Home
Want to bet on executive action on this soon?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...-make-the-nyc-bomb/ar-BBwm3UG?li=BBnbcA1

The bomb that exploded in Manhattan on Saturday contained residue of Tannerite, a legal product that's primary use is for target practice, which explode only when struck by a bullet from a high-powered rifle.

The brand-name product is defined as a "binary explosive" by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firerams and Exposives (ATF). This means it's sold in two inert pieces, said Jimmie Oxley, a chemistry professor at the University of Rhode Island, who added that it is not an explosive until the two parts are mixed.

The two separate parts are ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder, Oxley said. She added, however, that even when the two parts are mixed, it still won't explode: It still needs the impact of a bullet to go off.

Tannerite cannot be set off by a smoldering fuse, an electronic fuse, an electrical current, an open flame, impact with a hammer or even a low-velocity handgun, according to Steve Yerger, a corporate investigator for Tannerite.

It's a very stable product, he said.

The tannerite link to the Manhattan bombing came from a federal law enforcement official, who spoke on condition of anonymity Monday because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation.

The point of Tennarite is for its users to easily determine whether their shot hit its intended target, Yerger said. Tannerite can be obtained in many sporting goods stores, the Associated Press reported. It's also available on the Tannerite website.

"We feel horrible that Tannerite has been associated with the bombing," Yerger said,

On its Facebook page Monday afternoon, the company said that "Tannerite Sports, like most, is now aware of the tragic events that took place in New York City and New Jersey on Saturday, September 17, 2016. The entire staff of Tannerite stands together in the abhorrence and unintended use of all products that are misused for violence and hate."

"It is unfortunate and sad to see products designed for safe and fun use in many manners to be linked to such hateful use and that innocent people are hurt in the act. Tannerite has worked directly with the FBI to help stop such events and we encourage the public to read the FBI Advisory that we developed in working with the FBI."

The ATF does not regulate the sale and distribution of the two chemicals used in Tannerite and similar products, even when sold together in binary "kits," the ATF said.
I told the boys at two lgs's that "T" was not long for this world. It was one news worthy incident away from extinction.
I wonder if it was used as a secondary explosive to increase the deadly potential of the entire device? Obviously no one shot it with a high powered rifle.
If it will only explode when hit by a high powered rifle, then how was it set off? Something doesn't sound right.
I suspect when they articulated it as a partial detonation, what they are implying is that he probably had the pipe bomb detonate and was hoping that would act as booster charge to set off the main tannerite charge which probably failed.
i think theres a herd of pigs in texas that would like to see it illegal.
Originally Posted by Sako76
If it will only explode when hit by a high powered rifle, then how was it set off? Something doesn't sound right.

Like I said, was it used as a secondary explosive compound just after the primary
explosion occurred? People will experiment and use stuff beyond its manufactured intent.
Did someone experiment with a third compound to mix with T. thus making it more susceptible to detonate?
We used to use a stick of dynamite to set off anfo on the farm for blowing tree stumps. Yes it (dynamite and blasting caps) was legally obtained back in the 1970's.

I think that was even inconsistent when my uncles did it, and created more of a mess than just burning the stumps with a brush pile and diesel than was warranted.
I'm surprised that "hold my beer and watch this" type fun was ever legal to begin with.

Originally Posted by Bocefish
I'm surprised that "hold my beer and watch this" type fun was ever legal to begin with.

Yeah me too
The chief components of Tannarite are ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder.

Mixes based on these chemicals produce a whole host of common explosives that are in use the world, and are often used commercially in mines (ANFO) and is also a favourite with the terrorists around the world from the Troubles in Northern Ireland to Afghanistan.

Terrorists often use Ammonium nitrate fertiliser as the source, and although it works, its less effective than "pure" ammonium nitrate produced specifically for the task.

Typical Ammonium Nitrate based IED's need a small amount of C4/SEMTEX type explosive to get them to detonate properly.

Confining the explosive in something like a pressure cooker also helps to get the mix to detonate properly.

RE the recent bombs in NY, as Tannarite is patented, I assume it may have a few other chemicals to make it more suitable for its intended purpose,and its overall chemical signature is what has enabled the Fed's to identify it specifically....
Never tried, but I have a rough plan in my head using 12 voltlightbulb, and black powder to make an electrical booster. Need to work on that one day. wink
Originally Posted by Sako76

That's not the only way to set it off. A detonator will certainly set it off.
Funny where this world has gone. My Great-great-Grandad 'built' the duck pond I plan to shoot opening day with TNT from the hardware store, I'm guessing, and probably spiked up with their version of ANFO of the day (1930's). It's starting to fill in now and would sure be nice to recreate with similar technology.

If I thought for one second taking Tannerite out of circulation would stop even one IED domestic, or abroad, I'd get behind it. Problem is, it won't. The precursors are not that complicated. Much easier than Meth, Heroine and Cocaine to make...check youtube for recipes. Yet all of that illegal crap is everywhere?!?!?!

We NEED to start getting serious about those that walk freely on our streets before we can seriously discuss tannerite.

Originally Posted by rem141r
i think theres a herd of pigs in texas that would like to see it illegal.

they can see any more
What is stopping tannerite going to do when acstone peroxide and tang bomb info is out there everywhere?
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Funny where this world has gone. My Great-great-Grandad 'built' the duck pond I plan to shoot opening day with TNT from the hardware store, I'm guessing, and probably spiked up with their version of ANFO of the day (1930's). It's starting to fill in now and would sure be nice to recreate with similar technology.

Outdoor Life had articles back in, perhaps, the 70s or thereabouts which detail the work of the USFWS to build artificial ponds using ANFO out on the prairies to enhance waterfowl habitat. Seemed like a good idea; pictures looked.....pretty dramatic.
Making Tannerite illegal will work about as well at stopping terrorism as more gun control would be at stopping crime.
More liberal pipe dreams

I'd be more than happy to not experience the Rambo wannabe fumb ducks using it at the local range any more. Just sayin' . . .
I remember a while back there was a youtube video of a couple geniuses who packed a riding mower with some tannerite, and shot it up with an AR-15.

When it finally blew, a flying piece of the mower took off one of the shooter's feet.

Apparently It can be pretty dangerous in a confined detonation.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I'd be more than happy to not experience the Rambo wannabe fumb ducks using it at the local range any more. Just sayin' . . .

That and shooting the 50 BMG at the 100 yard targets. I actually stopped and looked around when someone set off some Tannerite recently. My initial thought was that someone's new plastic rifle hadn't contained a handload that was only slightly smarter than the gun's bearer. When crap landed right in front of my station after the second target was hit, I wasn't surprised. I did get a bit of a surprise another time however when I was burning up a bit of leftover ammo in offhand practice. I was picking out random junk out on the range and must have run a 400 grain lump of lead through a target that had been left behind....way too close to the firing line. shocked
Tannerite as far as I know is likely a registered trademark product.
I'm betting the bomber used a combination of ammonia nitrate (fertilizer) and aluminum powder (fireworks, chemistry supply). Well to save time maybe he bought some targets, we will never be told the truth on this one either way.

The list of easily made explosives available to the scumbags to use is quite extensive. At least that is what I have heard.

What he used to initiate the explosion is likely something we will never hear, authorized to speak or not agent/officer.

Originally Posted by LouisB
I'm betting the bomber used a combination of ammonia nitrate (fertilizer) and aluminum powder (fireworks, chemistry supply). Well to save time maybe he bought some targets, we will never be told the truth on this one either way.

I wondered that myself..If it turns out the scumbag used a homebrew mix, surely the company behind Tannarite would sue the Feds?
Register farmers. ;-{>8
I love Tannerite.

Dave
Executive orders??? Tannerite??? Check...
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I remember a while back there was a youtube video of a couple geniuses who packed a riding mower with some tannerite, and shot it up with an AR-15.

When it finally blew, a flying piece of the mower took off one of the shooter's feet.

Apparently It can be pretty dangerous in a confined detonation.

Put three pounds in a riding lawnmower and shoot it standing 75 feet away?
Darwin award candidate no doubt.
Note the accent...

Isn't he up in AK guiding now? I didn't know what his last name was until this thread.
I BLEW MY LEG OFF!

I fugking die laughing every time I watch it. The blood on the camera lens makes it extra UBER.

Dave
Originally Posted by deflave
I BLEW MY LEG OFF!

I fugking die laughing every time I watch it. The blood on the camera lens makes it extra UBER.

Dave

Only you would admitt that

A couple weeks ago I went to one of my customers and the lined up 4 junk PWC (personal water crafts) and we put a pound in the hull and blew them up
It was awesome

The tiger sharks blew to pieces
the Yamahas stayed together very well very impressive

I had my Mini Howa in 223 and it got to do the honors

Hank
The ATF does not regulate the sale and distribution of the two chemicals used in Tannerite and similar products, even when sold together in binary "kits," the ATF said.

The ATF may not regulate the components, but someone does.

There are lots of strict storage regulations for Ammonium Nitrate, and you have to sign for it when you buy it.

A few years ago I could make a phone call and have tons delivered to my place but now lots of dealer don't even sell it.
Originally Posted by LouisB

The list of easily made explosives available to the scumbags to use is quite extensive. At least that is what I have heard.

What he used to initiate the explosion is likely something we will never hear, authorized to speak or not agent/officer.

I've seen reports there were traces of "a black gunpowder"
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Register farmers. ;-{>8

They already have to sign for Ammonium Nitrate and Anhydrous Ammonia
They won't allow us to fart before long
It wasn't residue that they found
Originally Posted by Chris_EOD
It wasn't residue that they found

So it didn't even go off?
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

+1
Originally Posted by boatboy

I had my Mini Howa in 223 and it got to do the honors

Hank

Nice.

Dave
© 24hourcampfire