Home
A young man sitting in a tree stand heard something coming and killed his own father. Do people check their brains when they leave the truck? I couldn't feel more sorry for this guy. He'll likely never get over it.

Police: Son fatally shoots his father in hunting accident
Published November 25, 2016 Associated Press
SANDY CREEK, N.Y. – State police say a 24-year-old man mistook his father for a deer and fatally shot the older man while hunting near the family's central New York home on Thanksgiving.

Troopers say Kristopher Paro was in a tree stand in the woods behind his home in the Oswego County town of Sandy Creek around 4:40 p.m. Thursday when he heard what he thought was a deer about 100 yards away.

Police say Paro fired a shot, unaware that his father, 58-year-old Kevin Paro, had gone into the woods a short time earlier to hunt. Troopers say the father was hit in the chest by a round from his son's .270-caliber rifle.

The older man was taken to Oswego Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The son hasn't been charged. Police say their investigation is continuing.
Didn't want to wait for his inheritance.
I wonder if his dad was wearing blaze orange (on his own property.)
If the old codger was dressed in a white tail coat the kid never should have mistaken him for a deer!

I have never understood how a human can be mistaken for a four legged animal, no wonder Obama was elected.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Police say their investigation is continuing.

Maybe not an accident?
Beyond stupid, and why I hardly ever hunt public land anymore.
"Sound" shooting. Once I hunted with a guy shot at sounds, but only once.
Don't know...but a chest shot from a hundred yards away seems like it might take a little bit of aiming...
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[Linked Image]

Steele,

you still hittin the clubs?
The old guy must have been making some kind of racket to be able to be heard at 100 yds.
K
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
The old guy must have been making some kind of racket to be able to be heard at 100 yds.

Kid hasn't lost his hearing like the rest of us yet.
There's gotta be a helluva lot more to this story.
7mm

Troopers say Kristopher Paro was in a tree stand in the woods behind his home in the Oswego County town of Sandy Creek around 4:40 p.m. Thursday when he heard what he thought was a deer about 100 yards away.

Police say Paro fired a shot, unaware that his father, 58-year-old Kevin Paro, had gone into the woods a short time earlier to hunt. Troopers say the father was hit in the chest by a round from his son's .270-caliber rifle.

Sunset was at 4:32pm yesterday.

Always carry a lit flashlight when moving through the woods at dawn and dusk during gun season!
Originally Posted by BarryC

Sunset was at 4:32pm yesterday.

Always carry a lit flashlight when moving through the woods at dawn and dusk during gun season!

It is a big leap from hearing something moving in the woods at 100 yards...and making a chest shot...at what???...sound!!
Hell, I've missed deer at 100 yards. Aiming at the damn thing.
That is sad.
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
. . .
It is a big leap from hearing something moving in the woods at 100 yards...and making a chest shot...at what???...sound!!

Remember it was a .270!
Heck, they're dropping like fly's here in Minnesota.
One guy got shot in his tree stand! The article also mentions another hunter being shot in the leg.
http://www.twincities.com/2016/11/07/cloquet-deer-hunter-found-fatally-shot-in-tree-stand/

This guy was shot walking through the woods in blaze orange.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4154673-hunter-found-dead-woods-central-minnesota

A lot of Democrats here.....
MISTAKENLY kills his father, chest shot a 100 yards after hearing a noise?

I would HOPE the investigation is continuing. eek
It's amazing what can happen when you decide to forego any one of a few basic safety rules... not condemning the guy so much as pointing out the obvious.....which we've probably all done a time or three in one way or another, whether in gun handling or something else.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I wonder if his dad was wearing blaze orange (on his own property.)

Blaze orange is not required in NY. Although it is stongly recommend.
Man mistakes his brother for a coyote -

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...killed-brother-hunting-article-1.2875941
Any hunting the hunter stories going around? The one sounds like it could be. The bullet, angle, determined velocity could tell if it was a stray long shot or someone tring to get away with it.

Sad for those involved. The rest, where the heck is your brain?
Originally Posted by jnyork
MISTAKENLY kills his father, chest shot a 100 yards after hearing a noise?

I would HOPE the investigation is continuing. eek

This.
After reading one of the articles, I googled up their location.

Father/son only live about 700 yards from each other. Makes me think they knew the ground like the back of their hand.

Was someone butthurt they didn't get invited over for Turkey dinner???
Dad was probably one of 343 people in NY that voted for Trump.
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Police say their investigation is continuing.

Maybe not an accident?

This, WTF!
Originally Posted by 12344mag
If the old codger was dressed in a white tail coat the kid never should have mistaken him for a deer!

I have never understood how a human can be mistaken for a four legged animal, no wonder Obama was elected.

58 years old is a old codger?
Originally Posted by Kenlguy

wtf is this old guy stuff! he was just a pup! way to young to die thats for sure!
Intentional or not, sonny should do some serious time.
Sad story, yes. But for some reason I can't all broken up about it. I have 3 daughters. Usually I only get to hunt with one of them at a time and even that's rare. When the 4 of us manage to get together in the woods at the same time, every squirrel, woodpecker, chickadee, cardinal and nuthatch is bracketed.
This goes back to using one's scope to check out a potential target, rather than binoculars.

The first rule of gun safety is never point your gun at something you do not intend to shoot.
Since a man doesn't look even remotely like a deer, how can you pick a point of aim and make that kind of mistake?
One of my Dad's best buds was shot by his nephew 30+ years ago here in north central FL.

Thank God, he is still kicking. Barely pulled through. Great guy. He and his wife drove all the way from NC mountains just to be at my Dad's funeral and pay their respects to the family.
© 24hourcampfire