Home
Posted By: 4ager Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
Greatest baseball mind in history.

GM that led the Red Sox revival to break their curse. VP of Baseball Operations that led the Cubs to break their curse.

194 years of combined World Series droughts broken under this watch.

SOB is only 42 years old.

Which city mortgages basically the entire city to bring him in as their baseball "god" next? The bidding war should be, and rightfully so, epic.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
This is great!

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...champagne-video-chicago-cubs-celebration
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
He recently signed a 5 year extension with the Cubs for $50M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
He recently signed a 5 year extension with the Cubs for $50M

Think the Mets wouldn't offer to buy that out and double it?
It all comes down to what the guy wants. The Cubs could win 4 games next year and he'll still be a king in that town.
It all comes down to what the guy wants. The Cubs could win 4 games next year and he'll still be a king in that town.

Agreed. I suspect he wants another challenge. Maybe not immediately, but he will.
Posted By: RWE Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16

Now all he has to do is dodge bullets down town.
Posted By: pointer Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
Agreed about hi, being one of the great minds. Draft/develop offense and buy/trade pitching.

However I just don't see any other places like he's been for him to go to. One of his greatest accomplishments is getting teams with large, loyal fan bases to spend money...
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
greatest baseball mind in history? Probably not. My money would be on Tony LaRussa.
That I know Tony, and went to high school with him down in Tampa, has nothing to do with it. lol
Posted By: moosemike Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
Once he got my Red Sox over the hump in '04 I knew his legacy was made. Last night when he got the Cubs there I realized his legend was made.
Originally Posted by pointer
Agreed about hi, being one of the great minds. Draft/develop offense and buy/trade pitching.

However I just don't see any other places like he's been for him to go to. One of his greatest accomplishments is getting teams with large, loyal fan bases to spend money...

Mets. Braves. Dodgers. Orioles.
Posted By: RWE Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
atlanta has got that whole new stadium/complex/village/mixed use development.

Bet they would like a pennant or two to go with it....
He's averaging one WS every seven years (Jewish calendar?) with a different team. 42 now; four more cycles like that would give him 6 titles by 70, with six teams and somewhere along the order of 350 years of WS droughts snapped.

Incredible to contemplate THAT hypothetical.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
Mariners
Posted By: hanco Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
Astros need to hire him
My money is on the Jets trying to hire him.......
Posted By: 79S Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
My money is on the Jets trying to hire him.......

Or the Detroit lions
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
Yep Even before the series it was evident Theo knows a lil sumpthin about baseball talent & chemistry.

Really incredible what he's accomplished, nice looking young man with a decent sort of composure from what I saw last night

F baseball I wish he was running for office!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
He's certainly a far cry from the days when Dallas Green would have been happy to field a team of 24 pitchers and Scott Thompson.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
A lesson on GLORY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPiH-LBna5I
Posted By: Raeford Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
Cleveland?
Posted By: pinotguy Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
If it's a challenge he wants, come run the Rockies.
Posted By: rickinil Re: Theo Epstein - 11/03/16
Sheeeeit! Hes going over to the bears next!!
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Theo Epstein - 11/04/16
Originally Posted by 4ager
Greatest baseball mind in history.

GM that led the Red Sox revival to break their curse. VP of Baseball Operations that led the Cubs to break their curse.

194 years of combined World Series droughts broken under this watch.

SOB is only 42 years old.

Which city mortgages basically the entire city to bring him in as their baseball "god" next? The bidding war should be, and rightfully so, epic.

I'm a huge Cubs fan. If it weren't for Cleveland's already youthful organization and extreme talent Theo would be headed there next and looking for the trifecta of saving championship drought plagued organizations.
Posted By: deflave Re: Theo Epstein - 11/04/16
Originally Posted by RWE

Now all he has to do is dodge bullets down town.

Down town Chicago is as safe as Mayberry.

Travis
Posted By: pointer Re: Theo Epstein - 11/04/16
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by pointer

Mets. Braves. Dodgers. Orioles.
Could be, but none have the panache of the last two. IMO, he'll work on making the Cubs good enough, for long enough to forget about Jeter's Yankees. Being a StL fan that's hard for me to stomach...

He's got them setup very well for quite some time. It's when guys like Bryant, Baez, Russell, get out of those rookie deals where it'll get expensive.
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: Theo Epstein - 11/04/16

Theo Epstein is the enemy. His ties to and support of the Clintons goes way back to before he was with the Red Sox.

http://patch.com/illinois/chicago/c...ks-hillary-clinton-campaign-contribution

Posted By: moosemike Re: Theo Epstein - 11/04/16
Originally Posted by Southerntier8

Theo Epstein is the enemy. His ties to and support of the Clintons goes way back to before he was with the Red Sox.

http://patch.com/illinois/chicago/c...ks-hillary-clinton-campaign-contribution

So what. We're not voting for him. We're just admiring his baseball prowess.
© 24hourcampfire