Home
Posted By: Steelhead Whatcha Doing? - 08/22/16
Me? Just finished washing the dog with hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/soap. Good times at 1am.

It was a year ago on the 21st of August when he took a bite from a copperhead. I'm not letting him out the last 2 weeks of August again...

Posted By: NH K9 Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/22/16
Skunks and porkys die on sight around my house.......

BTDT enough at this point. Sorry Scott!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/22/16
In the grand scheme of things that can happen to a dog, this is at the bottom of the list. Just happy I stopped the other big one in time.

He's sleeping in the kennel now (normally a house dog). At least it's not freezing outside.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/22/16
Porcupines and skunks are the dog problems we have. Thank the Lord no poisonous snakes! The occasional bear wanders through. We have a fix for all of them, and my wife is a veterinarian in the event of quills. shocked
Posted By: isaac Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Scott...what exactly did your dog do immediately after being tagged, if you know?

Did it come running to you or did he/she go off into the woods to ride it out alone for a while,like my buddy's hunting beagle?
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Porcupines and skunks are the dog problems we have. Thank the Lord no poisonous snakes! The occasional bear wanders through. We have a fix for all of them, and my wife is a veterinarian in the event of quills. shocked
That is a great thing.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Watched a car fire.
Posted By: SEdge Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
NH K9 how do you kill the skunks without making nearly as big of a mess as if they sprayed the dog?
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Tore down a couple rifles and gave 'em a good cleaning. Started sorting through my food stash in the basement. 'Gotta do a better job of keeping up with this stuff. Some of it expired 5 years ago.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
The 2 things that are never missed on the 'Fire: Sarcasm and Rhetorical Questions.
Originally Posted by isaac
Scott...what exactly did your dog do immediately after being tagged, if you know?

Did it come running to you or did he/she go off into the woods to ride it out alone for a while,like my buddy's hunting beagle?

He kept putting he noise towards and pulling away. He went out, I waked back in the house for 30 seconds, when I walked out I could smell it.

Walked to the corner of the porch and saw him, facing a bush in the yard and putting his face towards it, then pulling away. The other big dog was in full charge over there, whilst I was yelling at the top of my lungs. She stopped and came back and he followed.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
I was sleeping, Glad you had a good time. I am also glad it wasn't a cooper again.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Fighting the urge to go fishing. I really need to mow grass.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
BTDT too many times when I ran coon hounds.

When we were kids my brother took a full shot of skunk, up close and personal. He can laugh about it now.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Gonna water pecan trees.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Man I love me some pecan pie.

I am drinking some dark roast coffee, about to take new puppy out.

Then I need to load some 243 rounds and some 223 or 45 Colt also. Tomorrow it will be 480 Ruger.

Got a bud coming over to pick up a basketball net I gave him to give to a kid. May talk him into hitting the club to shoot pistols and rimfires. Got the FEG 61 in 380 ACP I wanna check out........
Posted By: Redneck Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Me? Just finished washing the dog with hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/soap. Good times at 1am.

I recalled those very same times two days ago when I was on the tractor mowing the lawn. I was just approaching the back deck, near the well-head, when I looked up and saw a large skunk leggin' it for the garden. Thank God the bastid kept goin' into the neighbor's corn field..

If both dogs would have been alive (and outside) I'd be doin' YOUR chore X2....

I hate skunks.
Posted By: Jerryv Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16

That mixture works pretty good, doesn't it? We always take the "kit" along on bird hunting trips now.

Jerry
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
I took the dog fishing last night. She stays in the boat after dark!

Crappy pic, but we had one keeper.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigDogBoogie Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Skunks get popped on sight here too. Damn things are bad news for bee hives. mad
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16

On a 1 to 10, how well does that neutralize the odor?
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Yep, need to keep the recipe handy. Is this what works?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Drinking more coffee at the conclusion of another 2hr sat con call, about to go out to the shop and measure the twist rate of a M-70 22 hornet and may fire a couple groups from some newly cast and loaded 700 gr paper patch bullets in my 50-90 Sharps.

It's gonna be a good day. smile
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Assuming a 1 is 'Still stinky as hell' and a 10 is 'Baby Fresh', I'd give it a 10.

Went out this morning and he still had a bit of smell on his snout. Did a second bath, but more baking soda, so it was almost paste like. Coated him well and waited a few minutes before rinsing. I then washed him in Baby shampoo, dried and couldn't smell it at all, anywhere.

As of 5 minutes ago, he was on the couch with the wife.

I'm headed out shortly to replace the 2 quarts of peroxide I had on hand.
Originally Posted by BigDogBoogie
Skunks get popped on sight here too. Damn things are bad news for bee hives. mad

On the flip side, one did completely destroy a yellow jacket nest that I was going to have to deal with. I was right proud of that.
Posted By: BigDogBoogie Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Thanks for the recipe Steelhead, I wrote it down and stuck it on the fridge for future reference.

My German Shorthair hasn't had a run in with a skunk yet but knowing him it's just a matter of time until it happens. eek
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
long time ago when daughter was 16 we were at a softball game. she went in to use the restroom. heard something scratching as she was sitting on the throne. skunk behind the toilet. she ran screaming out of the toilet with her pants down around her knees screaming.
Made her ride in the truck bed on the way home. Then mama used about two gallons of tomato juice etc as i was breaking up in the living room. I thought it rather funny. she didn't
When I was about 13, by buddy and I killed a skunk with our pellet guns. Of course the skunk let it go before it died.

Being kids, we had a tail collection in an old fridge in the woods. So we cut off the tail and added it to our 'collection'.

I can still hear my dad saying 'Get the HELL out of the house' the moment I walked in.
I'm waiting for my dogs to tangle with a porcupine. I've been through the skunk thing before with a siberian husky. Getting the stink out of that under coat just wasn't possible and I used the magic formula.
Posted By: greydog Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Mattie (Airdale) got sprayed the other day. She will probably get it again before the season is done so I won't bother with the washing. Smell doesn't bother much but my wife's complaining about it does. I don't like to kill the skunks if I can avoid it. They eat bushels of grasshoppers and we have plenty of those which need eating.
For myself, I'm planning on another day of work on a retaining wall, then couple of glass bedding jobs, a meeting with a weed guy, then starting to load ammo for an upcoming fullbore match. Also time to organise my pack for the opening of sheep season in a couple of weeks. Glad I'm retired or I wouldn't have time for all this stuff! GD
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Lots of skunk stories probably some I've forgotten....Kept pigeons when I was a kid, mostly Birmingham Rollers. Something was getting into the shed on the back of the garage where I kept my birds and killing some. I set a long spring number one in the only spot something could get in (hey, what kind of kid would fix a hole when there was the opportunity to catch some critter instead?). Went out before school one morning and there was a striper, tail up, stomping his foot...went back in the house, got my stuff together for school, on the way out the door I told Dad, "Oh yeah, I got a skunk in a trap out back of my pigeon loft." You guys can probably finish the story.

Stopped by the first ex-wife's house one day some years ago, thought the skunk smell was pretty bad...seems she'd dropped her cat out the door into the garage/wood shed for the night, right on top of a skunk. She didn't think it was as funny as I did.

Coon hunting one night, I had a real good little redtick English bitch, but we hadn't had a start all night. Brother and I were walking back to the truck with the dog leashed, walking up the roadside, when all of a sudden she hit a hot track. She'd never trashed on me so I didn't give it a thought, slipped her loose....She wasn't ten feet gone when I saw the two little red eyes about fifty feet ahead in my Wheat Light. Oh [bleep]....dog reached the red eyes and a glowing green cloud filled the air in front of us.

Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
long time ago when daughter was 16 we were at a softball game. she went in to use the restroom. heard something scratching as she was sitting on the throne. skunk behind the toilet. she ran screaming out of the toilet with her pants down around her knees screaming.
Made her ride in the truck bed on the way home. Then mama used about two gallons of tomato juice etc as i was breaking up in the living room. I thought it rather funny. she didn't

Reminds me of an incident that happened one night when I was working down in AZ about a hundred years ago....
Me and this gal were riding my motorcycle from Prescott down to Phoenix when we pulled over at a rest stop for a break....you've probably been to that rest stop...there's a skunk in every trash can....well we watched a skunk go in the ladies room and a few minutes later a car pulled up and a couple of girls headed for it....I said "hey there's skunk in there"....I don't know whether they didn't understand me or thought I was a pervert or something but they stuck their noses in the air and in they went....about fifteen seconds later there was two girls and a skunk all trying to get through that door at the same time.....

I was rooting for the skunk..... grin

Posted By: dassa Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16

Do you have your hives on the ground? I never had skunk problems, but a friend who did said to put them on a stand at least 18 inches high. That way the skunk has to stand up to get the bees, and it exposes his underbelly to attack. I followed his advice, which might be why I never had a problem.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
I took the dog fishing last night. She stays in the boat after dark!

Crappy pic, but we had one keeper.

[Linked Image]

Nice red, Rick. Wellcraft in the background looks like my brother's old boat that he beat to schit and finally put to sleep. grin
Posted By: Brazos Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Funny story with my son and a skunk.

Heard the dogs barking, grabbed a shotgun and headed out. Dogs between him and skunk, younger one got sprayed before he could get a clear shot.

Shot the skunk then noticed the sprayed dog headin' for the house about the same time he remembered leaving the door open on the way out!

Had one shell left....

Didn't shoot the dog, but seriously considered it. Then during the clean-up phase regretted not doing it.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Speaking of skunks...momma 'coon and baby were getting after the bugs under the street light earlier tonight at the VA campus, there were three skunks lurking about, too. Here's one of the little stinkers along with momma 'coon:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Scott F Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by dassa

Do you have your hives on the ground? I never had skunk problems, but a friend who did said to put them on a stand at least 18 inches high. That way the skunk has to stand up to get the bees, and it exposes his underbelly to attack. I followed his advice, which might be why I never had a problem.

Carpet tack strips in front of the hives do wonders at keeping the skunks away.
Posted By: hanco Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/24/16
Hard to get that smell out. Some people use tomato juice.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/24/16

Next time try adding Vinegar to that mix, really helps reduce the odor.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/24/16
Use a laundry cleaner that has some enzyme in it. It breaks down the proteins in the odor.
Posted By: Steve Re: Whatcha Doing? - 08/24/16
Lots of skunks. Playful dog. Only a matter of time.

Got soda, peroxide and detergent on hand as well as some skunk-off.
© 24hourcampfire