Home
Fire south of the entrance. Smoke across the road. It's being called the Berry Fire. 2000 acres so far.
Prayers offered for the firefighters.
Going to have those tourons backed up 40 miles in both directions. Big mess
Originally Posted by jnyork
Going to have those tourons backed up 40 miles in both directions. Big mess

Let'em go through at their own risk. wink
Took this picture yesterday from Elkhorn Ridge near Big Sky, looking south towards the town of West Yellowstone. It is smoke from the Fawn Pass and Maple fires near the West entrance. There are some big fires burning in several areas of the park right now.

[Linked Image]
I was fishing there all last week. Sunday morning I crossed Targee Pass from Island Park Idaho into Montana 10 miles west of West Yellowstone and the smoke was laying in that valley so thick I could only see about 250 yards.
we seen it a couple of weeks ago when we were out there,What's the weather looking like for the future?
Prayers for the fire fighting and support folks.

Weather will be bone dry and windy for the foreseeable future
Pretty hazy on the Hi-Line right now.

Dave
I remember taking my MIL to Bruce Canyon NP years ago. There was an active fire going on right next to the access road. Very smoky with flames visible right on the road edge. But the park and road were still open.

I zipped right past the flames and smoke, only to be stopped by a "bully with a badge" Momma's boy ranger - for speeding. He was actually going to ticket me when I pointed out my 92-yo MIL wheezing in the back seat. I asked him if I should maintain 35 mph all the way to the emergency room, or not.

And the little twit said "Only until you leave the park."
Can't see The Grand this morning for all the smoke. Jackson was pretty empty last night for a change.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4954/
They haven't updated their map to go with the narrative. The narrative says it's crossed Jackson Lake. I don't see why they're putting structure protection around Flagg Ranch either. the fire is well south of there according to the map.

Then again, I'm just an armchair quarterback. One things for certain. The fire crews are getting one heck of a lot of overtime this season.
The map shows it now. Access to Flagg Ranch is cut off from both directions.
Jacksonholenewsandguide.com has the updated map as well. Wolverine Creek outfitters just had their area go up in smoke. That's two local outfitters that I know of that have been burned out this year. Shoal Creek outfitters being the other. Shoal Creek should still be able to operate their Pilgram Creek camps unless the Berry fire does something really strange.
I'm the better part of 100 miles south of there, but if the wind is blowing up there like it is here, they've got real problems again today.
Mother Nature is improving her habitat again.
A smoke column popped up to the north this afternoon. Could be the Ty Canyon fire that blew up today or a new one.

Lots of forest regeneration going on.
Smoke is really thick in the Wind River Valley and over toward the Owl Creeks, blowing down from Yellowstone.
Amazing how far smoke travels.

I drove through the south entrance on 7/31 and the smoke was pretty thick. But the road was not closed yet. The fire must be pretty close to the highway now.

[Linked Image]

This photo was taken looking South from the north shore of Jenny Lake. You can see the smoke haze in the background. That was three weeks ago.

KC

New fire KC. It jumped the road yesterday.
© 24hourcampfire