old yard/guard dog Lucy was 1/2 Rott, 1/2 shaggy farm dog. A sweetheart that looked like a stone cold killer.

My last one was a very large female that was a big baby. The smartest, easiest to train and best dog I have owned. They need to be trained early, it needs to be consistent and firm. They are extremely powerful and they are highly intelligent.

Mine would obey me or dad anywhere at anytime. She could give 2 schits what mom told her to do. Never had any issues with her and mom she just didn't really care she she told her. I assumed it was tone of voice.
A guy in our marina had one he kept on the boat with him. Poor boat had belonged to some friends of mine before he bought it, and he and the dog basically ruined it - not the dogs fault. He also took it offshore with him, but one trip he couldn't find the dog after he tied the boat up!Figured it went back in the cockpit and fell or jumped overboard a few miles out. He immediately drove to the beach, found it playing with some kids a few miles from the jetties, where it had swum ashore!

I should mention the old boy drank A LOT!

Mike
A guy in our marina had one he kept on the boat with him. Poor boat had belonged to some friends of mine before he bought it, and he and the dog basically ruined it - not the dogs fault. He also took it offshore with him, but one trip he couldn't find the dog after he tied the boat up!Figured it went back in the cockpit and fell or jumped overboard a few miles out. He immediately drove to the beach, found it playing with some kids a few miles from the jetties, where it had swum ashore!

I should mention the old boy drank A LOT!

Mike
Originally Posted by johnw
Great dogs that need structure, purpose, and training to be at their best.
Most guys just don't have the time or inclination to make a great Rott.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

They are dogs for 'dog people'....if you don't understand them,you are getting a liability. If you do understand them, you are getting the best friend you'll ever have.
My Mom has kept rotties for nearly thirty years. My favorite was her first, a male. He came from near Portland Oregon, and was stunted due to salmon poisening as a pup. I would guess he grew to an adult size of just over fifty pounds.

In those days, we were at Mom's house with our kids four or five days a week. My six year old son became great buddies with her dog.

Then, Mom bought a large female to breed and sell a few pups.

A couple days later, we were down visiting. My son was running circles around the house with the small male bouncing at his side. As they made the third or fourth lap, they rounded a blind corner and surprised the new female.

They were just around the corner from me. I could not really see the dogs, but I heard a snarl from the female, then silence.

It took me a couple seconds to get there. When I rounded the corner, the little male was still holding the large female pinned to the ground by her throat. And he was not letting her go.

Mom came around the corner a bit later and gave the Dutch command for release. And he turned the bitch loose.

My son said he never saw any thing like it. The female snarled and the male just instantly grabbed her by the throat and threw her to the ground, despite the fact that she outweighed him by twenty pounds.

That first male had very extensive training before Mom acquired him and was one of the best dogs I ever knew.

Mom has had rotties ever since, but none of them had much training except to kennel or sit. And I would not give two bits for any of her subsequent dogs.
Just a quick note about the rottie.

They are often compared to the sharpei, and pit bull, and recognized as a ferocious fighting dog.

It takes very little research to determine the differing origins of the breeds. Rotties were bred from cattle herding dogs. They are shepards at heart.

The genetic tendencies are much different than those of a breed whose ancestors were selected for blood sports for centuries.
I had two, will have a third when I retire. Like every guard dog breed, there is greater liability than every other breed.
I'll second what John W, Ingwe and a couple of others have said.

Train early, Train often, extremely smart, loyal, protective mostly, and remember they were not originally bred as pets, they are working dogs and like to have a a "job" (more training). A half hour or so a day working with them might do the trick. For their size they can excel at agility and are most assuredly capable of championships in obedience.

And before I forget, find a responsible breeder. Like some other breeds, backyard breeders have a tendency to select for undesirable traits like aggression and size.

Good luck,

Geno
They are not my cup of tea but I am certain that there are many fine specimens among them. They are a little too protective for my taste.
My female is about 3 in the photos, my male around 8 weeks and later 8 months. We lived in the ghetto and my female was awesome at her job, out during the day patrolling the full perimeter fence around the property and inside at night.

Neither were difficult to train. As soon as they were fully vaccinated we took them everywhere to socialize them, especially public places. At the parks most everyone wanted to stick their faces right up to them, kids pet them and other dogs reactions varied of course.

As they grew up both developed a clear sense of "space" typical of the breed, outside of the fence or vehicles, they were normal and approachable, inside their "space" and they had a job.

I will get another female, easier in the long run in my opinion.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The only two I have ever been around were owned by single guys. Those dogs were gentle giants. I guess those guys just spent a lot of time with them.
I have owned a male and female. The female was a rescue, the male came from a very good breeder . One of my favorite breeds and miss not having them around , they unfortunately did not last long. I will get another Male when I retire .
After having Damien a 135 lb. male for 12 years its very hard to get a Rot again. Very intelligent, loved all children, was trained to blood trail deer and used him to drag deer out of the woods.

If I were to get a Rot again, I would stay away from American blood lines because they are bred more for size with longer legs. Where the traditional German is smaller with a shorter legs and less chance of hip problems.

Also investigate your home owners insurance, there's a lot of companies that will not insure you if you have a Rot or will raise your rates.
Originally Posted by coyotewacker

Also investigate your home owners insurance, there's a lot of companies that will not insure you if you have a Rot or will raise your rates.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Pit bulls are a no-no and many companies wont insure you if you have a German Shepherd. I learned that quickly and last time I was shopping for home owners insurance and questioned about what kind of dog I had..it was an Alsatian.Ignorance springs eternal, so that worked.

Don't know if there is a pseudonym for Rottweiler though.......

I've only had 1 experience with one. I used to be a roofer. We went to a rental house on a ranch to check out a roof leak. The lady wasn't home but she had a Rot inside that about ate the door when we knocked.
There were a half doz other rentals nearby with lots of little kids running around.
We went back to do the job and the lady was out of town. The dog had been left in the care of the ranch mechanic who kept it in his shop down the road. Somehow the dog got loose from him and it took up residence at the foot of our ladder waiting for us to come down and play. We had to radio the boss to call the ranch to come get it before we could come down.
Later the mechanic walked down to talk to us with the dog on a leash. Luckily it was winter and I was wearing a heavy coat because the dog pulled the leash out of his hand and grabbed my arm. He only got coat so I got lucky.
They realized that a dog like that and all those kids running around was a recipe for disaster so when the lady got home, she was greeted with an eviction notice.
Had an intact male for 8 years. Raised with our 3 kids. Nary a bite. However his mere presence kept many an unwanted visitor in their car until we came out of the house. Even when he was in a kennel with a hard roof...

Get 'em young, 5 or 6 weeks. Spend a BUNCH of time with them. YOU have to be the Alpha male, ALWAYS. If ya ain't a dog person by nature, look elsewhere. Definitely, find a reputable breeder.

Then enjoy one of the best friends you will ever have...

Originally Posted by ingwe

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Pit bulls are a no-no and many companies wont insure you if you have a German Shepherd. I learned that quickly and last time I was shopping for home owners insurance and questioned about what kind of dog I had..it was an Alsatian.Ignorance springs eternal, so that worked.

Sure there is... MUTT....

Lady that owned a store over here in Wilderville had one...

once day while washing her dishes, she looks out the window to see a young male cougar in the yard, and her kids are playing on the side of the house outside in the sandbox...

she ran to grab her husband's rifle in the closet... she recalled see the hair on the back of the Rott's neck going up.. while she went to grab the rifle, the Rott went thru the screen door.. thru the screen...

by the time she got there with the rifle, her Rott was prancing around with a few bleeding spots here and there, but essentially circling one dead cougar, which turned out to be a little over a year old, and weighed 110 lbs according to Fish and Wildlife....

Made me look at them in a new light...
We got Mauser (pictured above) from a breeder 50 or so miles south of Dallas. At his farm he had the mother, stud, and a brother from a previous litter, named Kodiak. I noticed a couple of coyote hides on the barn and asked what he shot them with. He replied, "not me, Kodiak got them"

A little while later we were outside with all the pups running around, and Kodiak walks up looking to be petted. The litter of 4-5 week old pups starts swarming around him. He looks around nervously, and then steps with exaggerated care, carefully placing every foot, to move away without stepping on a pup. So he could catch & kill yotes, but was careful around young pups. Very well balanced personality.
I have a 14 week old Rottie and she is 35 pounds of joy. She can be be a little stubborn but she sure is smart. I am a very happy camper, so far. The neighborhood kids come down and play with her. I introduced the dog to the parents and explained the need to socialize while it is a pup. I am retired and have plenty of time to spend with her.
If I had not owned this breed I would be very cautious around them like any other guard dog breed and understand there are those that hate Rottweilers as much as Pit's.

I am less concerned with Dobermans, and even less so with German Shepherds but I had two GS's growing up.

My homeowners insurance would not insure me with a Rottweiler as well as a list of other breeds, I will address that when the time comes.

Originally Posted by Clint
I have a 14 week old Rottie and she is 35 pounds of joy. She can be be a little stubborn but she sure is smart. I am a very happy camper, so far. The neighborhood kids come down and play with her. I introduced the dog to the parents and explained the need to socialize while it is a pup. I am retired and have plenty of time to spend with her.

Clint, is this your first?

I can't say if socializing or being Alpha is more important but I believe you can't go wrong socializing the puppy with a lot of different people (strangers), the breeds instinct to protect their "space" should take care of those who are up to no good.
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

My wife really likes this breed and wants to get one someday. Does anyone here have one, or had one in the past? If so, what was your experience with this critter?

Never had one, but their body types really run the gamut. You find slender, not particularly muscled, Rotts and you find some that look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime. And it's not a matter of them working out. It's just genetics. Definitely insist on seeing both parents before buying a puppy if you want to have a clue as to which type you're getting, if that matters to you.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

They are often compared to the sharpei, and pit bull, and recognized as a ferocious fighting dog.

It takes very little research to determine the differing origins of the breeds. Rotties were bred from cattle herding dogs. They are shepards at heart.

The genetic tendencies are much different than those of a breed whose ancestors were selected for blood sports for centuries.
Actually, they were, due to their size, employed by the Germanics as cattle guardians and draft dogs, but they were originally imported into Germania by the Roman military, i.e., they were dogs of war, bred for menacing and attacking anyone not wearing the uniforms of their handlers.
Originally Posted by ingwe

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Bavarian Draft Dog. grin
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Actually, they were, due to their size, employed by the Germanics as cattle guardians and draft dogs, but they were originally imported into Germania by the Roman military, i.e., they were dogs of war, bred for menacing and attacking anyone not wearing the uniforms of their handlers.
My research indicates the ancestors to the German Rottie were Roman cattle dogs.
I owned two and to clarify, I owned their arse.

A few years back I was doing chores around the buildings and noticed some cattle milling around in the barnyard. When I investigated they were breathing hard and wide eyed. I climbed up on the corral loading chute to have a look around and spotted a yearling beef down on its forelegs about 300 yards out in the pasture and what appeared to be a canine harassing it

Got the Savage 99 250-3000 out of the truck and jumped on the ATV. When I got to within 50 yards a Rot quit chewing on the beef's back leg and stared at me. A Sierra 90 grain HPBT put him down.

The beef's ears and tail were bit off and a lot of blood was foaming out of its mouth. A bullet put it out of its misery.

In another incident, I was on a fence division Township committee to settle a dispute. While surveying one of the landowners showed up with a Rot. The Rot jerked the leash out of his hand and within seconds had one of the committee members by the leg. One guy prodded the dog with a prism pole and it let loose of the guy and bit on the pole. When the guy was clear I put three 9mm rounds from my Kahr CW9 into it.
Yes, this is my first Rottie. I have had Great Danes, shepherds and other mixed breeds. I have a GSD mix that goes about 75 lbs and the Rottie's head is a perfect fit for the shepherds mouth.The shepherd shows great restraint when playing with the Rottie.
We had a rotty/lab mix, a rescue dog.

Jack was a lot of fun most times, but he definitely had a protective/aggressive nature.

We had a neighbor caring for two mentally and phisically handicapped adults. Jack sensed their weakness and it brought out his killer mode. I had to be VERY careful with him.

Eventually he started killing deer in the yard at the cyclic rate. He became too much of a liability to keep.....

Since then, we look for a certain profile in a rescue dog. Smaller herding breed blood (heeler, border collie, cattle dog, mix etc) and female.

Here's a few pics of ol' Jack Boy,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
One of the biggest mistakes people make with the "Guard Dog" breeds is to let them roam free. They should be securely fenced and/or leased at all times.

This includes German Shepard's, Dobermans, Boxers and all the Molosser breeds.

You want a med to large dog that can roam free get a lab.
Originally Posted by roundoak

You did right. It's to bad people choose to neglect their dogs.
My buddy's rottie was a slobber machine. Got rain-gear?
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by roundoak

You did right. It's to bad people choose to neglect their dogs.

Absolutely!

Would not have mattered had they been poodles or yorkies, they needed killing.

A neighbor 3/4 mile away used to raise dachshunds. Sometimes he let his male Australian Shepard breed the momma weinie dog.

The brown or blue pups would range for miles in every direction and pester stock. Some of the local ranchers used to hunt them like coyotes, and the little bastards were damned near as sneaky.

I had to kill a few brown ones when I found them killing our Thanksgiving turkeys. Then the Ausie male made the mistake of coming onto our porch and growling at my wife when she opened the door. It took me a week or so, but I got him too.

Yorkies? Yes, one of those little schits got into the sheep pen and tugged on the wool on a ewe's back quarters. The dog never brought blood, but separated the skin from the underlying muscle and the sheep died.
No offense but I will pass on shelter and rescue dogs, my mother and her huge heart was notorious for this and I grew up with psycho or mentally defective dogs, I took in two adult labs 15 years ago thinking they only needed a good home, one was definitely psycho, the other awesome.

I can't take that chance with guard dog breeds, I want to see the parents too.

My oldest daughter wanted a puppy and a friend of her friend had Rott/Lab puppies. The little 6 week old puppy was a round puffball, but he grew to be 150 pounds (on the Vet's scale) before two years old, all the marks of a Rott with a skinny face. Thankfully, he is really lazy and extremely docile, and my daughter can't understand why people are scared of him.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is my last Rot, a wonderful female
[Linked Image]

I am going to echo what everybody else has said. Pick your breeder, look at both parents. Some have been bred for big bodies, giant heads, and aggression. Steer clear. Hip dysplasia is another problem--the parents should have certificates showing them to be free of the problem. Avoid any rescue dogs--they probably weren't well trained. Don't get a Rottie if you don't know how to train dogs. Dominance is an issue--You have to be the alpha. That doesn't mean you beat them to show who is boss, but you need to have the time and know the techniques. Obedience training is an art and a science--if you don't know how, sign up with a trainer who welcomes big dogs.
If you get a good one and train it right, you get a friend and protector without equal.
Thanks for the great information all. If anyone else has any experience, please respond.

I've had 2 rottie's. Both males. Everyone was spot on as far as they take lots of socializing as pups and training. Also the advice on looking for a good breeder and check the lines for hip displasia.
They are highly intelligent, and loyal to their master. Mine have been great with kids.
Our second one has a huge work drive and is most happy when given a job. He's been Schutzhun trained and now is working on doing herding training also. He's a big baby, but when he feels we are in danger, he will put himself between us and the threat, puff up his huge chest and give a growl that makes any sane person stop.
My neighbor about a mile away has an older Rott named crusher.
I don't like to get out of my vehicle unless they are home. They let it run loose but I don't think it leaves the yard.
I always carry a handgun and would shoot as needed.
We have wolves and coyotes already we sure don't need free range dogs in the neighborhood.
I've had mixed results. I got two pups twenty years ago. Betty was a couple weeks older and very smart. I trained her the basic commands and she learned real fast. After that she watched me work with Bigfoot and that was the last time Betty would follow any command. I tried every technique I could think of with Betty but she was just contrary.

A couple of weeks after the initial training a girlfriend who had experience with Rotts worked with them for a summer. Maybe that was Betty's problem, IDK.

Big was the opposite, that big blockheaded guy was just plain happy with me as the boss. Best dog I've had. Great temperament, loyal, protective, stayed home if she was chained up, just a good boy.

I never feared that either of them would hurt anybody, in fact they were too friendly as my neighbors can attest. Amy admitted to overdoing the socialization "but they were so cute" geez.

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

We had a neighbor caring for two mentally and phisically handicapped adults. Jack sensed their weakness and it brought out his killer mode. I had to be VERY careful with him.

We've had a number of Rotts and they all seemed to have this trait. Fine dogs and great companions but you always had to be EXTRA careful with them. They could be good for years and then something can set them off and that aggressive instinct comes out. Usually over weakness or fear someone displays.

As much as we loved rotts, we just could never fully relax when we had one. You just never knew when that one time would come up. We've switched to labs and have been very happy with our choice.
I have had two friends with them. They were ok with me once they got used to me being around however I had the sense they never really fully accepted me. One of the guys got a new girl friend and his dog never accepted her until they moved in together in a new house. She went over first and was there when he brought the dog over. The dog had no issue with her after that and they became close chums for years until the dog passed.
The other guy had to get rid of his as despite the dog being around many people visiting the house he never became social.

Neither of these dogs ever left the owners properties much other than vet visits. I am no expert on dogs but i aways thought with rotties it might be more about turf than anything.

Niether ever bit anyone they would both just growl and try and block your progress around the houses. Made people nervous. I kind of got used to it.
I am sure most of you have seen this video, many breeds would probably do the same but it makes me grin that it was a Rott'.

Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Memories...

The females are sweethearts, very good dogs, naturally protective of their people but still sociable. The males can be fine as well, but unless you plan to breed, I would have them neutered.

Mauser was 116 lbs, all muscle. He could be touchy with adults, but one time a ~4-5 year old boy tried to tackle him, before the boy's father or I could stop him. Mau thought it was great fun, and licked the kid's face. Our hearts started again.

A teenage boy once tossed him a football, despite me warning him Mau would chew it up. He basically destroyed the football in one bite. They are powerful animals, and thorough obedience training and socialization is a must.

[Linked Image]

I knew a Rott named Mauser... And another named Gabriel. Gabriel was the standard by which all Rotts should be measured.
Ditto those who are warning the OP to get a reputable breeder. Rotts which are bred too close to their own blood line are prone to cancer and hip dysplasia.
I had nice one years ago.
Never had one, but I remember the first time I saw one. A brace of them, in fact. They belonged to Brian Kilcomins, the famous dog trainer. He was training my puppy German Shepherd back in 1980. One day he showed up to the house with a pickup truck, and in the bed were two magnificent Rottweilers. I had never heard of the breed before. After the training session, he gave them the release command and they jumped off the truck and sat down next to him. He then demonstrated their protection training for us. I found the breed very impressive, and thought I'd like one. He told me that they were a very rare breed in the US, and went for several thousand dollars. That was when they first made their appearance in the US.

They're mastiffs, used for guard work, descended from Roman war dogs. When the Romans left them behind, the Germanic people put them to work pulling carts and guarding cattle.
I have had 2 of them a male and female. The female was a rescue which was severely abused by a previous owner(s). My kind hearted wife made a fine dog out of her , unfortunately Shadow had hip dysplasia and we had to end her life at 4 years of age. One of the tougher things I have done in life. My mother who grew up on a farm was in tears for days over this and she was not a big dog lover.

The male was a german import Rottie, weighed between 100-105 lbs his entire life. Bear was an Absolute Stud of a Dog, color , conformation,intelligence and demeanor off the charts .

My wife lived on a fenced 1 acre lot before we were married. SOme kid made a habit of riding his bike past the fence and hitting the chain link with a stick. One day I went out to put up a FOR SALE for the property and I did not close the gate right. Here comes the same kid hitting the fence and inciting the 2 rotties . I noticed the gate ajar and I could not make it there before Bear ran out and chased the kid down and knocked him off his bike.He stood over the kid and growled at him but there was no further damage. I walked the kid back to his parents house and explained to them what he was doing and not to do it again.

He died of cancer in june of 2001 and I miss him to this very day. I would have another in a NY minute. Train them right and let them know who the boss is and they are a fine companion. I am now taking care of a 12 month old Bull Mastiff and he reminds me a lot of the other two and he is even more protective of my wife and I.
Originally Posted by RDW
I am sure most of you have seen this video, many breeds would probably do the same but it makes me grin that it was a Rott'.

One night my wife put her 2 rotties outside, we were watching TV and heard a loud crash against the house, An Armadillo unfortunately wandered into her yard and the Rotties were playing Rugby with it and throwing it around like a big ball.
Back in my oil patch days I spent a half dozen years or so living in Pampa, TX. Whilst there I became friends with the fella who owned a service station on the south end of town as they did work on some of our vehicles.

One day he took me out back to pick up something or other and inside a 8'x8'x6' high chain link kennel was the biggest, baddest, nastiest looking Rott I had ever seen. The owner said he weighed something like 160lbs and he and his son were the only ones who could handle him. This dog was loud and scary. He told me that they turn the dog loose inside the shop at night and he patrols the place until either him or his son arrives in the morning to put him up. As loud as he was I said something about that alone would keep out any intruders. He kinda laughed and said he doesn't bark while inside.

He went on to tell me about an incident a couple years earlier when someone had tried to break into the shop by busting out one of the lower windows on the overhead garage door and reached in to unlock it. Apparently the dog grabbed the guy by the arm and held him there for quite some time according by the blood left behind. In the morning all that was there was a mess of blood, some broken glass, and a dog. Somehow the guy got loose. The police were called and they checked the hospital for any mauled up arms that may have showed up over night. They found just one. grin
I have a six month old Rottie female and she is a fantastic animal. She has eaten part of a recliner, sofa, several electrical cables and cords, bird, three rugs,several partially ripe tomatoes,and one pair of shoes among other things. She shows remarkable control she only ate one pair of shoes. She has helped me join the younger generation, I now have a pierced ear, nose and nipple thinks to her.
I can't imagine not having a Rottie.
My MIL's new boyfriend owned one and my son has the permanent scares on his face to prove it.
Pete
Originally Posted by 40O
My MIL's new boyfriend owned one and my son has the permanent scares on his face to prove it.
Pete

some people should not own them
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by 40O
Pete

True for any powerful and capable breed of dog.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by 40O
Pete

True for any powerful and capable breed of dog.

Very much so. You must remain in charge at all times, it is more work than other breeds but the rewards of loyalty and love are astounding from these types of dogs.
I have had a Bull Mastiff puppy for roughly 3 months , it came from an individual that didn't treat it right IE: kept him outside in all weather and at 10 months of age actually used him for breeding and who knows what else .

I would have much preferred a puppy to start out with but I will train this dog and do it right . The effort is well worth it and the rewards are just out of this world. I have never been around a more protective loving animal in my entire life. He is smart as all hell and he clearly knows who the boss is and it is not him. Getting back on subject I wish I had my Rotties back , maybe in retirement I will get a pair to go along with the Mastiff and the 2 parson russels .
© 24hourcampfire