Home
Posted By: drover Good guy wins - 11/17/16
FORT MYERS, Fla. – A bystander who shot and killed a man who was attacking a deputy near a southwest Florida highway has been given a new gun to replace the one he used in the shooting.

The Lee County Sheriff's Office tells the News-Press (http://usat.ly/2f3xb19 ) the bystander had a concealed weapons permit and ordered 53-year-old Edward Strother to stop attacking the deputy before opening fire along Interstate 75 in Estero on Monday.

Officials have called the shooter a good Samaritan. The sheriff's office is not naming the bystander because the incident is under investigation. No charges have been filed.

With the shooter's gun impounded as evidence, local gun shop owner Mark Williams says he reached out to offer the man a replacement firearm. Sheriff's deputies accompanied the shooter to the store to pick up the handgun Tuesday.

Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott praised the gun shop in a Facebook post.
Posted By: PaleRider Re: Good guy wins - 11/17/16
cool smile
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Good guy wins - 11/17/16
I really don't understand why, after saving the cops life, they take his gun and leave him defenseless. Just doesn't seem right.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Good guy wins - 11/17/16
Any civilian involved in a shooting is gonna lose the gun at least for a while . Another thing to think about when choosing your carry piece .Pick something easily replaced,not dad or grandads 1911.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Good guy wins - 11/17/16
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
I really don't understand why, after saving the cops life, they take his gun and leave him defenseless. Just doesn't seem right.

Covering all the bases, making sure that no one can come back and say that it wasn't a clean investigation. Ballistics check will verify it was the pistol used, that no one tried to slip in another pistol, and show that the cops are doing their due diligence.

He'll get it back. You can be the fellow Deputies will see to that. Probably get more than a new pistol, too.

Again, good for the citizen who stood up and did what needed to be done.

Ed
Posted By: RushCC Re: Good guy wins - 11/17/16
Much respect for this guy. Able to act in the moment and get the job done; it's always heartwarming to see a good man use his firearm to benefit others, whether that's putting food on the table or eliminating a threat.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Good guy wins - 11/17/16
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Any civilian involved in a shooting is gonna lose the gun at least for a while . Another thing to think about when choosing your carry piece .Pick something easily replaced,not dad or grandads 1911.

yep, its like the odds of having to use your carry gun are really high.....
Posted By: rost495 Re: Good guy wins - 11/17/16
the only thing I don't like, is that a gun store had to pony up... why didn't the department do so or at least the officers on their own......

I know the answer, but I don't like it at all.

Much like FDNY can have no Trump pictures anywhere...

Pluck PC
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Good guy wins - 11/17/16
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Troutnut

yep, its like the odds of having to use your carry gun are really high.....
No the odds aren't high but if you would never need it you wouldn't carry it . If it happens better a $500 Glock or whatever than something irreplaceable .
© 24hourcampfire