Home
Posted By: EdM Sully - 09/09/16
Pretty darn good movie.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Sully - 09/09/16
Read that's it is a good one. Of course the investigators said he could of made the airport.

Clint Eastwood movie so I expect it to be good.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Sully - 09/09/16
Thanks, It might be one I pay to see. The last one was Avatar.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Sully - 09/09/16
trying to talk the wife into going tonight
Posted By: EdM Re: Sully - 09/09/16
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Read that's it is a good one. Of course the investigators said he could of made the airport.

Nope, he proves them wrong.
Posted By: EdM Re: Sully - 09/09/16
Originally Posted by Scott F

We got in on a matinee for $5.50. The movie is well done and Hanks is spot on, as usual. The filming of the landing had me emotionally shot.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Sully - 09/09/16
Haven't seen it of course, glad to hear. Let me change that, the computer program said he could make it and the investigators jump on that to go after the pilot. cool
Posted By: Scott F Re: Sully - 09/09/16
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Scott F

We got in on a matinee for $5.50. The movie is well done and Hanks is spot on, as usual. The filming of the landing had me emotionally shot.

Wife and are headed to the farm in WA in the morning. We have to be there for at least nine days. Maybe we can sneak out and catch it.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Sully - 09/09/16
Haven't seen it of course, glad to hear. Let me change that, the computer program said he could make it and the investigators jump on that to go after the pilot. cool

Not really. The movie plays up a conflict with the NTSB investigators to add to the tension. Reality is they were very complimentary of his pilot skills. As an Aviation Safety Officer, who sat on several mishap boards, hard questions need to be asked but respect was always given to the crew. I have no reason to expect that the NTSB is any different.

Of course, in the Navy we were taught to put it on the deck and not the water but....

grin

NTSB report
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Sully - 09/09/16
Originally Posted by EdM
Pretty darn good movie.

Thanks for the tip

I was wondering.....is it a renter or worth the theater price?
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Sully - 09/10/16
Best I have seen in a while.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Sully - 09/10/16
My wife and I plan on going to the matinee today.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Sully - 09/10/16
Yeah, "investigators".. I bet none of 'em could fly so much as a kite.

Definitely..
Posted By: EdM Re: Sully - 09/10/16
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by EdM
Pretty darn good movie.

Thanks for the tip

I was wondering.....is it a renter or worth the theater price?

Theater.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Sully - 09/10/16
I wonder if the simulator measured the downside of trying to return to the airport and failing.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Sully - 09/10/16
This might be sacrilege but anyone else sort of tiring of Hanks as a hero? Maybe entirely unfair but I saw the shot of him as Sully ( who seems to love the limelight himself) and my first thought was of suffering through the revulsion of a moustachioed Travolta playing a Brg. General in Thin Red Line.

I respect what Hanks has done and his abilities but the hero roles are wearing thin on me. Admit it isn't fair or justified but- anyone else?
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Sully - 09/10/16
Originally Posted by Redneck

Definitely..

Sully himself has expressed his dissatisfaction with the way the investigators were portrayed in the movie. He said he never felt the antagonism and accusatory attitude shown in the movie.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Sully - 09/10/16
It's a movie. They HAD to create some kind of personal conflict, just as a writer has to do in a novel. The investigation team is the obvious choice for the anti-hero. The fact that there wasn't any such conflict in real life is moot.

(Except to the folks who were actually involved, that is. THEY might take a bit of understandable umbrage at the way they are depicted.)

As to Hanks always being the hero, can you imagine him any other way?
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Sully - 09/10/16
Like most good Captains, Sully spent decades of his career doing a good job avoiding the limelight.

He found himself in a terrible situation through no fault of his own. I think he has handled the aftermath well, and probably better than most would have. Very few people ever hold so many lives in there hands at one time, and so often.

Several thousand airline take-offs occur every day. The airlines consider every single take-off to be a possible $500 million dollar liability.

Sully is now a celebrity because of his hero status, not the other way around. He did a fine job in his professional role, as does Tom Hanks in his.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Sully - 09/10/16
Well said, good sir.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Sully - 09/10/16
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Originally Posted by Redneck

Definitely..

Sully himself has expressed his dissatisfaction with the way the investigators were portrayed in the movie. He said he never felt the antagonism and accusatory attitude shown in the movie.

I also heard he asked Hanks to give the investigators fictitious names so they wouldn't be hounded by the media after the movie came out. A man of character right there.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Sully - 09/10/16
A veteran pilot friend of mine had flown that same plane about a month before Sully's landing it in the Hudson, when I asked him about the landing he just shook his head. He told me there was absolutely zero margin of error and that Sully had made a perfect landing under the most difficult of circumstances.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Sully - 09/11/16
Saw it today and thought it was worth watching. Clint has made some good stuff.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Sully - 09/12/16
The wife drug me and the kids to see it Friday night as our HS football team was on the road.

It was a whole lot better than I thought it was gonna be. Really wasn't looking forward to it, don't care much for movies I know how they end. This was much more than I expected.

As usual, Hanks was very good.

I didn't know it was an Eastwood movie till the credits, another good un from Clint.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Sully - 09/12/16
Topped the box office take this weekend, earning $10 million more than projected--mostly due to the large proportion of viewers who were 35 or older. grin
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Sully - 09/18/16
In the movie there is a scene where on the night of the event Sully is getting settled into a hotel room. The hotel staff asks if there is anything that he needs. He asks to have his uniform dry cleaned.

Here is a true tidbit that didn't make the movie. Sully lived in the San Francisco Bay Area. Like many pilots living there, he got his uniforms from a small tailor shop in San Mateo that has specialized in pilot uniforms for decades.

On the day of Sully's event, as soon as the pilots' names were released the tailor shop's staff checked their records to see if they had Sully and Jeff in their records. They did, along with all their measurements and details of their uniforms.

They knew the pilots could use fresh new uniforms. They immediately put together two, new correct uniforms and got them on the FedEx plane that very night so that the next day they arrived at the hotel where Sully was staying. All without being asked or being paid. A show of support from their hearts.

The movie pays tribute to all the first responders who acted that day. I am sure there were many "second responders", also, like these tailors and the hotel staff that also deserve credit for showing the good side of mankind.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Sully - 09/18/16
Eastwood commented the other day that Sully should be running for pres.

...damned if I don't agree.

GTC
Posted By: Pugs Re: Sully - 09/18/16
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
In the movie there is a scene where on the night of the event Sully is getting settled into a hotel room. The hotel staff asks if there is anything that he needs. He asks to have his uniform dry cleaned.

Here is a true tidbit that didn't make the movie. Sully lived in the San Francisco Bay Area. Like many pilots living there, he got his uniforms from a small tailor shop in San Mateo that has specialized in pilot uniforms for decades.

On the day of Sully's event, as soon as the pilots' names were released the tailor shop's staff checked their records to see if they had Sully and Jeff in their records. They did, along with all their measurements and details of their uniforms.

They knew the pilots could use fresh new uniforms. They immediately put together two, new correct uniforms and got them on the FedEx plane that very night so that the next day they arrived at the hotel where Sully was staying. All without being asked or being paid. A show of support from their hearts.

The movie pays tribute to all the first responders who acted that day. I am sure there were many "second responders", also, like these tailors and the hotel staff that also deserve credit for showing the good side of mankind.

Very neat! Did not know that.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Sully - 09/18/16
It's a good movie, and of course, some liberties are taken in movies! It's just how movies are made and Eastwood is one of the very very best at the craft. Sully was in a very very bad spot when the Bird strike occurred, he had to make the decision and he didn't have much time to think about it! The River was really the only option, and it all worked out, due to real skill in flying and a good bit of luck!
Posted By: Muffin Re: Sully - 09/18/16
AS a pilot, ATP-CFIAIME and former Air Traffic Controller.

GOOD movie, only one line where I 'might' have said, BS, they wouldn't say that. It was a NY Controller, and maybe he did say it. I've heard controllers say some crazy stuff.

One of the most attended I've been to in about a year!

Worth a ticket.....

Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Sully - 09/18/16
We went to a matinee yesterday. Good movie, probably the best I've seen this year, along with 13 Hours (about Benghazi).

Our little theater in town was only about half-full, probably because it wasn't an action picture. Not enough shootemup, bangbang noise.

The real story had more drama than any of "those" movies.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Sully - 09/18/16
Good Movie. My wife even enjoyed it.
© 24hourcampfire