Home
Posted By: g5m Therapy dog killed by bowhunter - 12/02/16
This is pretty ridiculous. Thoughtful hunter.

http://www.newson6.com/story/338368...old-battling-cancer-killed-by-bow-hunter
Pretty one sided story. I guess I'll wait for the other side before getting too worked up over it.
Some of the comments below the article were worth a quick glance....

pretty funny really, a bunch of liberals trying to act like Baddasses...

like the one guy who wants the hunters name and address so he can go see him and then kill him.....

article doesn't relay all the facts, so there is plenty of typical media attempt at max shock factors....and the commenters buy right into it..
I have killed more than one free range dog when afield. Not much sympathy here.
Anytime we see a dog we kill it. Same for Aoudads.
"off their property."

It's kinda like "while fighting the cops."

sad story either way

I am pretty sick of all these "THERAPY" dogs s o b go into a restaurant to eat and some two bit sleeze bag comes in packing a freaking dog!! What the F%^K?????? Not a seeing eye dog I understand and respect that.
These stories of 'shooting the neighbor's dog' while hunting often don't go over well in social media. Look at that guy in PA I think who shot the two dogs.

Not saying there isn't a time & a place, but I'll try a few other options before shooting. Most dogs can be handled without firearms, even shooting the dirt in front of them usually gets their attention.

Of course, if Fido has his fangs around your shin, do whatever you want.
Looks vicious. Got some basset in him for sure.

Fella is lucky he wasn't mauled.
Real therapy dogs have a purpose and special insignia that have to be worn in public after certification. They are not that common. Most are counterfeited by "look at me, I'm special" types, namely greenies.
Just because I can do something, doesn't mean I should.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

well said
Don't care.

Dave
Heck, I killed a dog on a hunt years ago. Damned thing was chasing deer. I watched it all day and finally decided to put it down that evening. It obviously didn't belong to anyone. It was living out in the middle of nowhere.

Agreed. I won't do it with a bow, because of the opportunity to create bad optics. Much like I didn't shoot scores of people as a cop, even though they asked for it. It's bad for business.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Agreed. I won't do it with a bow, because of the opportunity to create bad optics. Much like I didn't shoot scores of people as a cop, even though they asked for it. It's bad for business.

Also well said.
Well, the hunter did say the dog was trying to bite him.

We've shot em chasing deer
My niece tried to bite me once and she's bigger than that dog.

he must be a hell of a shot to it between the eyes while it was charging him, more than likely the dog was out there taking a dump or something and he didn't like the dog being around where he was hunting.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
he must be a hell of a shot to it between the eyes while it was charging him, more than likely the dog was out there taking a dump or something and he didn't like the dog being around where he was hunting.

That's my thought.
My niece tried to bite me once and she's bigger than that dog.

did you attend the funeral? whistle

That's my thought.

Probably. Shooting the dog may, or may not, have been the right thing to do. We weren't there. You don't have to be there to know that allowing your dog to run loose on somebody else's hunting property is the wrong thing to do.
That is one fearsome dog , I bet the bowhunter shat his pants when he charged. I bet he has decimated the local deer herd.
Cops shoot family pets all the time for any reason. What's the big deal?
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Cops shoot family pets all the time for any reason. What's the big deal?

...and just like people, they don't shoot a fraction of the ones they should. Too much BS to deal with.

That's my thought.

Probably. Shooting the dog may, or may not, have been the right thing to do. We weren't there. You don't have to be there to know that allowing your dog to run loose on somebody else's hunting property is the wrong thing to do.
agree, just pointing out the guy is not being honest.

That's my thought.

agree, just pointing out the guy is not being honest.

Dog was obviously pretty close based on shot placement and only one person knows how aggressive he was. I doubt dusting him up with an arrow at his feet would be of much benefit.
There are a couple of half grown pups that showed up here at our place she can have to replace her dog.
We're getting ready to head out and see if they've been chipped, although I'm guessing not.
I think they were a couple of rambunctious pups that someone couldn't handle and dumped out in the country.
I always worry about this kind of thing. I have a lot of hunters on my place, mostly bird hunters on the home place.

I have dogs, protective, not vicious.

So far I have not had any trouble with hunters.......

I guess most of them understand that they had better not shoot a dog out here.

Next year when I by sheep and guard dogs, I suppose I will have to post signs about keeping away and no dogs.
I grew up dairying. We've had two expensive milk cows relegated to 250$ stocker cows by peoples "Pet dogs"
My dad took the position that dogs were worse than coyotes and told us to shoot on sight any dogs on our place.
To this day I kill them all and let God sort them out.
I keep my dogs up, everyone else should to.

What people are trying to show is that hunters only want to kill stuff. That dog was just sniffing flowers and bounding around in a nice open meadow chasing butterflies, when the nasty hunter came along and just for the fun of it, killed the dog.

Of course every dog owner knows their dog doesn't bite anybody, while the guy that gets bitten doesn't know the dog doesn't really bit.
It would only happen once on my land.

Next day it would all be posted.
Not all therapy dogs are seeing eye dogs. Many just provide emotional relief. I've been around many and they are often pretty magical with people.

I've also known one guy who bought a "Therapy Dog in Training" vest for his dog so it could fly on an airline with him. My opinion of that is probably what most of yours are likely to be.
Theres holes all through this story. First, individuals don't have "Therapy" dogs, unless it is to take them to hospitals and other venues as Therapy for patients.
Second,if it was a treasured "Therapy" dog what the hell was it doing running loose? JFC a decent pet owner doesn't even let their dog run loose.
I don't like the sound of the bowhunters side of the story either...
I am a big time dog lover. I don't get to hunt much and when I do, I have to put a good bit of time into it. I can't tell you how many hunts have been screwed up on account of someone's dog running through the private property I was hunting. It pisses me off but good. I have had my crosshairs on them ready to squeeze the trigger, and just can't bring myself to do it. The people that own the dogs will just replace them with another dog that will do the same thing. The deer hunters who use dogs around here keep them penned up and pay no attention to them for most of the year. It's just a cost of doing business when their dogs get shot. My son-in-law stacks them up though. Then takes their radio collars way don into a tangled hell and tosses them.
I got a therapy beaver.
Knucklehead meets knucklehead, coming through the rye. Dog pays the price.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Theres holes all through this story. First, individuals don't have "Therapy" dogs, unless it is to take them to hospitals and other venues as Therapy for patients.
Second,if it was a treasured "Therapy" dog what the hell was it doing running loose? JFC a decent pet owner doesn't even let their dog run loose.
I don't like the sound of the bowhunters side of the story either...

This. Also, I must have missed it, but what kind of dog was it?
People get way to uptight about dogs and deer. I have had hot races blow through and then see big deer ten minutes later acting like nothing was wrong. A deer pays no more attention to a lone pet than it does a lone coyote. I've seen, even shot coyotes, and then have seen an undisturbed deer before my ears stopped ringing.
Keep your dog on your own property and this won't happen. Doesn't matter what the dog is or does you're responsible for it. I know if my "therapy" dog was on the loose, I'd be walking around hollering for it or asking for neighboring properties to keep a lookout, but thats not going to happen because she's fenced in and I keep her on a leash when she isn't. If you can't be responsible with your dog, don't get one.

Shooting anything in the head with an arrow is stupid, much less a dog.

The media hasn't learned a damn thing from this past election and will continue to slide. They are right to question the moron for shooting the dog but they should dump the liberal narrative and start asking the "loving pastor" why the hell he didn't keep the animal on his property.

If responsibility came with a nice set of tits, betcha this world would be a better place!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RWE
I got a therapy beaver.

Me too, just that the damn thing is never around when I need it.
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/bow...-therapy-dog-with-shot-between-the-eyes/

eek

Shelby Shuffitt and her grandfather, Junior Gray, were taking one of their Saturday walks when her service animal ran off barking along their property line, and then they heard the dog crying, reported KOTV-TV.

The girl and her grandfather found Tank with an arrow between his eyes, and then they spotted the bow hunter standing just off their property in Wagoner County.
THat's the dog??? jeez
Thinking I've given waaay too many bears a pass. mad Time to re-think my actions and perhaps take up taxidermy on the side.
The hunter was just being a dick. No reason to shoot that dog.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
THat's the dog??? jeez

Yep...
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by jorgeI
THat's the dog??? jeez

Yep...

That is just so wrong.
People are dicks.
That shooter (won't call the prick a hunter) ought to have that arrow shoved up his ass.
Originally Posted by 4ager
That shooter (won't call the prick a hunter) ought to have that arrow shoved up his ass.

This.. The story just sounds fishy to me..
"off their property."

Exactly.

It's difficult for my to beleive a bowhunter would kill a dog unless the dog really was up close and acting aggressive.

I've had to shoot quite a few livestock chasing dogs in the past. Don't like it, but like the alternative less.

Casey
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
"off their property."

Exactly.

It's difficult for my to beleive a bowhunter would kill a dog unless the dog really was up close and acting aggressive.

I've had to shoot quite a few livestock chasing dogs in the past. Don't like it, but like the alternative less.

Casey

Did you LOOK at the picture of the "aggressive" dog? GMAFB..
Originally Posted by Stan V

It was a fuggin' Beagle, grab the bassturd by the throat and pin him up against a tree.

The fugger will run home like a scared cat.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Stan V

It was a fuggin' Beagle, grab the bassturd by the throat and pin him up against a tree.

The fugger will run home like a scared cat.

This. It was an old beagle. SOB might have been dangerous to a biscuit.
Killing a dog like that because it charged you is akin to shooting your neighbor's toddler because it ran up to you with a butter knife.
It's not that hard to understand. Private property. Don't cross that line and everything else takes care of itself.
It's not that hard to understand. Private property. Don't cross that line and everything else takes care of itself.

It's a damn good thing you don't have public land and that you have to pay for the privilege to hunt. Your attitude and lack of logic or compassion would be your downfall around here. You wouldn't last a week. You typify the ugly, arrogant Texan that most westerners can't stand.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I grew up dairying. We've had two expensive milk cows relegated to 250$ stocker cows by peoples "Pet dogs"
My dad took the position that dogs were worse than coyotes and told us to shoot on sight any dogs on our place.
To this day I kill them all and let God sort them out.
I keep my dogs up, everyone else should to.

I have a bud who grew up in a similar situation on a farm and had to shoot dogs to protect the livestock. Bud had to shoot the neighbor's pet dog after repeatedly harassing/killing livestock. Didn't go over well and the neighbor had to stare at the barrel of a shotgun until the sheriff arrived.

That buddy hates him some dogs. He showed up at my house years ago when the roommate and I both had dogs- he hadn't been over before at that time. He got literally two steps inside the door before all three of the dogs were lined up next to me, growling and ready to attack my friend. Dogs just know. Most dogs are better than most people.

You got dogs, keep them on your property. Keep them well trained. They leave your property, they might get hurt. I LOVE dogs. But they need to be under control. End of story.

This. Something about 9/10ths of the law and all. And some people just hate cops, period. We'll let them show themselves.
Hunter is in the wrong and there is no defending his actions if he fired into somebody else's property. so it matters where the dog was at the time it was shot.

I've had hunts destroyed by dogs running deer, and I've shot a pack of feral dogs tha were killing my cat on my property.
As for therapy dogs, I had two that were certified for Hospital visitation.
they have to be well trained and not a dog that will jump up or push on someone they could hurt a child or an old person if they did. of all the tricks or commands to teach a dog, the hardest is to get them to sit down and let another dog check them out.
other than a notation on his dog tags there's no visible sign that a dog is a therapy dog, unless he's in his working rig. ( harness, Panneers ,guide handle,,ect) however that does not mean he cannot be a guard dog for the property as well. (Rocky) was on his best behavior any time he was in harness, but was also trained to defend my children, and to find them on command. He knew his property lines without a shock collar.
few dogs measure up to a therapy dog.

Edit: we've had several hundred dogs through here the last couple of years we help out with the local dog shelter and a Rescue
Originally Posted by mohick
I am pretty sick of all these "THERAPY" dogs s o b go into a restaurant to eat and some two bit sleeze bag comes in packing a freaking dog!! What the F%^K?????? Not a seeing eye dog I understand and respect that.

+10000
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

It's a damn good thing you don't have public land and that you have to pay for the privilege to hunt. Your attitude and lack of logic or compassion would be your downfall around here. You wouldn't last a week. You typify the ugly, arrogant Texan that most westerners can't stand.

It is very easy, if you don't want your property/animals destroyed then keep them leashed or on your own property.
© 24hourcampfire