Home
Posted By: Carbie ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Dose anyone know a gunsmith in NH that works on ruger 44 mag carbines ?
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Whats the problem with it? Someone here might be able to offer some info on how to fix it.

Welcome to the Campfire.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Welcome to the Fire.

Lots of very knowledgeable folks on here, give the ole' goats a try.

Posted By: fgold767 Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Also ask on RugerForum.com
Posted By: rlott Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Save the cartridges for a S&W M29....and make a 'boat anchor' out of it!!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Rody's Gun Shop in Newport, NH.

If its a Ruger and the Rody Brothers, Henry and Bill, can't fix it, it can't be fixed.

603-863-3356

PS - I have a 1967 vintage 44 International that has always worked flawlessly, but if it needed to be worked on, the first call I'd make would be to Rody's.
Posted By: memtb Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Sharpsman, I have a cousin who dog hunts deer in the Atchafalaya Basin, who loves his River 44. He's taken more than a few deer and hogs with it! A great close range, fast pointing, semi-auto, for running deer! memtb
Posted By: kid0917 Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
I had one many years ago, it was a fun gun. would drive a tack.... if the round happened to land on one.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
I bought a new one in 1980 and it was ok but did not feel as nice as the earlier models that had a milled receiver. I wish I still had it . Warehouse foreman where I worked at the time hunted up and down the northeast and killed 30+ bucks with his , he said it stoned them .
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Wish I still had mine. It was stolen years ago.
Posted By: EdM Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
They are great little rifle. Mine shoots both the 250 gr Partition and 270 gr GD over 4227 very well. I bedded the stock to the recoil block and added a proper lock washer to the through bolt as mine came unknowingly loose cracking the stock.
I will add that Numrich has loads of parts for them so I bought a set of springs and other parts that might wear.
Posted By: deflave Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Not all Ruger 44 Carbines are the same or equal.

That being said Blackheart and gunwizard are self-described gunsmiths and I believe they both reside in the NE.

Don't be bothered by the crossed-eyes. They know their schit.

Dave
My 44 International shoots 2 to 3 MOA at 100 yards with every brand and style of 240 grain ammo that I've tried. With the light recoil, it is easy to double or triple tap the target.

One of the few pictures that I have of my Father hunting is one with him and Bearrr264's Father posing with their Ruger 44 Carbines and two big northern New Hampshire whitetail that are on top of a 1966 or 1967 vintage green Jeep Wagoneer. I remember that it was in 1968, 'cause they had so much snow that my Father had to wade out of deer camp and get someone to bring in a log skidder with a blade to clear the road. I was in school, so I didn't get to go, but Bear was on leave between his assignment with the 9th ID in the Mekong Delta and then as an adviser. I remember him saying that the transition from the tropics to the cold of Colebrook, NH, was too quick for comfort.
Posted By: deflave Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
If I was alive in 1966 I wouldn't hunt with an AR either.

Travis
Posted By: luv2safari Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
I remember their first ads in the sporting magazines. It had a photo of a guy with a big dead mountain gorilla that he shot with it.

Times Have changed. shocked grin
Posted By: cra1948 Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Originally Posted by EdM
They are great little rifle. Mine shoots both the 250 gr Partition and 270 gr GD over 4227 very well. I bedded the stock to the recoil block and added a proper lock washer to the through bolt as mine came unknowingly loose cracking the stock.

I bought one when I was home on leave from the Navy in 1968. My (now) wife's grandfather had one. He took me hunting as a kid and gave me my first job as a teenager. I idolized the man and always wanted one of those .44 carbines.

I never got to hunt with it until after I returned from SEA in the early seventies. I killed some deer with it, but never got the accuracy I thought I should have with it. At some point I read a how-to article in Rifle magazine (back when it was a serious shooter/tinker/amateur gunsmith magazine) on bedding the carbine for better accuracy. I did as illustrated, Acraglassed the recoil block to the stock and the gas block up at the end of the fore end. It'll hold well under 2" now. I shoot the same load I use in all my .44 mags: 23.3 grains of H-110 under a 240 grain XTP-HP.

I killed my biggest deer and my nicest rack with it. One was a 216 pound 9 point (at 200 yards) and the other a beautiful, long tine, calendar picture perfect 10 point (at closer to 20 yards.)

It is a fast handling gun that (for me) always come upon target.

Like any gas gun, they have to be kept clean.
Posted By: remrug77 Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Wish I still had mine. It was stolen years ago.

That sucks. My dad stopped hunting after his was stolen.He is gone now and I really wish I could be hunting with his favorite rifle
I long to throttle a northern Idaho mountain lion with mine.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by deflave
If I was alive in 1966 I wouldn't hunt with an AR either.

Travis

Semi-autos from Rem, Rug, and Win were pretty common in the New England deer woods back in the late 1960's. A lot of WW2 and Korea vets were fans of the firepower that their Garands put out on the battlefield and that experience translated to many of them being Remington 740/742 users in the deer woods.

When I started deer hunting, my Father wanted to start me off right, so he outfitted me with a Remington 660 in 6mm to use when hunting fields and the Ruger 44 International to use when still-hunting. I never saw a tree stand until the early 1980's, it was all standing, driving, or still-hunting back then.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
I had one of the new-model ones they came out with about 15 years ago. They have a rotating bolt similar to a Garand or M14.

It was reasonably accurate. It did have reliability issues. Ruger sent me a couple new mags to try; didn't help.

The ejecting brass would beat up your scope, too.

Other than that it was cool. It handled like a big 10/22.
Posted By: memtb Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
In 1972 or 73 at the Howard Johnson's Hotel in New Orleans, a black guy, armed with a Ruger 44 carbine killed several police officers, a fireman or two and several civilians. A National Guard (I think) chopper was called in after a day or two standoff. They shot the hell out of the roof of the Hyatt, and killed the shooter. We weren't as "touchy - feely" back then! ! memtb
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/27/16
Someday maybe I will buy another 44mag carbine. I am thinking the 458socom would be fun but not as lite and fun as a 44 mag.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
Originally Posted by kid0917
I had one many years ago, it was a fun gun. would drive a tack.... if the round happened to land on one.

Same experience here, too but did kill an 8pt crossing a pipeline with it at a measured 178 yds. No skill involved in that one.
Posted By: joken2 Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16

First deer I ever killed was with a .44 mag Ruger carbine.

Don't know if there was any truth to it but I've heard some claim that when the .44 Ruger carbine first came out factory .44 magnum ammo sold at that time was loaded for pistols which caused some to have problems.

Back when the state of Indiana started allowing rifles chambered in certain centerfire handgun calibers for deer hunting the .44 mag Ruger carbines as well as any rifle chambered in .44 magnum soon was in big demand and sold quick.

Posted By: rockinbbar Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
Something tells me that the OP isn't very interested in his own topic... whistle

He's a one shot wonder.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
I have had a Ruger .44 mag carbine since 1976 have had a lot of fun with it and taken a lot of game with it. gave it away yesterday to a friend, he had one that belonged to his grand father, who was a big deer hunter in N.C. his was stolen last summer. Rio7
Posted By: cra1948 Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
This thread would seem to indicate that Ruger .44 mag carbines get stolen a lot.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
Had one in the 60's killed a few deer with it in WV but traded it for a SSA 45-LC and some cash.Best move I ever made.
Posted By: Gus Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
my bil has a early tube-fed .44 carbines. his feeds well enough.

i understand the rotary mag fed machines do work a bit better, but do deflect the spent brass off the scope a lot.

he got a tang safety ruger in .270 and never looked back.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
In Todd County Kentucky in 1964, a buck with the nickname of "Big Red" was killed in that county's first deer season in modern times. Big Red had an inside spread of 30 and 2/8 inches, an outside spread of over 36, and field dressed at 260 pounds. Years later I was fortunate to hunt on the farm where the deer was taken, and was told the story by the landowner. In addition, while on a hunt at Kentucky's Land Between the Lakes, I met and talked with a hunter who was a friend of the man who killed Big Red. Big Red was killed with a Ruger 44 carbine, and the hunter fired 14 shots, with a good number of those being hits. He saved his last shell, and finished the deer off with his knife. The first story appeared in Outdoor Life magazine, and there was no mention of how many shots were fired, or how many times the deer was hit, only that the rifle used was a Ruger 44 carbine. More than one person has told me that Ruger asked the hunter not to publish how many times he shot, and I even heard that they paid him not to.....a claim to which I have absolutely no proof. In addition to the Outdoor Life story, there is also a story in an old North American Whitetail publication, titled "Legendary Whitetails". I have no dog in this hunt, but I can tell you that because of this story, you practically never see a 44 Magnum cartridge or the Ruger carbine that used it in use in this part of the country. I have heard more than one local say that they would never use that combination because of the Big Red story.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
Don't blame the gun blame the shooter !! Rio7
Posted By: deflave Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
Originally Posted by JamesJr
In Todd County Kentucky in 1964, a buck with the nickname of "Big Red" was killed in that county's first deer season in modern times. Big Red had an inside spread of 30 and 2/8 inches, an outside spread of over 36, and field dressed at 260 pounds. Years later I was fortunate to hunt on the farm where the deer was taken, and was told the story by the landowner. In addition, while on a hunt at Kentucky's Land Between the Lakes, I met and talked with a hunter who was a friend of the man who killed Big Red. Big Red was killed with a Ruger 44 carbine, and the hunter fired 14 shots, with a good number of those being hits. He saved his last shell, and finished the deer off with his knife. The first story appeared in Outdoor Life magazine, and there was no mention of how many shots were fired, or how many times the deer was hit, only that the rifle used was a Ruger 44 carbine. More than one person has told me that Ruger asked the hunter not to publish how many times he shot, and I even heard that they paid him not to.....a claim to which I have absolutely no proof. In addition to the Outdoor Life story, there is also a story in an old North American Whitetail publication, titled "Legendary Whitetails". I have no dog in this hunt, but I can tell you that because of this story, you practically never see a 44 Magnum cartridge or the Ruger carbine that used it in use in this part of the country. I have heard more than one local say that they would never use that combination because of the Big Red story.

Are you trying to say:

A.) The hunter couldn't shoot?
B.) The .44 mag is an ineffective whitetail cartridge?
C.) The Ruger Carbines are horribly inaccurate?
D.) Everybody in Todd County has a forehead the size of a Volkswagen?

Clark
Posted By: rlott Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16

Are you trying to say:

A.) The hunter couldn't shoot?
B.) The .44 mag is an ineffective whitetail cartridge?
C.) The Ruger Carbines are horribly inaccurate?
D.) Everybody in Todd County has a forehead the size of a Volkswagen?

Clark

I'll pick D.

I do know if you put 10 through one back to back you can't touch the barrel for a while.
Posted By: deflave Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
I didn't even know they held 10 rounds!

I want a 96 more than anything. I kick myself for not buying them when they were being produced. All of them.

Travis

Not that I'm calling anyone a liar, but that thing held 4 cartridges right? Who carries around 10 extra 44mag cartridges in their pockets?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Not that I'm calling anyone a liar, but that thing held 4 cartridges right? Who carries around 10 extra 44mag cartridges in their pockets?

I wasn't the one that wrote the story in North American Whitetail, the writer interviewed the man who killed the deer, and they were his words. Someone who saw the deer after it was killed said it was full of holes, mostly as result of bad shooting, I suppose.

Now, for the other people who commented on this.....one of you I'll ignore because you are a proven arsehole. To the other, or others, whichever happens to be the case, I'm just relating the story as it was told. If you have an issue with that, then take the time to contact them.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
Call Ruger. See if they will take it in. I sent one in years ago for a replacement stock. They went through the rifle completely. Replaced a lot of parts...billed me $40 for the stock replacement.

Someone who saw the deer after it was killed said it was full of holes, mostly as result of bad shooting, I suppose.

Laffin, that must have been a sight to behold...

My dad got excited one time and put all 5 of his .243 rounds in one, 14 would have taken some work..

This one, if you squint, you can see 3 maybe 4 hits, poor bastard wasn't gonna make it to the fence line...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rlott Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16

I want a 96 more than anything. I kick myself for not buying them when they were being produced. All of them.

Travis

They hold 5. What I'm talking about is if you pickle off 5, then reload quick, and pickle off another 5.

You pretty much need a hat or rag to hold onto it and get the second 5 loaded, and by the time the second 5 leave the pipe, you pretty much can't touch anything metal forward of the bolt without a welding glove.

I'm exaggerating, but not that much. It gets really hot, really quick. I suspect that's at least part of the reason Ruger never messed with a large cap magazine version.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/28/16
Originally Posted by rlott

Travis

They hold 5. What I'm talking about is if you pickle off 5, then reload quick, and pickle off another 5.

You pretty much need a hat or rag to hold onto it and get the second 5 loaded, and by the time the second 5 leave the pipe, you pretty much can't touch anything metal forward of the bolt without a welding glove.

I'm exaggerating, but not that much. It gets really hot, really quick. I suspect that's at least part of the reason Ruger never messed with a large cap magazine version.

Didn't the 96 have a rotorary mag...or am I mistaken?
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/29/16
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by rlott

Travis

Didn't the 96 have a rotorary mag...or am I mistaken?

Yes...rotary magazine....22 LR, 22 Mag, and 44 Mag 96 used same magazine as the semi-auto's......
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/29/16
Big Red had an inside spread of 30 and 2/8 inches,

2/8's inches? I had heard it was 5/10's.
Posted By: hookeye Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/29/16
Pops has a '66 Sporter. Has big bead front and a peep on receiver (standard folding rear also).
Cool gun, but bead too big to run last 75 yards.
He won't let me swap it out LOL.
IN went PCR a while back, I popped a button (thought it a doe).....DRT. Norma 236gr factory ammo, bought in '80.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/29/16
Originally Posted by hookeye
Pops has a '66 Sporter. Has big bead front and a peep on receiver (standard folding rear also).
Cool gun, but bead too big to run last 75 yards.
He won't let me swap it out LOL.
IN went PCR a while back, I popped a button (thought it a doe).....DRT. Norma 236gr factory ammo, bought in '80.

I used to use Norma factory loads in my .44 carbine before I started loaded .44 mags. They used to put out a "Carbine Load" in boxes of 20. I got a box once in which one round had the bullet seated upside down.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/29/16
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Someone who saw the deer after it was killed said it was full of holes, mostly as result of bad shooting, I suppose.

Laffin, that must have been a sight to behold...

My dad got excited one time and put all 5 of his .243 rounds in one, 14 would have taken some work..

This one, if you squint, you can see 3 maybe 4 hits, poor bastard wasn't gonna make it to the fence line...

[Linked Image]

I'm always somewhat amused by game pictures with the weapon pointing at the hunter.
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I'm always somewhat amused by game pictures with the weapon pointing at the hunter.

Unloaded, bolt open..
Posted By: BeanMan Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/29/16
Wouldn't catch me doing it no matter what.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/29/16
Originally Posted by memtb
In 1972 or 73 at the Howard Johnson's Hotel in New Orleans, a black guy, armed with a Ruger 44 carbine killed several police officers, a fireman or two and several civilians. A National Guard (I think) chopper was called in after a day or two standoff. They shot the hell out of the roof of the Hyatt, and killed the shooter. We weren't as "touchy - feely" back then! ! memtb

It was January 7, 1973, the shooter was a guy named Mark Essex, and he was armed with a Ruger .44 carbine. He didn't have much trouble hitting people. The incident has been likened to the Dallas police attacks. There is a lot of info on the Internet.

(As an aside, 5 months later, about a mile away from the HoJo sniper deal, the worst murder of gays in the U.S. prior to Orlando occurred at the Upstairs Lounge in N.O. It seems like 1973 all over again.)
Posted By: deflave Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/29/16
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Wouldn't catch me doing it no matter what.

Do you walk down range when the line is clear?

Dave
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/29/16
If the deer is still moving, then it gets shot until it isn't. I don't see a problem with that.
Posted By: memtb Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 11/30/16
Cheyenne, Completely of topic but, in January 1972 there was a confrontation in Baton Rouge (I was working about 8 miles away that day), between Chicago based Black Muslims(a real shocker) and our local police. I knew one of the Sheriff's Deputies who was killed and one who was severely injured. A close friend( a Sargent in the Sheriff's Dept.),eliminated one of the threats and saved the tax payers of Louisiana a lot of money! Our local police upgraded their riot gear and their handguns soon after. memtb
Posted By: milespatton Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 12/09/16
Save the cartridges for a S&W M29....and make a 'boat anchor' out of it!!

On of the biggest bucks that I ever killed was with a .30 carbine. Not my first choice, but when I got to deer camp the rear sight was broke on my 30-30, so I borrowed a gun. One shot at about 75 yards and a big 10 point down. miles
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 12/09/16
notice that the original poster has disappeared.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 12/09/16
My wife's uncle ate a lot of venison as the result of carrying a .44 mag Ruger carbine. He was a competitive shooter during his time in the Army and had lilttle trouble making that Ruger accurate and deadly. We were standing together one time when a 6 point came busting through the brush. He had a window about the size of a baseball glove to sneak a round through and hit that bugger on a dead run. It was dead before it even hit the ground. Clipped it right in the heart.
Posted By: rost495 Re: ruger 44 mag carbines - 12/09/16
Well no it wasn't dead before it hit the ground. But very close.

I really would like a 44 carbine to put a suppressor on, but that likely won't ever happen. Its a want, not a need.

Unless the safe hearing act happens and cans go down in price.
© 24hourcampfire