Home
Simple.... her new engagement ring looks like this....

[Linked Image]

I had the pleasure of helping her son kill his first deer today... and she helped him dress it out. That's an awesome gal!
When I followed mine through stinging nettles along the licking river near Morgan, Ky I knew I was going to ask the right one! She never complained about the nettles. I was about to "cry"
When she said that she was going fishing... did I want to come along.
When she told me.
Good on you. She must be a great gal.

My Mom alway dressed her own deer, while Dad was taking pictures. LOL

My wife tolerated me and my 11 year old G-dauhter processing a bull elk on her dining room table. She was not happy! But she tolerated it. My wife helped wrap the roasts and chops, but that is as close to bloody as she is going to get.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
When she told me.

shocked laugh cool
I never did. She advised, after three years of living together, that we should get married. I said OK.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
When she told me.

shocked laugh cool
And I always listen to my wife. whistle grin
Back in the late 80's I was working for the Forest Service seasonally and trapping/calling coyotes in the winter. One season we had a late start to winter and we kept working into November so I was trapping nights and working days.

Etta and I were just dating at the time and she went with me one night to check traps. I ended up with 11 coyotes that night. About midnight I was hanging the first one up to skin knowing I had to be at work in eight short hours. Etta was about to leave for her apartment but came out to the fur shed and told me, "if you'll show me how, I'll help you skin."

I proposed on the spot. Didn't figure I'd get a better offer. That was 26 years ago and we still like each other.
After 35 years I must have made the right choice
If she said no.

Great story.
When I would pack and leave for months at a time with little intel, she was always there on my return, always there, trusting, steadfast, gracious and caring by my side through it all.
Working on 44 years now! I saw how she treated her dad (old enough to need help), how she kept everything up, with no mom (died when she was 12), common sense, pretty as they come. She let me share in her burden, helped me with my parents when they got needing it. Now she is slowed with being older and the things that come.

When young you cvannot really know what the future brings, but a compatible marriage works through itd all.
Originally Posted by gunner500
When I would pack and leave for months at a time with little intel, she was always there on my return, always there, trusting, steadfast, gracious and caring by my side through it all.

I never was gone for very long at a time but she was all of that for fifty years and four months. When the preacher said 'till death do you part, we took him seriously.
Originally Posted by gunner500

Spot on Jerry. The last six years of my career had me away for months in whatever Bum-phook "Egypt" I was working at the time. She more than managed the three boys and they let her know of it all of the time. Every birthday or Christmas card they give has her break down in tears. I truly feel for those that have less stout partners.
I'm starting to get the "hint"

Been nigh onto 41 years. smile

I'm slow! smile

Uh, when she still loves you after eating the wedding cake?
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Simple.... her new engagement ring looks like this....

[Linked Image]

I had the pleasure of helping her son kill his first deer today... and she helped him dress it out. That's an awesome gal!

I remember a story by Finn Aagard about how he met his wife. She had shot an animal in Africa and then dressed in a skirt dove right it and helped dress it. He decided right then she was the woman for him.
43 years next month; I'm beginning to think she was the right one.
But I didn't ask, I was informed.
Her birthday was today and she got a new Ruger LCP.
We were born same month, day & year. (She's three hours older)but I never mention it. grin Everyone said it would't last being born under the same sign. Been 51 years now and likely still won't last, just have to wait and see. Needless to say, she is very patient and has overlooked many of my faults. GW
Affirmative Bigbuck and EdM, I for a damn fact, and maybe all three of us do not deserve such!

EdM, I couldn't and wouldn't try to make a marriage work without a solid Woman, insecurity is pointless walking in the dark, wouldn't have it.

I do owe my life to my Wife, without Her and my Mother, I'd have spooled up and spun out decades ago. smile
Dogshooter congratulations man, glad to hear it.
Congrats on the boys first deer too....that's a big milestone for him and for y'all too.......I remember how it made me to see my son do the same.

Wheres the pic of this deer and hunter?
I would say when after 34 years,you LOVE HER more than you did when you got married and I did not think that was possible.
Married 50 and together 54 so I think we made right decision.
When she shows a new hunter the right way to pluck a wild turkey and still laughs at the mess she left in her daughter's kitchen helping the son in law butcher his first deer, sawzall isn't really the right tool for that.
I am at 49 years with the love of my life. She helps me with the big game, puts irrigation pipe together with me, and a zillion other things. We are a team.

I am a lucky guy.

I met mine at the local athletic club, She had just finished hiking the Colorado Trail, Denver to Durango, I had admired her legs from across the room. I was telling a workout partner about my successful archery elk hunt and she came over to listen to the last half. She said since she missed the first part maybe I could buy her a cup of coffee and tell her the whole story.
Nice OP and thread. It may take a while - maybe longer for some than for others. When we married I knew she was very smart and highly principled, had a good heart, was loyal and was absolutely lovely and desirable.

That's good stuff for openers, but the truly great evidence appears during those early hard times, in the challenges of raising children, the career choices and growth, and some other deep issues later in life. It's been 56+ years and somehow I know, for sure, and love her more than ever.
If you don't wake up neutered there's a sign.
Originally Posted by mart
Back in the late 80's I was working for the Forest Service seasonally and trapping/calling coyotes in the winter. One season we had a late start to winter and we kept working into November so I was trapping nights and working days.

Etta and I were just dating at the time and she went with me one night to check traps. I ended up with 11 coyotes that night. About midnight I was hanging the first one up to skin knowing I had to be at work in eight short hours. Etta was about to leave for her apartment but came out to the fur shed and told me, "if you'll show me how, I'll help you skin."

I proposed on the spot. Didn't figure I'd get a better offer. That was 26 years ago and we still like each other.

I remember you'd posted this before. I remember you making this post and a couple of posts made by Scott about his father and I think about them often. Little things...

Ok, lunch break is over. Wife and I need to get back to spreading fescue. She marks my end, mid, and start points so I know the path to follow on the next run. She keeps me pointed in the right direction on a lot of stuff.....
Outfitter i worked for proposed to his wife as they passed each other on the trail humping moose meat out.

Said seeing her bloody and working hard figured she was the gal for him

I had to get married as she was pregnant

With our third kid

Just figured it was time
Marriage is the finest thing in the world...assuming both parties are fully engaged and on the same page spiritually. Wish you the best my friend....my wife is my best friend and soul mate...best decision i EVER made.
When the question of "Right girl to marry," comes up I am reminded of the following story.

Joe and Frank had been good friends since high school. Both went to the same college and were roommates there. Joe was just an ordinary young man, average in looks, while his friend Frank, was an exceptionally handsome young man.

Frank was extremely charming, had a smile and teeth that a movie star would have envied, a physique like Tarzan, and the girls said he was so hung they nicknamed him "Tripod." He was very intelligent and he graduated with a 3.9 grade average in electrical engineering.

Frank dated and bedded the most beautiful girls on campus without any effort. In fact, most campus beauties called him and begged him to take them out. Whereas his good friend Joe, as most young men, had to often work hard for a date with a pretty girl.

After graduation, Joe and Frank went their separate ways pursuing their own careers and they lost touch with each other. Six or seven years later, Joe happened to be passing through the city where Frank lived so Joe got in touch with him.

Frank was elated to hear from his old friend and said Joe had to come over and meet his wife and have dinner. Joe agreed and thought to himself that Frank would have obviously married an absolutely stunning, gorgeous beauty.

When he arrived at Frank's house and was greeted at the door by Frank and went inside, he met Frank's wife. Joe was shocked to the core, speechless. Frank's wife, Susie, was the ugliest, most unattractive woman Joe had ever seen. Susie could have served as the perfect model for a sculptor making busts of gargoyles for castle battlements.

After dinner, Susie went to bed leaving Joe and Frank to enjoy brandy, coffee and cigars and talking about "old times." Finally Joe said to Frank, "Frank, old buddy, we've been close friends most of our lives and I hope you won't take this as a insult, but I've never seen anyone in my life uglier than Susie. If I had a dog with a face like that I'd shave his azz and make him walk backwards. After all those incredibly beautiful girls in high school and college who could not wait to get flat and forked for you, how in hell did you ever end up marrying Susie? No offense, of course."

Frank took another swig of his brandy and puff of his cigar. "None taken, old friend," he answered. "It happened like this. A couple years ago I was in New Orleans bidding the electric work on a large high rise project. One afternoon late, I was talking with the contractor about 'night life' after we finished that day. I didn't know anyone there so he said he would 'fix me up' with a hot chick, the sister of his girl friend."

Frank refilled Joe's and his glass with brandy. "When the guy came by the hotel and I went downstairs to meet my date, it was Susie. I could not believe how ugly she was, but I didn't want to insult the contractor as I wanted him to accept my bid. Anyway, we went to dinner and later the guy and his girl friend drove us out to the lake were we parked in the moonlight. The guy and his girl friend got out and took a walk."

"Left you all alone in the back seat with this creature, huh"

Frank said, "Yep. After awhile I got to thinking 'What the Hell,' no need to waste all that dinner money and time and after all, it's pretty dark, and I hadn't been in the sack with a chick for a couple of weeks, so I began feeling her up, which she didn't mind. Pretty soon, I began feeling of her legs and she was sighing and getting hot. So I ran my hand up her thighs and noticed she was not wearing any panties. I put my hand right between her legs and ....."

Frank took another drink, "Joe, have you ever had a horse nibble corn out of your hand?"

wink

L.W.

If it starts out like this, I think you've found the one.

[Linked Image]
45 years, she is still on probation.
How do you know if you asked the right girl to marry you?

In all honesty, you never *really* know. Because things can change and nothing is guaranteed.

Actually, it's the wrong question to be asking because it is so absolutist. There are billions of people in the world and millions you could have married. The real question is "What am I going to do to fulfill the promise I made to God and man to love this woman as myself?"
After 29 years, there's been some "hints" along the way:

- we were best friends in college for 2 years, helped each other through breakups, I dated her roommate, she dated mine. We got together the summer I graduated, her with one year left. figured "I'm moving out of my college apartment, if it falls apart, oh well", it didn't!

- When you go home to visit family and don't bring her, and they only care about why she didn't come, make sure you didn't screw it up!

- When your Mom makes sure to have her favorite snack when you visit

- 5 year anniversary (after being afraid of guns when we got together) she buys you a 12 guage pump for duck hunting, tells you to close your eyes and puts it together for you (nothing like the rack of a pump to get your attention)

- She gets into archery and wins state 3D championships

- Awesome Mom to our boys

- 15 year anniversary we go elk hunting, 40th birthday she sends me on my own elk hunting

- when she's equally able to "glam it up" in 20 minutes for a nice night out, or put the hair in a pony tail and skin a deer!

- When you'd rather spend your time with her than anyone else, doing anything, including western hunting trips, knowing they cost twice as much cause there's 2 of you.

She's a keeper!
How do you know? I suppose it's different for everyone but there's so many things about my wife of almost 20 years that it's hard to pick one thing. I guess that for me going fishing or hunting in some of the most incredible places this country has to offer and feeling like something is missing. Looking forward to going home to see her when my entire life revolves around traveling from adventure to adventure. It finally got to the point that if I don't take her and the kids I don't go. I got tired of being in the most beautiful country in gods creation and not sharing it with the ones I love. My heart hurts when I'm not with my wife and children so that's my sign.

My wife is the personification of a "lady" in words and in deeds. She is quiet, polite, gentle, loving and more than capable. She doesn't drink which has to be a major reason we've made it through our younger years. No relationship could have lasted if my wife drank like I did in my younger, hell raising days. I've mellowed out thanks to the patience and love of a good woman. I dated a lot of beautiful women including a couple of models but when I first saw my wife I knew that she was THE one. I could go on and on about her but she's calling me back to bed so I gotta go.
After our 59 Columbus Day wedding anniversaries I kinda-sorta know...
The bottom line is she chooses, we just go along with it. The women have all the control, they just make us think we had a choice.
© 24hourcampfire