Home
Very interesting video

Glock's work-- always
Not surprisingly, Chinese AK's just go forever.
Very delighted to hear how well the SCAR is doing...it's one of my favorites.
I think those guys need to swap shirts
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I kick myself regularly every time I'm reminded of the fact that I bought a Polytech Legend AK-47 package brand new in the box for $600.00 back in the early 1990s from my next door neighbor. Still had the greased cardboard straw down the bore. Never fired. And then I sold it a few years later for not much more than I paid for it. Those things go for several thousand now a days.
know the feeling! i used to by a case lot of sks's for 17.50 a unit. sold them from 49.95 to 89.95.
shoulda woulda coulda.
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Glock's work-- always

No they don't.

I am a big time Glock proponent, and consider them "Best of Breed", but nothing "always works".

It is a mechanical device, therefore it is subject to failure.

all schit breaks, 1911's and Glocks do. Burn't a Chicom AK down but it took a while
Originally Posted by deerstalker
know the feeling! i used to by a case lot of sks's for 17.50 a unit. sold them from 49.95 to 89.95.
shoulda woulda coulda.
I bought four Russian SKS rifles, factory new, for $100.00 each back in the 1990s. Sold one to my brother at cost. Kept one to this day. Sold two for twice what I paid. Made $100.00 on the deal in the long run, and still have one. My brother still has his, too. He takes his sons shooting with it from time to time. I guess they're going for a good bit more now.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Glock's work-- always

No they don't.

I am a big time Glock proponent, and consider them "Best of Breed", but nothing "always works".

Yep. I've had stoppages with my 42, but in Glock's defense, they altered the magazine design. When I exchanged the mags for the new ones it worked perfectly. My 30S had stoppages from day one, too, but Glock has yet to rectify it. They claim my thumb is knocking the slide release into lock position, thus explaining the slide locking back with rounds still in the mag, but I know that's not the case. Not sure if I should keep sending it back to Glock or sell it.
Glock's work-- always

No they don't.

Anyone who shoots a lot you will eventually see a malfunction with almost any firearm . I've shot many thousands of rounds through Glocks and have experienced malfunctions only rarely. Most were probably ammo related. Nothing works 100% but I think Glocks set the standard for reliability in pistols.
Glock's work-- always

No they don't.

I've seen a good number of Glocks fail; they're mortal
Th two most reliable handguns I've ever seen are a MK III Hi Power and a Beretta 92/M9. But a Glock will typically out last either of them.
Glock's work-- always

No they don't.

Exactly...
Seems that the AR platform fared quite well in their experience also.

Hammer springs wear out after a few thousand rounds.

Lugs can occasionally break off a bolt after a few thousand rounds due to heating-cooling cycles.

Both can be replaced and run the weapon again.
Glock's work-- always

Nothing mechanical always works. The Glock is reliable. I would say the only gun more reliable is Makarov designed in the Soviet Union.
Glock's work-- always

No they don't.

If they start out working they normally continue to work. However, my new 30s didn't work from day one - failure to feed. It did this at least two to three times each magazine with hard ball ammo. Tried different magazines, same story.

Glock after replacing the recoil spring three times said to return it. They said that they would only accept the gun if it was sent Fed Ex overnight shipping and stated that they wouldn't pay for the shipping ($90). It turned out that the extractor was defective and was replaced. It now functions as it should have, but I am still mad about having to eat the shipping charges!
If i worked a job where i put my life on the line every day then my carry gun would be a Glock, i trust them over every other handgun on the market to work when needed
Originally Posted by CraigD
If they start out working they normally continue to work. However, my new 30s didn't work from day one - failure to feed. It did this at least two to three times each magazine with hard ball ammo. Tried different magazines, same story.

Glock after replacing the recoil spring three times said to return it. They said that they would only accept the gun if it was sent Fed Ex overnight shipping and stated that they wouldn't pay for the shipping ($90). It turned out that the extractor was defective and was replaced. It now functions as it should have, but I am still mad about having to eat the shipping charges!
I'm ready to send my Glock 30S back to Glock for the second time for locking open when there's still ammo in the mag. They didn't fix it the first time, claiming that I must be pushing up on the slide stop under recoil, which I am not. I won't pay the shipping, though, because the store I bought it from has a policy of paying for this during the first year after purchase, regardless of how many times it needs to go back for warranty service.
Thirty thousand rounds per month is just insane.
be interesting to see how the HK VP9 fairs as time wears on. HK makes some pretty good pistols. so were the older Sigs 22X series.
There are some Les Baer 1911s out there with some pretty impressive round counts.
I have a Glock 19 I bought about 3-4 years ago. It only has about a 200 rounds through it.
I had a few rounds of gun show reloads I got from my brother and had a Kaboom with the last one fired. Blew the magazine right out of the pistol.
Case failure at the unsupported ramp area. Stung my hand pretty good. Disassembled and inspected it, grabbed some factory ammo and kept shooting.
So far my Glock hasn't done the ejected case to the face that was plaguing Glocks a few years ago.
I saw an L frame Smith & Wesson at a Indoor range which was a rental gun.
The inside of the barrel was smooth like a shotgun.
Interesting test and good information.

Only thing I can add--this is a pristine range application. No rain,no mud, no sand, etc.

This is not a patrol through jungles, deserts, ghettos, etc.

Still extremely informative
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I have a Glock 19 I bought about 3-4 years ago. It only has about a 200 rounds through it.
I had a few rounds of gun show reloads I got from my brother and had a Kaboom with the last one fired. Blew the magazine right out of the pistol.
Case failure at the unsupported ramp area. Stung my hand pretty good. Disassembled and inspected it, grabbed some factory ammo and kept shooting.
So far my Glock hasn't done the ejected case to the face that was plaguing Glocks a few years ago.

There is not a chance in hell I would shoot gun show reloads that Joe Bob the mouth breather, who picks up discarded range brass and throws together whatever cheap powder he can find, then sells at gun shows through my gun.

People have bad things happen with "reloads" like this, then want to blame the gun. crazy
Ok, so Glock's don't always work, but they always work better than most.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Very delighted to hear how well the SCAR is doing...it's one of my favorites.

I have one of those AKs. Milled something or other chicken tracks brand.

It has run forever. Its also very sucky at hitting things once you get to 200 yards.. yeah I probably can hit you somewhere every time.... but I wouldn't bet on a head hit every time.

Given my good ARS, I could hit you in a specific eye every time with a good rest....

I shot high master HP scores most all the time at the end of our career... went out and shot it with my AK... I dont' know if I even broke the minimum for marksman, though I did keep all rounds on the target the whole time at least, that means on the paper...

That said we are grasping hard for a glock 10mm that will fit the wifes hands.. the gen 1 does not... sure hoping to find a SF one and see if it was a waste of 600 bucks or not...
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Thirty thousand rounds per month is just insane.

and if I might add, just a wee bit spendy.
I was just in Vegas for business, I noticed they have a lot of shooting places now. They pickup customers at the hotel in HUMVEE's, and it looked like they a lot of them. Glad to see that many people take interest in shooting, hopefully it brings a few more to our ranks.

I'm guessing those places must shoot 500k plus rounds a month, that's a lot of ammo.

Had the same thing happen with a Star Firestar 9 with the same results except the magazine wasn't damaged either.
yeh, I knew better than to use that ammo but I stupidly did it anyway. The Glock held up well to what was probably a double charge.
about 27 years or so ago I watched a friend blow up a 45 Grizzly win mag with gun show reloads. It did a number on that pistol. my friend was not wearing safety glasses and was bleeding at several places on his face. Damn lucky nothing hit his eyes, Also he was lucky that pistol had Pachmayr grips instead of wood or he would have received some nasty splinters or worse.
The blast swelled the magazine so it could not be removed from the pistol.
Originally Posted by CraigD

My G30S has been flawless so far, but it has not had anywhere near the rounds through it that my 9mm Glocks have had. That said, I continue to be impressed with the G19 sized G30S.

It sort of reminds me of an updated equivalent to a Lightweight Commander. In shooting the G30S, and a Colt LW commander, I have noted that the G30S is considerably easier to control during recoil, and shot to shot recovery times/split times are faster. Great gun.
I'm a 9mm GLock (Glock 43, Glock 17 and Glock 19) diehard.

There's a lot to like and nothing to dislike IMHO.
also, I have a line on a Yugo SKS at $400?

Buy it?

I'm thinking house gun that if taken as evidence, no biggie.
What I find most entertaining is how some cheap guns really last. The Romanian AKs that have been best in class, the PSA ARs, etc.

I don't care how durable the AKs are. I'll probably never warm up to them. They just don't shoot worth a damn. I was out with the boy the other day with a FAL and a Norinco. He shot that FAL with some mangy ball into a little knot. The AK, he put a few shots together before the barrel started walking. The things just don't shoot past the first few rounds.
Originally Posted by BarryC

Had the same thing happen with a Star Firestar 9 with the same results except the magazine wasn't damaged either.
Those Star Firestars were very well made.. Heavy bastids, but a ton of features for the money.. I had one for a couple decades and sold it for the P-9 I have now.. It never failed me - but I never put yuge numbers of rounds through it..
© 24hourcampfire