Home
... was just on. Tom Doniphon and Sheriff Heck Tate from To Kill A Mockingbird are two fictional characters that I admire.
Good ones, and those are a couple of my favorite movies.
I would add these characters to such a list:

Rose Sayer . . . . The African Queen
Lt. Dan Taylor . . . . Forrest Gump
Marshal Will Kane . . . . High Noon

Haha!

Big Jake was on before that!
Ethan Edwards, John Wayne in the Searchers
I thought Andy Devine's performance was nothing but stellar, as usual!!!!

Sorry. I'm a big side kick fan!!!!!

Don't forget Jams Steward.
And Jack Pennick behind the bar! Another old John Ford Stock Company Icon, and China Marine from the old Breed!
I have never liked The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance for some reason. I also don't like The Shootist. The Searchers, True Grit, They Were Expendable, El Dorado, Rio Bravo, The Alamo.
5sdad, My wife and I just watched that again(we've got it on dvd) a few weeks ago. Great movie! memtb
"That's my steak Valance! Pick it up!"
That was a huge porterhouse!
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
"That's my steak Valance! Pick it up!"

Always liked this movie as one of my favorite Wayne movies. I rate it right up there with "The Searchers."
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
And Jack Pennick behind the bar! Another old John Ford Stock Company Icon, and China Marine from the old Breed!

According to his bio at Wikipedia he served under John Ford in WW2, as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Pennick

Pennick joined the United States Marine Corps and served with the Peking Legation Guard in China in 1912. He was with the Marines in World War I and reenlisted in the United States Navy in September, 1941, at the age of 45.[1] He was promoted to commissioned warrant officer (chief photographer) in December 1942[2] and served in the Field Photographic Unit under Commander John Ford. Pennick was awarded the Silver Star medal for action in North Africa.[3] He died
Originally Posted by joken2

Pennick joined the United States Marine Corps and served with the Peking Legation Guard in China in 1912. He was with the Marines in World War I and reenlisted in the United States Navy in September, 1941, at the age of 45.[1] He was promoted to commissioned warrant officer (chief photographer) in December 1942[2] and served in the Field Photographic Unit under Commander John Ford. Pennick was awarded the Silver Star medal for action in North Africa.[3] He died

Oh yeah! Ford went hunting him to work for him. I believe Ford was instrumental in getting him in the Navy! He was "Doc" in They Were Expendable if you remember!

And what a big sidekick Andy Devine was. smile

Love this movie.
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

And what a big sidekick Andy Devine was. smile

Love this movie.

"Hey Will Bill!!! Wait for me!!!!"
My favorite line from The Duke in that film,

"My boy Pompey; kitchen window."
"What kind of man are you, dude?"

Classic.
Well, Andy Devine was okay as a "sidekick," but he was small potatoes next to Gabby Hayes and Smiley Burnett (aka Frog Millhouse). Now those guys were "sidekicks!" grin

L.W.

Oh yeah! Ford went hunting him to work for him. I believe Ford was instrumental in getting him in the Navy! He was "Doc" in They Were Expendable if you remember!

Yea, now that you mentioned it. I do remember him.
My earliest memory of Andy Devine was on the Saturday morning Tarzan show, with froggy
[quote=kaywoodie]And Jack Pennick behind the bar! Another old John Ford Stock Company Icon, and China Marine from the old Breed!

Oh yeah! Ford went hunting him to work for him. I believe Ford was instrumental in getting him in the Navy! He was "Doc" in They Were Expendable if you remember! [/quote]

Oh man, that scene in "They Were expendable" when the Navy boys left Doc, who wouldn't leave, and the camera stayed on Doc as that look crossed his face and he grabbed his jug and rifle.
We are blessed to have such movies made about our Servicemen and women. Today you have have to have comic book heroes in order to display heroism and sneak it past the Politically Correct.

Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
[quote=kaywoodie]And Jack Pennick behind the bar! Another old John Ford Stock Company Icon, and China Marine from the old Breed!

Oh yeah! Ford went hunting him to work for him. I believe Ford was instrumental in getting him in the Navy! He was "Doc" in They Were Expendable if you remember! [/quote]

Oh man, that scene in "They Were expendable" when the Navy boys left Doc, who wouldn't leave, and the camera stayed on Doc as that look crossed his face and he grabbed his jug and rifle.
We are blessed to have such movies made about our Servicemen and women. Today you have have to have comic book heroes in order to display heroism and sneak it past the Politically Correct.

I know the scene, I think that was Russell Simpson. "Pop" in TWE. Another regular from the John Ford Stock company. Pennicks Doc character was the old Navy Chief Who was a Corpsman. He's was getting ready for retirement when the radio announced Pearl had been bombed!
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Well, Andy Devine was okay as a "sidekick," but he was small potatoes next to Gabby Hayes and Smiley Burnett (aka Frog Millhouse). Now those guys were "sidekicks!" grin

L.W.

I always prefered Smiley Burnette over Pat Buttram! wink.

And Gabby rocked!

Its on right now.

Liberty Valance Defeated!
"BEERS NOT DRINKING!!" is my favorite line.. wink
Thank you sir. I should have checked before I posted but I get excited when I find keen minds with similar likes. That is why I love the Campfire.
No you are all good Brother!!! It's easy to do with all the good old time character actors they had back then! Russell Simpson is another one of those that could "look and act" the part!!!
Pat Brady, Roy Rogers Tv series sidekick sure had me confused as a kid with him driving Nelly Belle, helping Roy, Dale and Bullet chase down bad guys, while most of the rest of the show was old west themed.

One time dad and mom were talking about moving to another state following construction jobs. I started in trying sell them on moving to Texas because I believed it was still the wild west there. Dad told me Texas was no longer like portrayed in the shoot-em-up cowboy movies I loved anymore.
Me, 'Oh, yes it is, too, Pat drives Nelly Belle'.
Pat Brady, Roy Rogers Tv series sidekick sure had me confused as a kid with him driving Nelly Belle, helping Roy, Dale and Bullet chase down bad guys, while most of the rest of the show was old west themed.

One time dad and mom were talking about moving to another state following construction jobs. I started in trying sell them on moving to Texas because I believed it was still the wild west there. Dad told me Texas was no longer like portrayed in the shoot-em-up cowboy movies I loved anymore.
Me, 'Oh, yes it is, too, Pat drives Nelly Belle'.

I had a pedal-car Nelly Belle.
I suppose Walter Brennan was my all time favorite sidekick!!!

Bustin" then clods with my own bar feet!!!
Ever note, Old Rivers never planted, or picked, just plowed the same field, over, and over?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ever note, Old Rivers never planted, or picked, just plowed the same field, over, and over?

Just like "Wagon Train". Where the heck were they going??? laugh. Gawd I went into mourning when Ward Bond died!!! I loved that guy!!!! Never got Into the John McIntyre wagon boss series.
Ok! "Big Jake" is on again!

Ol' Bruce Cabot is another good one. Look up his real name!!!! LOL. And from Carlsbad NM!
We seem to have drifted off the original topic, but, on Bonanza, the reins just tossed over a bush seemed to keep the horse in place till the gun fight was over.

On Wagon Train, did they get Shanghaied on the Barberry coast once?
Sundance is killing it this weekend eh Bob?

Pale Rider was on earlier.

Hopefully Rio Bravo comes on. I could do with some Stumpy this weekend.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Cabot
"I had my scattergun trained on em the whole time!!!!"

Bob, what was the name of the actor that played the cowardly Sherriff in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence ?

Walter Brennan was my favorite sidekick too!
Andy Devine

See some earlier posts in this thread. I believe he was raised out in Arizona.

Thanks. I could not think of it. He played in a lot of westerns.

Forgot to mention that the dog in "Big Jake" was Lassie with a black dye job.
Lassie in Black Face??? !!!!??? Oh the horror!!!

Is that a fact?

The dye job makes "dog" pretty ferocious!

Kinda like a woman who dyes her hair red......
Ok! "Big Jake" is on again!

Ol' Bruce Cabot is another good one. Look up his real name!!!! LOL. And from Carlsbad NM!

I looked it Cabot's real name up. Boy, I bet when he was a kid it was tough trying to learn how to spell and write all that out in full.

Sounds like he had a bit of a shady side to him too.
Lassie in Black Face??? !!!!??? Oh the horror!!!

Dats prejudice wink
I cannot ever think Andy Devine without also thinking Chill Wills.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I cannot ever think Andy Devine without also thinking Chill Wills.

Yep. I always get those two mixed up.
Ben Johnson in anything.
other good sidekicks were Jack Elam and Ben Johnson.
Originally Posted by model70man
Ben Johnson in anything.

Agreed! One of my favorites! Loved him in "The Last Picture Show" too.
Sam the Lion! There is something about black and white movies.
Andy Devine

See some earlier posts in this thread. I believe he was raised out in Arizona.

"Well the Pops are sweeter and the taste is new, they're shot with sugar through and through. Kellogg's Sugar Corn Pops . . . Sugar Pops are tops!"
A few more memorable heroes:

Rick Blaine . . . Casablanca
Marge Gunderson . . . Fargo
Randle McMurphy . . . One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

I have no problem with black & white, either, ... as long as it's a "talkie".
Boot Hiil....Boot Hiill...so cold....so still.
Capitaine Louis Renault - Casablanca

"I'm just a poor corrupt official."

Lot of memories stimulated here. One favorite character actor and part that come to my mind is Slim Pickins as the bomber pilot in Dr Strangelove. Cracked me up.

According to the owner of Bald Mountain Outfitters, he is buried on the mountain we elk hunted under in the Wind River range northeast of Pinedale, Wyoming. He said Pickens came and hunted with him regularly.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I have never liked The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance for some reason. I also don't like The Shootist. The Searchers, True Grit, They Were Expendable, El Dorado, Rio Bravo, The Alamo.
...damm...I'm sorry....4 u
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I have never liked The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance for some reason. I also don't like The Shootist. *The Searchers*, True Grit, They Were Expendable, El Dorado, Rio Bravo, The Alamo.

lol

Ethan Edwards

There's no sarcasm emoticon.
I always liked Leo Gordon.
Always played a great bad guy.
A true bad ass at one time.
But a hell of a nice guy.
Originally Posted by BB3

Pompey was played by Woodey Strode, a star on the 1939 UCLA football team. He served in WWII in the Pacific.
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Originally Posted by BB3

Pompey was played by Woodey Strode, a star on the 1939 UCLA football team. He served in WWII in the Pacific.

My dad always spoke of Woody Strode and Kenny Washington playing on that team. He would say they were much better athletes and men than Jackie Robinson.

That movie had too many great lines. Another favorite is when Strother Martin, in a panic,called the Doctor out to the street where Liberty Valance lay dead.

Doctor:"Whiskey!" (takes a swig) "Dead!"
My favorite movies too
Ben Johnson in anything.

I agree. Never saw him in a role I didn't like. Real cowboy too.
Ben Johnson in anything.

Yup... Favorite western actor of all time. He was the real deal.

For sidekicks/comic relief Chill Wills and Waler Brennan are my picks.. Anyone see The Rounders with Glen Ford and Henry Fonda? Classic Chill Wills in that.
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

I believe he did a heck of a bunch of screenwriting too!!!

Liberty Valance is in my top 5 movies John Wayne was in.

Pat Brady, Roy Rogers Tv series sidekick sure had me confused as a kid with him driving Nelly Belle, helping Roy, Dale and Bullet chase down bad guys, while most of the rest of the show was old west themed...

Yeah, that really threw me for a long time. Everybody was riding horses and carrying sixguns and lever action rifles and having shootouts except for one guy driving a jeep. Even when I was 5 years old I knew they didn't have jeeps in the old West.

I was probably about 37 years old before I figured it out...
Does anyone remember how Andy Devine got his high pitched voice? He was on Ralph Edwards 'This is your life' and told the story. He was out of work and no prospects so he stuck his head in the oven but instead of dead he ended up with a funny high pitched voice that helped him get several jobs. Don't know if the story is true but Andy said it was.
I heard it was a childhood accident. That a window Curtain Rod he his and sister(?) were playing with, got shoved thru his upper palate. Eventually heeled leaving him with that voice.
Kinda like I also heard Jack Elam lost his eye at a Boy Scout meeting from an errantly placed pencil. Dunno?
I heard that story too. You may be right all I know is this is what they told on "This Is Your Life" and Andy agreed with the story.
What did they say in Liberty Valance?

"When the Legend becomes fact, print the legend!"

LOL! Probably so!!!! laugh
Did you ever note that John Ford had Swedish characters as well as Irish. The couple that ran the restaurant in Liberty and the parents in The Searchers. Vera Miles was a looker back in the day. Had a little fire in her too!
Jack Elam told me that he lost the eye control in a auto accident.
I had the great fortune of being neighbor to a gentleman by the last name of Coffe from Coffeeville TX. became good friends and was included in poker nights when his friends from AZ came around.
Both Jack Elam and Ben Johnson got a little richer off me!
Originally Posted by hatari
Did you ever note that John Ford had Swedish characters as well as Irish. The couple that ran the restaurant in Liberty and the parents in The Searchers. Vera Miles was a looker back in the day. Had a little fire in her too!

Sure was!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Jack Elam told me that he lost the eye control in a auto accident.
I had the great fortune of being neighbor to a gentleman by the last name of Coffe from Coffeeville TX. became good friends and was included in poker nights when his friends from AZ came around.
Both Jack Elam and Ben Johnson got a little richer off me!

Sure works for me!
Originally Posted by hatari
Did you ever note that John Ford had Swedish characters as well as Irish.

He also must have been a Southern sympathizer, because he sure liked having ex-Confederates as some of the main characters. That was especially so in my two favorites, The Searchers and She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

I believe he did a heck of a bunch of screenwriting too!!!

Yeah. When he got married he found happiness.
My sister in law worked a lot with his wife. So when we went to plays or such he was usually there.

Nicest guy. BIG dude.

When they made a prison movie where he had been an inmate they kept 2 guards with him........but none of the other actors .......seems he left quite an impression.
© 24hourcampfire