Home
Posted By: huntsman22 Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
A 10below selfie while feeding cows. minus 20 windchill.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Damn.

Bet you are breaking ice in troughs too....
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
the dog looks comfy....
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Burrrrr!

That picture reminded me;

My Dog's outside water dish was frozen over, so I went out and brought it in for de-icing, so she can have a drink when she goes out later.

She's sleeping in with Momma on my side of the bed right now....When I get up she gets the warm spot.(GRIN!)

Virgil B.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Talk about a three dog night!
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
13 below wind chill here. Not a good day for skinny dipping!
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Damn! Stay warm!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
A balmy -9 here last night Don. we are looking for + double digits next week...into the 20s!!! laugh
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
13 below wind chill here. Not a good day for skinny dipping!
Posted By: edk Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
0 here right now but its supposed to get 17 below tonight.It is December in North Dakota. Adapt or leave. I will be going south in a week. ED K
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Quite bitchin'.

Hell, if it weren't for climate change & global warming, it'd be 10 degrees colder..............

MM
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
That dog is like a honey badger, he don't give a [bleep].
Posted By: BMT Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Freezing rain here
Everybody's life called off for the day (school, etc.)
Kids sleeping in
Sometimes I like bad weather
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Damn must be nice to live in those tropical locales

Dishwasher work is hard to come by so guess I'll just stay put

We're apt to see above zero sometime...maybe
Posted By: stantdm Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Western South Dakota, just north of the Black Hills was a balmy -6 this morning. It's up to 2 now.

The wind ain't blowing much, the horse water ain't froze, the cattle water ain't froze, and everybody who has to stay outside is in the trees. So far, so good, except this chit is supposed to last another ten days or so.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Western South Dakota, just north of the Black Hills was a balmy -6 this morning. It's up to 2 now.

The wind ain't blowing much, the horse water ain't froze, the cattle water ain't froze, and everybody who has to stay outside is in the trees. So far, so good, except this chit is supposed to last another ten days or so.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
+10*F (windchill= -1*F) here in the banana belt.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
46 here in So. Nevada. Thought they might call school off but they are tuffing it out.
A couple of leaves fell from the trees last night. I might have to bundle up and go out and rake.

But probably not.

Seriously, this desert rat doesn't know how you guys survive. smile
Posted By: benchman Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
I'm sure glad wind chill hadn't been invented yet, when I used to go ice fishing on Presque Isle Bay. I can't let that slide. If you're from Erie, it's The Peninsula... Anyways, lotta wind, lotta cold.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
And no cab on that tractor?

Now I can feel a little sorry for you.

Been there and done that.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Damn, to cold for me!

On the brighter side you look better covered up like that. grin
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Makes my eyes water just looking at it...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
You know you can get a cab and heater now right?

17 below no wind here this morning.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Don, I do believe you could use a real beaver hat. When I worked 4 years in Barrow Alaska, it could get -40 to -60 and Beaver really works. Few Inuits wore them but once they did, they preferred them. Not a lot of Beavers up there handy, so I bought several hides and had them made the way I like them, they were very popular. I had them a little longer in the back to keep the neck warm and cut forward to help with the face. I also used a neoprene face mask and sometimes goggles. I also wore (like you) the black lined Carharts and some Cabelas -100 boots. I could stay toasty for quite a while outside.

BTW, I didn't let them use quilting on the inside, it almost can't get cold enough to wear comfortably. Instead I had them use a heavy satin fabric as a liner. Just right.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Originally Posted by NVhntr
46 here in So. Nevada. Thought they might call school off but they are tuffing it out.
A couple of leaves fell from the trees last night. I might have to bundle up and go out and rake.

But probably not.

Seriously, this desert rat doesn't know how you guys survive. smile

Yeah life in the desert is pretty nice this time of year. I am going up to Cold Creek tomorrow to do a hike and shoot and expect to endure temps in the low 40s w/ winds gusting up to 5mph. I better put on extra sunscreen.

He does look better wrapped up but I'll bet he has on trigger finger mitts and will find something to shoot. That dog would be great to hang out with.

mike r
Posted By: WildWest Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
-29 In Casper Wy,this morning. Feeding, when that cold, has its fun times.

Posted By: mark shubert Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Don, I'm hoping it thaws just a little - before it hits here tomorrow.
(We tend to get Denver weather the next day)
Posted By: 4ager Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
And no cab on that tractor?

Now I can feel a little sorry for you.

Been there and done that.

Betcha that seat is padded. Ain't gonna be a steel bucket and have an ass in it on days like that.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Been seeing new flights if geese and ducks around here.
Went out to the lakefront in the dark this morning and tossed in some decoys.
Nice flocks up high but I wasn't able to bring them in.
Got one duck and numb toes and fingers.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
Nobody should ever feel any sadness or remorse for livestock. I gave up on that a long ago.

It was a balmy 13 deg here this week, and I had a 14 month old steer for some stupid reason run full on and crash a fence. It broke a few strands but the bottom two were still intact. That idiot then stood back up, kinda sprung off the fence like a WWF wrestler, and fell over sideways. Then he walked over the fence and away from the pasture! I had to race all the way around with a 40MPH windchill on my face from that speeding Yamaha Rhino.

Chased him around a while hoping the others would not find their way out too. Finally quit that hopeless event. Went in got a loaf of bread, and fed him slowly back into the pasture. By this time, I'm frozen. Now back to the shop for the come along, staples, hammer, and some more two strand. All this steel stuff must be absolute zero to the touch it's so freaking cold!

Now I'm out there stretching wire, ratcheting and hammering all the while this moron steer is standing 15 feet away with full on steam streaming from his nostrils and drool almost reaching the ground.

I have become the steer version of Netflix for this moron. He just watches me struggle and freeze fixing his mess. So he is back in the pasture secure again. Don't believe that a fence is cattle proof, especially if they are horned. It's a visual deterrent at best.

Never gonna feel sorry butchering those pain in the ass beasts in my lifetime!
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/08/16
That's why they call it animal husbandry JJ. Dang near as bad as having a wife
Posted By: broomd Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/09/16
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Nobody should ever feel any sadness or remorse for livestock. I gave up on that a long ago.

It was a balmy 13 deg here this week, and I had a 14 month old steer for some stupid reason run full on and crash a fence. It broke a few strands but the bottom two were still intact. That idiot then stood back up, kinda sprung off the fence like a WWF wrestler, and fell over sideways. Then he walked over the fence and away from the pasture! I had to race all the way around with a 40MPH windchill on my face from that speeding Yamaha Rhino.

Chased him around a while hoping the others would not find their way out too. Finally quit that hopeless event. Went in got a loaf of bread, and fed him slowly back into the pasture. By this time, I'm frozen. Now back to the shop for the come along, staples, hammer, and some more two strand. All this steel stuff must be absolute zero to the touch it's so freaking cold!

Now I'm out there stretching wire, ratcheting and hammering all the while this moron steer is standing 15 feet away with full on steam streaming from his nostrils and drool almost reaching the ground.

I have become the steer version of Netflix for this moron. He just watches me struggle and freeze fixing his mess. So he is back in the pasture secure again. Don't believe that a fence is cattle proof, especially if they are horned. It's a visual deterrent at best.

Never gonna feel sorry butchering those pain in the ass beasts in my lifetime!

Funny stuff right there...I tell my wife that same thing. She's always whining about cold cows.

We have some Scottish Highland heifers and I swear they love the bitter cold.
Their back hair stays hard frosted all day, never thaws. Incredible thermal efficiency with that stuff. 100* animal with frozen hair...Look like musk ox out there.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/09/16
91ยบ here and humid...I am ready for the cold honestly.
Posted By: viking Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/09/16
I says to da wife last night: It's colder than a witches tit. She replies how do you what that's like? I just smiled and looked down at her chest. Lol. She smiled back.
Posted By: hanco Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/09/16
I couldn't make it when it's that cold
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/09/16
Don, I didnt recognize you, all wrapped up like that.

Be careful.

Posted By: edk Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/09/16
Well we got our first cold snap here in North Dakota. 16 below this morning but no wind yet. ED K
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/09/16
Actually a little snow on the ground out here at sea level. Looks kinda nice.

I'd be shocked if it lasted the day though. Probably get in the high thirties today and get a little rain.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16
the dog is liking his new coat.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16
I don't understand why people go outside when it's cold?

Dave
Posted By: Deans Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16
Don't envy all of you that take care of livestock. BTDT helping my Grandfather when he was still alive. Doesn't matter the weather or what you have to do, livestock get taken care of first.

There are two things I will always remember him saying. Livestock will give trouble at the worst possible time. And, when going somewhere, seeing livestock in someones pasture with their ribs and hip bones showing, his comment was "SOB shouldn't be allowed to own animals if he is not going to take care of them".

So ya'll be safe.

Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16
Feeding livestock at minus 10 or even lower has its challenges. But it still beats the hell out of working somewhere else for someone else.

We used to get weather like that every winter for a week or two. Usually the last week of Dec to the first two weeks of Jan.

We were only feeding 100 pair, a half dozen bulls, and thirty of last years calves. But I really enjoyed the winter of '80-81 when I got to harness a team every morning at dark-thirty for that day's feeding. Sabbath was extra fun, as we had to be finished feeding before daylight in order to get breakfast and make services on time.

But, heck, I have not even seen a calf with the ends of his ears frost bitten off since the early '80's.

Through the '70'S, a good share of our dairy herd had cropped ears. That was despite the calves always had a roof over their head and three walls.

Those damned heelers don't appear to have any kind of winter coat, but the little schitts are absolutely amazing. In the coldest of conditions, they are ready to go. They will be found rolling in the snow like a silly pup at 20 degrees below zero.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16
the dog is liking his new coat.....

[Linked Image]

He needs a hat too. I've seen a couple heelers with ears that have been frostbit!

It kinda' looks like you duct taped that coat on him.........

He's grown since your new puppy pic's.

Casey
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16
Originally Posted by deflave
I don't understand why people go outside when it's cold?

Dave

I think you need to cold weather test a few loads.......

Casey
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16
Looks like he's making a good pardner for you, Don.

Posted By: smokepole Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16
Originally Posted by huntsman22[Linked Image</div><div class=" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Don, I think you finally posted a photo showing your good side...... grin
Posted By: clos Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16
Damn cold!
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16
We've been stuck in a bit of a cold snap here too, hovering around -10F daytime and -17F overnight. Not too bad until it gets windy, then it gets a bit ugly. Chickens are feeling it, especially the roosters with their larger combs. The turkeys on the other hand don't seem to care a whole lot, till 2 days ago they still chose to roost outside overnight.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16

[Linked Image]

You and I should stick with the full cover look

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16
after all, we did go to different schools together....
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Nippy Bish... - 12/11/16
The last week has been fairly nippy indeed. Missouri froze over the other night and yesterday we started feeding the old cows so now everybody is waiting for chow in the morning.

Taught Whitey how to chop ice, he's a natural!

[Linked Image]

Flave, the key to dealing with the cold is turning up the heater in the pickup...duh.

[Linked Image]

And to really heat this thread up.....

Aviators, dink mawfackers, dink!

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire