Home
Posted By: helidriver72 Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/05/17

I came across this one in an old moose hunters cabin in Alaska this year and now I think I really need one. It's a .405 to boot. They're not cheap though!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/05/17
You sure that was Alaska? Looks more like the Cosmos near Rapid City, S.D.
Awesome pic of the Colonel.
Kaywoodie.... smile
Posted By: mudhen Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
Definitely Kaywoodie! He has some jewels!
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
KW just texted me that he cant get on the Fire anymore because of redirects.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Yep.

Shame, too. frown
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
Win expert KW says TR did not choot that rhino with the Win 95. He shot it with a H&H double rifle and Kermit handed him the 95 for the photo op.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
I have a half dozen old 1895 Winchesters,there nice guns but they carry awkward because of the magazine. There is one guy on " The Last Alaskans" that uses a 1895 winchester, Im not sure but i think i heard it was in 35 Winchester caliber.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
I want to here the story of finding the .405 in an "old moose hunters cabin". Knowing what original 1895s in .405 are going for, it's hard to fathom someone leaving it out there.
I have a couple, a SRC in .30-40 and a .405. I hunted the .405 some this year and didn't find carrying too cumbersome gripped just ahead of the magazine.
Posted By: hanco Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
I have one on 30-06
Posted By: Aqualung Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
I also have one in .30-06. My Maternal Grandfather gave it to me 35 years ago when I started hunting at 12. It was his deer rifle.

1920s vintage, a take-down model. I hunted with it about 2 years, then got a Savage 99 like my dad's.

Even the Browning models that came out in the 80's (I believe) are expensive.

Aqualung
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yep.

Shame, too. frown

That sucks donkey dick.
About 1 1/2 yards of fun...

28" barreled 30/40, made in 1904. No deer have shown when I've carried it, but it's hell on hedge apples.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mudhen Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
Kaywoodie with his pipe and one of his rifles:

[Linked Image]

Shooting steel:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by tmitch
I want to here the story of finding the .405 in an "old moose hunters cabin". Knowing what original 1895s in .405 are going for, it's hard to fathom someone leaving it out there.
I have a couple, a SRC in .30-40 and a .405. I hunted the .405 some this year and didn't find carrying too cumbersome gripped just ahead of the magazine.

It wasn't abandoned there(I wish it was). A guy that was staying in it had it there with him.
BTW those moose horns were 67"
Posted By: hanco Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
I have a 1873 made in 1884, love the old Winchesters. It's a 38 40.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
Beeing a Canuck, I Always thought one in .303 British would be interesting.
I know that a certain number were chambered in the tree-Oh-tree.

Anyone know if one could rechamber a .30-40 with any probability of success. Feeding , firing etc.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
The older 1895's I crossed paths with were outside my buget. So have a Miroku Winchester in 405 Winchester.
Originally Posted by mudhen
Kaywoodie with his pipe and one of his rifles:

[Linked Image]

Shooting steel:

[Linked Image]

Bob is DEFINATLEY our Camp Fire 1895 Expert! He's probably forgot more than most of us ever knew about 1895 Winchesters!
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yep.

Shame, too. frown

I was wondering why Bob hasn't posted here lately! Hate to hear that!
It was giving me fits, too, even using Firefox & Avast. Been okay today, however
supposedly the .405's with the crescent buttplate are plumb painful to shoot. The ones with shotgun butt not so bad. The last one I saw for sale in the flesh was $3k, and that was 20 years ago.

I narrowly missed buying a .35 Winchester. Obsolete but interesting cartridge
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
This is a picture that has my 1895 in 30/40 shown at the top. It was a salvage job. The butt had been cut off so the length of pull was about 12 1/2 inches including the dry rotted recoil pad and the stock was broken at the grip. It had some kind of glue on it and a couple of nails trying to hold it together. The barrel had been cut back further ruining the collector value. That was fine with me since what I wanted was a shooter anyway. After the dealer pulled a patch through the barrel and showed me a clean bore, it followed me home. A new stock and it was ready to go. Shoots good but I haven seen any deer while I was carrying it, so I don't have any game pictures to show yet.

These Winchester 95's can be had at good prices if you look and are willing to put in a little work. I have seen several that have had busted or cut off butt stocks at gun shows that were being overlooked and weren't priced like a collector rifle. The one I bought had been on the dealers shelf for several years because it was ugly, but if you looked past the ugly, the price wasn't bad at all. To me it made into the perfect Winchester 95 for the kind of hunting I like to do.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mathsr
This is a picture that has my 1895 in 30/40 shown at the top. It was a salvage job. The butt had been cut off so the length of pull was about 12 1/2 inches including the dry rotted recoil pad and the stock was broken at the grip. It had some kind of glue on it and a couple of nails trying to hold it together. The barrel had been cut back further ruining the collector value. That was fine with me since what I wanted was a shooter anyway. After the dealer pulled a patch through the barrel and showed me a clean bore, it followed me home. A new stock and it was ready to go. Shoots good but I haven seen any deer while I was carrying it, so I don't have any game pictures to show yet.

These Winchester 95's can be had at good prices if you look and are willing to put in a little work. I have seen several that have had busted or cut off butt stocks at gun shows that were being overlooked and weren't priced like a collector rifle. The one I bought had been on the dealers shelf for several years because it was ugly, but if you looked past the ugly, the price wasn't bad at all. To me it made into the perfect Winchester 95 for the kind of hunting I like to do.

[Linked Image]

Very Nice
I am jealous.
Originally Posted by helidriver72

It wasn't abandoned there(I wish it was). A guy that was staying in it had it there with him.
BTW those moose horns were 67"

Thank goodness, I woulda had nightmares thinking about that .405 sittin' out there all by itself! .405s are pretty pricey in original condition. My .405, while in nice shape, had been "customized" by the original owner which made it more in my price range....albeit still at the top

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So what would be a fair price to pay for a non collector version?
In .405? Good luck finding any original much below $2K. New made repros, maybe half that. .30-40s and .30-06s are usually less.

Refinished 1895 .405
I am a fan! Got two SRC carbines, 30 govt, and 30 Army. One take down rifle in 30 O3. 30 U.S.? Love them all.
Posted By: BMT Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
Saw one at Cabelas a few years back

Would have been several house payments.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/06/17
I have seen only one 1895 in 303 British over the years, condition was poor.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/07/17
Heres a picture of one of my 405's this deluxe model was made in 1905, letters with factory red pad.My other 405 has a crescent butt and it really does not kick bad !!! Don

[Linked Image]
Very nice. I had one in .30-06, but didn't like the loading method. Sold it.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/07/17
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
It was giving me fits, too, even using Firefox & Avast. Been okay today, however

That's been hitting me off and on for a while (iPad). Turning Javascript off seems to stop it and most other problems, but also keeps you from posting. Gotta assume it originates here, as it never occurs elsewhere.
Makes me feel bad, that I didn't buy the last one I saw.
30 Govt in decent shape - $1600. frown
Always liked them. Should bring one home one day.
Originally Posted by Loggah
Heres a picture of one of my 405's this deluxe model was made in 1905, letters with factory red pad.My other 405 has a crescent butt and it really does not kick bad !!! Don

[Linked Image]

Wow what a beauty!
Posted By: cbennett Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/07/17
I love mine now that I trimmed the hammer strut. My kids bought a repo 1895 case hardened, take down in 3006 for my 50th.The thing shot, fed and handled great but the primers were barely indented. I would get a misfire 20% of the time. I then went through my old Rifle magazines and found Dave Scovil's article on how to modify the hammer strut.The mods worked great, 100 rounds off so far and positive primer hits on all.The added bonus is the safety still works if you want but it cannot be accidentally engaged. I do have a Williams aperature sight and OA outdoors front blade. I am very pleased with accuracy and it will be used for WV and MD deer season next year.
Posted By: Sako Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/07/17
I am sure I will be bashed for this but here it goes anyway.... I had one of the Winchester current production 1895 in 30-06.... high grade with engraving, etc that I go at a steal for less than I could get a new standard grade for.... I personally love it.... I have been on the look out for an original in good condition that I could afford and have not found one yet.... However, I still love the new one... Built like a tank... And so much fun to shoot.... So it does have a new style safety but it has some wonderful wood and engraving on it....
Posted By: cbennett Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/07/17
Sako, I agree. The repos can be used without worry of ruining collector value. I seem to always buy someones problems when buying vintage, just seem to get every lemon around used. I then will not quit until it is right , my smith loves my checkbook.
The new repos seem to feed and function fine, once you fix the hammer stru twhich involved about 2 minutes with a file.I have a couple of the 1892 repos as well an shoot them weekly as well.
I have a few vintage oringinal Winchester but am shy taking them out, the repos not so much.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/07/17

[Linked Image]

So what would be a fair price to pay for a non collector version?

The 1895 I have has less than $1K in it including the new stock, but that was a few years ago. 30/40's are probably the easiest to find and don't bring near the price of a larger bore like a 35 Win or 405 win. 303 British doesn't seem to command much of a premium either in the examples I've seen. You have to decide what you are willing to give up in order to get a lower price on a shooter. I don't mind mine looking its age as long as the abuse isn't too obvious. I don't care that the butt stock has been replaced or that the barrel is 4 inches shorter than it should be. Or that the blue finish is gone and replaced by a patina. It just looks its age to me. I'm starting to look that way myself...

I haven't looked at the auction sites in the last few weeks, but recently I have seen several that I thought would be good shooter candidates in 30/40 or 303 Brit for less than $1500. To me that beats the heck out of paying $3000 to $4000 for one in great condition.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/07/17
My dads first hunting rifle was a used 1895 in 30-06. The first time he went elk hunting with it he saw a bull and fired, when he went to chamber a new round the action was frozen and it would not cycle it was so cold. Traded it to the farmer he was working for, for a bolt action something he could not remember when he told me the story. That was in the early fifties. About the late 70s I was shooting hanguns with that farmer at his house and he said he had something to show me. Went into the house and brought out my dads rifle. The farmer passed away in the 90s and around 2005 I got ahold of the son and ask him if he still had his dads 1895. I had to describe it to him and he said he would look. Couple days later he showed up at my house with the rifle and sold it to me for $200. It was close to christmas so I wrapped it up and gave it to my son on christmas morning with my dad sitting there next to my son.As my son was opening his present he saw it was in a new Winchester box and thought it was a new rifle. he opened the box and took out that old rifle, my dad perked up and said is that my old rifle? which I replied that it was. My son was shocked as much as my dad was. He started telling stories about deer hunting with it and coyotes and the elk hunting story that caused him to trade it. It is one of my sons treasured guns now along with my dads elk rifle. These are the priceless moments that make life worth while.
Posted By: arkypete Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/07/17
I'VE GOT A 405 and two 30-06s. One of which will become a 375 Whelen. All three are modern.

Jim
I was at a small gun show today, there were 3 1895s there! a 35 rifle and 2 30-40 carbines, one carbine was only 750 about 400 more than I had! Iv shot Loggahs 405 and fell hard for it! very cool rifle!
Originally Posted by BluMtn
My dads first hunting rifle was a used 1895 in 30-06. The first time he went elk hunting with it he saw a bull and fired, when he went to chamber a new round the action was frozen and it would not cycle it was so cold. Traded it to the farmer he was working for, for a bolt action something he could not remember when he told me the story. That was in the early fifties. About the late 70s I was shooting hanguns with that farmer at his house and he said he had something to show me. Went into the house and brought out my dads rifle. The farmer passed away in the 90s and around 2005 I got ahold of the son and ask him if he still had his dads 1895. I had to describe it to him and he said he would look. Couple days later he showed up at my house with the rifle and sold it to me for $200. It was close to christmas so I wrapped it up and gave it to my son on christmas morning with my dad sitting there next to my son.As my son was opening his present he saw it was in a new Winchester box and thought it was a new rifle. he opened the box and took out that old rifle, my dad perked up and said is that my old rifle? which I replied that it was. My son was shocked as much as my dad was. He started telling stories about deer hunting with it and coyotes and the elk hunting story that caused him to trade it. It is one of my sons treasured guns now along with my dads elk rifle. These are the priceless moments that make life worth while.

I've never heard a story this cool about someone's golf club🙄😀
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/07/17
Great story! Just doesn't get much better.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/09/17
I just came home tonight with a coworker's 1895. I WISH I could say that I bought it!

I'm only going to clean it up for him. It was his dad's, and his grandpa, and probably great grandpa's before that, but he's not sure when it joined his family.

I'll post up some photos soon, but for now here's a teaser specs:

1st model, .30-40 (.30 Army), serial number 5XX.............a 122yr old flat side. smile
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/09/17
So what would you pay for a NIB modern repro in 30-06. I know where one can get one in a rifle and military carbine configuration.
Ok! I'm gonna try to post!

Some nice 1895's on here! I do like mine! I will add, I generally will not consider a firearm for purchase unless it's at least 60 years old. The Miroku 95's are the exception. I own 3. Two tang safety Winchesters and one of the 1980's Brownings. Two are 30/06 rifles and one is a 2006 100th anniv. comm. SRC 30/06.

Took a nice 5x5 bull with my .35 WCF this October and a nice 6x6 bull with the Browning 30/06 last year.
Good to see you back, Bob!
Thanks Mark!! Hope y'all are ok!!!
The rifle in the OP reminds me of one of the guys on "The Last Alaskans" on TV. One of the guys that lives out there uses an 1895 for his moose hunting. Nice rifle. Don't remember them saying what caliber, I assume 405, but maybe 30-40, not sure. I've had a chance at a Browning new model but didn't jump. Should have I guess. Had some 1886's too that I liked but I tend to let rifles get away.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Thanks Mark!! Hope y'all are ok!!!

We are all doing well. How's Steph doing?
Good days, bad days.
Has any one ever made an 1895 big loop?
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
The rifle in the OP reminds me of one of the guys on "The Last Alaskans" on TV. One of the guys that lives out there uses an 1895 for his moose hunting. Nice rifle. Don't remember them saying what caliber, I assume 405, but maybe 30-40, not sure. I've had a chance at a Browning new model but didn't jump. Should have I guess. Had some 1886's too that I liked but I tend to let rifles get away.

His 95 was a .35 WCF.
Who was asking about .303's??? My old compadre picked this one up about a month or so back! It's a shooter!

[Linked Image]
This year's bull and my .35 WCF.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Has any one ever made an 1895 big loop?

I don't think I think would work too well with the 2 piece lever and all.
My favorite rig! .30 USArmy. Circa 1915

[Linked Image]
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/09/17
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Beeing a Canuck, I Always thought one in .303 British would be interesting.
I know that a certain number were chambered in the tree-Oh-tree.

Anyone know if one could rechamber a .30-40 with any probability of success. Feeding , firing etc.

The .303 has a slightly larger bore diameter. You would have to rebarrel.
Another in .30 US Army!

[Linked Image]

His 95 was a .35 WCF.

Thanks, you must have seen more of the shows that I have. I was curious.
Another .35 WCF. I think old son is about to take possession of this one! He killed a nice buck on his place with it this season!

[Linked Image]

His 95 was a .35 WCF.

Thanks, you must have seen more of the shows that I have. I was curious.

Your welcome. Naturally When I saw he was packing a 95 I listened close. When he was talking about it I remember him mentioning it was a 35!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/09/17
Welcome back Bob!
Welcome back Bob!

Thanks! Discovered my iPhone 5 is not Compatible for adblocker plus. Tonight I'm only getting random redirects. May be back to impossible tomorrow. Who knows! Did get the photo bucket Thing fixed. They admitted it was a glitch on their part!

Probably have to upgrade soon to a different phone.

Let's see more 95's!!!

[Linked Image]

I may be wrong, but that also looks like that Army Special 32-20.
What a nice combination you have, there.

Give Steph our best wishes.
My SRC .30 ARMY

[Linked Image]
A message To the OP! I understand the mystique of the .405. What an Iconic rifle and cartridge! But if it were me, I'd hunt up a decent .35 WCF. Easy to load and much easier on the shoulder. And generally easier on the pocket book!!! I suppose it could be said that the 35 is kinda the pappy of the .405. Same case head, but the .405 is longer. And naturally more big around! .35 is a bit older too! But not by much. Jamison's is making some excellent unprimed cases for this cartridge!!!

This is my nicer .35 of the two I own. Complete with Lyman #21 receiver sight. It's a real Daisy of a rifle!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/09/17
Ray Lewis from the Last Alaskans has a 1895 35 WCF converted from a 30-40 Krag. He had a local gunsmith convert it. Ray is a good guy and knows his stuff.

I have two 1895s. One is in 30-03 and the other is 30-40 Krag with a flaming bomb arsenal bomb on the barrel. It has been bubba'd but I will seek to go to brownells and get it fixed up right. These two belonged to one of the greatest Alaskans that I have ever known and I will never sell them to anyone. Al Taylor might have been the most interesting guy that I have ever met and he served as my Alaskan Grandpa. A warrant officer in the South China seas before ww2 who was born at the foxfarms near the airport in Chitina. He competed in the LA Olympics in Chinning. After the war, Al was a tug captain in the Bering Sea. He was a forest firefighter after coming back to the basin. He built most of the cabins in Kenny Lake from his handmade sawmill.

Al used those rifles to take many bears to have a swim. His grandson inherited them and traded them for almost nothing and I picked them up cheap. I won't be buried with them but they belonged to one of the most kickass guys in existence. I will never forget some rougher guy known for being a no good drunk in his 30s giving Al grief outside of the old Chitina Bar. The guy threatened to shoot him and brandished a club looking milsurp mauser. Al just looked him in the eye and knocked him cold, went inside to get a beer for him and a coke for me(I was 12 years old) and left him there next to his pickup truck. Al was 68 but still was 6'2" and working lumber at his sawmill every day. The guy woke up and crawled off. I sat and watched him to make sure he wouldn't try to shoot Al.

Al always had a fishtrap that he called his weir. Fish and Game never asked him to close it down. They never bothered him. When I go by his place down by Lower Tonsina I say a bit of a prayer making sure that AL is being a good Alaskan in Heaven.

I keep looking for a Model 71 in 450 Alaskan. It will happen. I just have to be patient.
Hey Bob, you "wished" me one of these awhile ago and it finally came through. Not an 1895 but a classy Winchester nonetheless.

[Linked Image]
My SRC .30 ARMY

[Linked Image]

I think the 95 SRC is just a sexy carbine! And I really have no issues toting a 95 in the woods. The SRC's just have a turn of the century allure to them!

Postscript!

Great catch on the 64 carbine!!! You just don't See those everyday!!
I did tote my .405 for a bit of deer hunting this fall. Didn't find it too cumbersome, as some seem to find it, carrying one handed just ahead of the magazine. Wasn't much in the mood for killin' this year to try it out on the small buck I saw, but the Lyman 21 gave me a good sight picture on him and was pretty confident I coulda ventilated him.
A message To the OP! I understand the mystique of the .405. What an Iconic rifle and cartridge! But if it were me, I'd hunt up a decent .35 WCF. Easy to load and much easier on the shoulder. And generally easier on the pocket book!!! I suppose it could be said that the 35 is kinda the pappy of the .405. Same case head, but the .405 is longer. And naturally more big around! .35 is a bit older too! But not by much. Jamison's is making some excellent unprimed cases for this cartridge!!!

This is my nicer .35 of the two I own. Complete with Lyman #21 receiver sight. It's a real Daisy of a rifle!!!

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the advice! If I ever get one I plan on elk hunting with it and your photo proves the 35's ability on elk! If you don't mind my asking what range were you able to kill that elk at?
I never got the chance to use old son's range finder on distance. But from judging where young son shot his out of same herd and they did range his, I'd say close 170-175 yards! Which surprised hell out of my blind azz! laugh
Posted By: hanco Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/10/17
I bet the 405 will hit your shoulder pretty good
Sorry for poor pic. But this is one of my tang safety Winchesters. Picked it up used. Some previous owner had refinished the wood. Sanded the checkering a bit. And stuck on the uncle Mikes swivels. This is one of the best pointing hunting rifles I own. It's a natural! Someday I hope to stick a Providence tool co. Lyman # 21 copy on it! This will probably become the everyday toting rifle when I hit the ranch.

[Linked Image]

I will add, the only real desire I have for just one more 95, it would would be a musket! Would love one in .30 US Army. But they can get pricey. A Russian contract model in good condition would probably be more realistic. And the Russians come with a stripper clip guide! How cool is that???
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Ray Lewis from the Last Alaskans has a 1895 35 WCF converted from a 30-40 Krag. He had a local gunsmith convert it. Ray is a good guy and knows his stuff.

I have two 1895s. One is in 30-03 and the other is 30-40 Krag with a flaming bomb arsenal bomb on the barrel. It has been bubba'd but I will seek to go to brownells and get it fixed up right. These two belonged to one of the greatest Alaskans that I have ever known and I will never sell them to anyone. Al Taylor might have been the most interesting guy that I have ever met and he served as my Alaskan Grandpa. A warrant officer in the South China seas before ww2 who was born at the foxfarms near the airport in Chitina. He competed in the LA Olympics in Chinning. After the war, Al was a tug captain in the Bering Sea. He was a forest firefighter after coming back to the basin. He built most of the cabins in Kenny Lake from his handmade sawmill.

Al used those rifles to take many bears to have a swim. His grandson inherited them and traded them for almost nothing and I picked them up cheap. I won't be buried with them but they belonged to one of the most kickass guys in existence. I will never forget some rougher guy known for being a no good drunk in his 30s giving Al grief outside of the old Chitina Bar. The guy threatened to shoot him and brandished a club looking milsurp mauser. Al just looked him in the eye and knocked him cold, went inside to get a beer for him and a coke for me(I was 12 years old) and left him there next to his pickup truck. Al was 68 but still was 6'2" and working lumber at his sawmill every day. The guy woke up and crawled off. I sat and watched him to make sure he wouldn't try to shoot Al.

Al always had a fishtrap that he called his weir. Fish and Game never asked him to close it down. They never bothered him. When I go by his place down by Lower Tonsina I say a bit of a prayer making sure that AL is being a good Alaskan in Heaven.

I keep looking for a Model 71 in 450 Alaskan. It will happen. I just have to be patient.

Dunno how i missed this! What a great story! And great rifles! Thanks!!!!
Originally Posted by mark shubert

[Linked Image]

Yes it is Mark. And your name is on it when I've finished these earthy climes! wink

Posted By: 222Rem Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/10/17
Quick question for you '95 guys;

Does the rear screw on the Lyman 21 unscrew w/o first removing the lever and collar that surrounds the screw?

I've removed the front pivot screw with ease, but the rear one came loose then doesn't want to back completely out. I quit until I learn more from you guys. Thanks.

I like those "fully dressed" 95 Wins and Krags. That upper handguard really dresses the mot.

[Linked Image]

Yes it is Mark. And your name is on it when I've finished these earthy climes! wink

Originally Posted by 222Rem
Quick question for you '95 guys;

Does the rear screw on the Lyman 21 unscrew w/o first removing the lever and collar that surrounds the screw?

I've removed the front pivot screw with ease, but the rear one came loose then doesn't want to back completely out. I quit until I learn more from you guys. Thanks.

No. The collar holds it in place. In order to remove it all you would have to remove the two little set screws on either side of the lever. This part is kinda hard to explain. The locking position of the lever can be adjusted to different positions loosening and tightening the screw while it is in different locations. Make sense? If your screw is too loose try repositioning the tightening lever then retightening the rear screw. Sorry this is confusing I know!
Thanks buddy, I know exactly what you're referencing, and was going to try that route if I didn't get an answer here.

This is the first '95 I've ever spent any time getting to know, and I'll admit it's VERY quickly getting under my skin. smile

Plus it being a first year production gun with the early style lever adds to the thrill a little.
Flatsides are unique and very interesting!!! If it's not necessary, I would not remove or
Disassemble the sight. I'd clean around and thru it.
All I need is a 71 and a 95.....or multiples of both.

I remember seeing articles about the 95 when I was a kid, always thought they were cool.
"always thought they were cool."

Because they are!!!

wink
Remember when Krieger advertised to turn 1895's into 405's? I'm pretty sure it was them.

I need to get another 95 with a shorter barrel.
Flatsides are unique and very interesting!!! If it's not necessary, I would not remove or
Disassemble the sight. I'd clean around and thru it.

OK, I'll try. It's got 100+ years of gunk underneath it. I've got the whole rifle soaking under a thin layer of Ballistol, and I'm trying to do as much cleaning as possible w/o serious disassembly.

The steel butt plate has the only serious corrosion, and it IS extensive, having been sealed inside a rubber slip-on for decades. On the positive side, it protected the wood quite well.
Posted By: 54Woody Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/10/17
Here is mine, belonged to Dad's great uncle, 1908 manufacture, caliber 40-72
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/10/17
My son got me a metal sign that is a reproduction of an old Winchester bullet board. I have long harbored the notion that at one time they created a new cartridge for each individual rifle they produced.
Box of ammo for it
[Linked Image]
One of my old hunting compadres, gone for several years now, built a 6.5x55 on an old 30/06 '95. I've often wondered where that rifle ended up.
That would be a great deer gun im thinking! Glad you got loged back on, enjoy your posts!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/10/17
Bob, Sure am happy to see you back with us, been missing you. Blue
Thanks Saddlering!!!!

54Woody!!!! Simply awesome!!!

Steelhead,

Dang 95 SRC is only 2" shorter than what became the standard rifle length of 24", even tho the original 30 Army's and .303's had 28" barrels. There isn't just a whole lot of difference in weight either! An old style standard rifle with an 18" barrel might just fill the bill!!
Posted By: hanco Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/10/17
This thread makes me want another one

[Linked Image]

I dunno about that - IIRC I've got at least a couple of years on you! smile
Thanks Kaywoodie, I consider that high praise coming from you. I hate to say that in the 50+ years since my late Father purchased the rifle and box of ammo from his cousin for $50, it has never been fired. Dad would ask every gun shop he entered ifs they had .40-72 ammo and of course they did not. The box of ammo is too rare to think of shooting a round. The rifle was re-blued at some point but is solid otherwise and has a climbing Lyman peep.
54 Woody!

Would not be difficult to set yourself up and reload 40/72! New Brass Ian out there!! And that rifle should be a cast bullet wonder if it's still got a decent bore!!! There another sometimes poster here. A bit of an old Warhorse that still loads and shoots his 40/72 flatside!!! wink
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/10/17
Great Thread! I had a friend showed me one of his dad's old deer rifles in the early 1980's. It was a '95 in 35 Winchester.
I believe it had a shotgun butt stock on it. pretty sure it did not have the crescent butt plate I would have remembered that.
trying to get my '91 vintage '86 ready to hunt, I'm getting close. This thread is lighting a fire under my ass to get going!
So what's the deal with this rifle? That rear sight looks kinda out of place??

https://www.gunsamerica.com/936622708/Winchester-US-Model-1895-30-US.htm
Posted By: Loggah Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/11/17
Looks like a musket with the top wood missing, the rear sight looks like a buffington. I got one of those 1895 flatsides in 40-72,you guys got me thinking about digging it out and running a few rounds thru it. smile
Originally Posted by Loggah
Looks like a musket with the top wood missing, the rear sight looks like a buffington. I got one of those 1895 flatsides in 40-72,you guys got me thinking about digging it out and running a few rounds thru it. smile

A pic of that flat side would be cool.😀
So what's the deal with this rifle? That rear sight looks kinda out of place??

https://www.gunsamerica.com/936622708/Winchester-US-Model-1895-30-US.htm

Yup! What Loggah said!
Posted By: Loggah Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/11/17
I'll get my wife to take a picture tomorrow, me and cameras dont get along very well ! crazy grin
I think I bent my extractor? Ant suggestions?

If you can't straighten it out,

http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_2349.htm

What makes you think you bent it?

Postscript,

If you've never worked on an 1895 or taken one apart, I do suggest you refer to a competent smith who is familiar with them. Not really difficult, just taxing for the beginner!
Posted By: CaliRN Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/12/17
Had one of these for a few years.... 30 ARMY if i recollect. Sold to a campfire member.
Shiny metal on stock appears to be soft lead, perhaps a bullet hammered into the stock. Never shot it. The Krag on the other hand gets frequent use.

[Linked Image]
Krags rock !!!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/12/17

Leave it alone for a few days?
Posted By: Loggah Re: Any 1895 Winchester fans? - 01/12/17
Heres a few pictures of my 1895's . These are of my 40-72 flatside and below it is a 38-72

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In these pictures top deluxe 1895 in 405,next down regular 405, and last is a carbine in 30 gov 06.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've been a lever action guy all my life, man and boy. From the time I started deer hunting at 14 years old till this year at 80. I've owned and used just about every kind and caliber lever gun made in all those years except a 1895. This year I acquired a 1895 in 30-06 made in 1912. It was marked 30 US and sold to me as a 30-40. It didn't take long to discover it was an 06.

[Linked Image]

I hunted with it this year in the late season and took a doe with it. It sports a Lyman 21 peep. I love this old 104 year old gun...I wish it could talk.
Thanks Loggah and Longhunter and everyone else for the great pics!
[Linked Image]
Is this add a typo or did they really chamber it in 6mm navy?

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire