Home
Posted By: DigitalDan Alvin York - 01/07/17
1941 release; Gary Cooper in recognition of an American hero...

If you have not seen this it shines light on days of old before the "Big One". Ways and means, chunk gun shoots and more.

I was aware of this one for years, but never had the opportunity to see it. Worth the time in my opinion....

Posted By: mack5511 Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
One of my favorite movies.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
easily one of my top 5 favorite movies

I've watched it many, many times
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
Neat to reflect that the bulk of that movie was shot indoors on those incredible "sound stages"

.....after work, jump into one's street clothes,...and hop into one's car,....Cooper probably had a studio valet to bring his wheels around. Dunno what he was driving in 1939,....he damn sure knew a good ride when he saw one

Posted By: lastofthebreed Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
One of the great classics. Might just go to Net Flix and watch it again. Snowing and cold, good way to pass the time. I highly recommend it.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
Great movie. If you can, visit his home in Pall Mall, Tennessee.
Posted By: philgood80 Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
One of my all time favorites. My grandfather was drill instructor to one of his grandsons (IIRC). Don't think he met Sgt York though.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
I like some of the English language "breakdowns" strewn about the movie.

One time Ol'Ma York is telling one of the gals to "not be a fear'd" for Alvin. Interesting to listen to.

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If you have not seen this it shines light on days of old before the "Big One". Ways and means, chunk gun shoots and more.

That lifefstyle went on way after the Big One. I can remember in the early 80's, my Gpa in Arkansas still used an outhouse and had a wood burning cook stove that he'd make breakfast on every day. I remember one time a piece of my breakfast bacon still had a few porcine hairs attached to it.

First fishing I ever did was for crappie in the Arkansas river using can poles that he'd cut and dried from a local "holler".

He passed in '86.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
My paternal grandfather may have rubbed elbows with him, not sure about that. He was from Dover,TN and went nuts one day over there. Blackjack Pershing pinned a DSC on his chest afterward.

Grand dad used to send my ol' man out to collect some squirrels for dinner. If he shot them somewhere other than the head a stern lecture was in order. God forbid he brought back fewer squirrels than he shot at.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
I like some of the English language "breakdowns" strewn about the movie.

One time Ol'Ma York is telling one of the gals to "not be a fear'd" for Alvin. Interesting to listen to.

My mother grew up in the rural mountains in the NE corner of TN, literally within walking distance of both VA and NC. I can remember visiting there as a kid during the 1960's and 70's and almost needing an interpreter. They had a very different form of the English language. My mom, and the sisters who married and moved away grew out of the dialect. Moms only brother and one sister never moved away and spoke in a similar fashion all their lives. They are intelligent, educated people. But they don't sound like it to strangers.

Being filmed in the 1940's the dialect is probably fairly accurate for the era. You'd have a hard time capturing that today because almost no one alive still speaks that way. And movie audiences would not understand that it accurately reflected the dialect of the time.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17

Another here who calls it one of his favorite movies for the real life character portrayed but also for some of my favorite character actors and also, and not minimally, for a time in America past that we'll never see again.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
Watched that when I was a kid....loved it (along with several of his other movies).
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
This movie had legs enough to have been a virtual staple for the "Weekday Matinee" venue, in the town I grew up in, NOLa. Think late 50s early 1960s,... Lowes and the Saenger theater, right across from one another on Canal St, and the RKO, Orpheum further up, and just off Canal towards the river.

Movies were affordable than, and both still had big signs over their marquees reading "Refrigerated Air".

IIRC, these matinees opened with The National Anthem,....and folks still STOOD for that.

.....a dollar went a LONG way.

GTC

Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Great movie. If you can, visit his home in Pall Mall, Tennessee.

Was down there last week talking to some of his kin folk. Beautiful area down there, it's only about a 45m min drive from me.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
My grandfather was in the 82nd "All American" Division in WWI. Not in same company as Alvin York, but said he remembered that York had a tendency to wander off and get lost grin
No disrespect to a true hero intended.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
I just searched for it on Netflix but it didn't come up??
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
It's a great movie! No telling how many times I've watched it over the years!
Posted By: saddlering Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
A Great movie! been awhile since I seen it!
Posted By: byc Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
https://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Sergeant-York/60010874
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
[b][color:#3333FF]Not Netflix[/color][/b], but you can blow it up full screen..
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: WillARights Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17

http://www.battledetective.com/images/York%20Spot/Legg_York_legacy_v14n1.pdf
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17

Doesn't come up on our menu.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
[Linked Image]

...thats an interesting gun vise hes got there...alittle resesch, it may be made by Bisley, if they are the original designers back then. Dont know.
Posted By: byc Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
Hmmm…I see this with a pic of the movie box.

Sergeant York
1941 NR Rated NR2hr 14m
rated 4.0 stars
In a career-defining performance that earned him his first Academy Award, Gary Cooper stars as Alvin York, a poor Appalachian pacifist drafted into World War I. Placed in an impossible position, York single-handedly captures an entire enemy platoon and becomes a national hero. This World War II-era Hollywood classic based on the real-life war hero received 11 Academy Award nominations, including one for director Howard Hawks.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
Start Your Free Month
Cast: Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, Joan Leslie, more…

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
We subscribe - would different movies be available in different regions?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
One of my favorite movies, with one of my favorite actors, along with a very good supporting actor. Of course I'm talking about Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan. I've been to Pall Mall Tn., and been through the old mill there, in the valley of the three forks of the Wolf. The story of Alvin York is a very good one, and one worth researching. Also, the story of the making of the movie, as York picked Cooper to portray him, and wouldn't allow a cigarette smoking woman to be in the movie. Dedicated Sargent York fans also know that he didn't use a Springfield and a Luger to do his fighting with. He used an Enfield and a 1911 Colt. Supposedly, there was no reliable blank 45 ACP ammo, so they couldn't use the Colt, and had to go with the Luger because they had 9mm blanks.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
Nice someone remembers this movie and Alvin... I used to show it when I taught school..

I believe Alvin would not let his story be glamorized, and he had a hand in picking Cooper to play him in the film...

I never read a great deal about Cooper, but have read much on Hemingway.. He and Cooper were pals and hunted quite a bit in Idaho... Cooper needed glasses but his contract prevented him from wearing them in public..
Posted By: Jericho Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
Looks like a Japanese Arisaka rifle leaning on his bench.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
Excellent movie, watch it once or twice a year.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17

Interesting. Thanks for posting that.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
Haven't watched it in a few years, but always enjoy it when I do.

Youre Welcome. wink

Posted By: tommyv Re: Alvin York - 01/07/17
I show it every year to my third grade classes!! They love it. I like the way America treated heroes back then(like royalty), that's the way it should be now
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Alvin York - 01/08/17
I've read a article once in a gun rag , can't remember which one may have been The American Rifleman, where his grandson insisted that even though Alvin was issued a '17 Enfield that he disliked the balance and the peep sight and "acquired" a
'03 Springfield while in Europe.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Alvin York - 01/08/17
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I've read a article once in a gun rag , can't remember which one may have been The American Rifleman, where his grandson insisted that even though Alvin was issued a '17 Enfield that he disliked the balance and the peep sight and "acquired" a
'03 Springfield while in Europe.

Seems like I may have read that too, but everything else I've read all said that he used the Enfield. I can understand why he would have preferred the Springfield though, as I've always thought they handled much better than the Enfield.
Posted By: Sako Re: Alvin York - 01/08/17
I LOVE that movie.... I live about an hour from there and hunt about 15 minutes from Pall Mall..... Well worth a visit if you are in the area
Posted By: shaman Re: Alvin York - 01/09/17
My wife is related to York, and she remembers York coming to the house on many occasions. Her Dad fought in The Bulge under Patton. The two cousins used to talk at the kitchen table. She remembers him as a nice old man.

Years ago, I was caving at a place close by Alvin York's grave. I remember passing the grave site on the way to the cave. This was back in the early 80's. The National Speleological Society was surveying a cave called Devil's Dungeon. What struck me was that little had changed since the movie. We parked in a creek bottom next to a cabin. The father was out with a mule, plowing the vegetable patch.

Posted By: BullShooter Re: Alvin York - 01/09/17
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I've read a article once in a gun rag , can't remember which one may have been The American Rifleman, where his grandson insisted that even though Alvin was issued a '17 Enfield that he disliked the balance and the peep sight and "acquired" a '03 Springfield while in Europe.

1911a1-
I think you are remembering an article by Garry James that appeared in American Rifleman in June 2005. The article was posted in June 2016 on the website of the American Rifleman magazine.
Here's a link: [color:#0000FF][b]Sgt. York: American Rifleman, American Hero[/b][/color]
--Bob
Posted By: joken2 Re: Alvin York - 01/09/17

I watched a documentary on Alvin York several years back that included some segments with him being interviewed in his last years. Very humble, 'salt of the earth' man. He still fretted over the lives he was forced to take during the war.

Posted By: Chrome Re: Alvin York - 01/09/17
It's odd this post appeared. I've got the movie on DVD, watched it last night with my wife and son. Old classic for sure.

Took it to work at the fire station a couple of weeks ago to show the guys. A bunch of 20 to 30 year old firefighters, didn't think they would watch an old movie being in black & white. Most have never even heard of him. They were highly impressed.

Its rare that the younger crowd has a chance to see a movie that's not filled with sex, drugs and corruption and actually enjoy it.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Alvin York - 01/10/17
Originally Posted by shaman
My wife is related to York, and she remembers York coming to the house on many occasions. Her Dad fought in The Bulge under Patton. The two cousins used to talk at the kitchen table. She remembers him as a nice old man.

Years ago, I was caving at a place close by Alvin York's grave. I remember passing the grave site on the way to the cave. This was back in the early 80's. The National Speleological Society was surveying a cave called Devil's Dungeon. What struck me was that little had changed since the movie. We parked in a creek bottom next to a cabin. The father was out with a mule, plowing the vegetable patch.

As a coincidence, I first saw this movie as a young boy many years ago.

My grandmother had always told us a story about a famous relative we had that was awarded medals for something he did during the war. One night, my parents told us we were allowed to stay up past bedtime to watch this movie about our famous relative, Sgt. York.

As I understand it, my maternal grandmother was a cousin of Alvin's mother. My grandmother's maiden name was "Bell" .

Have never met any from that side of the family.....
Posted By: hanco Re: Alvin York - 01/10/17
Good movie
Posted By: kingfisher Re: Alvin York - 01/10/17
One of my favorite movies. My dad is from Bluff city TN. Even though I grew up a Yankee I still relate to his heritage.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Alvin York - 01/10/17
watched it at least a dozen times
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: Alvin York - 01/10/17
This was a required movie when I was in Jr. High. Everyone in my school had to watch it in American History class. We also had prayer, bible reading, and the pledge of allegiance in home room at the beginning of school. A bible was passed around. One person each day would read their favorite scripture or they could pass when it was their turn. But the Lord's prayer was said and the pledge was done each morning. Lots more respect back then not only for each other, but for teachers, police, military, etc.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Alvin York - 01/10/17
Mom always spoke with reverence about Sgt. York. She was from the little community of Willow Grove which is under Dale Hollow Lake now, about 30 miles from Pall Mall. I wonder if it was just pride in a local boy who became a national hero or if Grandpa shared a little 'shine with Alvin before he "got religion". One of those things I'll never know.
© 24hourcampfire