Home

Took the kayak to the river near my house this morning. Fish were biting like crazy . Caught 15 smallies or so then broke off my grub i was using. Well i forgot my takle bag so i paddle back to the landing to get it. Got to the truck and tied on another lure and got back to the river bank wheee i. Slipped on the muddy bank and broke the small bone in my leg. Had to crawl back to the truck to get my phone with my foot just flopping around. They put it in a fiberglass splint until sometime this week. They say its going to need screws and plates .
srw,

that sucks, while having fun too.

Heal up soon, take care of that leg so it doesn't affect you too much later in life.

Hope it's all better by hunting season.

Good luck with it..

Geno

PS, don't forget to follow the physical therapy!!!! when you get to that point.
Bummer. Looks like you'll be getting caught up on campfire political threads for a while!
Posted By: Gus Re: Oh, what a fun day, broken leg - 08/06/16
woods & outdoor accidents can happen at the most awkward times. stepped in an overgrown rotted out stump hole one time, and just ruined my ankle.

with enough rest, doctors can do almost miraculous things nowadays. just go easy with it.
shocked sick frown
Heal quick..

At least you were in front an international audience..

But the important thing is, you caught 15 Smallies !!!

Heal soon, the bass are waiting.
Bummer. Wife is starting to get ticked when I head solo to remote areas for extended trips. I point out that she'd have to deal with a really pissed off hubby for many more days if I stayed home. Also, that I did not get this old by being careless.

Got a solo pronghorn hunt coming up this next weekend and plans are to be completely out of touch for 8 days.

With no help available, it pays to be as safety conscious as possible.

By the time you're healed, perhaps you can tell us which of the evils we should be voting for.

Heal up,
Thanks guys , its the out of work for weeks right before hunting season that i hate . Now i want the operation over with so can get well. I learned long to listen to the doc when you break a bone.
get well, take your clacium to grow new bones, my wife likes the Alive brand for the extras they put in it, and she has had to grow lots of new ones.

Off OP, I am jealous of antelope for any amount of time, especially in a place where you can be alone. Didn't draw again this year. As to getting hurt, someone will find and help you.
Hope your leg heals quickly.
Only old farts like me are supposed to do schitt like that! I have one safety measure that saves me:

During the hot weather months I make a job out of holding down my recliner!

It works!
I can relate to you. June 12 I was coming out of the boat onto the bulkhead. All was good until my left foot hit the grass. The left sandal broke, causing my left leg to shoot out. My right toes bent up toward my knee. This cracked the small bone in my leg. It tore the ligaments in my ankle also. A nice man backed my truck and trailor into lake. He helped wifey get the boat loaded. At least I wasnt alone. Had to wait ten days for surgery. That was 6 weeks yesterday. Cast comes off Monday. I'm ready to go back to work. It has been a crummy summer. We were supposed to be in Mexico for 40 wedding anniversary this last week. Lost 700.00 airfare. By the time you add this all up,it will be a 10,000 foul up. I should be OK by hunting season. Good luck!! I know that hurt. Mine did.
Sorry to hear this, wishing you the best.
Hope you heal up fast.

Might be a chance to do some kind of fishing therapy. grin
dang it man! Glad you had cell coverage. Some of the places I go with my truck or kayak have none. Food for thought.
Damn! Sorry!!! That is a bummer. Hoping you have a speedy recovery
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Thanks guys , its the out of work for weeks right before hunting season that i hate . Now i want the operation over with so can get well. I learned long to listen to the doc when you break a bone.

Damn!

Surgery for plates and screws oughta be fun! eek

BTDT.....and I feel your pain!
Buddy of mine broke his lower leg and ankle last September

He hasn't worked since but was cleared to work recently

This guy in these pictures wasn't as bad as my buddy but your going to be laid up for months

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...22/tibial_plateau__fracture#Post11240322
Man, first night a killer. No way to get comfortable for long. I may have slept 3-4 hours max.
I know that feeling. Get well soon.
At least you didn't swamp on a submerged couch like the kayaker in $hithole RIO
you should have just splinted it yourself and went on fishing
Heal fast Heal strong.

My fugging cast off tomorrow. Yee haw. Might get some life back
Originally Posted by bea175
you should have just splinted it yourself and went on fishing
when i first met my old lady, i had walked out the back door of her house and slipped on the steps, broke my arm above the wrist. waited 3 days before i went to the ER becuase i wanted to get a little more.
now that's a horn dog!
That is wanting some real bad
Posted By: RDW Re: Oh, what a fun day, broken leg - 08/07/16
Well that sucks, but you still got two arms to paddle the yak and cast so go fishing!
Well getting around is getting a little easier. Just learning how to do everything while on crutches is a real PITA.swelling has gone down some which is a big help. Supposed to figure out when they will operate today. I hope it soon
I am lucky. I have enough sick days to cover the time I have been off. Hope to go back next week. I have to have full release. No light duty. Crutches suck. You need a knee scooter for around the house. No way to carry something to eat to table. Scooter has a basket on front. I will use crutches to get in to get cast off. Hope to walk out with boot in a little while. I had splint for ten days after surgery. Then cast, which is hot. Cant wait to be able to bathe foot again. Be nice to stand in shower instead of sitting down too.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that! Heal fast, and you can still fish with a cast on, don't forget that...

I was wading down my creek Saturday checking my land and hit about a 50 yard section of flat shale with moss on top. Felt like I was walking on ice, and even going REAL slow it was still tricky with the uneven shale and I was windmilling my arms a couple times to keep my balance. After several spills on mossy boat ramps and muddy banks and streams, won't be surprised if I'm in the same situation some day.
Saw the surgeon today , they are going to do it on friday.
Got that piece of crap off. Have to wear a boot for a while.
Heal up fast, I'd hate to chase those bucks you been seeing.
A quiet invocation for strength and rapid healing sent your way, Sir.

GTC
We go swimming in creek at deer lease, scummy crap on rocks, slippery if you don't have on water socks, gonna be real leary of that now. Thankful to have cast off. Thanks for good wishes
Good luck with surgery. They did a nerve block on my leg just below my knee. Came home with a pump that put drugs in nerve for 4 days. Had splint on it for two weeks, went back X-ray and cast. Cast for 4weeks. Mo Fo is off. It was hot and got funky. Leg wasnt bathed for 2 months. Pump up air boot to walk in now. I took pain pills for a couple of days after pain pump ran out, but they made me sick. Went with iboprofen for a couple more. After that it didnt hurt any more. Let us know how it goes. I'm lucky I had family to help. And sick days!!
Dammit!

Sorry to hear that your day went South so quick. Here's hoping for a quick recovery and no aggravation to your hunting season this fall.
Walked around in boot some today. Took the trash out, was exciting, haven't been able to do anything for two months . Hope to be back to normal by Christmas.
I know the feeling, did this walking away from a shooting bench.

[Linked Image]
Best wishes,

Dale
I think i took the best shower of my life yesterday. Wife ordered me one of those water proof leg caps that fits tight at the top so can at least shower. I sure didn't want to get out after going 5 days without it. Now i'm ready to get this thing fixed.
Your leg ankle is worse than mine was. I tried the leg shower cap. It wasnt too water proof. I had better luck with water proof tape and small trash bags. I hope you have a seat for your tub shower. That will make it safer to get in and out of shower. I feel for you. You have to have some torn ligaments too. I'm in boot, so I'm getting around. Glad you have wife. A single person with no family would be in trouble
I hope you mend before gun season starts. I hate to see your new 243 lefty spend the winter in the safe.

Doc
doc, i hope so to.i don't think i will keep the 243 anyway. i only bought that one because it was to cheap to pass up.

hanco, i have a 5ft shower with built in seats,the leg cap worked great.i don't see how it could leak unless i was to tear a hole in it.
I have really long legs, was barely over the splint. When I got the cast I didn't want to take a chance on getting water in it. It felt clammy enough. Summer is worst time to have a cast. The boot is hot, but I can take it off when I'm sitting around. Dont have to wear it at night. Do you have a knee scooter?? Beats hell out if crutches. I could sail all around the house. Hard to get food-drink with crutches. I'm still using it when I don't have boot on. I will be thinking about you tomorrow. Pain pills-nerve block medicine made me sick at my tummy. I got rid of all of that after 4 days. Take vitamins and calcium supplements. It will help it heal.
Here's mine after surgery. I broke it on August 27, 2013 and still made the Virginia archery opener that year so there's hope for your hunting season.

I asked the surgeon if he ran out of short screws since some of them go the whole way through. He just laughed and never gave me an answer.

[Linked Image]

Mine was cracked at the bottom of that same bone. Tore ligaments on inside. Have you gotten full use back??
I didn't get full use back, but that's my fault.

I didn't take physical therapy as seriously as I should have and started playing rugby again in February of 2014 which probably didn't help my recovery.
If you are playing rugby, you must be moving fairly well. I would like to get back to jogging soon. Helps keep blood pressure down, plus helps keep something else up.
The fibula.
Well, could have been worse, could have been the tibia.
Home from surgery, all drugged up. Doc said it went well.
Originally Posted by coryj
Here's mine after surgery. I broke it on August 27, 2013 and still made the Virginia archery opener that year so there's hope for your hunting season.

I asked the surgeon if he ran out of short screws since some of them go the whole way through. He just laughed and never gave me an answer.

[Linked Image]

That sorta' behavior on the part of these annointed high priest "experts" pisses me off no end,...and I hope like hell that those overlong screws don't give problems, down the line.

Years back when all this "artificial joint" replacement was brand spankety new, I had the not so pleasant task of looking at some X rays of a hip joint butchery that had over long screws rubbing up through a pelvic girdle, into an old friend's lower bowel.

Peritonitis killed him.

They were not round headed, like the ones that appear in your pics, either.

Once a half decent surgeon got all the affected area opened up, I'd WAY sooner have somebody like Northern Dave on the tools, than some of these clowns.

GTC
Well, i've managed to stop taking the pain pills. Its not hurting near as much as i figured it would . Boring long days are killing me, i'm just not one lay around.
I'm glad it went OK. I had first therapy today. Lots if stretching. I guess you have splint? Are you able to work? I can't go back to work until I get full release. It was a terrible summer. Couldnt do anything. Do you have knee scooter? It made it a lot more bearable.
I know how you feel, broke my ankle last September and hope to be back to work this week.

My Story

Unfortunately I'll never get back to 100% as I now have a fused ankle. I decided not to chase elk this year and stick to the plains for deer and pronghorn. I won't earn any vacation for next year either going back to work this late in the year so 2018 will be my trophy bull season.
Sorry to hear this. Hope you heal quickly and trouble free.
I am hoping mine gets back to 100% , I hope srwshooter does too.
leg seems to be gettin better. gota see the doc again on tuesday. bought me nice knee scooter off craigslist this week. haven't picked it up yet,can't wait to give it a try.damn those crutches.
gota see the doc again on tuesday

Good luck with it. I had a broke ankle back in the early 80's and it bothered me for quite a while. It healed OK, just clicked and popped and fronts coming through ached. Finally quit all that, it just took a while. miles
Takes a while, started rehab, it swells, ice it down, go some more, ice it down. Lot of people say the swelling will go on for six months to a year. The knee scooter will help, crutches eat cshit.
I dont plan on messing with this thing for six months. I'll be hunting by mid october.
Going dove hunting the first, sit under a tree, wait for doves to fly by. Dont know how well I will be able to climb up in a tri-pod by bow season. May have to sit in the plywood bow box that is on the ground.
Well , saw the doc today. They took the cast off and did a few x- rays. They said everything was healing great and in good alignment.stitches out and another cast on for 4 weeks. After that a boot.
May 28 I spiral fractured my left tibia and broke a piece off. Sprained my right ankle. They put 2 plates in my left ankle. Not sure how many screws. Apparently I did more than sprain my right ankle even though nothing showed up on the xrays. A week later on June 5 I was walking with my crutches and my right ankle bone "popped". Spiral fracture of my right tibia. 1 plate and 8 screws in it. I'm now walking with a cane and only wearing lace up ankle braces for support.

It sucks, but I'm healing faster than I expected. Still hurts. I was prescribed Percoset but didn't take it very long. Now I just take 500mg of acetominophin and 200mg of ibuprofin at the same time. It works. God speed on your healing.
Glad to hear the good report. I have broken some bones but nothing near that bad. I shudder to think of what your are going through.
here's a picture of my ankle before they removed the stitches. i had these on the outside of my ankle and one more stitch on the other side where they fixes the ligament .looked better than i thought it would. [Linked Image]

Doesn't look like prime entertainment for you. frown

Hang in there!
My scars are on the ankle, inside and outside. I can walk around the house with almost no limp. I see doc monday. Hope I get released to go back to work.
got my knee scooter today,man this thing is great. i got out in my gun room today .its good to bae able to get out some now. i'll try it out in my truck tomorrow.
I just saw this and was sorry to read about the bad break, but I'm glad to see your on the mend.
You broke the bone above your ankle?
Yes i broke the small bone in my leg. Its plated and has 10 screws in it. 2 of them go thru both leg bone and will be removed in 6-8 weeks. My break is almost exactly like coryj 's in the x- ray picture in this thread.
I don't know if yours is better or worse than mine. I hope you get full use of yours back. I'm trying to do exactly as the doc says. You will appreciate the knee scooter. Hate sorry crutches.
leg seems to be gettin better. gota see the doc again on tuesday. bought me nice knee scooter off craigslist this week. haven't picked it up yet,can't wait to give it a try.damn those crutches.

Never had a busted leg but I'm sue it isn't much fun. I have heard guys talk about how sore their arms became from the crutches but they survived and I bet you will too in good shape.

Hang in there!
Yes you get very tired of them. Rub your underarms raw. I think I'm done with them. I hope
Got out of the air boot today. I have a velcro brace that I can use inside my lace up work boots. Got release to go back to work. I'm thankful!!!
I bet that feels better. I am happy for you.
Posted By: EdM Re: Oh, what a fun day, broken leg - 08/29/16
Yes i broke the small bone in my leg. Its plated and has 10 screws in it. 2 of them go thru both leg bone and will be removed in 6-8 weeks. My break is almost exactly like coryj 's in the x- ray picture in this thread.

So was it praying to the good Lord or the Doctor's that made this happen?
Posted By: add Re: Oh, what a fun day, broken leg - 08/29/16

Sweet Moses Brown, start your own Broken Leg thread!

Originally Posted by hanco
I don't know if yours is better or worse than mine. I hope you get full use of yours back. I'm trying to do exactly as the doc says. You will appreciate the knee scooter. Hate sorry crutches.

Yes you get very tired of them. Rub your underarms raw. I think I'm done with them. I hope

Got out of the air boot today. I have a velcro brace that I can use inside my lace up work boots. Got release to go back to work. I'm thankful!!!

Got rid of the air boot. I have a Velcro brace. Learning how to walk again. Going back to work on Friday. Been a long summer.
well the doc is still talking 5 more weeks before i can put any weight on it. got the cast off today. they gave me a boot.here's a pic of my of one of my ex-rays.2 big screws will come out oct 21.

[Linked Image]

my new hunting boot
[Linked Image]
I'm sorry to hear about the injury srwshooter. I'm glad that you were close enough to a phone to get help though.

Hope it heals up fast for you.
That looks awful. I hope they let you keep the screws when they pull them out. They'll make a hellava conversation piece.
Boot is better than damn crutches. I'm limping some, going to therapy. My crash was 3 months ago today. Do what doc says. Are you able to work? I went back sept 2. Thankful I had enough sick days. Hope you get better soon. I know you are tired of the whole damn thing.
well the doc is still talking 5 more weeks before i can put any weight on it. got the cast off today. they gave me a boot.here's a pic of my of one of my ex-rays.2 big screws will come out oct 21.

[Linked Image]

my new hunting boot
[Linked Image]

One of those damn things put a hitch in my getalong and wrecked my back after 2 days. I just laced up some good boots and walked it out.
Boot is better than damn crutches. I'm limping some, going to therapy. My crash was 3 months ago today. Do what doc says. Are you able to work? I went back sept 2. Thankful I had enough sick days. Hope you get better soon. I know you are tired of the whole damn thing.

you are right about crutches,i hate them. no ,i am a remodeling contractor so i'm not able to do anything.i had work lined up going into winter but had to put it all off til spring.
Damn I hate that for you. I very lucky to be paid for the 12 weeks i was off. Lucky Wifey took care of me also. I have pins and screws also. Getting lots little shocks. They say its nerves growing back together. Sometimes feels like I'm getting a shot. They told me to take vitamins and calcium supplements. Putting ice packs helps with swelling. Get well !! I know this sucks where you are at now, but you are ahead if where you were.
© 24hourcampfire