Home
often, i can come outside and i'll hear snow geese flying by. usually, the lights from the city will illuminate their underside and they'll be visible against the dark sky.

last night was cloudy, and the sky was white/grey and i could't see a thing, BUT the geese were honkin' like I've NEVER heard them before. they took over 30 minutes to pass and they we're louder, (greater concentration) than ever. I sure wish it had been clear last night!
I saw a pile of snow geese heading east yesterday.

Pretty cool, dont see them that often.

Saw some on Saturday out hunting. I was on top of a big mountain, so they were pretty close. Neat to see and hear them.
Millions around here in the spring, but no feed and nothing stops in the fall.

Likely trying to find a way down through the clouds and fog in your location.

View looking toward my office in the spring.
Only issue with these photos is cleaning up all the goose poop that's in the air.
[Linked Image]
We're out of the flyway. We get a few but not in any numbers at all.
I used to live close to Swan Lake Refuge in Missouri, and there were times they'd blot out the sun. Noisy damned things......
Big storm coming in from the north pushing them down and around.
To me nothing is as fun as chasing huge flocks of snow geese and having them come into a good spread.
It turns into a ambush with the sky raining white geese.
whackem & stackem
You can get a couple pickup loads of good hog feed that way, they love em , and that's all they are good for!!!!!!
Call them nasty birds "sky carp". Shoot them all, ain't fit for human consumption, but OK for target practice.
Fun to shoot them
Been flying over for Two days now lotsa.
Posted By: edk Re: Snow Geese, and LOTS of Them ! - 12/05/16
Everybody here turns them into jerky. I tried some and it was good. ED K
jerky here also,not bad.
They're all heading down here! grin
Originally Posted by Hugh
jerky here also,not bad.

Down here, they make the gumbo pot. Specklebellies and Canadians are reserved for pot roast.
We will keep a few for jerky and breakfast sausage but the majority of what we shoot we give to a shelter for homeless women and children. They will take any wild game that is fresh.
It's a win-win.
We have a gas mowing them down and doing our part in reducing the population while helping put a hot meal in front of someone that is happy to have any kind of meal.
had bird strikes at the Memphis airport two days in a row
Originally Posted by Double_D
had bird strikes at the Memphis airport two days in a row

i hadn't heard that, but i'm not surprised!

been hearing them fly over. I've also heard them called "sky maggots"
They are flying over today/tonight by the tens of thousands, riding the storm south and east.

Haven't seen this many in the fall around here in a decade. They seem to have moved their migration pattern somewhat east this fall.
© 24hourcampfire