Home
I had an exciting morning,so I take my 8 year old Rottweiler to the vet to have them look at a toe/claw that he injured. I told them that his feet are very sensitive, he never likes me messing with them and although he's never bit me doing so that he's expressed his dislike in me touching them in his own way. Well add to that foot phobia that he has an injury and I clearly told them it would be in their best interest to muzzle him. Well we aren't in the examining room 3 friggin minutes and a young tech kneels down and reaches for his bad paw. He grabbed her arm so quick there was nothing I could do. I was floored, the little girl was wailing in pain ( he got her really good) they dragged her out of the room real quick and I'm left standing there like WTF were you thinking. They immediately started panicking about Rabies and I'm like you guys take care of him , he got his shots last July. What a Phhucked way to start the day!
Sorry to hear this but you did warn them and they didn't heed your warning..
Now, I'll bet they'll listen to you next time..
Haven't had a dog nail anyone in the vet's office yet, but we had a big Manx cat that absolutely shredded a vet's assistance. The cat latched on with his teeth, and commenced to working on the guy's arm with his back claws. The assistance finally managed to sling the cat off, but not before the exam room took on the appearance of a scene from a slasher film.
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Haven't had a dog nail anyone in the vet's office yet, but we had a big Manx cat that absolutely shredded a vet's assistance. The cat latched on with his teeth, and commenced to working on the guy's arm with his back claws. The assistance finally managed to sling the cat off, but not before the exam room took on the appearance of a scene from a slasher film.

Having seen a cat do a similar routine, I am laughing my azz off. laugh

Filthy little fuggers are always good for an infection or two afterwards.
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I had an exciting morning,so I take my 8 year old Rottweiler to the vet to have them look at a toe/claw that he injured. I told them that his feet are very sensitive, he never likes me messing with them and although he's never bit me doing so that he's expressed his dislike in me touching them in his own way. Well add to that foot phobia that he has an injury and I clearly told them it would be in their best interest to muzzle him. Well we aren't in the examining room 3 friggin minutes and a young tech kneels down and reaches for his bad paw. He grabbed her arm so quick there was nothing I could do. I was floored, the little girl was wailing in pain ( he got her really good) they dragged her out of the room real quick and I'm left standing there like WTF were you thinking. They immediately started panicking about Rabies and I'm like you guys take care of him , he got his shots last July. What a Phhucked way to start the day!

I'd show up with the dog muzzled next time.

Had this happen to a friend of mine - slammed his arm on the table, breaking the cats neck.. he hated his MIL's cat anyway..
Our chessie was the sweetest dog we've ever had. Turns out he was not a fan of rectal thermometers. I don't recall if he did any real damage, but yes he did nip a vet when the thermometer got shoved up his ass. Also on subsequent visits he made it clear that he wasn't about to have the procedure repeated. After that they wouldn't allow him in their kennels as they said he was an aggressive dog.

Animal "experts" can be fooking stupid.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I had to take the cat we have now to the vet last week. He got into a tussle with a neighbor's cat, and managed to get bitten in the face. Our cat ended up with an abscess half again as big a as a golf ball. The vet actually treated him with an antibiotic developed especially for cat bites.
When I was a kid, we had a collie/german shepard cross that would take almost anybody but family.
He got the vet - and on subsequent visits, Doc Hawk would hand my dad the muzzle and tell him "You put it on him, then I'll look at him".
I worked with a girl who ended up in the hospital after a cat bite to her hand. Her bone, or marrow, maybe both? got infected.

Cat bites can be bad, some nasty, mean bugs in a cat's mouth.

Early, aggressive treatment is very important, even critical in some cases, as MadMooner pointed out.

DF
No one has said it yet but you should notify your insurance company. Don't concern yourself with whose fault it is just give the circumstances to your insurers and let them deal with it if necessary.
I wouldn't be saying schit to my insurance company.

That's her employer and her employer's problem. People in that profession get bit. Period.

Dave
Took my old heeler in one time to have her paw sown up, cow had stepped on it and tore the skin off her toe.

Anyway the vet muzzled her first. My daughter was pretty young at the time and asked the vet what it was for. The vet explained and my daughter still confused looked up at the vet and said "she doesn't bite."

That dog would have died to protect my daughter and would never have hurt her so in her young mind the dog wouldn't bite.

I thought the vet was being smart.
Never had a dog nail the vet, had one old cat years ago that was a mellow, lovable guy at home, and a complete wildcat at the vet. Don't think he ever nailed anyone, but when he got sick it was tough to treat him.

It is considered a potential rabies exposure when any mammal bites a person. I work at a local health department and these bites are required to be reported to us and then we have to investigate. I am not sure how Texas does it, but in Virginia we have to make a visit to your house to see that you can confine the dog for 10 days and then come back on the 10th day to make sure your dog is still in good health. We also verify the rabies vaccination status of the dog. We do this because vaccines are not 100% effective and rabies is nearly 100% fatal.
My little Bull Mastiff barked in the Vets ears when she trimmed his nail a little close to the quick. Skeered the chitt out of her. I think he is non grata there anymore
Originally Posted by barm

It is considered a potential rabies exposure when any mammal bites a person. I work at a local health department and these bites are required to be reported to us and then we have to investigate. I am not sure how Texas does it, but in Virginia we have to make a visit to your house to see that you can confine the dog for 10 days and then come back on the 10th day to make sure your dog is still in good health. We also verify the rabies vaccination status of the dog. We do this because vaccines are not 100% effective and rabies is nearly 100% fatal.

That's exactly what they did. They had the tech evaluated at the hospital, nothing broken, just puncture marks. City was notified, he's on home quarantine for 10 days and then I have to take him back to be visually evaluated on the 10th day. Crappy situation all the way around. Plan is dope him up and then bring him after the 10 days for treatment and he gets a bad dog sticker on his file.
They should have listened to you and put a muzzle on him, they're 100% at fault.

had a three legged Pharaoh Hound that nailed a LA county Deputy Sheriff one time. he came to take a assault report from my daughter. swung at the dog as it went by him with his note pad and she nailed him. funny thing is he went to my wifes pharmacy for his drugs after. he was from a different station and one of his co workers called me to take a report.
after the usual details i asked if the victim had told them the dog only had three leg's?
he had his end on speaker i guess because i heard the squad erupt in laughter. never heard any more after the required monitoring period.
Originally Posted by barm

That's exactly what they did. They had the tech evaluated at the hospital, nothing broken, just puncture marks. City was notified, he's on home quarantine for 10 days and then I have to take him back to be visually evaluated on the 10th day. Crappy situation all the way around. Plan is dope him up and then bring him after the 10 days for treatment and he gets a bad dog sticker on his file.

We get a bunch of bites from vet's offices every week. I am sorry you are having to deal with this.
holy pluck, vets and techs get nipped all the time. They are drs, they can check each other out, x ray etc... OMG is this world gone to hell and a handbag..

We told em on our lab a few times at the end, as he got grouchy lets muzzle him. The one time they didn't a tech got nipped... told ya...

It goes with the territory.

If they would have cried rabies or ER I'd be finding a new clinic.
Never a bite incident. After the Dachshund had his anal glands painfully stripped by Dr.Bowser (real name) I was out in reception holding the dog while waiting to pay the bill. Doc walked around the corner into view and received a severe growl. Broke the whole place up including Tim.
My old dogs and cat were sweethearts at the vet office. The darn cat didn't even care about injections, temp measurements, even minor surgery to deal with the typical cat fight abscess.
Our dog just gets a really concerned look when they take his temperature.

Never nipped when he tore his nails, but they did have to put him out as he wouldn't hold still for it.
Bottom line is when the owner suggests a muzzle, you hand them the muzzle and tell them to put it on.

My uncle was a vet for 50-some years. When I was a teenager in the 70's I used to help him around the office when he was short staffed and on farm calls when he needed "someone with a strong back and weak mind" when the answering service called with an emergency in the middle of various family holiday celebrations. EDIT: It was the perfect excuse to get out of drying dishes.

Cats, dogs and sundry rodents, amphibians and birds considered his hands, arms and face a legitimate target, especially when pain was part of the equation. By the time he retired in the early 90's, both of his knees had been kicked out by horses. Half his toes were broke from cows stomping on them. His rotator cuff got torn from a cow going down while he was shoulder deep pulling a calf. A racehorse almost bit a couple of his fingers off while he was floating his teeth. A billy goat broke his ribs and punctured a lung once. He actually got anthrax in the 50's.

Every profession has "inherent risks" but not all veterinarians are cut from the same cloth.
A friend of mine is a dog groomer and she has been bit a few times, but nothing serious.
Originally Posted by 54Woody
No one has said it yet but you should notify your insurance company. Don't concern yourself with whose fault it is just give the circumstances to your insurers and let them deal with it if necessary.

Good way to lose your insurance dog bite claims can cause insurer to cancel your policy. And others do not like to insure you on homeowners till problem pet is gone.
I worked at a veterinarian's when I was about 13.

We were a place that kept dogs for the ten day rabies observation period. A special kennel area and we were supposed to be very careful in there - of course.

We'd use these rope loop things to handle dogs, not the ones with a handle, just rope. If it was a dog we sere supposed to keep away from ourselves we were supposed to keep swinging them so the centrifugal force kept them away.

Well I got one of the observation dogs on the end of the rope one day and I could not keep that mean SOB away from me and I got nailed. They weren't particularly sympathetic since it was my failure. He was 9 days into his observation period and now we had to keep him another 10 days. But he died that night! Then they were really pissed I had gotten bitten because they had to autopsy the brain to check for rabies. thank God, it wasn't rabies and I didn't need the shots.
Had a dog bite the Vet. Vet said it wasn't the first time and said probably won't be the last.
No but I did.
Originally Posted by deflave
I wouldn't be saying schit to my insurance company.

That's her employer and her employer's problem. People in that profession get bit. Period.

Dave

Absolutely this! Getting bit, scratched, kicked, clawed, stomped, gored, rammed, head-butted, etc., etc., is part of the veterinary profession. They know (or should know) the risks and carry their own insurance.
She's lucky it wasn't her face.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Especially after the warning.

You admittedly knew your dog was a bite risk. Why in the [bleep] didn't YOU muzzle your dog before taking him in?! smh !!
Originally Posted by kk alaska

Good way to lose your insurance dog bite claims can cause insurer to cancel your policy. And others do not like to insure you on homeowners till problem pet is gone.

Especially with it being a Rott...

Dave
cats er fer coyotes. smile
Originally Posted by mathman
My old dogs and cat were sweethearts at the vet office. The darn cat didn't even care about injections, temp measurements, even minor surgery to deal with the typical cat fight abscess.

Same here. When we bring our 14 year old Cocker in for a trim she walks onto the scale.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Deep infection. Ever cat needs a coyote.
I have to say a lot of vets today and people that love animals in general are really fugking stupid.

My lab only wants to wag his tail, eat, and find birds. Nothing else. But he's 110lbs. and has an IQ that would make Blackheart look like a fugking astronaut. So when I take him to the vet I always ask "Do you want to muzzle him?" The answer is invariably "Why?" Gee... I don't know. Maybe because you have a 110lb's of retard staring at you and you want to fist-fguk its ass? I mean, JFC. It's a DOG.

Last time I was at the vet, I'm standing in the lobby/waiting area and some fat fugking dilldo abuser comes walking up and just starts scratching and rubbing the fugk out of my dog's head. I say "You're not making my life any easier by doing that."

By the look on her fat face you'd have thought I'd punched her in the sternum. I tell her "You really shouldn't approach strange dogs like that. Especially big ones."

She walked out. Everybody looks at me like I'm the ass hole.

Keep your fugking dickbeaters off the fugking dog until you have a read on everything.

As far as I'm concerned, AC's dog dig that girl a favor. Better to learn now on your arm than later on your pretty little face.

Nothing further.

Clark
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Cat bites can be bad, some nasty, mean bugs in a cat's mouth.

Early, aggressive treatment is very important, even critical in some cases, as MadMooner pointed out.

DF

This^^^. Treat with early and aggressively with a .22 before anyone gets bit.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Never had a dog nail the vet, had one old cat years ago that was a mellow, lovable guy at home, and a complete wildcat at the vet. Don't think he ever nailed anyone, but when he got sick it was tough to treat him.

There are treatments for cats. Just saying.
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48

You admittedly knew your dog was a bite risk. Why in the [bleep] didn't YOU muzzle your dog before taking him in?! smh !!

Name me a dog that isn't a bite risk when a human unknown to the dog attempts to put hands on something that is hurting them without taking proper precautions. I'm no [bleep] Cesar the dog whisperer but if I'm about to mess with a sore on a dog that can actually hurt me whether it knows me or not I'd be making sure the head is controlled firmly away from me and or the muzzle covered. This was a mistake from a unexperienced vet tech simply put. And some of the comments above are so true, thank god it wasn't her face cuz it could have been, she was eye level with him. Crazy part is they love him there and they were all loving on him in the lobby before going into the examining room. Lesson learned for me is to not take for granted that the veterinary office that handles dogs every day knows what they're doing handling my dog.
Originally Posted by kk alaska

Especially with it being a Rott...

Dave

Rotts are rotten. Good to their pets (owners), bad for those who arent.
Lesson learned for me is to not take for granted that the veterinary office that handles dogs every day knows what they're doing handling my dog.

That's like assuming a gunsmith knows guns or a mechanic knows cars.

Most don't.

Clark

PS - You did nothing wrong so sleep easy.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
They should have listened to you and put a muzzle on him, they're 100% at fault.

Yep. Got to agree here. It's not like you didn't warn him.
Originally Posted by GunReader
I worked at a veterinarian's when I was about 13.

We were a place that kept dogs for the ten day rabies observation period. A special kennel area and we were supposed to be very careful in there - of course.

We'd use these rope loop things to handle dogs, not the ones with a handle, just rope. If it was a dog we sere supposed to keep away from ourselves we were supposed to keep swinging them so the centrifugal force kept them away.

Well I got one of the observation dogs on the end of the rope one day and I could not keep that mean SOB away from me and I got nailed. They weren't particularly sympathetic since it was my failure. He was 9 days into his observation period and now we had to keep him another 10 days. But he died that night! Then they were really pissed I had gotten bitten because they had to autopsy the brain to check for rabies. thank God, it wasn't rabies and I didn't need the shots.
Shots in the 90s were not bad. But that wasn't the 21 in the stomach anymore. Gamagobulin in my thumb hurt like hell though..
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48

Dog is not a risk except in pain... any dog can be... you keep a muzzle for yours around just in case? We don't....
Why would any one take a cat to the vet?
We had a beagle/blue tick cross that lived for one thing and one thing only. If it didn't have something to do with hunting, that dog couldn't care less. Doc Stryffler was an old small town vet who frequently hunt pheasants and rabbits with my dad and Belle. Belle was comfortable with Doc working on her, but wouldn't tolerate anyone else. Put a tech in the room with her and she'd get defensive, the hackles went up on her back, and the teeth were bared.

She knew Doc and trusted him but no one else. When she'd get all banged up while out hunting, we'd have to track down Doc if he was off, because no one else could work on her.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Why would any one take a cat to the vet?

This^^^^^. Its not like you cant buy a mouse trap. Small animal vets are for people - lovers. cool
Originally Posted by hanco
No but I did.

Vet bill that high?

I've had a couple of vet bills that were so high I swore I was going to learn how to dope a horse up and put stitches in so I'd never call one again...
I have to say a lot of vets today and people that love animals in general are really fugking stupid.

My lab only wants to wag his tail, eat, and find birds. Nothing else. But he's 110lbs. and has an IQ that would make Blackheart look like a fugking astronaut. So when I take him to the vet I always ask "Do you want to muzzle him?" The answer is invariably "Why?" Gee... I don't know. Maybe because you have a 110lb's of retard staring at you and you want to fist-fguk its ass? I mean, JFC. It's a DOG.

Last time I was at the vet, I'm standing in the lobby/waiting area and some fat fugking dilldo abuser comes walking up and just starts scratching and rubbing the fugk out of my dog's head. I say "You're not making my life any easier by doing that."

By the look on her fat face you'd have thought I'd punched her in the sternum. I tell her "You really shouldn't approach strange dogs like that. Especially big ones."

She walked out. Everybody looks at me like I'm the ass hole.

Keep your fugking dickbeaters off the fugking dog until you have a read on everything.

As far as I'm concerned, AC's dog dig that girl a favor. Better to learn now on your arm than later on your pretty little face.

Nothing further.

Clark

I love dogs and get along with them better than people. I have never had one get aggressive with me. Well, there was this one time I was riding my bicycle and a foaming at the mouth, snarling bigass mix breed came tearing after me. I don't normally worry when dogs chase me on the bike, but I am pretty sure this thing would have eaten me if it had caught me. Dogs generally have a good sense about them, even big retards. With that said, I will always ask the owner if I can say hello before I approach. It just seems like the right thing to do.
I have no interest in fawning over anyone elses dog. The dog wonders, WTF? It's not like some women who say, "I shoulda met this guy before i married Bozo".
Dave [/quote]

Rotts are rotten. Good to their pets (owners), bad for those who arent. [/quote]

Rotts have been the best dogs I've ever had. Happy to greet and play with most anyone. But if my dog doesn't like you, I trust him, and don't like you either.

And I agree with Flave, don't just walk up and start petting him without asking me first.
Had a male Rott for 8 years that I could do absolutely anything with, at any time... EXCEPT trim his nails... Never a bite outta him. But the only two times his nails got trimmed was when he got knocked out for surgeries. Fortunately he was an outdoor dog, so, he kept them relatively worn down.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Had a male Rott for 8 years that I could do absolutely anything with, at any time... EXCEPT trim his nails... Never a bite outta him. But the only two times his nails got trimmed was when he got knocked out for surgeries. Fortunately he was an outdoor dog, so, he kept them relatively worn down.

That's crazy, It must be a rott thing. My last Rott would not let me touch his nails and my current one won't either. They just hate having their feet played with.
Our jrt refused to allow anyone to touch his feet. Trimming his toenails was done by Momma while I sat on the little schitt.

Never had one bite anybody. But did have a young german shepard bitch do worse one time. We had just purchased the dog and took her in for an initial vet check.

The vet proceeded to express the anal glands, and whatever that stinky, slimey mess was, it squirted right into the vet's open mouth as he spoke to my wife.

I still shudder at the very thought.
My daughter is a Vet-Tech. And, yes, they do get bit from time to time.
[Linked Image]

When he got older this one would take your leg off if you approached me, the wife or one of the kids too fast, and you were taller than 2 1/2 feet.

A trip to the vet required a muzzel and he sounded like Cujo the whole time.

On one trip this little 5' nuthin Vet Tech says i can fix this, give me his leash.

OK!?!?! You know what he's like????

She takes him back, they do what they need to do, he and she come out, he's on his leash and doing the Boxer twist, all giggly, happy, blowing snot everywhere, they were the best of buds, Just not with mom and dad close by!
If I allowed a dog of mine to bite a vet employee, I'd shoot it, then feel guilty for not shooting myself.
Can't be as bad as mule kicking the vet. That is leg or hip breaking time.

I'd take a dog bite any day vs two mule feet in my chest.I took only one in the belt buckle that put me on the ground for an hour
Had a 10 lb Norwich Terrier that was fine with the vet until he had to go into an ear for cheatgrass. After that she was out to get him. Even if he showed up in other venues, she would hear his voice and come out on the fight.
Yes Old Tucker bit the vet but Tucker would not leave teeth marks in a stick of hot butter. He had a home with us for about a year and he had been passed around from home to home like a redheaded step child so he had social issues with anyone he did not know and he would taste all comers.

A beagle/doxen ankle biter and the only biting dog I've ever been around that I let live but like I said he just tasted and never bit but he thought he was tearing that ass up. Really funny. The UPS guy had him figured and would just stand there and carry on a conversation with you while old Tucker was gnawing on him. The Fed-ex guy gave him dog biscuits so they were great pals.

The poor guy was a city dog all his life until he came here. Overweight so bad he could not walk to the mailbox and back without resting he soon got the hang of country life and followed his nose til he was slim and trim. Rats and gophers were his main game and I laughed myself silly one morning watching him try to sneak up on deer out back at the feeder. The deer ended up chasing him around.

The best year of his life was here with us but we could not keep him from chasing the occasional car or truck that comes down our dead end dirt road and he finally caught one...

RIP Tuck
Originally Posted by ltppowell
If I allowed a dog of mine to bite a vet employee, I'd shoot it, then feel guilty for not shooting myself.

I'm all on board with my dog always being my responsibility, but ain't about to shoot myself over a bit vet.

As has been pointed out. It's your dog. You know him best. Next time show up with him muzzled.
Had a hound that was chewed up pretty bad from a bear, the dog was out, bloody, and looked dead when I got to the vet and I carried him in and they put him on the table,, the vet started examining his throat and the dog came to life and I had to pull him off of the vets arm. Vet ended up with a lot of bruising and some small punctures/tears.

I felt bad about it but I really thought the dog was about dead as did the vet,, neither one of them harbored any bad feelings and they were buddies afterwards just as before.

Also had a cat in a crate that sounded like a pissed off puma,, told the vet she needed gloves and a towel to get that cat out but she tried the sweet talk approach and was severely nailed. I had told her that I had resorted to a fishnet to get the darn thing in there! The cat was cool with hanging around the place outside and getting her belly scratched but did not want picked up. It lived another 6-7 years catching rats and running all other cats off but it always was a rodeo at vet time. The same cat slept in the dog houses with the dogs and was very friendly with all the other critters on the farm, just did not want picked up or confined
My wife is a vet tech. It is very tempting to just go down and hang out with my 22/45 and shoot a lot of the stupid phugking animals people bring in. Absolutely no manners, to the point of being dangerous. "Fido is an angel he'd NEVER hurt anybody. Heck he's never even growled before"

A lot of stupid damned owners and a lot of stupid damned dogs.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

+1
I keep hoping my GSP will bite his vet so I can kiss it and make it better. She is smoking hot.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
I keep hoping my GSP will bite his vet so I can kiss it and make it better. She is smoking hot.

Ass biter, huh? smile
I used to have a cat that required dressing in a heavy canvas jacket and welding gloves for a vet visit. Gummer hated the vet.
U I woulda used to had it too. smirk
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Our chessie was the sweetest dog we've ever had. Turns out he was not a fan of rectal thermometers. I don't recall if he did any real damage, but yes he did nip a vet when the thermometer got shoved up his ass. Also on subsequent visits he made it clear that he wasn't about to have the procedure repeated. After that they wouldn't allow him in their kennels as they said he was an aggressive dog.

Animal "experts" can be fooking stupid.

had the same thing happen with my German sheperd Ranger.
I've got a stupid vet experience for you. Two young female techs are supposed to clip my dog's nails. They put a muzzle on her that's too big, so the top part is actually in contact with my dog's eyes. I tell the techs this, expecting them to realize their error, apologize, take it off and replace it with a correctly sized one. Instead, they poo poo my complaint, saying that there's no way it's touching her eyes. The dog is now going nuts because leather is rubbing on her eyes, and bright red blood starts dripping out of one of them. I now tell them in no uncertain terms to take it off, and they do. Now realizing their error, they get the vet to come in and look at the eye injury. He comes in, looks at the eye, applies some ointment, giving me the remainder of the tube to be applied twice a day, but here's the incredible part: He then adds to my bill (which was supposed to be a mere nail clipping) the examination and prescription for an eye injury. I asked him if he was joking. He insisted that he didn't have the authority to provide services and medications for free. I explained to him what happened, and he still refused to take it off the bill.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've got a stupid vet experience for you. Two young female techs are supposed to clip my dog's nails. They put a muzzle on her that's too big, so the top part is actually in contact with my dog's eyes. I tell the techs this, expecting them to realize their error, apologize, take it off and replace it with a correctly sized one. Instead, they poo poo my complaint, saying that there's no way it's touching her eyes. The dog is now going nuts because leather is rubbing on her eyes, and bright red blood starts dripping out of one of them. I now tell them in no uncertain terms to take it off, and they do. Now realizing their error, they get the vet to come in and look at the eye injury. He comes in, looks at the eye, applies some ointment, giving me the remainder of the tube to be applied twice a day, but here's the incredible part: He then adds to my bill (which was supposed to be a mere nail clipping) the examination and prescription for an eye injury. I asked him if he was joking. He insisted that he didn't have the authority to provide services and medications for free. I explained to him what happened, and he still refused to take it off the bill.

lol was this the schutzen trained doberman or one of your pits?

Name me a dog that isn't a bite risk when a human unknown to the dog attempts to put hands on something that is hurting them without taking proper precautions. I'm no [bleep] Cesar the dog whisperer but if I'm about to mess with a sore on a dog that can actually hurt me whether it knows me or not I'd be making sure the head is controlled firmly away from me and or the muzzle covered. This was a mistake from a unexperienced vet tech simply put. And some of the comments above are so true, thank god it wasn't her face cuz it could have been, she was eye level with him. Crazy part is they love him there and they were all loving on him in the lobby before going into the examining room. Lesson learned for me is to not take for granted that the veterinary office that handles dogs every day knows what they're doing handling my dog.

I have had a number of dogs that would stand and take whatever the Vet had to do just because they were told to take it. One of my setters got into it really bad with a porcupine and before I got all the quills out I lost four inside under the skin. I called the Vet on the way back home from hunting an when I got there she agreed to try to get them out. The first thing she did knowing the dog was to ask did we need anesthesia or could she just go ahead. He just stood there and made like she didn't even exist until she was done cutting and digging.

I train all my dogs to come to me and lay down on the floor on their back between my legs and present their feet for nail trimming. It's not hard to do. I only ever had one dog that wasn't going to comply, and him I just took a couple leads and snapped his head and hips to the chain link kennel fence so he was up on his tippy toes and then I just did it without fuss.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

lol was this the schutzen trained doberman or one of your pits?
My Doberman passed away back in the 1990s at the age of twelve. Wonderful boy. I'd give nearly anything to have him back.

My last Pitbull passed away about five years ago, at about the same age.

The dog in the vet story above was a mix I adopted from the shelter. She was already a year and a few months old when I got her. No telling what she went through before that.

Neither of my Pitbulls (nor my Doberman) ever needed a muzzle at the vet. They were happy go lucky dogs that were affectionate towards everyone. The Doberman would attack on command, but only due to training (not schutzhund .. just regular protection training). He loved being friendly towards people, but his training involved teaching him that, although most people are good, not everybody is (which is what he assumed before he started training).
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

NVT... New Vet Time...
That'll teach em to pay attention when you warn em to muzzle him. In answer to the title question, never had a dog do that. But in high school, I had a show pig bite the crap outa the vet's leg when he stuck a thermometer in the pigs butt. laugh
I have a 90+ lb doberman. He has some protective tendencies and is definitely capable of doing real damage. When we go to the vet, I ask for a muzzle and put it on myself.

I too am amazed at dumb people who approach dogs without getting the ok from the owner or letting the dog get a read on you and vice-versa.

Was at petsmart with my daughter and her brand new puppy. I had my doberman also. Was paying the cashier. My daughter is holding her pup, I have mine on a leash back away just a bit. Cashier asks if he can give the dog a treat as he looks at my daughter's pup. I said sure. Gives the puppy a treat and instantly turns and steps toward my daughter hand extending.

My dog is extremely hard to read, and at the time, it scared the crap out of me because he had the look like he was about to remove this guy's hand from his arm. Luckily for him, my dog was just intent on getting that treat. I was shocked an employee at petsmart didn't know any better.
Bite their ass
Our little local feed store started holding "Vac Clinics" some years back, and like most startups, there were bugs to work out,...the local vets were obstinate at first, so a group that did this regionally came in every other week out of Tucson or Phoenix. There was an area set aside inside of the funky old store, and chairs all around the walls allowed a place to hang with neighbors,visit,wait there turn.The gypsy vet show ran a pretty pushy / ruley operation......"no owners in the clinic area" being one rule that their somewhat mouthy vet tech would not shut up about,....he didn't LISTEN well, either. When my turn came, and Gracey was to take her turn up on there portable table he disregarded my request, "Just let me pat the table, and she'll jump right up".
Nope,....not allowed in the Doc's domain,...so he takes here leash, and walks 4 feet back across "the line that must not be crossed" and tries to gather this fairly stout dog into his arms,....she's having none of that chit, and he gets a younger assistant (his boyfriend I think) to help, and they grab onto Gracey and start wrestling her up,.....bad Idea, she uncoiled and knocked the punk down, and in springing away from the vet tech, pushed him back into a display case of bug spray and lanolin which went all over, the table's brakes didn't hold so as he fell, the table got knocked into the glass fronted cash register counter, and knocks out a panel. Gracey hit the concrete, and turned on the guy, and started her roaring routine, teeth bared, and every hair on her raised,....walking towards him slowly, stiff legged.
[Linked Image]
Vet tech's down on all fours, eyeballing this apparition from the depths of hell, and backing away. Some old rancher type in the waiting area laughed,and someone else applauded, then the whole crowd cracked up,... and bigger than hell turned around and grinned at them.
[Linked Image]
Natural comedienne, she than turned her head back towards the tech pulling himself up off the floor and barks at him.
to good an opportunity to pass up, I walked into the fray, patted the exam table, "Gracey get up here and SIT". She did so, and sat there grinning at everybody to another round of applause.
Next time that gypsy outfit showed, they had a new vet tech,....
These days, our local vets are coming out for the clinics, and the funky old store's seen some substantial improvements, one area set aside as a dedicated clinic, better waiting area, etc.
I've never owned a biting dog
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire