Home
Posted By: hookeye Close but no cigar... - 08/29/16
Hopped over house (live to the right of farther intersection).
Pic from the web. The old lady drove the same road as pic and turned at the light (was on way home from store), ducked into the school (tunnel a tornado shelter).

F3 I guess, main path about 100 yds north of me, maybe a 200 yard swatch of tree, roof damage in my hood.

Got lower, did worse about a mile east.

I watched it from the gunshop on the highway (where it flattened a Starbucks). Didn't see that, too far away, but saw debris so though it was closer. Nope, musta been a big chunk o' roof.

3 yrs ago I was blinded by grey rain..........that tornado smaller, hit the bank 200 yds behind my truck.

10+ yrs ago watched one from a restaurant, hit the roller rink down the block.

Did not see the funnel like in the pic (due to buildings and tees). Have yet to visual a "classic" tornado form.

The ol lady said she saw it, was always watching the Weather Channel, about tornados. Now that she's see this one, she has zero interest in watching shows about them anymore.

Scared her pretty good.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Close but no cigar... - 08/29/16
Ats surprising that more people aren't moving west of the Rockies.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Close but no cigar... - 08/29/16
Things scare hell out of me, rather a hurricane!
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Close but no cigar... - 08/29/16
Seen 'em (closer than I'd have preferred) and seen the aftermath - best place to be is ANYWHERE else!
Anything that can pick up a 50# salt block, and 1/2 bury it several yards away, has my utmost respect! Those things are NOT very aerodynamic!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Close but no cigar... - 08/29/16
Glad you and the wife are OK.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Close but no cigar... - 08/29/16
Glad you are OK.
Posted By: EdM Re: Close but no cigar... - 08/29/16
Whilst we enjoyed our time living outside Towanda Kansas the night we spent in the shelter was unnerving. The results seen in NW Wichita were bad. We sat there knowing it might come. Being from NorCal and its quakes was easier. Rock and roll without a clue of it coming.
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Close but no cigar... - 08/29/16
I thought this might be about Bill Clinton...

Glad you're alright!
Posted By: hookeye Re: Close but no cigar... - 08/29/16
Thanks guys.
The ol lady is still out of sorts.
Not panicky or anything, just doesn't want to ever see another one.

Guy at work lives in my hood, lower area though. Went right over him. Sound sleeper, 3rd shift........he said it woke him up and the sound was incredible.

The one a week before out in the eastern part of the county.......right by my hunting spot.

Proly go out and find my tree down, stand smashed, atop the skeleton of a 150 class buck.

Posted By: hanco Re: Close but no cigar... - 08/30/16
We don't have too many here. Get a hurricane once in a while. Glad you are OK.
© 24hourcampfire