Home
friend is a mercury dealer, he put this on FB.

Chris Coulter That motor is capable of turning 10000 rpm I did it in school and the instructor smiled it's coming and it's coming soon

[Linked Image]
Damn...
they still have a ways to go before they catch the Seven Marine outboards.
http://www.seven-marine.com/
That'll move a boat faster than I care to be going in a boat! smile

Better have your locknuts on tight! grin
50 on the water is scary
buddy had a hydrosport tunnel hull experimental model that would get right at 90mph. had a souped up mariner on it.state trooper clocked us on lake anna in va.running 86mph. he watched as we went to the marina and drove in and met us at the ramp just to see what motor was on the boat.i cant imagine a 500hp.
Plan on those not working for about 5 years.
I know there are some applications that just call for an outboard, but before I dropped the kind of cash they cost I would rather have a good straight inboard I can work on cheap.
Originally Posted by hanco
50 on the water is scary

Probably depends on how much hull you've got under you. I've got an 18.5' deep V walleye boat that runs low 50's and my 8yr old daughter sits on my lap and steers it wide open.
Went down the high performance road in '86 with a 26' Sutphen configured for offshore fishing. 2 x 225 Johnson C/R surface drives would top 90 mph and my butt got kinda tight around 75-80. Comfortable an economic cruise in the 55-60 mph range provided time for an extra cup of Joe before leaving the dock. 3' seas were fun, 4-5' made you pay attention and maybe add flight time to the pilot log book.

Kind of power they're sporting around today will put a lot of fellas in an early grave. 80 on the water is serious bidness.
Mercury can't get a 150HP to run right; I'd run away from this.
I wonder if the price will make it a real option for buyers/boat-builders currently using twin and triple engine applications.
Originally Posted by Slidellkid

You are full of it.

Merc in my opinion is now the leader in outboards, and I've run them all. They have it figured out as far as the Verado line and Merc 150 Four Stroke line goes.

The Verado line is now currently bulletproof in the 175-250 range.
Have a 6 year old 2 stroke Merc 150 that hasn't even hiccuped yet..

Really like that motor.....

[Linked Image]
Lots of Mercs running North of 3 or 4k hours in my area. And that's pushing heavy boats, full of people through swell, which is the real test for an outboard. Swell puts a lot of stress on an outboard.

All outboards are pretty good right now. Nobody can get away with making junk anymore.

Never heard of those Seven motors Badass!!
Look at the price tag on those 7s. Then look at resale value.
Nice, but how will they do for back trolling walleye in the chop?
Originally Posted by noKnees
I know there are some applications that just call for an outboard, but before I dropped the kind of cash they cost I would rather have a good straight inboard I can work on cheap.

Boats and cheap don't go in the same sentence. If you're running offshore, reliable is what you want. When you're 20 miles from shore and a $50 part breaks with building swells, you're not going to be patting yourself on the back for your ability to save a buck.
Nope Calvin, not full of it. I have direct experience with a 150 Verado. I am glad Mercury has finally got them figured out. My 2007 150 Verado was a total POS. It stayed in the shop more than it ran and it cost me a buttload each time to fix it. But hey, it only took them a decade to get it right.

would never buy another Mercury that hadn't at least been tested for 5 or 6 years by the public so they can work out the "bugs".

Then again, why buy a Mercury at all when there are such better motors out there. Residual resale value tells the story.
The 150 Verado was one of the best they built. When they dropped the 150, guys were scooping up the remaining as quickly as they could. I know 1st gen 150 Verados still running strong with over 4k hours on them. Entire lodges use the 150 and will replace them with the 175 once they blow. 1st gen 250s were a bit wonky, but we still got 2500 hours out of them. The lowers were a bit weak, but that has long been addressed. And we use them hard.

Sorry you got a lemon, but as a whole, they are the best thing going right now.

Didn't warranty cover the first 3 years? I feel there is more to this story...
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by hanco
50 on the water is scary

Probably depends on how much hull you've got under you. I've got an 18.5' deep V walleye boat that runs low 50's and my 8yr old daughter sits on my lap and steers it wide open.

This.

My 24' offshore center console will just break 50mph...far from scary and wish I had a little more top end.

My father's 19.5' Ranger will do right at 74mph. Much more "Flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants" feeling and at the limit of what is comfortable as a passenger (IMO). Driving it is a different story...can't get enough of it.

I've gone 90mph in a buddy's Allison...once. Won't do that again.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by noKnees

Boats and cheap don't go in the same sentence. If you're running offshore, reliable is what you want. When you're 20 miles from shore and a $50 part breaks with building swells, you're not going to be patting yourself on the back for your ability to save a buck.

Yep. B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand.

Reliability is paramount. Some inboards are stalwarts in the sport but down here at least, there has been a very steady gravitation towards outboards vs inboards. Reliability isn't as big an issue as it used to be with outboards. The same advancements that have benefited automobiles have steadily made their way into outboards as well. And some things I would have never thought to see on a dedicated saltwater rig either--things like fly-by wire throttles, steering, and monitoring of systems that was once not even imaginable. And maintenance is far simpler on outboards. No need to stand on your head in a filthy bilge to change an oil filter or swap a hose. Outboards give you unlimited access to perform routine engine maintenance and they also don't require additional holes in your hull for cooling.
I had two years of warranty remaining after I purchased the boat/motor, but it virtually broke every time I took it out so it was constantly in the shop. After the warranty expired, I pay out of pocket for repairs till I had had enough and sold the package.

No offense meant about Verado's. Mine was just a bad one I guess, but it certainly put a sour taste in my mouth as you might expect. I am sure that in Alaska they get abused about as much is possible for a motor, so if you say folks love them and are getting thousands of hours out of them I can certainly respect your opinion.

225 and under I'd be all over from Merc. But I wouldn't touch this with a 10' post.

Then again, why buy a Mercury at all when there are such better motors out there. Residual resale value tells the story.

That I agree with.

© 24hourcampfire