Home
Posted By: RWE New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
Well, congratulations Mohhammad. First thing I thought was if its an accident, negligence or Terrorism.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/2...-station-multiple-injuries-reported.html

Long for the good old days when it was just a drunk conductor...
Something tells me this was not an "accident"
Posted By: dsink Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Work place violence? whistle
Posted By: Paul_M Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Could be but I also would not be surprised to find out the conductor was distracted by a cell phone. Have to wait and see what they find out.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
I've read a number of reports and still haven't figured out how a train can leave the tracks and hit a building. Is there any better info on what happened?
Posted By: RWE Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
As soon as the alternative narrative is written, you'll know what happened.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
If it was indeed an accident, they'll have to explain how the engineer screwed up and also how the automatic braking system failed.

If it wasn't an accident, they'll claim it was "workplace violence" and call for more gun control.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've read a number of reports and still haven't figured out how a train can leave the tracks and hit a building. Is there any better info on what happened?

This, I would imagine the conductor and engineer have done this thing(coming into a station) for quite some time. They would have both been very distracted for this to happen
All the tax money that crooked corrupt POS state takes in and they cannot even install a speed monitor on the train like they promised. I guess writing the welfare checks, setting up sanctuary cities and letting the infrastructure crumble are more important things to the LIBTArds that run that chitthole.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
If you want to learn how to run a railroad.....you best go to Europe to find out!!

They still believe that if a train isn't ON TIME....that a P-47 will blow up the engine!!
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
We shall see
Mechanical failure?
Operator error?
OR?
Posted By: EdM Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by TBREW401
We shall see
Mechanical failure?
Operator error?
OR?

This, once the investigation concludes. Until then little matters.
Posted By: CCCC Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
In many big city rail stations - particularly in commuter settings - incoming trains don't run past the station. They are shunted onto parallel sidings that line up adjacent to one another and actually end in the station. If someone messes up and does not brake the train, it will run smack into the cross platform in the station. If the train is traveling at a sufficient rate, it can pile up into the station building. Have never seen this, but often looked around and wondered what it would be like. Now, I know.
Posted By: Snyper Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by RWE
Well, congratulations Mohhammad. First thing I thought was if its an accident, negligence or Terrorism.

Why make assumptions with no evidence?

It's not hard when the train is inside the building when it leaves the tracks.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by RWE

Why not?

You side with them with no evidence to the contrary.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
If it was indeed an accident, they'll have to explain how the engineer screwed up and also how the automatic braking system failed.....

There is no automatic braking system. That stuff is still in the works on most railroads, and it was reported that this line has not implemented it yet. And the correct term, BTW, is "positive train control" or "PTC". The only other such devices I am aware of in use in the US is the deadman device that stops if the engineer leaves his seat or the alerter that must be acknowledged by the engineer at intervals or else it stops the train. Neither of those devices can stop the train automatically just because the train runs out of track.

Now, if the engineer screwed up, that will likely come out as the data recorder is downloaded. The crew's cell phone records will also be examined - you can be sure of that. The most recent version of inward facing cameras (I don't know if this line has them, but the major railroads are installing them) also has a cell phone detector that records any use of phones in the cab - which is grounds alone for permanent dismissal, even without any accident (truck drivers take note).
I read the train stopped for a block and was running 15 mph into the terminal, a stub track. It's not uncommon in this kind of operation to have to wait for a track at the station "throat" (track switches).
You stop, then usually proceed at "restricted speed" or "yard limit." That's "prepared to stop short of all obstructions and stop signals."
So, the engineer duly stopped, then came up to the usual slow speed and then blew his final stop brake application. The headhouse is only about a car length from the end of track. And at that speed, the stopping distance is quite short, so I would be amazed if any conductor or train employee except in the first couple of coaches would notice no brakes in time to pounce on the emergency brake cord.
And putting a brake trigger on the spur? No....the commuters like it better the closer the engineer stops to the post.
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I read the train stopped for a block and was running 15 mph into the terminal, a stub track....

Nope - that is not a 15mph collision. I've seen those....this ain't even close, IME.
From the CNN article...

The NTSB hopes video from two cameras on the train will yield clues

This probably means there was a camera on the nose looking forward (that's the one that kills lawsuits from drivers who run crossing gates or signs and get hit) and an inward facing camera. They don't have the option of shutting them off, like some other cameras that have been in the news lately.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by RWE

Why not?

You side with them with no evidence to the contrary.

Now you're just making up BS with no evidence.
Why can't you just stick to reality?

Posted By: RWE Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/30/16
reality is it's one of those things I listed (short an act of God)

You'll notice that I didn't assume one over the other, just pointing out given terrorisms proliferation, that it would be added to the typical list of options.

I guess next you'll try to tell us stereotypes are bad?
RWE -

PROFILING IS WRONG!!!!
Doncha know.

smile smile smile
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/30/16
Originally Posted by CCCC
In many big city rail stations - particularly in commuter settings - incoming trains don't run past the station. They are shunted onto parallel sidings that line up adjacent to one another and actually end in the station. If someone messes up and does not brake the train, it will run smack into the cross platform in the station. If the train is traveling at a sufficient rate, it can pile up into the station building. Have never seen this, but often looked around and wondered what it would be like. Now, I know.

In 1953 at Union Station in Washington, DC a runaway ran into the station and fell through the floor into the basement.

http://ghostsofdc.org/2012/06/21/runaway-train-union-station-1953/
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 09/30/16
The interesting part of this article is that within 2 days, they had the passenger cars pulled out, a temporary floor built and the engineer was back at work.

How long will it be before they settle the Hoboken crash? I'm sure the investigation will go on for years and they probably won't have the station open for at least a month. Lord knows when the engineer can go back to work, that's if he isn't locked up.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: New Jersey Train Crash - 10/04/16
It appears that there may be a pattern of disregard for safety in play...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nj-transit-was-probed-over-safety-hoboken-crash-source-n658096

But then again.....maybe not.....

http://www.snopes.com/new-york-tele...arre-warning-before-hoboken-train-crash/
© 24hourcampfire