Home
The track of Matthew will roughly parallel the U.S. southern Atlantic coast through Saturday night, but a track along the coast or just inland from near Cape Canaveral to near Jacksonville, Florida, is likely from Friday into into Friday night. Landfall by a hurricane along this stretch of coast is extremely rare."Since the mid-1800s, when reliable records have been kept, no Category 4 storm or greater has ever made landfall along the upper Atlantic coast of Florida," Kottlowski said.
AccuWeather
Damn! George Bush's hurry-cane machine strikes again!!!
Hurricanes have no script to follow and can take some crazy paths (e.g: Wilma, Katrina). But, meteorologists have gotten good at predicting storm tracks. A couple scenarios for Matthew are actually pretty wacky.

We are still in the possible strike zone (south FL), but more probable landfall is currently predicted farther north of us (Jupiter, and up - Port Canaveral, Melbourne, Sebastian, Jax, or above).

Wind has picked up with some small deadwood tree limbs smacking the hurricane shutters.
There was one like Matthew back in 1715. It sank all but one ship of a 13 ship fleet and we are still cleaning up the mess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1715_Treasure_Fleet

[Linked Image]

Ya just can't trust a drunken sailor.
Hurricane Dora, in 1964, was, I believe, the first recorded hurricane to hit Jax. There really has not been one since.
They are very complacent up there. Took me two days to talk the daughter into coming down here.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Hurricane Dora, in 1964, was, I believe, the first recorded hurricane to hit Jax. There really has not been one since.
They are very complacent up there. Took me two days to talk the daughter into coming down here.

Dora

Dora had a direct hit on my home town, north of Jacksonville. I was 17 at the time. No one evacuated back then, we just hunkered down and took it!

One of the many reasons why I now live in WA state, right on the coast. We don't have any stinking hurricanes!

Looks like my home town will take a direct hit from Mathew. Gonna be much worse than Dora was!!!!! Glad I now live far, far away.
© 24hourcampfire