Home
Posted By: northern_dave my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
I visited Cabela's east grand forks store on Sunday.

I went straight to the gun counter, I asked to see a Kimber micro 9 and a sig p239 at the same time. I compared the 2, found both very interesting, handed them back to the counter worker and said thank you.

Then I went to the knife counter with my 12 yr old son. Nobody was working the counter so I asked a cashier if she could call someone to the counter. Shortly afterwards a young man appeared and began helping us. We asked about a case brand fixed blade hunting knife with a stacked leather grip. He found the only one left in the storage cabinet but pointed out to us that the handle wasn't as nice looking as the one in the display case. Another young man was helping him at this point as they looked for a nicer one but this was indeed the last one.

I asked if we could buy the display unit, they agreed that was a good idea. They were very polite young men and their compliments on the choice of knife truly enhanced the experience for my son's first hunting knife. (He was smiles from ear to ear, huge eyes, very excited)

As we were heading up to pay for the knife, ine of the young men says "oh, hold on" as he scribbled on a piece of paper "10%off, display" and said "here, give this to the cashier.

I smiled and thanked him.

We paid and left the store.

The end.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Colo_Wolf Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
grinning
Posted By: rem141r Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
thats outrageous
Posted By: SamOlson Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Sweet!
Posted By: 4ager Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
The audacity...the nerve...the humanity....

Posted By: Steve Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
He looks rightly pissed. I'd write a strongly worded letter to the store management. laugh
Posted By: Calvin Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
I bet they couldn't even count your change back to you.
Posted By: SKane Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I went straight to the gun counter, I asked to see a Kimber micro 9 and a sig p239 at the same time. I compared the 2, found both very interesting, handed them back to the counter worker and said thank you.

You could have been more vague in your request;
Perhaps, "I'm looking for a gun to shoot" then expect them to read your mind. whistle smile

BTW - nice gift for the lad!
Originally Posted by SKane

Perhaps, "I'm looking for a gun to shoot" then expect them to read your mind. smile

Perhaps next time.

Lol

:Grin:
Posted By: pullit Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Good luck getting that kind of service from Bass Pro, heck the store we have, not sure they would know what a knife was.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Ahhh The ole first knife day, I remember mine well. In many ways it was more important to me than getting my drivers license.

Great picture Dave.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Nice traditional knife there. Will last a lifetime and then some. Great choice.
Any cuts yet?

Gees man, sometime in the last year, "Plays with Matches" has stopped looking like Plays with Matches. Got yourself another teenager.... wink
Posted By: Bobmar Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
That sounds like the Cabelas of 25 years ago! I sure wish they'd go back to what made them successful. This story is a perfect example.
Posted By: old_willys Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Received the Cabelas flyer 2 weeks ago with the Swarovski sale, I was in the Reno, NV area Oct 7th so I stopped in. After wanting them for several years I went home with a marked down pair of SLC 10x42's.

Three days later I get a Cabelas email stating all items 10% off, by that time I am home 500+ miles away. Call the store to see if I can get the discount and the optic's guy did not know how to do it but found a managers that could. Received my discount to my Cabelas card two days later!

The $1999 glass ended up being $1439
Posted By: MadMooner Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Whoop!

Time to go stab some schit!!!
Posted By: BC30cal Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Dave;
Good evening to you sir, thanks for sharing your positive experience with us.

That said sir, how can picking up the first knife for an offspring be anything but positive. wink

Oh, congratulations to the young man on that fine looking blade by the way, I hope he gets to make it bloody soon!

Thanks again, all the best to you and your fine family and good luck on your remaining hunts too Dave.

Dwayne
Posted By: deflave Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Drove past a Bass Pro Shop in 2008. One of the cars in the employee parking lot had an Obama sticker on it. Since they bought Cabelas I won't give either my business.

Also have not seen a movie in 15 years.

And I refuse to watch any youtube that has Alec Baldwin in it.

Ass Hole Galore
Svetty balls is a little bit funny.

Just saying.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Is that a Mills shirt?
Posted By: colodog Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Your youngster seems to be growing up, glad you are keeping pace and making memories!
Posted By: mmgravy Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Can't wait to see the knife bloodied.... Great choice in a fixed blade! My Dad gave me the same basic style Case knife my first first year of hunting.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Is that a Mills shirt?

I think so
Posted By: 700LH Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Man is that boy growing, looking like a fine young man, hope he bloodies that knife soon.
Posted By: ironbender Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/19/16
Best. Day. Ever.

So far...
There were a lot of zoomy "tacticool" knives at the store. I would have understood if Joey picked one if them, but I was really happy that he picked something a bit more traditional for his first knife.

An additional bonus was the fact that this case knife was actually made in the USA. That brightened my day, I had thought case, old timer and some others had farmed all their manufacturing out to China years ago.
Oh, and it's light weight. Like surprisingly light.
Posted By: 4ager Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/20/16
Case closed down all offshore stuff and brought everything back to the US when the economic collapse happened. Everything (or almost everything) they make is made in Bradford, PA; same as Zippo.
Originally Posted by 4ager
Case closed down all offshore stuff and brought everything back to the US when the economic collapse happened. Everything (or almost everything) they make is made in Bradford, PA; same as Zippo.

That's UBER.

Very good to know.
Posted By: tzone Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/20/16
That sounds good to hear 4ager.

I have an 11 year old boy that needs a knife as well.
He seems to get a bit suckered in plastic and tacticool. But he does know we like to buy USA products.
Sleepy head morning photos. Joe is home with me today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MagMarc Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/20/16
Good job Dave! Case is still my favorite knife, the young man has excellent taste.
I visited Cabela's east grand forks store on Sunday.

Then I went to the knife counter with my 12 yr old son. Nobody was working the counter so I asked a cashier if she could call someone to the counter. Shortly afterwards a young man appeared and began helping us. We asked about a case brand fixed blade hunting knife with a stacked leather grip. He found the only one left in the storage cabinet but pointed out to us that the handle wasn't as nice looking as the one in the display case. Another young man was helping him at this point as they looked for a nicer one but this was indeed the last one.

I asked if we could buy the display unit, they agreed that was a good idea. They were very polite young men and their compliments on the choice of knife truly enhanced the experience for my son's first hunting knife. (He was smiles from ear to ear, huge eyes, very excited)

As we were heading up to pay for the knife, ine of the young men says "oh, hold on" as he scribbled on a piece of paper "10%off, display" and said "here, give this to the cashier.

I smiled and thanked him.

We paid and left the store.

The end.

[Linked Image]

And everyone was HAPPY. That's the way it should be.................... Nice young man right there.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/20/16
smile

COOL !

1 week & 2 days till predicted usage !
Posted By: SKane Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/20/16
Originally Posted by SKane

Perhaps, "I'm looking for a gun to shoot" then expect them to read your mind. smile

Perhaps next time.

Lol

:Grin:

And be prepared to "turn heel" with great exasperation. You might consider sharing your experience about it here too. whistle
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/20/16
Sleepy head morning photos. Joe is home with me today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Most excellent! cool
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
smile

COOL !

Hey Paul, if I didn't have to work today, we could be hunting right now!

Youth firearms season runs from today through Sunday. We will be hunting tomorrow by this time.

I'd be out there at camp with Joey tonight except I have an appointment to get a cortisone shot in my shoulder tomorrow AM.

We're heading out to hunt as soon as that's done.

(Knife could be in use as soon as tomorrow!)

Posted By: saddlering Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/20/16
Good going Dave! Hope the lads gets to Bloody that Knife this weekend!
We're hoping!

Wacka-dooo!

Sign from this mornings sniff on out at the killing grounds.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/20/16
Good job Dave, he looks like a happy camper.

My father gave my son his first knife when he was about 7 or 8 years old for Christmas. It was a little Swiss Army Knife. My mother was against it, but my father insisted and said he'd be OK and not to worry. We stressed to my son not to use it unless we were supervising him and he agreed.

New Years Eve, we were getting ready to go out and the kids were down stairs. My son had got a toy truck for Christmas and it was still in the box, zip tied. He figured he'd cut the zip ties with his new knife. A minute later my daughter runs into our room screaming that he cut himself. We ran down stairs and it looked like a murder scene. He stuck it right through his middle finger. He's a tough guy and took it in stride, he was more afraid of us and that he was in trouble. The finger is OK.

My mother used the old "I told you so" line.

He's 25 now and starting to make his own knives.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Good job Dave, he looks like a happy camper.

My father gave my son his first knife when he was about 7 or 8 years old for Christmas. It was a little Swiss Army Knife. My mother was against it, but my father insisted and said he'd be OK and not to worry. We stressed to my son not to use it unless we were supervising him and he agreed.

New Years Eve, we were getting ready to go out and the kids were down stairs. My son had got a toy truck for Christmas and it was still in the box, zip tied. He figured he'd cut the zip ties with his new knife. A minute later my daughter runs into our room screaming that he cut himself. We ran down stairs and it looked like a murder scene. He stuck it right through his middle finger. He's a tough guy and took it in stride, he was more afraid of us and that he was in trouble. The finger is OK.

My mother used the old "I told you so" line.

He's 25 now and starting to make his own knives.

That's awesome!

"you'll shoot your eye out!"

lol!

And now he makes knives, UBER!
Posted By: EdM Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/20/16
Very nice. I still have my first knife that my Dad bought me when I was eight (1970). Same basic design as Joe's but made by Western.
smile

COOL !

Youth firearms season runs from today through Sunday. We will be hunting tomorrow by this time.

I'd be out there at camp with Joey tonight except I have an appointment to get a cortisone shot in my shoulder tomorrow AM.

Well, that's even UBERER !

Good luck to CBJ & Mini-T !!

Hope to see success & great memories !
smile

COOL !

I say he'll be using using it Friday night.

Chickenbuck youth hunt!! Whoooo looooo looooo loooo
That's an awesome story Stonecutter
smile

COOL !

Well, that's even UBERER !

Good luck to CBJ & Mini-T !!

Hope to see success & great memories !

For the first time...my baby girl is headed to CB!! And she's excited about
It!! Ms. Kennedy may be the one this wekeend. She's been a busy girl with her diving, but she's ready for a break.
Tom, you takin both chillens, or just Ms K ?

I bet it's gunna be a hoot !
Both!p
Jealous of you guys with the knives from your dad's. My dad didn't hunt. I had to trade my way into a hunting knife from a classmate in 7th grade. I somehow had a worn down Schrade trapper that another other kid really wanted. I traded him the trapper and 5 bucks for a large Kershaw hunting knife(was probably hot). Still have it around here somewhere..
Posted By: slumlord Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/20/16
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Jealous of you guys with the knives from your dad's. My dad didn't hunt. I had to trade my way into a hunting knife from a classmate in 7th grade. I somehow had a worn down Schrade trapper that another other kid really wanted. I traded him the trapper and 5 bucks for a large Kershaw hunting knife(was probably hot). Still have it around here somewhere..
I did have 7th grade trade story. Not knives but coins.

Kid would come to school hungry and no lunch money, he'd trade me a Barber half-dollar for my lunch.

I'd gladly skip lunch for one of those. Got several off of him. His idea.
Posted By: rost495 Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/20/16
Must all be a lie....
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/21/16
Originally Posted by tzone
Both!p

cool crazy cool

Hope it is a great weekend for all you guys !
Posted By: Teal Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/21/16
Cool - I remember the first one I used. It was a Marbles that my great-grandfather had given my dad back in the late 60's - given when, most likely made by my great-grandfather and likely "hand select" in the quality department.

You always remember the first.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/21/16

I was in Gladstone,MI. couple weeks ago….stopped in at Marbles. Knives now come from China.
Posted By: Teal Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/21/16
Originally Posted by cisco1

I was in Gladstone,MI. couple weeks ago….stopped in at Marbles. Knives now come from China.

I have a picture somewhere of my great grandfather in the knife room from 1927 IIRC. He retired from Marbles back in the 70's. Was the Knife Room foreman/supervisor etc. His son in law, my dad's uncle followed him then.

All the Marbles stuff we have around our place is the old stuff from the 50's and 60's - safety axes, compasses, poly-chokes, knives and a NIB Gamegetter. 22lr over 410 I believe. And yeah - NIB with ATF stamp from back in the day.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: my Cabela's experience - 10/22/16

Andrew,

Very nice ..........

Best,
Chuck
© 24hourcampfire