Home
We often lament the decline of the "Man's man" and the rise of the Metrosexual. My trip to Home Depot this weekend gave me reason to pause and consider the trend.

I was there to get a toilet rebuilt kit. Simple enough to change out the old innards in the tank. Takes all of ten minutes. While I'm grabbing the kit, a couple in there late twenties is in the same aisle and discussing their project that somehow involved a paint brush. The dominant female was telling the Metro male she was going back to get paint brush in the paint department. He seemed confused. "You're going to buy a paint brush?" "Yes, I need a paint brush." Simple enough, but the dude had that same look and sound of uncertainty as my wife when tell her things like "the crank sensor went out on your car" or "our son's online gaming is eating all of our bandwidth". It is the look of someone who really doesn't grasp the situation well enough to understand it.

Divorce has given America two generations of a bunch males raised by Mom. Very few of these moms were hand around the house and could even change a lightbulb in most cases. Nobody taught the boys the basics of being a useful handyman. I'm sure Mr. Metro would have needed to go online and watch 90 minutes of Youtube videos before he would have had the courage to tackle my toilet project.

That same situation has raised boys without hunting, without fishing, without guns. They have been led by the Matriarchal school system and we have on our hands a bunch of neutered young males that are used to taking orders from women. Some women will like that just fine, but none will ever really respect the neutered male. They have girl friends to gossip and shop with. They can use a man who is handy around the house and projects and image of strength instead of someone who is weak and vulnerable like the women often feel in threatening situations.

Maybe I'm jaded. Anyone else have that observation?
along with the over all dumbing down of America, we are also dealing with the pussification of American men. Single mothers, public schools, Title IX, gender confusion, and a host of other reasons, but it's real.
Yep. I went off on a couple of carpet-munchers at a party a few months back that were basically trying to excoriate men to anyone that would listen by saying how much better the world would be if testosterone was eliminated.

Told them that testosterone was the only reason their fat, ugly asses were not still living in a cave, eating raw plants, and thinking the world was flat. With no chocolate to make things better when they got all teary.

Except that Gen Xrs are pushing 50 now and Gen Yrs are right behind them. Your thinking of millenials.
Very true. Add in the total time being in front of a screen instead of playing outside or earning spending money, it just goes downhill.
Differences abound. Dad left home when I was 12. Right at the time I was needing a dad around. But I will say that my mom assured I got to do
"Manly" stuff! She was the one that assured I got to deer hunt and fish! And the fact that I had ample WWII vets around as role Models was a big plus!

Those were different times.

I concur that there exists lots of fellows out there that missed out on a lot of positive life experiences in the past 30 or so years. But I saw the pussification factor occuring while raising my own boys. At school and they assorted youth organizations. All part of the plan.
Can't speak for Gen Y but there are many Gen X'ers that are able to do for themselves.

necessity is a big driver for it.
My daughter and son in law had a flat tire on her Corolla a couple of weeks ago. He did not even attempt to change the damn tire and called AAA. He honestly had no idea how to do it, and even less inclination to try. He is, by the way, 6'1" and 260 pounds. It is the stuff of doughnuts and junk food, however. Nice guy, but loves fluffy bunnies and Pokemon. Sheesh.
So what was the paintbrush for?
My wife has a niece who's a single mother and she's never been very good at it, to say the least. She has an acute medical problem and has been in an ICU for several weeks now with a very poor chance of surviving it. Even if she survives it, she'll likely never be able to function normally again.
She has a 16 yo son who's never had a father. Most likely, he'll be living with his mid-50's grandmother whether his mom survives or not.
Granny is a widow who knows how things are done. She's twice the man that mom ever could be and I think she'd be good for the boy. He'll learn how to remodel a house among other things. Granny knows how to swing a hammer and crank a wrench. He'll also encounter the wrath of Granny if he ever touches a drug and that's something you don't want to encounter.
We have noticed this trend while playing dirty Santa at Christmas. None of the millennial males want anything to do with tools or hunting/fishing related stuff. They tend to choose any candy, gift cards, or car wash stuff that they get the opportunity at. It amazes me because these youngsters were raised by some pretty rugged folks. I am doing EVERYTHING I can to make sure my son doesn't turn out that way. Heck, he is already more of a real dude at 8 years old than some of them in their 20s & 30s!
Originally Posted by kingston

To dust off the gold fish of course!
They're a product of their upbringing.

The older generation sure likes to condemn these metrosexual kids with no idea of how to be a man. But they're not so quick to condemn themselves for being too self absorbed to spend time with their kids, or condemn themselves and their friends for being philandering husbands that can't keep a marriage together.
My gripe about millennials is lack of initiative.

young employee: "This customer sent an inquiry, and I've emailed him twice with no reply"

me: "call him" smile

I also recall teaching a Gen X'er to change the oil on his car. He was more of a big city kid, smart guy, MBA in Finance from a good school, but had never worked on his car before. He did at least want to learn how to do it.
I see soft men in all generations. Obesity is such a giant issue with men that it's effecting all generations.

Video games are the killer of teenage males, IMO. Couple that with a sugar addiction and they are rendered almost useless. Pretty sad, IMO. Many adult males who grew up that way are also pretty useless.
Originally Posted by hatari
He seemed confused. "You're going to buy a paint brush?" "Yes, I need a paint brush."

Maybe they already had paint brushes at home and he didn't understand why she was buying another one.
Good women (mothers) WILL find positive male roll models if the husband has vacated. Bad mothers are bad mothers, just as bad fathers are bad fathers.

I've seen guys 15 to 70 that haven't a clue how to turn a wrench, so I don't think it's generational.

I will say, it's FAR more common in URBAN/CITY environments. My best workers out of boot camp were always the farm boys, the worse were the city kids.
It really is amazing.

I'm never surprised these days at kids 18 to 30 who've never been camping, fishing, never fired as much as an air rifle, couldn't put a male plug on the end of an electrical cord, never attempted to change the oil in their own vehicle, etc

ISIS is salivating
The only upside I see is all the hot women you see at Home Depot and Lowe's who need advice or help finding something. I don't work at either place but I'm usually easier to find than an employee when they have questions.
I was damn lucky! And I try to play it forward. There are lots of young men That want to learn or know stuff. I dunno a lot, but I try to pass on what I do know when I'm around them and they are willing to learn!

Most I've been around think it's neat to know how to do old stuff.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

The older generation sure likes to condemn these metrosexual kids with no idea of how to be a man. But they're not so quick to condemn themselves for being too self absorbed to spend time with their kids, or condemn themselves and their friends for being philandering husbands that can't keep a marriage together.
Part of it is their school and friends environment growing up. I did my best to get my sons manned up. They roofed some houses with me, went camping and hunting, and lots of other things. It never caught their interest. Neither like to camp or hunt now but now they're both married with families and are both homeowners. Now they're trying to relearn what I tried to teach them years ago but both had to pretty much start from scratch. Both have admitted that they should have listened to the ol' man at bit more when they were young.
Have seen a big difference that has been made with being involved with Scouting. We get plenty of clueless kids passing thru... Single mothers, or if they have a dad, they are usually self absorbed in their own world, they have no time for their kids.... unemployed and spend their days playing video games, etc... so mom's bring kids to scouts in hope of having some sort of decent male image in their kids lives.

but Bluedreaux is right, that not enough parents spend any time with their kids.. they are products of the 'its all about me' generation....

Where Pat speaks of helping someone learn to change their own oil, I got my son enrolled with classes at the Automotive Program over at the local community college, despite his major focus being paramedic. It gave him more focus, expertise and access to equipment than I could have given him. It was money well spent.

I sure wish I'd have had someone suggest that to me when I was a college aged kid, instead of having to learn the hard way on how to make a vehicle last, and keep it running in good shape.

I've even taken a few classes with him over there. I thought at first the young kids would give me a lot of crap, but it has been the opposite. Lots of guys in their 30s and 40s trying to learn a skill to have in a crap job market here. The younger kids, were saying when I was taking the courses with Jonathan, that they sure wished their grandpa was taking some of these courses with them, like I was with Jonathan... of course they thought I was his grandpa... Since he was born when I was 42.

However I think the pussification of the male society by the liberal left is just another one of their many goals to control society in general... which they seem to be doing a good job of accomplishing.
If a kid's friends or school is screwing up their life, it's a parent's job to fix that. A parent is the only one who CAN fix that.

I can tell you it is as often "philandering wives" that break up marriages. seen plenty of that, and they still get the kids. Courts don't care who's screwing whom. So pass the blame around.
Even though we grew up in small town/rural America my father[and grandfather] were both business men. Neither were much at turning wrenches, gardening or much of anything 'outdoors' beyond mowing the yard[even though dad was quite the athlete]. Pretty much all of my friends and one of my two brothers' as well grew up outdoors farming and hunting etc. It was the life we both wanted and slowly but surely headed towards. Never will forget the Christmas morning that I received my first gun[shotgun] and mom saying "wow, that's a big gun", and out the door I went! I never looked back.
My wife grew up the exact opposite and had a very 'handy' dad who only called a handyman or sent anything in for repair as a very last resort. I learned so much from him and thank him in prayer regularly.
While it is true enough that the millenials are often wonderously clueless, it has to understood that they are a product of their times and upbringing. Further, their parents are our children and it is plain that we (my generation) often failed to pass along the values which we should have. It was my generation which decided that we couldn't abide a hero and went to great extremes to tear down any that we could. It was my generation who accepted the "necessity for the two-income family. It was my generation who decided we wanted, no, we needed to be pampered in our daily lives and we passed this along in spades. In general, the youth of today are like they are because they lack the background to be any different and they lack the need or opportunity. At the same time, they have been imbued with the notion that they can have it all, right now. The thing is, todays youth didn't just get that way; we made them that way. We have been so busy satisfying our own desires, we have neglected our responsibilities.
We are often critical of the apparent need for young parents to spend a good portion of their weekend drunk while their children are left to their own devices. Then we remember, our parent's generation was often not much different.
In the vein of the original post, one of our campers had to bring her husband out this spring so she could show him how to get the camper-trailer ready for the summer in case she couldn't get out to do it sometime. Funny but at the same time, a little sad. GD

I can tell you it is as often "philandering wives" that break up marriages. seen plenty of that, and they still get the kids. Courts don't care who's screwing whom. So pass the blame around.

The kids are at fault, the mom is at fault, the courts are at fault......

If my boys don't grow up to be the men they should, it'll be my fault--Regardless of circumstances.
Most kids/adults I know who don't like hunting/fishing don't like it because the adult that initially took them sucked at it, and made it a horrible experience. Get good at it, and ANY kid will want to go.
Anyone else have that observation?
The world has changed and it's not changing back but for the worst.
I'm finding my son at 18 is alot more receptive to learning how to turn a wrench than he was at 14.
14 is the daydream year for boys. Puberty turns their brains into oatmeal. They seem to recover about the time they are old enough to get car keys.
I've known some strong women whom I respect. My favorite mom had 3 sons that played football for me. All were tough, hard nosed kids. I was coaching the youngest during the last year before I retired. He limped off the field after a play and our trainer took him aside to look at him.

A few minutes later I had a chance to ask the trainer if Lance was good to go. The trainer held up his cell phone; the mom sent him the following text, "Give him a tampon and put him back in the game".

BINGO!
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I will say, it's FAR more common in URBAN/CITY environments. My best workers out of boot camp were always the farm boys, the worse were the city kids.

This has been my experience as well. And most of the time, the big city kids simply never turn out.

There are some exceptions to the rule, but not many. That's why most of the city folks choose admin type jobs. They don't make good mechanics, IME.
My daughter at the farm has taught bunches of young men an women hard things like how to hold a hammer and drive a nail.

I will say this for them, many really want to learn and will work hard when given the opportunity.
Good women (mothers) WILL find positive male roll models if the husband has vacated. Bad mothers are bad mothers, just as bad fathers are bad fathers.

I've seen guys 15 to 70 that haven't a clue how to turn a wrench, so I don't think it's generational.

I agree.
I will say, it's FAR more common in URBAN/CITY environments.

I think that has a lot to do with it....not everything....but a lot....

Just yesterday I bought a couple of cords of wood from a guy I found in the local paper. Turned out to be a young couple (probably late 20's) that both work regular jobs (he's a welder and she works at ATK over in Lewiston) and then head to the mountains every weekend to spend time in the woods and make a little extra money. You could tell by pride he took in the wood and the way his truck was set up so you could see that you were actually getting an honest cord that they truly loved doing what they were doing.
I invited them to set a spell and have a beer after we got the truck unloaded and I gotta tell you, talking to them during that brief period gave me hope for a generation that usually has me shaking my head.
They're still out there but getting harder to find all the time...especially (like Steelie says) in the big cities....a perfect example being a guy about the same age I saw working at the big box store the other day complete with man-bun and wearing a skirt.....a gladiator looking affair....but a skirt none the less... frown
i think it also depends on where you grow up. i know several guys who are in their 20s 30s around here who don't fall in that category, a few who could be considered hard asses when it comes to fishing, hunting and racing cars.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Yep. I went off on a couple of carpet-munchers at a party a few months back that were basically trying to excoriate men to anyone that would listen by saying how much better the world would be if testosterone was eliminated.

Told them that testosterone was the only reason their fat, ugly asses were not still living in a cave, eating raw plants, and thinking the world was flat. With no chocolate to make things better when they got all teary.

Any pics of the carpet?

Originally Posted by Scott F

BINGO!

There is no doubt that the Baby Boomers are the "ME" generation, and contributed to this. Let's be realistic in understanding those Baby Boomers that are condemning this trend are not the same ones that were dropping acid, living in communes, protesting the War, and spending 8+ years in college getting worthless degrees to keep them out of the draft. Those types are far more likely to be the ones of which you speak, and the distinction should be made.
It's going to be a sad state of affairs for many, many people if things happen to force us to fend for ourselves again...

They can't even change a flat tire.

They will die like flies.
Originally Posted by jimy

To dust off the gold fish of course!

Hell no !!! Paint brushes are for BBQ sauce on chikken n brisket. When ya get done with it wash it out in the sink and go paint the bathroom.

When I got pushed out into the cold hard reality of life it quickly became apparent that "no workey" meant "no eaty"

Its really a simple concept.
I don't know what Gen I am, but I was born in the early 80s. My dad was too busy carting his kids to whatever activity they wanted to do and taking me hunting and fishing to fool with much DIY stuff. I can't thank him enough for it. I watch a lot of YouTube videos to figure [bleep] out.

Dad did teach me that some people just look for stuff to bitch about.
Originally Posted by turkish
I don't know what Gen I am, but I was born in the early 80s. My dad was too busy carting his kids to whatever activity they wanted to do and taking me hunting and fishing to fool with much DIY stuff. I can't thank him enough for it. I watch a lot of YouTube videos to figure [bleep] out.

I'm stuck in the middle too. Born in 85. I think we are technically Gen Y, but I don't know. I think ones actions can be defining as well as birthdate.

Dad took you hunting and fishing. You probably turned out just fine. If you can clean a fish and gut a deer, fixing a dryer vent won't intimidate you. I bet you went to school with the type of which we speak?
All the old guys think young dudes are pussies. Just the way it is.
If all these guys are such pussies, who is kicking ass in the Sandbox?
GenXChick-I'm going to get a paintbrush.

GenXDude-Why are you going to get a paintbrush?

GenXChick (whispering)-I'm not. But that creepy old white guy over there is staring at us and listening to everything we say. Let's get out of here.

Hatari-GenX'ers are dumb.

I was there to get a toilet rebuilt kit. Simple enough to change out the old innards in the tank. Takes all of ten minutes. While I'm grabbing the kit, a couple in there late twenties is in the same aisle and discussing their project that somehow involved a paint brush. The dominant female was telling the Metro male she was going back to get paint brush in the paint department. He seemed confused. "You're going to buy a paint brush?" "Yes, I need a paint brush." Simple enough, but the dude had that same look and sound of uncertainty as my wife when tell her things like "the crank sensor went out on your car" or "our son's online gaming is eating all of our bandwidth". It is the look of someone who really doesn't grasp the situation well enough to understand it.

Funny that you should mention the crank sensor example. I recently told my wife I had to buy one to get a Jeep started after it had been sitting a while. She actually listened and then crawled underneath the Jeep and helped change it out. It really helped when the thing finally fired up and she got to see the results.

Dad took you hunting and fishing. You probably turned out just fine. If you can clean a fish and gut a deer, fixing a dryer vent won't intimidate you. I bet you went to school with the type of which we speak?

I can do all that and my parents do any of it. At 14 I was bringing home rabbits and fish ready fore the stove. I learned to reload with Lee hand dies ant they had no clue.

If a kid today wants to know more than the nearest mall than they have a lot more resources than I did.
Born in 1979, but grew up in Spain (hardcore Right then) and Peru... There was no PC bullsheit there, now it is a little more for show, but still not to the craziness here.
My father is an intelectual, but did a lot of manual work at home, and praised effort above anything.
We didn't lack or need anything at home, but nothing was given freely.
I fished from what my grandmother taught me, and hunted as I grew older, all on my own. My father is not opposed to it, just not attracted to it.

Anyway, to the point, a very macho friend of mine wrote a very machodriven essay in highschool (private british school in Peru, creme de la creme, very liberal in which we could freely speak our minds, but respectfully. Also a tough disciplinary system, which may or may not have included physical punishment sometimes crazy ).
The essay said something that children should be raised by women while men work. Our literature teacher reamed him, very politely but firmly, explaining that children become puzzies if they only see the mother. They need a manly figure to grow up to and emulate, to learn from.

That is what is lacking in these generations, manly figures, fear or being assertive so not to offend, and bending over because it is PC. I praise effort and initiative in my kids... We live in the city, but still find ways to get muddy, scrape their knees catch fish and shoot.

Originally Posted by Pahntr760

I'm stuck in the middle too. Born in 85. I think we are technically Gen Y, but I don't know. I think ones actions can be defining as well as birthdate.

Always assumed I was the tail end of the baby boom(born 61) so I looked up the definition.
Seems there is no consensus for starting and ending dates for each generation.
Found this on wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation#Social_generation
Western world

For the purposes of this list, "Western world" can be taken to mean North America, Europe, South America, and Oceania. However, it should also be noted that many variations may exist within the regions, both geographically and culturally, which mean that the list is broadly indicative, but necessarily very general. For details see the individual articles.

The Lost Generation, also known as the Generation of 1914 in Europe,[23] is a term originating with Gertrude Stein to describe those who fought in World War I. The members of the lost generation were typically born between 1883 and 1900.

The Greatest Generation, also known as the G.I. Generation, is the generation that includes the veterans who fought in World War II. They were born from around 1900 through 1924, coming of age during the Great Depression. Journalist Tom Brokaw dubbed this the Greatest Generation in a book of the same name.[24]

The Silent Generation, also known as the Lucky Few, were born from approximately 1925 until 1942.[25] It includes some who fought in World War II, most of those who fought the Korean War and many during the Vietnam War.

The Baby Boomers are the generation that was born following World War II, generally from 1946-1964,[26][27][28] a time that was marked by an increase in birth rates.[29] The term "baby boomer" is sometimes used in a cultural context. Therefore, it is impossible to achieve broad consensus on a defined start and end date.[30] The baby boom has been described variously as a "shockwave"[31] and as "the pig in the python".[32] In general, baby boomers are associated with a rejection or redefinition of traditional values; however, many commentators have disputed the extent of that rejection, noting the widespread continuity of values with older and younger generations. In Europe and North America boomers are widely associated with privilege, as many grew up in a time of affluence.[33] One of the features of Boomers was that they tended to think of themselves as a special generation, very different from those that had come before them. In the 1960s, as the relatively large numbers of young people became teenagers and young adults, they, and those around them, created a very specific rhetoric around their cohort, and the change they were bringing about.[34] This generation is also referred to as the Me Generation, and the latter portion of the Baby Boomer generation as Generation Jones.

Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation born after the Western Post–World War II baby boom. Demographers, historians and commentators use birth dates ranging from the early 1960s to the early 1980s.[35][36][37] The term has also been used in different times and places for a number of different subcultures or countercultures since the 1950s.

Millennials, also known as the Millennial Generation,[38] or Generation Y, is the demographic cohort following Generation X. Commentators use birth dates ranging from the early 1980s to around 2000.[39][40][41]

Generation Z, also known as the "Homeland Generation"', is the cohort of people born after the Millennials. The generation is most commonly defined with birth years starting in the mid-1990s[42][43][44][38][45] although the early[46] or late 1990s[47][48] and early 2000s[49] have also been used as starting birth years for this generation.

The name Generation Alpha has been suggested for the generation following Generation Z.[50][51]
GenXChick-I'm going to get a paintbrush.

GenXDude-Why are you going to get a paintbrush?

GenXChick (whispering)-I'm not. But that creepy old white guy over there is staring at us and listening to everything we say. Let's get out of here.

Hatari-GenX'ers are dumb.

Ha! smile

...At 14 I was bringing home rabbits and fish ready fore the stove...

But we lived in a country, and we went to schools, that were not run by a government infiltrated by socialists and communists.
Originally Posted by pal
...At 14 I was bringing home rabbits and fish ready fore the stove...

But we lived in a country, and we went to schools, that were not run by a government infiltrated by socialists and communists.
Schools are a reflection of the communities they are in. If they are not, that in itself is a reflection on those communities. Communities elect the school board and the school board hires the Superintendent. Everything flows down from there. An argument can be made that the uppermost offices, like President and the Senate, are actually selected rather than elected. It's a whole lot harder to make that argument about local elections like school boards. Communities get the schools they choose.
I had a grandson over the last few days, he is around 30 now. Mother has had over 7marriages or so. He has a productive job, a girl friend he will probably marry, and a good kid. He ordered wood, paint, etc. to redo a utility trailer i have. Keep in mind it's been around 114in the shade. He wasn't really familar with a power drill, and stuff, but was picking it up. By asociation over several years now he has changed from a person who voted for the first zero the first time around, to someone that doesn't understand or relate to the "progressive" party at all. I have now properly infected a number of the grandkids to look at the world properly, one which you make it in yourself. There is hope for the future. His brother helped me dig by shovel and five gallon buckets a ten by 15 by 7feet deep hole all by hand, in the arizona summer heat. Couple of times both these boys were close to heat exhaustion but i never heard them complain.
I told this one last night he was one of the winners out of the gene pool, and i know after i am gone he will make it.
My father had a similar discussion with me.
Most all of this could be cured via a 1 yr mandatory stint in the military upon graduating from high school.

Then, again, it would most probably just increase the high school drop out rate.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I see soft men in all generations. Obesity is such a giant issue with men that it's effecting all generations.

Video games are the killer of teenage males, IMO. Couple that with a sugar addiction and they are rendered almost useless. Pretty sad, IMO. Many adult males who grew up that way are also pretty useless.

Nailed it.

From what I have seen around here young lads (and lass') are doing everything they can to do boy things...they jump at the chance, even the mummy boys can't wait to cut the apron strings.

Yes we do have our lazy crooked good-for-nothings, but they are what they are no matter how they are raised.
I agree with Bluedreaux.

So many kids have had their whole lives uprooted and everything they had known was ripped apart. Kids need a stable and solid life AND parents...and so many of them have been dragged through so much $ch!t and disaster and drama that they had no control over...ALL for selfish reasons of their parents.
If we don't intentionally give our kids what we should...then we will accidentally and unintentionally give them what we shouldn't. Wherever family identity is strong, peer pressure is gonna be weak...but wherever family identity is weak, peer pressure is gonna be strong. Family stability is predictive of children's well-being.
And the parents minimize the effect that their selfish actions have on their kids. Parents can be some pretty selfish mofo's...!

i work with these kind of young people. capri pants, slippers, man buns and zero common sense. i am the ONLY one in an office of about 125 people who knows that it is bad to plug 4 space heaters into a 20 amp circuit and what to do about the subsequent affect.

i blame mcdonalds chicken mcnuggets for the rise of the effiminate male.

i thank god every day for my construction working, fire fighting, chick loving sons.
Originally Posted by rem141r
i work with these kind of young people. capri pants, slippers, man buns and zero common sense. i am the ONLY one in an office of about 125 people who knows that it is bad to plug 4 space heaters into a 20 amp circuit and what to do about the subsequent affect.

You've seen what I've seen.

i thank god every day for my construction working, fire fighting, chick loving sons.

I blame Friends and Seinfeld smile

Likewise!!
I have no idea why guys are more feminine these days. I'm 29 and can fix or at least patch up most anything non electrical and kill, gut, skin, cut, and wrap most any creature on land or sea. I grew up in a rural area in a tight knit family or hard working men and women. I was expected to work from a young age and have been hunting and fishing since before I could walk.

I will tell you this though. After 5 years as foreman in a shop I had a much harder time with the 19-27 year olds not knowing how to read and do simple math than I did with them dressing like chicks or having a hairdo that bothered me.

Pretty interesting thread.

I grew up in a very provincial, agricultural locale in NW Iowa. My father, a decorated WWII vet, grew up through the Depression, the last of eight kids on a farm and I don't think my Dutch immigrant grandparents-his parents- had the time or energy to pay attention.

He was a quiet farm kid who became a book worm then a taciturn father and professor. He could paint houses, change the oil, and mow the lawn but his aptitude and interest in those things went no further than that. My siblings and I are very similar in that respect though I differ completely in having been a gun nut and hunter since I could lug my hand-me-down Daisy Red Rider around the neighborhood with neither instruction nor a mentor. Somehow I survived partially due to the forgiving Mayberryesque environment I grew up in.

Part of what I think we are observing now in the culture and among the young is the result of modernism followed by postmodernism that is being driven by the cultural elites. When you say there is no truth, wrong or right, jettison Judeau-Christian values, and that reality is determined by your feelings, there is a great leveling of what is good and evil ("they" cannot even say Muslim terrorist let alone that it is from the Pit of Hell), a denial of American exceptionalism and an the embracing of multiculturalism when we know that while we believe in personal equality, all cultures are not equal or add positively to that of another. We have certainly observed that. The elites determining what the culture should embrace in beliefs and world view, Marxists used to call cultural hegemony. Probably still do.

The result of this denial of our traditional values has been stunted public education and turned it into a social engineering process. The constant and instant communication of our technology age enables the cultural centers to impose on us what we call political correctness which is really has a dampening effect on the First Amendment right without being seen as overtly doing it. It's a step toward fascism and our youth in the 20's and 30's know no better and generally are ignorant of our history and have not been taught in our schools to think. Social engineering is indoctrination.

It's a generalization to be sure and there are exceptions but the trajectory we are on is not an uplifting one.

'Course I just had a birthday and probably qualify for curmudgeon status.
We often lament the decline of the "Man's man" and the rise of the Metrosexual. My trip to Home Depot this weekend gave me reason to pause and consider the trend.

Divorce has given America two generations of a bunch males raised by Mom. Very few of these moms were hand around the house and could even change a lightbulb in most cases. Nobody taught the boys the basics of being a useful handyman. I'm sure Mr. Metro would have needed to go online and watch 90 minutes of Youtube videos before he would have had the courage to tackle my toilet project.

That same situation has raised boys without hunting, without fishing, without guns. They have been led by the Matriarchal school system and we have on our hands a bunch of neutered young males that are used to taking orders from women. Some women will like that just fine, but none will ever really respect the neutered male. They have girl friends to gossip and shop with. They can use a man who is handy around the house and projects and image of strength instead of someone who is weak and vulnerable like the women often feel in threatening situations.

My first bet would be the stupid kgunt has 15 paint brushes at home but the guy didn't want to stir drama in front of strangers so just shrugged it off while the dumb kgunt went and found a paintbrush.

Dave

I blame the Boomers.

Clark
Two daughters, 9 and 13, they love to change oil, saw boards, do plumbing work. It is funny as hell to see little girl hands covered with dirty oil, up to the elbows.

I use a version of moms line when she was showing me how to do "women's" work. "You need to know how to do this in case you marry a woman who can't." I follow with a threat to shoot any pussified guy they bring around.
Those generations you're bitching about...what generations raised them and educated them? Apples don't fall far from trees, and the American forest is pretty damned rotten, IMHO.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Two daughters, 9 and 13, they love to change oil, saw boards, do plumbing work. It is funny as hell to see little girl hands covered with dirty oil, up to the elbows.

I use a version of moms line when she was showing me how to do "women's" work. "You need to know how to do this in case you marry a woman who can't." I follow with a threat to shoot any pussified guy they bring around.

Ditto. My daughter is a lot more comfortable in camo or oil stained jeans than any pink frilly schit that her mother wants her to wear. Her mother hates it, but that's a reflection on her and not the kid.
Originally Posted by deflave

I blame the Boomers.

Clark

It's what the boomers let into their homes
Tee Vee

I blame the Boomers.

Clark

That won't go over well, but it's Gospel. The Boomers were/are, without peer, the worst generation in American history and if the Republic finally falls it be their legacy.

Yep, I am one of that group and I agree. "Our generation" left the road.
Originally Posted by 4ager

I blame the Boomers.

Clark

That won't go over well, but it's Gospel. The Boomers were/are, without peer, the worst generation in American history and if the Republic finally falls it be their legacy.

As I said, "we" left the road but the subterfuge that resulted in that began long before.

Tickling his vagina...

The pussy type guys make me flippin sick. Metro sexual are stupid but lumbersexuals carry around tools they can't even use! Idiots! I can't stand any of them f'ers.
The worst thing about being a badass is that as soon as you aren't doing something(badass) you either get really bored or the mind starts thinking too much.

Thank God for beer.

Seriously though most decent knowledge is passed down. Or learned the hard way through trial and error.

Or googled...
Funny,
I am starting to see it go the other way. I am the milleniAL who has to do all his elderly neighbors handyman work. I much prefer taking a young guy hunting instead of an old stubborn pain in the neck. You know the ones in too poor shape to get off a quad and walk 100 yards then complain they don't see deer, or shoot a deer with a sks and drag it 500 yards in the wrong direction from the road, then when I drag it and bring it home and butcher they throw it in their trunk, clean hands and all while not even saying thank you or offering to dispoke of the carcass. Yep, noticed a lot of free loading, complaining, old lions lately. Probably spend the next 20 years supporting them when they poss away every penny and go on the dole. Ahh, 60 year Olds the next social welfare crisis:)
Probably leave a bunch of useless 270s to their kids too
[bleep] Clark beat me to it. B@$+ard, some of us gotta work.
"That same situation has raised boys without hunting, without fishing, without guns. They have been led by the Matriarchal school system and we have on our hands a bunch of neutered young males that are used to taking orders from women. Some women will like that just fine, but none will ever really respect the neutered male."

Truer words were never spoken.
I am 65 years old. I have dealt with the modern Feminist gals since college in 1970, the beginnings of the modern Feminist movement. I met and was dating many of these modern Feminist gals, hell, they were the only girls around!
These gals say they want a "sensitive" male, a guy who will reveal his inner feelings, a guy who they can talk to.

That is what they say, but they don't really mean it. They will pal around with such a guy, even screw him and marry him, but they don't respect him. In fact they despise the soft, feminized male.

The modern Feminists cannot escape their dna.
15,000 years ago our ancestors lived in Ice Age Europe. It was a brutal life.
The female who chose a soft man, a man who could not stalk and kill the cave bear, the man who could not start a fire, was a female whose children died. And she died, too. Her dna was eliminated.

Back then, for many hundreds of generations, the female who survived was the one who chose a rugged man, the man who could hunt and kill, and eat the cave bear. Who could light the fire, to keep the family warm on the minus 40 degree nights. The man who could fight and kill other men who wanted to take their family over.

For many hundreds of generations, the only females who survived were the ones who chose tough, rugged, fighting men.

So, in accord with Feminist philosophy they say that they want a soft, gentle man. It is a lie.
Their dna demands a tough rugged man who can fight, who can light a fire, who can kill if necessary.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
The worst thing about being a badass is that as soon as you aren't doing something(badass) you either get really bored or the mind starts thinking too much.

Thank God for beer.

Seriously though most decent knowledge is passed down. Or learned the hard way through trial and error.

Or googled...
yup i get bored pretty easy.
I blame Peppermint Patty. Bossing around Charlie Brown, calling him Chuck. And that [bleep] Lucy.....

Of course all this schit shouldnt be new to a geezer, but apparently its a phenomenon thats never been seen.

I also like the old guys wrenching on their own schit, especially when they throw on two parts before they realize it needed to have the computer flashed after the first one went on.

Off to the rawhide mallet and the LEE loader to deprime some cases.....
Originally Posted by gremcat
Funny,
I am starting to see it go the other way. I am the milleniAL

Ahh, 60 year Olds the next social welfare crisis:)

No doubt that there are many phouced up Boomers, (look at Clinton, Kerry, Sanders et. al.) but I bet even Bill Clinton at one time could change the oil in his own car or change a flat. Too many Millennials need to call AAA or have their girlfriend do it for them.

You Gen X & Y guys that can hunt, fish, weld, build a deck are not the subject of this discussion. Time to work on your reading comprehension. It's your Pajama Boy effeminate she males that can make a latte but can't smoke a brisket that we are discussing.

If you've done this recently, you are excused from this topic, You were likely raised right and will lead America to a great future.

[Linked Image]

If you look like this, GFY!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
We have noticed this trend while playing dirty Santa at Christmas.

Around here you can go to jail for that.....
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"That same situation has raised boys without hunting, without fishing, without guns. They have been led by the Matriarchal school system and we have on our hands a bunch of neutered young males that are used to taking orders from women. Some women will like that just fine, but none will ever really respect the neutered male."

Truer words were never spoken.
I am 65 years old. I have dealt with the modern Feminist gals since college in 1970, the beginnings of the modern Feminist movement. I met and was dating many of these modern Feminist gals, hell, they were the only girls around!
These gals say they want a "sensitive" male, a guy who will reveal his inner feelings, a guy who they can talk to.

That is what they say, but they don't really mean it. They will pal around with such a guy, even screw him and marry him, but they don't respect him. In fact they despise the soft, feminized male.

The modern Feminists cannot escape their dna.
15,000 years ago our ancestors lived in Ice Age Europe. It was a brutal life.
The female who chose a soft man, a man who could not stalk and kill the cave bear, the man who could not start a fire, was a female whose children died. And she died, too. Her dna was eliminated.

Back then, for many hundreds of generations, the female who survived was the one who chose a rugged man, the man who could hunt and kill, and eat the cave bear. Who could light the fire, to keep the family warm on the minus 40 degree nights. The man who could fight and kill other men who wanted to take their family over.

For many hundreds of generations, the only females who survived were the ones who chose tough, rugged, fighting men.

So, in accord with Feminist philosophy they say that they want a soft, gentle man. It is a lie.
Their dna demands a tough rugged man who can fight, who can light a fire, who can kill if necessary.

Be careful.

antlers is gonna go off about how gays fit into all this biology...
I dunno a lot, but I try to pass on what I do know when I'm around them and they are willing to learn!

If you are ever around Bob much, you will learn that this is not true. He is a gold mine of information. miles

You nailed it.
Most kids/adults I know who don't like hunting/fishing don't like it because the adult that initially took them sucked at it, and made it a horrible experience. Get good at it, and ANY kid will want to go.

OK, but Give a kid a slingshot or BB gun or better yet, let him get his own, and there's a damned good chance he/she will like to hunt. The TYPE of hunting and the TOOLS and the SUCCESS may vary, but love of hunt comes from the exploration, the wander, the wonder... much of which is lost when kids are over coddled or are not "permitted" to do stuff on their own.

Originally Posted by JMR40
I've known some strong women whom I respect. My favorite mom had 3 sons that played football for me. All were tough, hard nosed kids. I was coaching the youngest during the last year before I retired. He limped off the field after a play and our trainer took him aside to look at him.

A few minutes later I had a chance to ask the trainer if Lance was good to go. The trainer held up his cell phone; the mom sent him the following text, "Give him a tampon and put him back in the game".

THAT is quite a quote from a Mom!
I will tell you this though. After 5 years as foreman in a shop I had a much harder time with the 19-27 year olds not knowing how to read and do simple math than I did with them dressing like chicks or having a hairdo that bothered me.
My dad taught auto mechanics in Boise State's vocational dept for many years. He retired about the time that computers were really coming into play in cars. More than once he talked to me about some of his students who couldn't read or do math. He said that they could be great mechanics but with the new high tech stuff, they couldn't read the manuals or decifer the new diagnostic tools. He didn't have much hope for them in the new world of auto mechanics.
Originally Posted by benchman
My daughter and son in law had a flat tire on her Corolla a couple of weeks ago. He did not even attempt to change the damn tire and called AAA. He honestly had no idea how to do it, and even less inclination to try. He is, by the way, 6'1" and 260 pounds. It is the stuff of doughnuts and junk food, however. Nice guy, but loves fluffy bunnies and Pokemon. Sheesh.

+1 .... My SIL is also a great guy but he will not try to fix anything. If something breaks he will be on the smart phone calling around to pay someone to come and repair it.
Originally Posted by JMR40

What a woman!

Omg can you imagine liberal women seeing THAT?

+1
© 24hourcampfire