Home
Posted By: LNF150 I feel finger printed to death - 01/18/17
I bought a rifle from KGC couple of weeks ago, had it shipped to a local FFL. It came in last Thursday, filled out the 4473 and he entered it into his computer for the background check. It came back as a 'delay'. So with the weekend and monday being a federal holiday, the three business days for a response got extended.

I call the shop late this afternoon and it was still in a 'delay' status, the owner told me I can pick it up tomorrow morning since the three day period is up. He gave me the NTN number so I could find out why it was in that delay status. But in order find that out I have to get fingerprinted again to send with my request.

But the thing is the feds have my finger prints. I've gotten my prints done for my passport, teaching certificate, CDL, federal employment, all through the years. My prints never change they have always been the same. And I haven't broken any laws nor am I under indictment. So what gives???
Federal employment is the problem. They did a very deep background check. This raises a red flag with NICS. I know numerous people my dad included that have had federal employment or clearance that get delayed.
Virtually every guy that said "my NICS check won't be a problem, I've got top secret or classified clearance" always got delayed. Guaranteed.
Mike,

Did your father and the other people you know finally get the issue resolved? Or was it something that happened to them every time they purchased a firearm?

During my federal employment I was a permanent firefighter for the forest service then the blm. I had clearance to run the light and heavy fire engines which is why I had a cdl. I think they were deemed as emergency vehicle in the federal system. But I would have thought if I passed that background check with no issues, then it shouldn't be a big deal for this.
A gov. security clearance has never caused me any problems when buying a gun.

Not saying that isn't the cause, maybe I just slipped thru the cracks.
Not everyone but most.

The best one was the county facilities security chief that was outright denied. Telling me all about his clearances and how tacticool he was in the decked out county F350. He later admitted that there was something in his past that prevented him from owning guns. I guess that's why he had a taser and big can of pepper spray. 😬
I liked when I got printed for my Michigan CPL they scanned the side of my hand. Cause u know my hands are lethal weapons and I might Karate chop someone to death.
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Right! Clearances don't flag anything on NICS.
There are no entries in NICS from any government clearing agency nor any connection between NICS and those databases because the lists themselves are classified and require need to know to access.
NICS employees and the NICS administration system has no need to know who has a clearance, what it is for, or why they have one any more than your local dog catcher does.
These people who get delayed are:

a) Unlucky and the NICS system is down, backed up, there's a system glitch, or someone goofed with their paperwork.

or

b) There's something in their criminal record, mental health record, or a court order involving domestic violence, stalking, commitment to a mental institution, etc. in their past. Some of the etc can vary by state.

or,

They lied on the Form 4473 or state forms.

Clearances have nothing to do with it.
Originally Posted by LNF150
Mike,

Did your father and the other people you know finally get the issue resolved? Or was it something that happened to them every time they purchased a firearm?

During my federal employment I was a permanent firefighter for the forest service then the blm. I had clearance to run the light and heavy fire engines which is why I had a cdl. I think they were deemed as emergency vehicle in the federal system. But I would have thought if I passed that background check with no issues, then it shouldn't be a big deal for this.

You can do a appeal and get a PIN number which is what requires the fingerprints. The PIN is no guarantee that the check will go through any quicker. My dad never bothered. Gets delayed about 75 percent of the time. He has nothing on his record other than decades old non criminal traffic.

He spoke with the ATF and they could not tell him why he was delayed. But some of the things that can draw a flag and a delay are similar names, something incomplete in there records, or a in depth background check. My dad had to be cleared by the feds for port and airport work when he worked construction. ATF also were the ones that told him the appeal process and PIN would be no guarantee against future delays.

True or not that is what he was told. Also the gun shop I deal a lot has told me the majority of his delays are for law enforcement and military.

Being the government who knows the real answer. No guarantee the appeal and PIN will help you. If your shop is ok with releasing the gun after three days and you can deal with the chance of waiting three days,I would just ride it out.

Okay...now can someone please explain to me how any of this is different than having a licencing system.

Sounds the same to me.
I get delayed every time. I've been printed a dozen times, been cleared to work in secure Govt buildings, had a Concealed Carry since 1995, had a FFL for a long time, but still get delayed.
Welcome to the club! laugh

I was even denied once. Hit the ceiling, I did... I was in the process of calling the number provided when the gunshop got another call from a NICS supervisor and was told they had made an error, that I was GTG.

Still pissed me off soundly.
Thanks Guys

I'm just going to pick up the gun today and roll with it. It probably got delayed because it's a weatherby vanguard in 6.5 creedmoor. Maybe they can't figure out what a creedmoor is or take issue with millimeter measurements. Who knows.
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Right! Clearances don't flag anything on NICS.
There are no entries in NICS from any government clearing agency nor any connection between NICS and those databases because the lists themselves are classified and require need to know to access.
NICS employees and the NICS administration system has no need to know who has a clearance, what it is for, or why they have one any more than your local dog catcher does.
These people who get delayed are:

a) Unlucky and the NICS system is down, backed up, there's a system glitch, or someone goofed with their paperwork.

or

b) There's something in their criminal record, mental health record, or a court order involving domestic violence, stalking, commitment to a mental institution, etc. in their past. Some of the etc can vary by state.

or,

They lied on the Form 4473 or state forms.

Clearances have nothing to do with it.
Wrong
There is a man with the exact same name, born on the same day,same year that has federal warrants. Slows down my gun buying a little. He was born in Detroit. I was born in Texas.
Should try being retired CIA and buying guns.... LOL that was funny in a way
Idaho is one of those states where CCP holders can bypass the NICS check. It saves some pain sometimes.
There's a guy in our club that had to call the police when his neighbor committed suicide. So his name is on the police report as the originator of the call where a gun was used. He constantly got delayed after that. He got one of the ATF PINs to help but still got delayed. He was finally told, by a supervisor, that the NICS phone agents are not investigators, only check databases. If a name is associated with a police report that involves guns, in any way, the check will be delayed and passed to an investigator. He was told that could be the case for 5 years or more. Not me, but I trust the guy. Pretty much sucks.

Bob
Originally Posted by Bobcape
There's a guy in our club that had to call the police when his neighbor committed suicide. So his name is on the police report as the originator of the call where a gun was used. He constantly got delayed after that. He got one of the ATF PINs to help but still got delayed. He was finally told, by a supervisor, that the NICS phone agents are not investigators, only check databases. If a name is associated with a police report that involves guns, in any way, the check will be delayed and passed to an investigator. He was told that could be the case for 5 years or more. Not me, but I trust the guy. Pretty much sucks.

Bob

Yup,....as a system it absolutely reeks of poor design parameters, and has NOTHING whatsoever to do with keeping this nation safe or secure,...

GTC
any traffic violation or unpaid tickets ?

P.
Originally Posted by persiandog

P.

Felony convictions, felony warrants, fugitive from justice, etc.

But, I can see NICS progressing into all sorts of "disqualifications" if allowed to do so.

We'd better thank our lucky stars it isn't Hitlery being sworn in tomorrow.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

P.

Felony convictions, felony warrants, fugitive from justice, etc.

But, I can see NICS progressing into all sorts of "disqualifications" if allowed to do so.

We'd better thank our lucky stars it isn't Hitlery being sworn in tomorrow.

Just did it again, been doing it frequently for weeks and will continue to right up to the point that Trump takes the oath. Man, that was close!
When I was in the Marine Corps I had an FFL and would get guns for guys I worked with. The ones with top secret clearances would get delayed every time, never had one denied. There's something in the system that flags them. As crossfire says, it's a flawed system. It should have never been instituted in the first place but since we're stuck with it at least make it work right.

P.

In the last 20 years I got pull over once for not having my seat belt on before leaving a walmart parking lot by a city officer who was driving into the walmart parking lot. That was a warning ticket. Five years ago, I had a headlight out on my truck, got a warning for that, too. Those were the only two times I've been pulled over. And I don't have any felonies, no D.V. charges nor have been put in a loony bin ever. I have a lifetime hunting license and teach hunter education for the state, so I passed those background checks.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
When I was in the Marine Corps I had an FFL and would get guns for guys I worked with. The ones with top secret clearances would get delayed every time, never had one denied. There's something in the system that flags them. As crossfire says, it's a flawed system. It should have never been instituted in the first place but since we're stuck with it at least make it work right.

Exactly right.

I know a old nuclear scientist from Los Alamos, that got delayed everytime he bought a gun. A LGS I help out out has a retired Army guy, that said he had high level security clearances and was constantly getting delayed. Also a supising number of the local police and sheriff's deputies get delays. Most just got a concealed carry permit so they didn't need a NICS.
some police officers file a charge without telling you ( I know that for fact ) , it is up to DA to dismiss or bring up charges,or ignore . may be one of those cases.

P.
Well after all of that I went into the gun shop today and the owner said he was given the OK this morning to 'proceed'. So the transaction is all good, I'm just kind of stymied as to the 'why'?
I held a Top Secret clearance from about 1964 thru 2003.I was finger printed so many times. Hell, even Russia probably had mine.

Never had a hold up once.I had an FFL for about ten years in the 80's. That went straight thru
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I held a Top Secret clearance from about 1964 thru 2003.I was finger printed so many times. Hell, even Russia probably had mine.

Never had a hold up once.I had an FFL for about ten years in the 80's. That went straight thru

Yes, that is the thing I can't figure out. Some people with history like yours have trouble and some don't. Some people I know that have had "troubled times" don't get delayed. Just goes to show we don't really know what the .gov has in our file, or what criteria the NICS is using in the search.
I too have had clearances and never a problem, unless I included my SSN. I did that once or thrice and there was a delay every time.
how about :

1- alimony , palimony ?
2- have you every dated an isis member ?
3- ever had sex with opposite sex ?
4- ever travelled to Syria ?
5- did you use your maiden name ?
6- does your name has a dash or ' in it , like O'Brien ?

P.

Bob

I heard a similar story out here. I don't remember many UPIN that didn't result in exactly the same outcome.....delayed. Those were memorable because the buyer was rightfully pissed. It's a stupid ass system!
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I too have had clearances and never a problem, unless I included my SSN. I did that once or thrice and there was a delay every time.

That's weird but happens to others I've seen. After several smooth transactions a guy I was friends with told me that and I doubted him, he put his social down and darned if he didn't get delayed.
Posted By: las Re: I feel finger printed to death - 01/19/17
Originally Posted by LNF150
Thanks Guys

I'm just going to pick up the gun today and roll with it. It probably got delayed because it's a weatherby vanguard in 6.5 creedmoor. Maybe they can't figure out what a creedmoor is or take issue with millimeter measurements. Who knows.

Probably wouldn't have that problem with a .270.
This is all quite fascinating.

Dave
I don't understand why the NICS need any info about the firearm to do the background check. The dealer has to tell if you are buying a handgun, rifle or shotgun. It makes no sense since, by law, they can't keep the data from the background checks. So why do they need to know what type of firearm is being purchased? It's supposed to only be a check to see if the purchaser is a prohibited person.

Bob
I don't understand why the NICS need any info about the firearm to do the background check. The dealer has to tell if you are buying a handgun, rifle or shotgun. It makes no sense since, by law, they can't keep the data from the background checks. So why do they need to know what type of firearm is being purchased? It's supposed to only be a check to see if the purchaser is a prohibited person.

Bob

Government following the law, right they are so good at that. I am fairly certain that there is at least short term storage of NICS data and likely a complete database.

A situation that has always made me wonder about NICS keeping data was with my Remington 597 in 17HMR.

The gun was recalled several years after I got it. It was bought new all legal NICS check was done. I never filed anything with remington as far as a warranty card or ever had work done on the firearm by them. I got a letter from remington stating the gun was recalled.

Ok nice to get the notice but where did my info come from??? Did they go to the distributor get a list of retailers then call them or go to them to check records. I doubt it. But perhaps a call to whoever.gov asking for info on buyers that bought the recall effected model. Same may say put down the tinfoil but a searchable gov database makes the most sense. The gun was produced for seven years. Had to be many thousands out there. Be a huge task to track them down retailer by retailer.
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Wrong

Care to document that or just "what you heard"?

You are misinformed.

Bob

The NICS does not ask for any information about the gun other than, Long Gun, Handgun, or Other (Receivers or Frames). The only exception to that is when you buy two or more handguns within 5 consecutive business days, or if you live in a border state, two or more "Assault weapons " within 5 consecutive working days, from the same dealer. Then the dealer has to submit a multiple weapons form which includes firearm type and serial numbers.

In the case of a recall by the manufacturer the only way they could get any information on you is from a dealer and in 35 years of dealing closely with a couple of local gunstores, I've never seen or heard of them doing that. We have recieved recall notices, but never a request for information.

Many years ago we did get a request from the ATF to inform people that had purchased Streetsweeper shotguns, that they must apply for a tax stamp for them. But they never ask for who had purchased them.
© 24hourcampfire