Home
Research has found that multitasking effectively lowers your IQ - like smoking pot! laugh
It's a good article and entertaining as well with this gem:
Multitasking Lowers IQ

Research also shows that, in addition to slowing you down, multitasking lowers your IQ. A study at the University of London found that participants who multitasked during cognitive tasks experienced IQ score declines that were similar to what they'd expect if they had smoked marijuana or stayed up all night. IQ drops of 15 points for multitasking men lowered their scores to the average range of an 8-year-old child.

Read the whole thing, "Why Smart People Don't Multitask" at http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/12/why-smart-people-dont-multitask.html
They don't have a clue of what multi-tasking is.
I'm never not multitasking. Maybe if I stop, I'll be as smart as Steelhead.

Multitasking doesn't exist according to research. What people don't do is several COGNITIVE things at once. What they do do is rapidly switch from task to task and back. Some can do this better/faster than others. I'm terrible at it. And NO ONE can do it as competently as if they concentrate and complete one task at a time, before going to the next.

This is likely where the "IQ drop" shows up.

And where does this leave folks that "multitask" when driving?
Originally Posted by las
Multitasking doesn't exist according to research. What people don't do is several cognitive things at once. What they do do is rapidly switch from task to task and back. Some can do this better/faster than others. I'm terrible at it. And NO ONE can do it as competently as if they concentrate and complete one task at a time, before going to the next.

This is likely where the "IQ drop" shows up.

And where does this leave folks that "multitask" when driving?

In a wreck.
Yes. We can switch from one to another, but lack the skills to process more than one item at a time.
well you plug in liberals and the way they do things...
with the statement that dope or multi tasking gives them the IQ of an 8 year old....

well why they do the things they do, suddenly fits...

they just never developed beyond 8 years old...

certainly fits any liberal I can think of...
Can't do it anymore. Don't know if I am pickier about what I do, or too slow. Anyways, I take my time with one thing at a time. Used to steam ahead like crazy, with a lot at once. Getting old, I guess.
I'm not even a good uni-tasker. 😀
Originally Posted by kingston

You'll still be living in Merryland, which makes you a dumbphuk.
Multi tasking is the art of doing many things at one time......poorly.
In general, women "multitask" (switch back and forth between tasks)better than men.
It comes in handy sometimes.
Originally Posted by night_owl
In general, women "multitask" (switch back and forth between tasks)better than men.

I don't know if they do it better but they sure do it more.
My wife frequently mentions that she's multitasking.
Me.......I'm retired.
smile

Somehow when my wife gets in a multitasking mood it often results in me unitasking a bunch of stuff that needs finishing.

In my world, that is called not being able to stay on task.
mine too, but sometimes the phone rings.
Again, there is a difference with addressing and dealing with distractions and completing a task, and being constantly distracted and not staying on task.

A woman don't need to have a phone ring to be distracted. All you have to do is say it's time to leave and her bladder will urgently need draining, a jacket on a chair will need to be hung up, etc., etc., and you leave 1/2 hour late.

When it's time to go, a man drops chit and moves out.
I don't claim to be a multi-tasker.

I am better than many at handling disparate elements of a task with an end towards successful completion.

There aint too many layout guys that don't have the ability to make different facets come together.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by kingston

You'll still be living in Merryland, which makes you a dumbphuk.

That was half-hearted. You feeling ok?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Multi tasking is the art of doing many things at one time......poorly.

^ ^ ^ this pretty much says it ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Multi-tasking is really called "context switching" by people who study productivity. As mentioned above, you can't DO more than one thing at a time. Some are better at switching rapidly between tasks than others. There is a hit in total productivity because there is "overhead" associated with ending one task and beginning another. This has been studied to death in the software development business and 2 things are found to be true: 1-code is done faster and is of better quality when it is worked on for long uninterrupted stretches of time 2-nobody in the software business ever works on code for long uninterrupted stretches of time
© 24hourcampfire