Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/28/16
I hadn't seen one of these before. It's a mini ambulance designed for fighting fires and other off road emergencies. It's owned by the Idaho Falls, ID fire dept. AMBULANCE

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
that is nice,wonder what it weighs. looks top heavy.
The article says it's not nearly as top heavy as it looks. The drivers get a special driving lesson including driving it on steep slopes.
Posted By: grovey Re: Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/28/16
Looks cool, but I bet they couldn't steer it with me in the back.
Posted By: msj348 Re: Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/28/16
I'd hate to think that my life depended on a Polaris!
My wife and I will not drive our Polaris any farther from our place than we care to walk. AND we have had to walk more than we like.

Lefty C
Posted By: 700LH Re: Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/28/16
Not much ground clearance
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/28/16
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I hadn't seen one of these before. It's a mini ambulance designed for fighting fires and other off road emergencies. It's owned by the Idaho Falls, ID fire dept. AMBULANCE

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man, it would suck-azz to run a code in the back of that sardine can.
It looks nice and clean inside!
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/28/16
Try it in the back of a 500 defender helicopter.

mike r

A department with money to burn. I'd guess that costs a ton more than a 4x4 van that could go to the same places that does.
Posted By: tzone Re: Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/28/16
Originally Posted by msj348

Lmao
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/28/16
Our local EMA has the same vehicle without the roof and sides. It is just an open back vehicle with a stretcher for carrying people out of remote locations. I've ridden in it and it will go places you'd think it won't.
People around here complain about a rough ride when driven on paved streets.
People who've only used a standard 4x4 can't appreciate what happens when a vehicle has front and rear lockers.
Better odds than a [bleep] Honda.... grin

Posted By: Seafire Re: Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/28/16
I wonder why when the Army got rid of the GamaGoats we had, that they didn't give them to fire dept in the West, the Forest Service etc...

The ones we had that were set up for we Medics to use, were pretty deluxed out and highly capable, in a lot of environments.
None of you all have ever lived in a real remote village.

That thing is a premium ALS ambulance compared to some of the methods that we've used to transport people from remote areas.

Some folks lives have depended on Polaris'.
Originally Posted by Seafire
I wonder why when the Army got rid of the GamaGoats we had, that they didn't give them to fire dept in the West, the Forest Service etc...

The ones we had that were set up for we Medics to use, were pretty deluxed out and highly capable, in a lot of environments.

I could of sworn you said you used a wagon and a mule to move the injured and wounded around when you were in! laugh

My home town fire dept. has one for fighting grass fires
Our volunteer department has something similar.

[Linked Image]
Isn't that guy in the helmet Ingwe? I mean, before he got so old and grey, that is...
Posted By: Seafire Re: Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/30/16
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

I could of sworn you said you used a wagon and a mule to move the injured and wounded around when you were in! laugh

Shhhhhh! don't tell anyone....

We had a tough time getting those gas masks on the mule back in the "Great War"....
Posted By: broomd Re: Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/30/16
Originally Posted by tzone

Lmao

Agree 100%!!
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/30/16
You guys kill me.

I own a couple Polaris machines. Also a Honda wheeler and recently had a Yamaha wheeler.

My Polaris 6-wheeler has been the most reliable machine I've ever owned. Rock solid dependable engine. Only problem I've had is wearing out the sprockets and chains.

I have a Rincon that is alright, but the transmission is the weak link there and it eats batteries.

Ranger has been stellar. Comfortable and reliable. Could definitely stand to have a better emergency brake, but everything else is very good.
Yes Polaris R&D department is the customer!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Polaris off-road ambulance - 07/30/16
They've had them at fire school as long as I can recall...

They work good for close quarters and shorter trips.

Expensive but if it fits the bill the best why not?
We have the open sided version at work except ours is on the Kubota diesel chassis. it is awesome for extricating patients from remote areas as well as crowded fairs/events.
© 24hourcampfire