Home
Posted By: joken2 Vintage Aerial - 01/21/17

Thought maybe some might find this interesting.

"Vintage Aerial has more than 20 million photos, taken in 41 states over the second half of the twentieth century. If you are looking for an aerial photograph of a rural area or small township, we most likely have your picture."

(Viewing is free.) https://vintageaerial.com/photos

https://vintageaerial.com/

Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/21/17
That site does not have pictures from the areas I want.

Google Earth does.

Google Earth
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/21/17
jo
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Google Earth does.

Google Earth

but.....nobody cares about you....
Posted By: joken2 Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/21/17

Google Earth does.

Google Earth

Does Google Earth offer thousands of aerial photos taken as far back as the early 80s?

That's what the site I posted is all about--the way a specific location/area looked back then, not now.

Posted By: 222Rem Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/21/17
Thanks for the link. I'm enjoying the old photos, even if I can't find my families houses........yet.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/21/17
BTW, is this old CIA film from before satellites did the dirty work? Any guesses?
Posted By: GunReader Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/21/17
There were books published that had pictures of most farmsteads and etc. in a county. I suspect these are the same photographers that would come around and offer you a nicely mounted picture of your place.

They probably tie in to the ariel surveys counties use to watch for taxable improvements.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/21/17

I don't know if they still do but our KSP used to fly over and take photos searching for marijuana grows.

An old family friend had some law enforcement agency show up at his farm once and want to know what it was that he had planted out in the middle of one of his corn fields. He told them it was watermelons but he still had to take them out there and show them. They asked why he planted them way out in the corn field? He told them that is how we've always hid our watermelon patches from watermelon thieves,.. but it looks like you found then anyway.

Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/22/17

Google Earth does.

Google Earth

Birds fly upside down over Connecticut, because there's nothing there worth crapping on, including you.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/22/17
Originally Posted by joken2

I don't know if they still do but our KSP used to fly over and take photos searching for marijuana grows. ...

They still do it. Two or three Blackhawks flying in formation go up and down the Licking River every summer. Looks kinda like a training sortie. But they are looking for weed being grown on the river bank, or islands.

About 15 years ago, next door neighbor (80+ years old) had a KSP helicopter and 6 cruisers show up in his front yard one morning. His house sat on a river cliff and included a seasonal island in the middle of the river. Turned out that someone was floating in at night, tending a crop on the island, and then floating out before daylight. KSP picked it up on one of their over flights.

The six troopers made several trips up and down the hillside (250ft elevation) carrying shocks of weed harvested off the island. In the middle of August. He said they were soaked thru by the time they got loaded up and left.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/22/17
They have nothing in my area, either.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/22/17
Nothing there for me.
Posted By: hanco Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/22/17
They have some interesting pics
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/22/17
I checked quite a few counties in ID and there are no photos in any of them. Most of the country west of the Mississippi is blank.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Vintage Aerial - 01/22/17
i thought it was about the motorcycle.
© 24hourcampfire