Home
Posted By: Klikitarik Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
...when the young fellow behind the counter tried to tell a few out-of-staters that they could buy 22 ammo and take it on the plane with them....in their hand-carries.

When I tried to correct him, he further insisted that handguns are even okay in the cabin as long as they're in a locked case.

Had it been Walmart - which I don't enter anymore- I wouldn't have bothered, but I like the small store well enough that I dropped off the TSA print-outs later when I was by the place, just to avoid problems for any of the customers he might otherwise mislead.

Yeah, I was kind of a dick I suppose. But I hate what BroGov so willingly does to the unwitting.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
Wtf?

Was this here in town Mark?
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
Probably a justice department plant for operation Fast & Frigid. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Posted By: las Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
Perhaps you saved the unwitting a bit of hassle. If they paid attention.
And possibly the clerk too.
So good on you.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
...when the young fellow behind the counter tried to tell a few out-of-staters that they could buy 22 ammo and take it on the plane with them....in their hand-carries.

When I tried to correct him, he further insisted that handguns are even okay in the cabin as long as they're in a locked case.

Had it been Walmart - which I don't enter anymore- I wouldn't have bothered, but I like the small store well enough that I dropped off the TSA print-outs later when I was by the place, just to avoid problems for any of the customers he might otherwise mislead.

Yeah, I was kind of a dick I suppose. But I hate what BroGov so willingly does to the unwitting.

NWA relative?
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
Originally Posted by jaguartx

NWA relative?

Lol
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
No, the guy is, I'm sure, a well meaning young fellow who just has a few things turned around. Perhaps he hasn't traveled enough to picture how things work, how The Turd-Sanctioned Aristocracy operates. I was hoping he was having semantic trouble with the concepts of "checked bags" versus "carry-ons" but he knew what the two were. I was having a hard time trying to picture why we would need to bother with any security at all if guns could be checked on board; pretty sure he didn't think about that too much.

I was kind of hoping one of the older fellows who had overheard the exchange had taken him aside and corrected him, but that didn't seem to have happened when I came by later and gave him the print-outs. He took them and began looking them over carefully, perhaps trying to see where I was wrong. Whatever, as long as some poor dude doesn't get whacked by the feds for trying to "hi-jack" a plane....
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Wtf?

Was this here in town Mark?

In the Gavora Mall
Posted By: smokepole Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
What a dick!! grin
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Probably a justice department plant for operation Fast & Frigid. ๐Ÿ˜‰

laugh

That's good!
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
Klik, you probably saved them a LOT of grief when they got to the airport. Like maybe jail time. smile
Originally Posted by smokepole
What a dick!! grin

I know, right! I should have just punched him in the nose and called him a mother-f----r. laugh

I did try to apologize for rubbing his nose in it, but my diplomacy skills are pretty weak. frown
Posted By: savage24 Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
In my opinion anybody selling ammo to out of staters and telling them they could take it on the plane in their carry on luggage deserves far worse than what he got from you.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
You would think the parties purchasing would have a clue.
I suppose the TSA would most likely just take it away, perhaps run them through some form of interrogation until the victim's witlessness was thoroughly exposed, and then let them go just as their place leaves the gate. Now if it was a gun- which he also thought was okay- in a locked case- that might be cause for the FBI, CIA, NSA, EPA, News-Mattress and Insulation and everyone else to be called to witness an appropriate arrest.

Originally Posted by SandBilly

One would think, but, have you ever walked the rows of ammo shelves at SW during hunting season and seen the numbers of perplexed faces? (The single most common misconception seems to be the idea that a sharp tipped bullet [plastic] is somehow magically so deadly, a great penetrator, and just perfect for moose or whatever.)

"But those 150 V-Maxes are so accurate in my 300 Win. Since they're so accurate, they'll be perfect for moose, no?" (Hey, as long as red is your favorite color, yeah.)
Posted By: efw Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16

^ This

I may have spoken up, but shame on them if they were dumb enough to believe that crap in today's day & age.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
You need to talk to the owner or manager and have him fix the dummy behind the counter.
Originally Posted by efw

^ This

I may have spoken up, but shame on them if they were dumb enough to believe that crap in today's day & age.

It's amazing how many people one can run into these days who have never flown much or at all. And some of the younger crowd doesn't understand that yacking in the TSA line at the airport is not the same as standing in line in the school cafeteria as far as banter goes.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/24/16
What a dick!! grin

I know, right! I should have just punched him in the nose and called him a mother-f----r. laugh

I did try to apologize for rubbing his nose in it, but my diplomacy skills are pretty weak. frown

Firm, yet rude!

Dat's my motto. wink
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
Originally Posted by jaguartx

NWA relative?

Undoubtedly a student of Walt's.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
Originally Posted by smarquez
You need to talk to the owner or manager and have him fix the dummy behind the counter.

I'll submit that anyone who believes most of the guys behind the counter at most of these stores, is the one who is the dummy or a real newbie...

In my travels, about 90% of these people are behind the Counter at MacDonald's level of quality and knowledge...
Posted By: mohick Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
That prob was the owner or the 16 year old manager!!!bout the best it gets
Posted By: deflave Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
To be honest, all that would have happened is they would have been told they can't board the plane with it.

The TSA doesn't have any real authority outside of letting you on the plane. They simply report what happened to somebody that does have authority and if somebody that does the investigating finds it was done on purpose, they can/will charge them.

And if you've spent any time in international airports, you can imagine how many incidents like this happen every day.

Travis
Posted By: xarcher Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
Originally Posted by deflave
To be honest, all that would have happened is they would have been told they can't board the plane with it.

The TSA doesn't have any real authority outside of letting you on the plane. They simply report what happened to somebody that does have authority and if somebody that does the investigating finds it was done on purpose, they can/will charge them.

And if you've spent any time in international airports, you can imagine how many incidents like this happen every day.

Travis

THIS
Many years ago I packed a turkey vest in my carry on and didn't bother to check the pockets. Turns out I had 3 shells in the vest. Dumb for sure but an honest mistake. TSA handed me over to sheriff who questioned me and after completing a form let me on my way. He gave me the option to go take the shells back to my parked truck but I would have ended up missing my plane. Sheriff kept the shells.
Posted By: rondrews Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
If you are going from point A to Point B, why not just buy the shells at point B? No hassle with the TSA.
I'm thinking because the guys in AK were having a hard time finding 22LR locally and xarcher didn't mean to bring the shells. It was an accident.

Dave
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
Yep, I have only heard that bricks of 22 ammo are still being made....haven't seen them in stores since maybe 5 years ago. This store just happened to have a few 50 round boxes!

Mostly the small airlines in Alaska don't have TSA/security issues, but I recall an incident some months ago here in the state when someone got snagged for having an undeclared handgun in their luggage on one of the small regional airlines.
I would wager a lot of your smaller airports don't even have TSA. But security personnel contracted by TSA.

I wonder if the kid at the store wasn't confusing checked baggage with carry on? Because on some of those puddle jumpers that can be semantics. grin

Clark
Posted By: shortleade Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
Oh, ok, so you're one of those guys that goes around telling people the truth, eh? What a dick!
Posted By: EdM Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
You likely saved him $150. Trust me on this as it is what I paid after being caught in Sitka...
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
I would wager a lot of your smaller airports don't even have TSA. But security personnel contracted by TSA.

I wonder if the kid at the store wasn't confusing checked baggage with carry on? Because on some of those puddle jumpers that can be semantics. grin

Clark

Yeah, the rural places have 'zero' since the pilot is the whole show: ticket agent, baggage handler, driver. And even the rural hubs aren't actively regulated by TSA, though they're supposed to follow the TSA rules and do the firearm declaration papers, etc.

But this fellow was sure that Alaska Airlines, not a small airport operator by any means, allows people to put their locked gun cases in the "overhead bins" on the plane. It's true though, that "checked bags" on a Cessna 207 or 208 might only be as removed from passengers as a cargo net allows.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
Klik- Gavora Mall....that brings back memories. I think we're all dicks, just goes with the territory of being so worldly knowledgeable!

I love the signs at the airport that tell you you can't bring your ulu in your carry-on.

Travis - f'n Green Bay doesn't really count as an International airport, just sayin. <grin>. See Klik, we are dicks. smile

PS & BTW, I did cruise through your Sportsman's Whorehouse just to see if they had any 140 gr. A-Max's still on the shelves.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16

Travis

True for ammo maybe, but not for this:

Posted By: selmer Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
It's one thing to get into an argument with someone and insist you're right. It's quite another to try to correct someone, not totally lose it, and then return with objective and concrete data which helps the guy's customers avoid complications. Not a dick.
Better to be a dick than a pussy....

Travis

One and the same.

Travis
Originally Posted by Akbob5

Travis - f'n Green Bay doesn't really count as an International airport, just sayin. <grin>. See Klik, we are dicks. smile

I have never visited Green Bay but I will.

Must see Lambeau.

Travis
Posted By: las Re: Yeah, I was a dick - 10/25/16
What a dick!! grin

If you need some pointers on tact, Mark, pm me. Just forget all about that Earl the well driller/moose calf thing I posted a few years back.....
6รทรท

Travis

One and the same.

Travis

Maybe true about TSA, but taking a pistol through airport security will get you arrested/detained.
It could get you arrested and detained if there are LEO's on scene.

Travis
They're in every airport I go through.
© 24hourcampfire