Home
USA TODAY - For the first time since the Upstate was Cherokee territory, a wild elk has been seen roaming the woodlands of South Carolina.

Northern Pickens County is abuzz with sightings of the bull elk, whose wanderings are being traced on social media.

It’s not a descendent of species that once inhabited this area, but more likely a young bull elk that was ousted by the dominant males of a herd of Rocky Mountain elk that have been re-established in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, according to outdoorsman and Pickens County resident Dennis Chastain.

“This is a historic moment that some of us knew would eventually come,” Chastain said. “This is the first wild elk to roam the woods and wild places in South Carolina since they disappeared in the early 1700's.”

Carl Walsh, president of the South Carolina chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, took pictures of the animal, which he estimated is about 2 ½ years old, on private property in the Rocky Bottom area.

“If you had settled in South Carolina back in the late 1600’s you would have had an abundance of elk. But our forefather shot them all out for clothing or food,” he said. “And we haven’t had an elk in 275 years.”

He believes the bull, which is unafraid of humans, will keep looking for a female until he finds one, although he may have to return to North Carolina to accomplish that.

“Hopefully next time he’ll bring a female with him and we can establish a small herd here in South Carolina,” Walsh said.

Walsh and Chastain worked with the Legislature several years ago to get a bill passed to make it illegal to shoot elk in South Carolina, but this is the first time the law has come into play.

“We’ve had reports before,” McCullough, of the DNR said. “This is the first time I’m aware of that we have confirmed one that had wandered down.”

DNR is warning people not to approach the elk.

“People get a false sense of security, because elk don’t mind being approached,” said Justin McVey, a wildlife biologist with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission. “But they are still wild animals and can be very dangerous. All it would take is for that elk to swing its antlers, and it could really hurt somebody.”

Tammy Wactor, a wildlife biologist with SCDNR, said the young bull elk may weigh up to 700 pounds, and she urges motorists to be careful driving on roads in the area where the animal has been seen, especially at sunrise and sunset.

Numerous social media postings have been made with photos of the elk, some with people feeding the animal, DNR said.

Chastain, who is also a local historian, said, it’s “Unlikely that the woodland buffalo and red wolf, or the Carolina parakeet, the passenger pigeon or the Eastern cougar will ever be restored in Pickens County, but it is pretty cool see the mountain elk come home after 300 years missing in action.”

Copyright 2016 The Greenville (S.C. News
Obviously the DNR spokesman has never worked with elk. A "wild" elk? I think not. Which petting zoo is missing it's elk? You don't hand feed a wild elk. Only a fool hand feeds a tame bull.
Numerous social media postings have been made with photos of the elk, some with people feeding the animal, DNR said.

The rut's over. They're social and he'll attach himself to any other elk he runs into but he's not looking for love this time of year.
He believes the bull, which is unafraid of humans, will keep looking for a female until he finds one, although he may have to return to North Carolina to accomplish that.
"Elk don't mind being approached"....lol

Watch out, they'll designate the area "critical endangered elk habitat" and dump a laundry list of restrictions on you!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Watch out, they'll designate the area "critical endangered elk habitat" and dump a laundry list of restrictions on you!

They haven't done that in TN, NC, KY, VA, WV, or PA, so it's damned unlikely to happen in SC.
Depends if the governor thinks people with CBF's will be hunting them....
It is cool to see them reintroduced to regions they were extirpated from 200 years ago. They're a very adaptable critter.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
It is cool to see them reintroduced to regions they were extirpated from 200 years ago. They're a very adaptable critter.

Agreed. Also, and even though I love the Rockies, it will be uber when the populations get high enough to really start hunting them, negating that 3500+ mile round trip - and all of Kansas - to get after them.
Originally Posted by RWE
Depends if the governor thinks people with CBF's will be hunting them....

I'm in!
He will be hanging in someones garage end of this week
I've heard that they are hell on fences...that they just walk through a standard barbed wire fence like it isn't there. If that is true, hard to see how they will ever truly get reestablished in the east outside of a few select areas. Is it true?
Oldelkhunter is probably right. Some short sighted yahoo will shoot the darn thing, and then brag about it and end up with a ticket and a court date for shooting an illegal animal. Then it will be another 20 years before the next elk wanders into SC from NC.
Around here they just jump over fences. Barbed wire, or buck and rail, makes no difference. Bison will walk through a fence or jump it as the mood hits them.
Happened in KY before they had a season on them. Some ol boy thought he shot the biggest whitetail ever!
Some ol boy thought he shot the biggest whitetail ever

That's scary right there!
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Some ol boy thought he shot the biggest whitetail ever

That's scary right there!

If you've ever been to eastern KY, you'd understand and the above would not be close to the scariest part.
Never been to eastern Kentucky. I have been to deepest darkest West Virginia though. Down around Snow Shoe ski resort. Green Briar, Bartow, etc.? Some great people down there but......different......
Eastern KY is what, where, and who WestVirginians make fun of - for good reason.
Originally Posted by 4ager

Agreed. Also, and even though I love the Rockies, it will be uber when the populations get high enough to really start hunting them, negating that 3500+ mile round trip - and all of Kansas - to get after them.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. With their feed requirements and the available habitat, those numbers of elk would put a serious burden on private agricultural lands. They're still not there in Kentucky.

It sure is cool to see them back though.
A herd of elk grazing in a forty acre hay meadow would put someone in a bad mood.
Originally Posted by smokepole

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. With their feed requirements and the available habitat, those numbers of elk would put a serious burden on private agricultural lands. They're still not there in Kentucky.

A man can dream... wink

Well, maybe my kids will get to avoid the KS monotony to go hunt elk.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. With their feed requirements and the available habitat, those numbers of elk would put a serious burden on private agricultural lands. They'd still not there in Kentucky.

There's enough Bone Collectors around here that run feeders for deer 24/7/52.

We'll have no problem feeding an elk herd...
Eastern KY is what, where, and who WestVirginians make fun of - for good reason.

HA[and so true].
Of course that corner of earth where VA/WV/KY/TN all converge is almost another planet.
And a Virginian killed one of those 'record setting' whitetails several years back prior to VA putting them on the 'no-kill' list.
Originally Posted by Raeford

HA[and so true].
Of course that corner of earth where VA/WV/KY/TN all converge is almost another planet.
And a Virginian killed one of those 'record setting' whitetails several years back prior to VA putting them on the 'no-kill' list.

Hell, there were several years where DGIF had it in the regs that they were legal during deer season and you just used a deer tag on them.
"Hell, there were several years where DGIF had it in the regs that they were legal during deer season and you just used a deer tag on them."

That had to chap KY Game/Fisheries azz's.
"Hell, there were several years where DGIF had it in the regs that they were legal during deer season and you just used a deer tag on them."

It was a pissing match over supposed lack of control in ensuring the transplanted elk were disease free.

VGIF basically said "no tests? no closed season..."
Originally Posted by RWE

It was a pissing match over supposed lack of control in ensuring the transplanted elk were disease free.

VGIF basically said "no tests? no closed season..."

Yep.
I Now know my problem!!!!! I am from another planet....Born in Mingo Co West Virgina raised in Pike Co KY...

HA[and so true].
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
I Now know my problem!!!!! I am from another planet....Born in Mingo Co West Virgina raised in Pike Co KY...

HA[and so true].

Thing is, IMO those are about the best folk on earth.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

They haven't done that in TN, NC, KY, VA, WV, or PA, so it's damned unlikely to happen in SC.

Dude lighten up.
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan

HA[and so true].

Where family trees grow like corn stalks....
OT but WTH.....We also now have nine banded armadillo's in SC's high country. DNR swears they are relocating here on their own via the SC low-country. Figure that one out.

I've seen several recent roadkills. Especially, between Greenville and Asheville.
Hopefully the bull does not get hit by a car. When I lived in NC it seemed like there was a small town about every 5 miles on the road.
I like going to the Cataloochie in NC to watch the Elk. In August I saw a bear as well.
Originally Posted by moosemike
I like going to the Cataloochie in NC to watch the Elk. In August I saw a bear as well.

Go in the dead of winter, the elk will lick the road salt off of every square inch of your truck/car.
The Elk herd in Kentucky is well over 10,000 now. When they first started it their goal was to produce a herd of 7500.

Go in the dead of winter, the elk will lick the road salt off of every square inch of your truck/car.

I usually wait till they're about finished, then I shoot them.
Originally Posted by RWE

You can tell you are new at elk hunting....

Lower your tailgate, put up your ATV ramps, and when they climb up into the pickup bed for the salt.....

THEN you shoot them.

Sheesh.....
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by RWE

You can tell you are new at elk hunting....

Lower your tailgate, put up your ATV ramps, and when they climb up into the pickup bed for the salt.....

THEN you shoot them.

Sheesh.....

He has kids. They do the work.
That explains it.
Actually, I bought this skookum winch from a guy with a Chevy Avalanche...
The 1st and only time I ever dog/deer hunted eastern Va I was thoroughly chastised for NOT allowing the dogs to drive the deer to the truck/road before shooting. Dude looked at me and was like" now we have to DRAG that damned deer all the way across the field. Next time wait til the dogs get it beside the road !"

OOPS
The 1st and only time I ever dog/deer hunted eastern Va I was thoroughly chastised for NOT allowing the dogs to drive the deer to the truck/road before shooting. Dude looked at me and was like" now we have to DRAG that damned deer all the way across the field. Next time wait til the dogs get it beside the road !"

OOPS

Suffolk?
I've heard that they are hell on fences...that they just walk through a standard barbed wire fence like it isn't there.

They do not stroll around popping barbed wire like it was kite string. Panic a large group though, and they can take out a good stretch of fence.

Yes. One does not hand feed a wild elk. Elk that unafraid of humans rarely make a contribution to the gene pool out west.

They can thoroughly out compete deer for groceries as well. Some blame our increasing elk numbers for our decreasing mule deer counts.

As to shooting: A good probability. It took many years for moose to make any sort of come back here in Oregon. Every one that entered was mistaken for an elk and shot. Probably the same folks that shoot people on horseback. Seriously in need of some optical help.
Somewhere near. I didn't and aren't ever going back[to hunt]. Those poor guys wouldn't make it here in the mnts.
Originally Posted by RWE

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. With their feed requirements and the available habitat, those numbers of elk would put a serious burden on private agricultural lands. They'd still not there in Kentucky.

There's enough Bone Collectors around here that run feeders for deer 24/7/52.

We'll have no problem feeding an elk herd...

They better start buying feed by the truckload.
The amount of money some guys spend on feed, they could have just bought the meat - or a set of antlers - whatever they felt like.

I've seen pallets of 50lb bags of corn leave the feed store before.
Originally Posted by RWE
Actually, I bought this skookum winch from a guy with a Chevy Avalanche...

Doh! laugh
Originally Posted by 1minute
I've heard that they are hell on fences...that they just walk through a standard barbed wire fence like it isn't there.

They do not stroll around popping barbed wire like it was kite string. Panic a large group though, and they can take out a good stretch of fence.

Yes. One does not hand feed a wild elk. Elk that unafraid of humans rarely make a contribution to the gene pool out west.

They can thoroughly out compete deer for groceries as well. Some blame our increasing elk numbers for our decreasing mule deer counts.

As to shooting: A good probability. It took many years for moose to make any sort of come back here in Oregon. Every one that entered was mistaken for an elk and shot. Probably the same folks that shoot people on horseback. Seriously in need of some optical help.
Any healthy elk or deer can hop over a 4' fence like it isn't there. An elk can clear a 6' fence without too much problem. 8' isn't unheard of.
the elk were reintroduce to the reservation and are branching out.
I see them all the time trout fishing.
Originally Posted by ringworm
the elk were reintroduce to the reservation and are branching out.
I see them all the time trout fishing.

they might as well bring the buffalo back also. a few red wolves, and a handful of catamounts/puma/cougar/Pant'rs.

the Pant'rs use to be plentiful in north ga. until the white settlers arrived, and knocked them out because in late feb/mar. they'd eat all the livestock they could find.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by 1minute

Any healthy elk or deer can hop over a 4' fence like it isn't there. An elk can clear a 6' fence without too much problem. 8' isn't unheard of.

It isn't so much that they walk through fences as it is they lazily jump over the fence. Not really jumping high enough and their back legs hit the top wires and pull them off posts. They could easily clear the whole fence if they put in the effort. And like 1minute said watching a herd cross a fence is tough if you've ever built fence.

Sounds cool I'll do that.
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Oldelkhunter is probably right. Some short sighted yahoo will shoot the darn thing, and then brag about it and end up with a ticket and a court date for shooting an illegal animal. Then it will be another 20 years before the next elk wanders into SC from NC.

Hey you got elk in the state, it is time for the greenie weinie idiots to add in some Canadian Grey Wolves like they did to us in Id, Co, Wy, Montana, and now they have spread into Wa & Or with an occasional foray into Ca.
© 24hourcampfire