Home
Posted By: stxhunter amazon prime - 12/04/16
ordered a scope yesterday morning, got it just now.....
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
Originally Posted by stxhunter
ordered a scope yesterday morning, got it just now.....

I get stuff like that pretty regular from them.

Through the U.S. mail, no doubt! ??? shocked

Let someone send a check through the mail, and it gets here MUCH later... grin
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
Yep. Needed a new kitchen timer of all things, ordered it on a Friday morning and it was delivered Sunday morning. I think that's the first time in my life I've had a Sunday delivery.

I actually got Prime for the streaming TV service but am buying more and more stuff from them to take advantage of the free two day shipping. They don't always have everything you need online but pretty close to it. Needed some Talley rings for a new Tikka and found a used but like new set for half of the best price I'd found at any other online dealer - and it got here about twice as fast as it would have from another dealer.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
I use Prime because it's easier and cheaper than driving into town.
Posted By: jnyork Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
I got it for the shipping and have probably doubled my money.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
Amazon's opened shipping centers in 25 cities.

You will see a lot more of the "Wow, I got it in one day!" from them.
Posted By: KFWA Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
love prime

got ripped off by two "new" 3rd party resellers in the past 2 weeks on Amazon though.

Amazon made good on the refund but I ended up having to pay almost twice as much for a replacement.

They need to get better vetting on their sellers.

Prime is great for video, music and now Alexa enabled apps too.

I would probably give up several other things before I gave up Prime right now.
Posted By: JSH Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
I can't believe how fast they ship. I once ordered a small item on a Saturday afternoon and the mailman showed up with it on Sunday just before noon. It wasn't something that was urgent at all. I wish they would give you an option to opt out of the fast shipping when you don't need it. I felt bad for them going to all that trouble for a $10 item that I didn't need fast. It is well worth the money and the movies and music are a nice benefit.
Posted By: Hugh Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
We do not get mail on Sunday.That is fast for sure.
Posted By: ingwe Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
I don't buy enough from them to justify Prime, but I had one of their credit cards and they felt justified in charging me for Prime even though I didn't request it.... mad

One phone call and a pair of scissors later and the problem was solved!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
Just started the 30 day trial, figure the shipping is easily worth it.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
I signed up for Prime recently. One thing I like is to be able to ship to various addresses. Saves me from getting the item, and then re shipping to a family member that the item was for.
The streaming stuff seems to be much of a bait and switch. Lots of the offerings require an additional subscription to say Acorn or another service.
The video looks like you have to pay for most of it. The 'stations' are not nearly as good as Pandora, which I already had.
Prime is a good value, for the free shipping alone.
Posted By: edk Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
My wife had signed up for prime. Seems to work well for us. ED K
Posted By: KFWA Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
Originally Posted by JSH
I can't believe how fast they ship. I once ordered a small item on a Saturday afternoon and the mailman showed up with it on Sunday just before noon. It wasn't something that was urgent at all. I wish they would give you an option to opt out of the fast shipping when you don't need it. I felt bad for them going to all that trouble for a $10 item that I didn't need fast. It is well worth the money and the movies and music are a nice benefit.

they do give you an option - often if you take regular 5 day delivery they give you a credit for movies or food. The amount varies from item to item

I just used a $5 pantry credit that I had because I postpone shipping an item that was available for one day shipping
Posted By: JSH Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
Originally Posted by Hugh
We do not get mail on Sunday.That is fast for sure.

We don't normally get mail on Sundays either which made it even more surprising. Apparently they deliver some packages on Sundays now.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
That's something that disappointed me about the Prime TV as well. Only some - half maybe? - of the shows are included in the annual fee, the rest you have to pay for at $1.99 per episode which I won't do since you can find a lot of those for free on other streaming channels. Same with movies, some are included in the subscription fee but others are anywhere from .99 to $4.99 to "rent" for 48 hours or so - the price does go down over time.

It pays to shop around for the shows or movies you want to watch. If Amazon doesn't have it for free then Netflix or maybe HBO does. Speaking of, I got my HBO subscription through Prime for a good bit less than I would have paid for it straight from HBO and that gives you all of the HBO series and movies.

But the free shipping from Amazon really is worth a good part of the annual fee if someone orders a lot of things online. A friend of mine figures he and his wife do 80-90% of their purchases through Amazon these days.
Posted By: old_willys Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
Have a 60 day trial for prime and it has been great!

One of my hunting partners has the "Prime" buttons for stuff they order all the time and loves it! Amazon was selling them for $5 with $5 off your next order. He checked prices for paper towels, toilet paper, etc all was cheaper than even local stores including walmart.

Need paper towels just push the button it is programed for the item you want and sends the signal to your wireless router two days later your order is at your door!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
I've had Prime for about 5 years.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Let someone send a check through the mail, and it gets here MUCH later... grin

I have the same phenomenon here....I've been waiting for two weeks for a check a guy allegedly mailed to me for the shipping costs of a rifle and some ammo I sold him....
Funny part is.....the rifle only took five days to get to his 20...
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
Fast shipping and no sales tax. If I go buy something at any of the shopping centers, Bass Pro or Cabela's im going to pay 8-10% sales tax. Order it from Amazon and no tax and I don't have to drive to get it. I can pay $5 more for a $50 item and still save money not driving or paying taxes.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
I've bought a lot of stuff from Amazon and still do but shop around 1st. Their prices aren't the best on the web anymore by a long shot. They got people used to their low prices and then started jacking them up. They have some good deals but don't count on it without shopping around 1st.
Posted By: Pugs Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
Love it. Made up for my first year cost by getting free nexr day shipping on an anvil. grin
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
This house loves Prime. We buy enough from them that the shipping pays for the subscription so the video is essentially free.

Also we cut off the satellite dish a while back and are doing just fine with free local stations plus Netflix @ $8/month and Prime at $100/year.
Posted By: Wacenturion Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
Prime has all the advantages that were mentioned above. Only occasionally do I buy somewhere else due to a better price with all things considered....tax and shipping.

Easily pays for itself just in shipping savings alone.
Posted By: kingston Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
I'm a huge fan. Anymore, there's not much they don't sell.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16

Yup, same here.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16

^^^This^^^
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
Prime is great. Ive bought everything from gas priming bulbs to snow blowers! A king size bed and mattress, all shipped for free!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: amazon prime - 12/04/16
I signed up for prime in Sept 2011 with free trial.
The wife thought it was too expensive.... took her two days to change her mind..... years later she is still using my pass word to use prime to watch movies.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: amazon prime - 12/05/16
No Prime but I have had several Sunday deliveries from them.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: amazon prime - 12/05/16
So how much is the annual fee for having Prime?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: amazon prime - 12/05/16
99 bucks
Posted By: pointer Re: amazon prime - 12/05/16
Don't forget the photo backup that's included with Prime. Unlimited storage of digital photos on their system. I back up all my pics there.
Posted By: Cowboyvon Re: amazon prime - 12/05/16
Originally Posted by pointer
Don't forget the photo backup that's included with Prime. Unlimited storage of digital photos on their system. I back up all my pics there.
I have it and didn't know that Thanks!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: amazon prime - 12/05/16

the $99 isn't bad annually......I buy alot of Amazon...

nearly an hour away from any big stores is my reason...

free ship....no tax...IF you have no Amazon in your State..

free music & movie streaming for the Prime paying member...

along with sharing with 4 other family members or friends...

all they get is the 2 day ship free
Posted By: Calhoun Re: amazon prime - 12/05/16
Originally Posted by pointer

That's a very nice option... but spend $75 or so and get an external hard drive and keep a copy of your pics there also. Seen too many online photo places change their policies or make a screw up and "Poof!", there goes somebody's memories.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: amazon prime - 12/05/16
My sister got free Amazon Prime when she bought something years ago, still has it, and they ship to her place in
Chile!
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: amazon prime - 12/05/16
You can also set up multiple ship-to addresses and cards for Prime. We split a membership every year for the past 3 with my in-laws. Saves a ton on shipping and fuel costs driving around looking for an item that you know exactly what you want.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: amazon prime - 12/05/16
I laugh.
I got Prime years ago to read the free books. I read a lot. Kindle type reading.

The bonus is the few Items they sell that you can order with the free shipping shocked . I think they now have 4 big warehouses in the DFW area.
Plus the third party deals. Ordered an out dated riding lawn mower gas tank last summer. Needed one and received one from some small lawnmower shop in Alabama. He got rid of some old stock, I got a new old stock gas tank.
This kind of stuff is where the help is.
Posted By: akpls Re: amazon prime - 12/05/16
Last fall I ordered 3 sets of winter tires from Amazon. Each set was shipped Second-Day Air for free....to Alaska. Shipping for the same tires by Tire Rack would have been $220 per set!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: amazon prime - 12/06/16

Discount Tire is place.........

two weeks ago.....bought 4 new 265x75x16 BFG AT KO2's & wheels

mounted/wheels/caps/no tax/free ship...ordered Monday & bolted them

on the truck Wednesday......

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireSearch.do
© 24hourcampfire