Home
Posted By: Ringman Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16
Since I am still waiting for my 6.5mm hunting rifle I think I will get a 6.5mm for a short action and screw the barrel on the Savage. What 6.5mm are out there?
Posted By: viking Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16
Creed, 260 or 6.5x47.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16
Thanks, viking, I've been in to big so long I had no idea where to start.
Posted By: hanco Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16
Get the 6.5 Creedmoor. Fine cartridge !!
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16
Originally Posted by Ringman
Thanks, viking, I've been in to big so long I had no idea where to start.

You might, if you're lucky, figure out how to run a ladder test on a Creed/260 before you burn the barrel out. Just barely. If you're lucky.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16
260 Rich...

Since you handload, brass is easier to come by...

just size down 308 brass...which is more plentiful than 22.250 brass to neck up to the Creedmoor...
Originally Posted by Seafire
260 Rich...

just size down 308 brass...which is more plentiful than 22.250 brass to neck up to the Creedmoor...

That argument has merit.
A new question: Does the Creedmoor tend to be more accurate than the .260?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16
Check your magazine length, my Savage has a 3" mag box so I went with the 260.

If your mag length is shorter go with the Creed or Lapua

I couldn't find 260 brass when I built mine so I necked up 243 brass.
Is there a tendency for one to be more accurate than the other?
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16
The Lapua is the better design.
The Creedmoor wins in popularity.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16

260.........Lapua brass......good dies........

why not ?
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16
260 Redding, ...260 Rem 30 degree imp, Dies at CH4D
Rich, Don't forget the 6.5-284.

Otherwise, I am a fan of the 260. I like to pair it with 120-123 gr bullets at 2900 fps.
260 Rich...

That argument has merit.

If you're worried about brass the Creedmoor is easily made from 308 brass as well. There is also plenty of ready made and factory loads available, much more than the 260. I'd consider that a non-starter.

I think they are pretty much neck to neck performance wise. It's kind of a choose and don't look back deal. Go over to the 65 creedmoor forums and snoop a bit..there's a lot of us that are 6.5 enthusiasts in general and you will get a lot of perspective.

I like the 65 Creedmoor but you won't be wrong with any that have been mentioned.
I called Savage today to check about a magazine. The techie told me they are selling way more Credmoors than .260's. They need the serial # in order to get me the correct magazine because they recently made a change to the attachment; or something like that.

He said field reports are showing the Creedmoor to be slightly more accurate than the .260. I have a theory about that though. I think the mental tendency of the folks getting the Creedmoor are shooters and the others are casual plinkers.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16
Ringman,

The newer Savages with the center feed have the 3" mags.

The previous stagger feeds are I believe 2.8"

That is some very useful information. Thanks.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16
Originally Posted by westside_benny
260 Rich...

That argument has merit.

If you're worried about brass the Creedmoor is easily made from 308 brass as well. There is also plenty of ready made and factory loads available, much more than the 260. I'd consider that a non-starter.

I think they are pretty much neck to neck performance wise. It's kind of a choose and don't look back deal. Go over to the 65 creedmoor forums and snoop a bit..there's a lot of us that are 6.5 enthusiasts in general and you will get a lot of perspective.

I like the 65 Creedmoor but you won't be wrong with any that have been mentioned.

you might consider that a non starter...

but as a person who owns about 5 rifles in 260, with several more barrels waiting to be installed when those wear out...

none of them have ever fired a round of factory loads in them... and I have bought exactly ONE bag of 260 labeled brass, that was Remington way back in 1998 when I got my first one... a Rem VLS...

all of the rounds shot have either used range 308 picked up brass or a Winchester 7/08 brass which I bought a bag on sale like who knows how many years ago.... 100 rounds for like $10 at the time... on close out..

the only reason I see the Creedmoor as more popular is that it is newer ( although the idea isn't).. and it gets all the press, and Lord knows most people are sheep following whatever is trendy for this year...
Posted By: Calvin Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/17/16
grin

Subscribed.

Keep up the good information. grin
Posted By: viking Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/18/16
Oh yeah, the 6.5-284 what a sexy looking round.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/18/16
Bag of popcorn? Check.

Now, to sit back and watch the wheel be reinvented and with corners this time.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/18/16
I have lots of 6.5mm bore rifles and I'm shooting the 6.5 Creedmoors more often than the rest combined. The Creed has great factory ammo, something that the 260 has only had intermittently, and even the least expensive Hornady American Whitetail ammo shoots MOA or better.

I got a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel directly from Savage a year or two ago, but when I tried to order another one this year, they wouldn't send me one, even if I gave them a signed liability release. They would only sell me a barrel if I sent the receiver to them for installation.

EDIT: The point being that the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 260 will produce approximately the same outcomes and, since they have about the same case capacities, that is what you'd expect if all other variables remained constant. Being a longtime 260Remguy, I didn't jump on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon right away, but after it was established, I bought a V2 in order to give it a try. The V2 turned out to be the most accurate out-of-the-box CF rifles that I've ever owned with Hornady factory ammo. Whatever brand or bullet weight/style you fire from it, if you're not shooting MOA or better its the shooter, not the rifle or ammo. I went from having zero (0) 6.5 Creedmoors in 01/14 to having six (6) in 11/16. The least accurate of the six is a Marlin XS7 parts gun that I put that barrel from Savage on and it still shoots MOAish, just not quite as good as the RAR-Predators or V2s.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/18/16
Originally Posted by 4ager
Bag of popcorn? Check.

Anybody taking bets on the odds of when/how he's gonna fűck this little project up?

What's he like, four for four this year...
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Bag of popcorn? Check.

Anybody taking bets on the odds of when/how he's gonna fűck this little project up?

What's he like, four for four this year...

I called Savage today to check about a magazine.

....picturing a tech advisor / service type leaning out of his cube and getting a cohort's attention,....while circling his finger next to his head, urging him to listen in..."It's that lunatic nutcase again"

GTC
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/18/16
I've wanted a 6.5-284 in a Savage 99 for a while now. I'd lean that way.

Originally Posted by Fireball2

I have a 6.5-284 in a Savage 99CD. The magazine length is a limiting factor, making it (IMO) a sub-optimal choice in that platform.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I have a 6.5-284 in a Savage 99CD. The magazine length is a limiting factor, making it (IMO) a sub-optimal choice in that platform.

Sure, it'd be better in a long action, no debate there. But, I'm a 99 guy. Thanks to you and all your custom Savages, I have a 99C receiver and the wood sitting here, waiting for a gunsmith. grin
A 6.5Creed would seem just about perfect for a 99.

Sure, it'd be better in a long action, no debate there. But, I'm a 99 guy. Thanks to you and all your custom Savages, I have a 99C receiver and the wood sitting here, waiting for a gunsmith. grin

Of the reworked 99s, I like the 99F in 260 the best.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/18/16
Originally Posted by viking
I don't believe it is typically found using a short action.

But then what will I do with the .284 magazines I've accumulated for the project?

Yeah, I know, make it a 260 and be done with it. ho hum.

But then what will I do with the .284 magazines I've accumulated for the project?

.25-284?

The 25-284 COAL give you a little more latitude in the 99CD magazine than the 6.5-284, but 100 grain 6.5mm bullets don't pose a COAL problem and go 3,100 or better from a 22" barrel.

.25-284?

Hey, take it to the .257 thread mister. Blasphemer. grin
How about a 6.5-300Savage, then?
Originally Posted by RickyD

It was invented for SA. Though it works better in a LA if one is pushing heavy and high bc bullets.

I have a 6mm-284bon a SA ADL. It works great. I sure would not be scared to rebarrel it in a 6.5-284 for 120, 123, 130, and even 140 gr bullets. Except for the VLD types in 140 gr.

A friend has a factory Savage in 6.5-284. He says it shoots quite well. The only reason I don't have a 6.5-284, because I already have a 264 on a 27 inch Pac-Nor, and another 260 coming in a 24 inch Krieger.

But the 6.5-284 is out of fashion two years, the 260 is out of fashion about ten years. The Creed is this year's media darling!

Funny thing is, either of the other two still shoot just as well as they ever did.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/19/16
He said field reports are showing the Creedmoor to be slightly more accurate than the .260. I have a theory about that though. I think the mental tendency of the folks getting the Creedmoor are shooters and the others are casual plinkers.

Or because Hornady makes very accurate factory ammo. for the Creedmor.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/19/16
Originally Posted by RickyD

The 284 case is the same length as the 6.5x55 case and nobody that I know of typically thinks of the 6.5x55 as a short action cartridge. It seems that the primary (perceived?) advantage of the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 260 is that the shorter case allows for more COAL latitude when loading longer VLD bullets in a short action. OTOH, the longer 6.5-284 case actually does limit COAL latitude when loading bullets longer than the 120 grain BT in short actions.
The 284 was invented for the Win 88 and Win 100, both short action rifles.

Yes, long bullets do protrude down below the neck of the case when seated to 2.8 inches COAL.

Contrary to what seems to be common belief, (from reading gun rags, and some posts on this site) the 284 case still has greater capacity than the 308 case when the same bullet is seated to 2.8 inches in each.

But yes, loading VLD bullets in the 6.5-284 at 2.8" can be problematic if the ogive is actually in the case neck.

It is interesting to note COAL lengths listed in the Hornady #6 manual are 2.8 inches for 284 Win, 6.5-284, 6-284, 260 Rem, and 7-08. The 308 is listed at 2.810" while the 243 is listed at 2.710.

Whle, obviously, there is no law that a custom built rifle and custom tailored ammunition must be held to these measurements. They do indicate that a rifle so chambered will be quite satisfactory in most circumstances.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/19/16
Like 4ager said, a 99A, with a straight stock and 20 inch barrel would be perfect when chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. While we are setting things up, I vote for a Leupold 1.5x5, with No. 4 recticle.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/19/16
I think a 257 AI beats any of the 6.5s for hunting. .
Posted By: smokepole Re: Savage 6.5 cartridge? - 11/21/16
How so?
© 24hourcampfire